Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Three 75 & 76 German Riesling auslesen, Mouton 70, Le Montrachet1981

I am behind in my tasting notes. These notes will be brief. AQll
bottles had been stored properly by me since shortly after release,
The fills were all high, and there were no cork or other issues.

Forster Jesuitengarten Riesling Auslese1976, Bassermann-Jordan, AP Nr.
5 106 064 577. Still holding well. Very ripe and full, but with not as
much tropical fruit as some of the best 76 auslesen. Perhaps a bit
soft. There was nearly too much heat in 76 for this vineyard, and, in
my opinion, the best of the 76 Rauenthalers were better and loaded
with tropical fruit, honey, and enough acidity.

Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese 1976, von Hovel. AP Nr. 3525
781/5/77. Fully mature and holding. Clean petrol old Riesling
character. Enough acid. Grapefruit and mixed temperate fruit. While
this is a very good wine and very good value, it is not up to Egon
Muller's very outstanding 76 and 71 auslesen which would now cost you
a fortune if you can find them at all.

Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese 1975, Thanisch, AP Nr. 2 598 176
129 76. Holding well. Typical 75 Mosel character which is not as rich
and tropical as the 76s. Good balance. Some clean petrol character.

Mouton-Rothschild 1970. Mouton is one of the most difficult wines for
me to evaluate when young, and apparently for many others. It can be
dumb and tannic for many years. I have reported on it here in recent
years, and all of the recent bottles have been much the same. It is a
quite full wine, still has decent fruit, and the tannins have resolved
enough so that the wine shows well. While not up to the blockbuster 61
or 45 Moutons, it is quite decent. On auction in the UK, the 70 Mouton
is now selling for more than any of the first growths with the
exception of Latour. Of course Petrus is more expensive, as usual.

Le Montrachet 1981, Louis Latour. Latour's Le Montrachet from this era
came from someone else. If I remember correctly, Latour exchanged some
of his top whites with another grower so they would both have more of
the top wines to sell. This wine is light lemon in color and still
holding well. It is fairly big with a long aftertaste. There is a bit
of stone fruit character. Although there is oak, it is not excessive.
The balance is good. Perhaps not up to DRC and a few others, but not
bad.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Nice notes, I'm envious. What are Rauenthalers?

On Jul 11, 6:09 am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
it is not up to Egon
> Muller's very outstanding 76 and 71 auslesen which would now cost you
> a fortune if you can find them at all.

And not a small fortune, either.
The Egon Muller cult has got out of hand. I had put a Winesearcher
alert for the 2007s. Got alert last night, checked. 2007 QbA $33,
Spatlese $96, Auslesen $222. For prearrival. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 11, 9:05*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Nice notes, I'm envious. What are Rauenthalers?

Rauenthal is a Weinbauort(village)in the Grosslage Steinmacher which
is in the Anbaugebiet(region) Rheingau. There are several outstanding
vineyards, some of the best known being Baiken, Gehrn, Rothenberg,
Langenstuck, Wulfen and Nonnenberg. These vineyards have a cooler
climate than some areas of the Rheingau, but in very good to
exceptional years they can be among the best Rheingaus and can be
expensive. The largest owner is the state domain with about 28 ha. The
total vineyard area is only about 100 ha For some reason, perhaps the
fairly small production, these wines have not been as well known in
the US as say Schloss Johannisberg, but they are often better than
even this famous wine in good years. The Germans are more than happy
to drink up all of these wines they can get and afford in good years.

> On Jul 11, 6:09 am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> *it is not up to Egon
>
> > Muller's very outstanding 76 and 71 auslesen which would now cost you
> > a fortune if you can find them at all.

> And not a small fortune, either.
> The Egon Muller cult has got out of hand. I had put a Winesearcher
> alert for the 2007s. Got alert last night, checked. 2007 QbA $33,
> Spatlese $96, Auslesen $222. For prearrival. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this is nothing new, at least for Muller's top and most rare
wines. Muller's 1983 eiswein came on the market in the US for over US
$700 a bottle way back in the mid 80s. If one can find a bottle of
this today, likely one can not afford it if one has to ask the price.

4 older sweet German wines an 1 very rich US riesling cwdjrxyz Wine 2 03-06-2010 06:41 PM
More 2006 German Riesling Salil Wine 2 11-12-2007 09:29 AM
TNs: An 04 German Riesling and an 03 Clos St. Jean CdP Salil Wine 1 26-10-2007 06:03 AM
Riesling (Calif to German)- Question Charlie Wendell Winemaking 3 28-12-2005 12:05 AM
German Riesling 2003 Peter Muto Wine 11 25-09-2004 01:10 PM