Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN:Many wines with SOBER

SOBER met last night at Michael's home. Michael did a bang up job on
his dinner, with the theme "The Blind Leading the Blind."

We started with a couple of non-blind whites:

2002 Latour Meursault
Round, ripe, peachy. Nice but not intriguing. B

2004 Sylvain Langoureau " Les Perclos" Chassagne-Montrachet
Never heard of this producer before, but will keep an eye out now.
Crisp yet solid Chassagne, pear and earth tones. B+

First course was French onion soup, and the blind wines started:

Wine #1
Some oak, round, a bit of ripe pear and some hazelnut. I actually am
thinking white Bordeaux SB/sem blend from a hot year, but I'm wrong.
It's Burg- 2003 Henri Boillot "Les Genevrieres" Meursault 1er. B

Wine #2
Crisp, bright, citrusy, layers of butterscotch and spice. 2004
Carillon "Les Champs Gains" Puligny-Montrachet 1er. B+/A-

Next course was salmon with a horseradish beurre blanc and asparagus.
Mike was worried re the horseradish and the wine, but it was fine.

Wine #3
Clear edge, slightly bricked color, good acidity, quite spicy. Dan
guesses Dujac.
1996 Dujac Clos de la Roche. A-/A

Wine #4
Similar coloring, bright, black cherry, leaves, and mushrooms. 1996
Hubert Lignier "les Chaffots" Morey-St-Denis 1er A-

I think we were all amazed at how open and giving these '96s were. We
were all in Burgundy, but guessing centered on '85-'91.

Next up, braised short ribs with mashed potatoes and mushrooms
Wine # 5
Good fresh blackberry fruit, moderate tannins, nice length. It's the
1998 Domaine de la Mordoree "Cuvee de la Reine des Bois" Chateauneuf-
du-Pape. B/B+

Wine # 6
Cassis, cedar, resolved tannins. I'm thinking this is a mature ripe
Bordeaux. Mike says "this is the one I said no one would ever guess."
Time for social engineering. Ok, obscure, but tastes like Bordeaux- I
blurt "Madiran" to Mike's astonishment. I admit without hint I would
never have gotten. 1990 Ch. Bibian (Madiran). B+

Wine # 7
Some definite VA to the nose, ripe raisiny fruit, I think Amarone.
Gets a little less raisiny, some herb and mint join in. Dan says
Australia. Yep, 1990 Penfolds Grange. B

Cheese course included Saulzais, Abbaye Citeaux, Tomette du Tarn, and
Echourgnac (all good, but the last especially fascinating, washed in
nut liquer, tastes of walnuts).

Wine # 8
Clearly claret. Nice lighter styled Bordeaux, a bit herby, I'm sure
we're talking Merlot and Cab Franc and guess St. Emilion. Our jaws
drop as the the 1990 Ch. Greysac (Medoc) is revealed. B+

Wine # 9
Pretty sure Bordeaux, pretty sure Right Bank. Tannic, a bit hard, with
a green streak. Wrong side again, not the best showing for the 1990
Rausan-Segla (Margaux). B-

Wine # 10
Very good, minty, fresh, delicious cassis fruit. Dan gets CA pretty
quick, and Caymus with an early guess. 1994 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
(Napa). A-

Dessert of polenta cookies and ice cream.

1977's Dow Vintage Port
Not blind (too bad, as I had day before, maybe would have gotten).
Lovely Port in a not so heavy style. B+/A-

Food and wine were both great. Fun night, just wish I hadn't needed to
drive, would have been good night to let loose. Much nice wine in the
bucket.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Only a B for the Grange,huh? Do you think it's past prime for a '90 Grange?
I've got a freind who's holding a few early 90's, I wanna say '91-'96. Maybe
he should think about cracking one or two open soon, and let me help him do
it!!
"DaleW" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Wine # 10
> Very good, minty, fresh, delicious cassis fruit. Dan gets CA pretty
> quick, and Caymus with an early guess. 1994 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
> (Napa). A-
>
> Dessert of polenta cookies and ice cream.
>
> 1977's Dow Vintage Port
> Not blind (too bad, as I had day before, maybe would have gotten).
> Lovely Port in a not so heavy style. B+/A-
>
> Food and wine were both great. Fun night, just wish I hadn't needed to
> drive, would have been good night to let loose. Much nice wine in the
> bucket.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 30, 7:03�pm, "Jim Risley" > wrote:
> [...]

