Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN '04 Fevre Chablis

Jean and I went out for a rare meal without Andrew these days and took
ourselves out to a very nice resaurant in Indy: Elements
(http://www.elementsindy.com). the high point of the meal was our
entrees, which were Alaskan halibut over kohlrabi, baby bok choy and
maitake mushrooms, all in a white wine-miso broth. With that, we had:

2004 William Fevre Chablis
nose: initially, rather reticent, minerals and a hint of fruit
palate: grapfruit, seaweed, minerals, good acidity, no noticeable new
oak, later becoming more open with lemony fruit while maintaining good
minerality

Earlier, with our starters, we had:

NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne
nose: toasty, biscuits
palate: toast, rounded, fine mousse, low acid

Overall, a very fine meal and a fun night out.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 1, 12:03?am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Jean and I went out for a rare meal without Andrew these days and took
> ourselves out to a very nice resaurant in Indy: Elements
> (http://www.elementsindy.com). the high point of the meal was our
> entrees, which were Alaskan halibut over kohlrabi, baby bok choy and
> maitake mushrooms, all in a white wine-miso broth. With that, we had:
>
> 2004 William Fevre Chablis
> nose: initially, rather reticent, minerals and a hint of fruit
> palate: grapfruit, seaweed, minerals, good acidity, no noticeable new
> oak, later becoming more open with lemony fruit while maintaining good
> minerality
>
> Earlier, with our starters, we had:
>
> NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne
> nose: toasty, biscuits
> palate: toast, rounded, fine mousse, low acid
>
> Overall, a very fine meal and a fun night out.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

The Fevres are getting great press. Used to be super-oaky, but seems
like around '01 started cutting back, and by '04 well into the low-oak
camp. Thanks for nice notes

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> The Fevres are getting great press. Used to be super-oaky, but seems
> like around '01 started cutting back, and by '04 well into the low-oak
> camp. Thanks for nice notes

Yes. I was initially hesitant to get the Fevre, having read your
accounts of oaky wines from them back in the '90s. However, I too had
read some accounts of good experiences with recent Fevres from people
like Jay Miller or Jim Cowan, whose palates are not too far from my own,
so I decided to give it a whirl. The other Chablis on the list was from
Seguinot-Bordet. They're imported by J et R in Michigan, and I've had
their '99 before at a J et R tasting (and duly reported here), but
wasn't wowed by it. In retrospect, I wish I could have tried both ;-)

Mark Lipton