Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] 1994 Dom. du Pegau

Tonight, with a dinner of venison-black bean chili, I opened:

1994 Domaine du Pégaü Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
color: medium-dark garnet at the center; orange at the rim
nose: a complex mix of herbs, kirsch, meat and a hint of allspice
palate: medium-full body, rich but not heavy, good balance, lots of fruit

You really couldn't ask for much more from a CdP. This one had great
balance, complexity and enough fruit for even someone used to California
wines. Considering that '94 was a good, but not great, year in the S.
Rhone, this wine is a great success for the vintage. I don't see it
getting any better than it is today, but I'd guess that it has another 5
years in it, easily. I'm glad that I have some more.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1994 Dom. du Pegau

On Jan 5, 2:09�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, with a dinner of venison-black bean chili, I opened:
>
> 1994 Domaine du P�ga� Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuv�e R�serv�e
> color: medium-dark garnet at the center; orange at the rim
> nose: a complex mix of herbs, kirsch, meat and a hint of allspice
> palate: �medium-full body, rich but not heavy, good balance, lots of fruit
>
> You really couldn't ask for much more from a CdP. �This one had great
> balance, complexity and enough fruit for even someone used to California
> wines. �Considering that '94 was a good, but not great, year in the S.
> Rhone, this wine is a great success for the vintage. �I don't see it
> getting any better than it is today, but I'd guess that it has another 5
> years in it, easily. �I'm glad that I have some more.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Seems to be a venison and CdP theme recently. Always a favorite match
for me.
BILL
Visit WWW.Billburg.myminicity.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 5, 3:09 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, with a dinner of venison-black bean chili, I opened:
>
> 1994 Domaine du Pégaü Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
> color: medium-dark garnet at the center; orange at the rim
> e: a complex mix of herbs, kirsch, meat and a hint of allspice
> palate: medium-full body, rich but not heavy, good balance, lots of fruit
>
> You really couldn't ask for much more from a CdP. This one had great
> balance, complexity and enough fruit for even someone used to California
> wines. Considering that '94 was a good, but not great, year in the S.
> Rhone, this wine is a great success for the vintage. I don't see it
> getting any better than it is today, but I'd guess that it has another 5
> years in it, easily. I'm glad that I have some more.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Mm, sounds stunning. Then again, it's Pegau - so I'm not surprised.
Pegau and any sort of meat seems to be instant satisfaction.

Happy New Year Mark - look forward to hearing about your tales from
the wine tours.

Cheers,

Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
Salil > wrote:

> On Jan 5, 3:09 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > Tonight, with a dinner of venison-black bean chili, I opened:
> >
> > 1994 Domaine du Pégaü Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
> > color: medium-dark garnet at the center; orange at the rim
> > e: a complex mix of herbs, kirsch, meat and a hint of allspice
> > palate: medium-full body, rich but not heavy, good balance, lots of fruit
> >
> > You really couldn't ask for much more from a CdP. This one had great
> > balance, complexity and enough fruit for even someone used to California
> > wines. Considering that '94 was a good, but not great, year in the S.
> > Rhone, this wine is a great success for the vintage. I don't see it
> > getting any better than it is today, but I'd guess that it has another 5
> > years in it, easily. I'm glad that I have some more.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> Mm, sounds stunning. Then again, it's Pegau - so I'm not surprised.
> Pegau and any sort of meat seems to be instant satisfaction.
>
> Happy New Year Mark - look forward to hearing about your tales from
> the wine tours.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Salil

Since Pegau always smells like roasted meat to me it is always a good
match with any big meat meal Always a bit overwhelming by itself for me.

{TN] '98 Pegau Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 30-06-2012 03:15 AM
[TN] '99 Pegau CdP Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 12 10-06-2010 10:59 PM
'85 Cos, '00 Pegau, etc. Bi!! Wine 0 23-12-2009 04:50 PM
Pegau in Vermont Bi!! Wine 0 15-10-2008 07:06 PM
TN: 1993 Dom. du Pegau CdP Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 25-03-2007 09:33 PM