> > Wine # 10
> > Very good, minty, fresh, delicious cassis fruit. Dan gets CA pretty
> > quick, and Caymus with an early guess. 1994 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
> > (Napa). A-

> > Dessert of polenta cookies and ice cream.

> > 1977's Dow Vintage Port
> > Not blind (too bad, as I had day before, maybe would have gotten).
> > Lovely Port in a not so heavy style. �B+/A-

> > Food and wine were both great. Fun night, just wish I hadn't needed to
> > drive, would have been good night to let loose. Much nice wine in the
> > bucket.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.- Hide quoted text -

Three thoughts:
1)Well, this is one of the problems with blind tasting. If I had been
already expecting AU Shiraz, maybe I might have liked better. It
didn't seem tired, just ungainly.
2) Unsure this was pristine, the VA note seems a little unusual.
3) I'm just not the biggest Grange fan anyway. Just personal tastes-
I've had several vintages, blind and unblind, and it's never been
close to my WOTN.

I think Grange fans would say 20-25 years is usually ideal.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the clarification. I've always associated( incorrectly,perhaps?)
a raisiny note with a wine that may be headed south, thus the query. Sounds
like a killer tasting. Did the host provide all the wines that were tasted,
or did every attendee bring something? Just wondering how that worked.
"DaleW" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > bucket.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.-

Three thoughts:
1)Well, this is one of the problems with blind tasting. If I had been
already expecting AU Shiraz, maybe I might have liked better. It
didn't seem tired, just ungainly.
2) Unsure this was pristine, the VA note seems a little unusual.
3) I'm just not the biggest Grange fan anyway. Just personal tastes-
I've had several vintages, blind and unblind, and it's never been
close to my WOTN.

I think Grange fans would say 20-25 years is usually ideal.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 30, 7:21�pm, "Jim Risley" > wrote:
> [...]

> > > bucket.

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.-

> Three thoughts:
> 1)Well, this is one of the problems with blind tasting. If I had been
> already expecting AU Shiraz, maybe I might have liked better. It
> didn't seem tired, just ungainly.
> 2) Unsure this was pristine, the VA note seems a little unusual.
> 3) I'm just not the biggest Grange fan anyway. Just personal tastes-
> I've had several vintages, blind and unblind, and it's never been
> close to my WOTN.
>
> I think Grange fans would say 20-25 years is usually ideal.- Hide quoted text -

I think sometimes pruney/raisiny notes can be a sign of tiredness, but
it can also just come from very ripe grapes.

This group has a different format than my other groups (where we all
bring wines, usually around a theme). In this group:
1) host furnishes dinner
2) host furnishes all wines
3) every attendee chips in towards wine, with a $150/pp limit.
Host gets a budget to play with. Wines can be valued up to current
market, but most of us split the difference between what we paid and
current FMV. It's a chance to show off what you have, but at same time
you get some wine cash in (though in most cases won't come close to
replacing). Gives the one person in group who is younger and doesn't
have much of a cellar cash to buy older stuff. Also eliminates
resentments if someone drops out before its their turn to host, or
that someone is bringing cheaper stuff (in general wine geeks are TOO
generous, but I have run across the person who always signs up for the
'93 or '97 in Bdx verticals, or the guy who brings a negociant CdR to
a Rhone tasting where others are bringing Cote Rotie).

