Posted to alt.food.wine

Default More 2006 German Riesling

Opened a 2006 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Kabinett* last night with
dinner.

And yes, it's a Kabinett designated as one star. Although just calling
it an Auslese might be more appropriate. I'm glad I saw the note on
this in the Terry Theise catalogue before buying, else I might have
had a bit of a shock when opening it and expecting a light Kabinett.
Instead I bought this expecting a cheap ($16) baby Auslese to go with
spicy food and it really delivers on that level.

Very light yellow colour with an absolutely gorgeous nose that just
keeps getting better with time. Aromas of flowers, limes, peach,
guava, some tropical fruit and slate - and with some time in the
glass, the floral element really starts to dominate and give it an
almost perfumed character. On the palate this is fairly sweet with
limes, sweet tropical fruits, baked apple and enough acidity to hold
it together. Clean, medium length finish and an outstanding food wine.
Can definitely see myself having this with a good range of cheeses or
various Thai/Indian/Malay dishes with a bit of heat to them. Amazing
value.

Cheers,

Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Salil" > wrote in message
> Opened a 2006 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Kabinett* last night with
> dinner.
>
> And yes, it's a Kabinett designated as one star. Although just calling
> it an Auslese might be more appropriate. I'm glad I saw the note on
> this in the Terry Theise catalogue before buying, else I might have
> had a bit of a shock when opening it and expecting a light Kabinett.
> Instead I bought this expecting a cheap ($16) baby Auslese to go with
> spicy food and it really delivers on that level.

Salil,
Searched for this and found that my state (PA) has the 2005 in stock. Any
experience with this vintage?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 11, 1:26 am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> Salil,
> Searched for this and found that my state (PA) has the 2005 in stock. Any
> experience with this vintage?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

05 is just a tremendous vintage. I'm guessing what you saw is just the
Kabinett, not the Kabinett one-star (as Meulenhof only made that in 06
with that level of ripeness/botrytis).

Grab the Kabinett from 05 though, but see if you can find Meulenhof's
Spatlesen from that year - particularly from Erdener Treppchen and
Erdener Pralat.

Cheers,

Salil