So far it has worked very well for a couple of years. About half crowd
is in the business (a wine critic/writer, another writer/consultant, a
VP of a big importer, a guy from a wine auction house), the rest are
just geeks. A lot of truly wonderful wines.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 31, 8:14Â*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 7:21�pm, "Jim Risley" > wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the clarification. I've always associated( incorrectly,perhaps?)
> > a raisiny note with a wine that may be headed south, thus the query. Sounds
> > like a killer tasting. Did the host provide all the wines that were tasted,
> > or did every attendee bring something? Just wondering how that worked."DaleW" > wrote in message

> > On Jan 30, 7:03?pm, "Jim Risley" > wrote:

> > > Only a B for the Grange,huh? Do you think it's past prime for a '90
> > > Grange?
> > > I've got a freind who's holding a few early 90's, I wanna say '91-'96.
> > > Maybe
> > > he should think about cracking one or two open soon, and let me ?help him
> > > do

> > Three thoughts:
> > 1)Well, this is one of the problems with blind tasting. If I had been
> > already expecting AU Shiraz, maybe I might have liked better. It
> > didn't seem tired, just ungainly.
> > 2) Unsure this was pristine, the VA note seems a little unusual.
> > 3) I'm just not the biggest Grange fan anyway. Just personal tastes-
> > I've had several vintages, blind and unblind, and it's never been
> > close to my WOTN.

> > I think Grange fans would say 20-25 years is usually ideal.- Hide quoted text -

> I think sometimes pruney/raisiny notes can be a sign of tiredness, but
> it can also just come from very ripe grapes.
>
> This group has a different format than my other groups (where we all
> bring wines, usually around a theme). In this group:
> 1) host furnishes dinner
> 2) host furnishes all wines
> 3) every attendee chips in towards wine, with a $150/pp limit.
> Host gets a budget to play with. Wines can be valued up to current
> market, but most of us split the difference between what we paid and
> current FMV. It's a chance to show off what you have, but at same time
> you get some wine cash in (though in most cases won't come close to
> replacing). Gives the one person in group who is younger and doesn't
> have much of a cellar cash to buy older stuff. Also eliminates
> resentments if someone drops out before its their turn to host, or
> that someone is bringing cheaper stuff (in general wine geeks are TOO
> generous, but I have run across the person who always signs up for the
> '93 or '97 in Bdx verticals, or the guy who brings a negociant CdR to
> a Rhone tasting where others are bringing Cote Rotie).
>
> So far it has worked very well for a couple of years. About half crowd
> is in the business (a wine critic/writer, another writer/consultant, a
> VP of a big importer, a guy from a wine auction house), the rest are
> just geeks. A lot of truly wonderful wines.- Hide quoted text -

I like the format and may suggest it for our group. Quite a line-up
of wines!
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article <Gw8oj.7190$ZO5.2101@trnddc03>,
"Jim Risley" > wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. I've always associated( incorrectly,perhaps?)
> a raisiny note with a wine that may be headed south, thus the query. Sounds
> like a killer tasting. Did the host provide all the wines that were tasted,
> or did every attendee bring something? Just wondering how that worked.
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
> On Jan 30, 7:03?pm, "Jim Risley" > wrote:
> > Only a B for the Grange,huh? Do you think it's past prime for a '90
> > Grange?
> > I've got a freind who's holding a few early 90's, I wanna say '91-'96.
> > Maybe
> > he should think about cracking one or two open soon, and let me ?help him
> > do
> > it!!"DaleW" > wrote in message
> >

> Three thoughts:
> 1)Well, this is one of the problems with blind tasting. If I had been
> already expecting AU Shiraz, maybe I might have liked better. It
> didn't seem tired, just ungainly.
> 2) Unsure this was pristine, the VA note seems a little unusual.
> 3) I'm just not the biggest Grange fan anyway. Just personal tastes-
> I've had several vintages, blind and unblind, and it's never been
> close to my WOTN.
>
> I think Grange fans would say 20-25 years is usually ideal.

I've always thought that Grange had raisiny notes to it and that is one
reason I've never really liked it. Also, for what you get it is too
expensive.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 29, 7:17�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Wine #2
> Crisp, bright, citrusy, layers of butterscotch and spice. 2004
> Carillon "Les Champs Gains" Puligny-Montrachet 1er. B+/A-

I need to correct this, it was "Champ-Canet"