Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Sardinia, Mosel, Calatayud

Betsy's parents are in NY, staying with her sister, but they joined us
Saturday for a nice dinner on the patio with bbq chicken, grilled
eggplant and squash, and corn. The gold and house finches were around
the feeder, and we had first fireflies of the season (exciting for the
Californians). Wine was the 2006 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Rosado
(Calatayud). I had asked store manager for the crispest rose he had,
this was his choice. Crisp isn't first word that comes to mind. Ripe
strawberry and cherry fruit, lots of body, but quite a bit rounder
than what I look for in a rosé. I think this would be higher on most
people's list than mine, certainly well-made but a little too fruit-
driven for my tastes in pink. B-

Sunday we hosted her parents and her sister's family for a combination
Father's Day, birthday (her dad) and 20th anniversary (her sister and
BIL) party. I grilled shrimp; Betsy made spanikopita, a grilled
vegetable salad with feta, and tomatillo guacamole. Warm day, leftover
rosé and two whites:

2002 Willi Schaefer Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (MSR)
I've liked this before, but something about it today really hit the
spot. Sweetness over a saline minerality, bright lime/citrus fruit
with a little green apple. The acidity keeps it lively, but there's a
gentleness/round edge to the acids that make it smooth and easy to
drink. Very popular, and soon drained. A-/B+

2006 Argiolas "Costamolino" (Vermentino di Sardegna)
Some chalky minerals, citrus and tropical notes, a little herbal
bitterness. Nice flavor profile, but could use just a touch more
acidity, and there's a little hot note. Good , not great, hard to get
enthused after the Riesling. B-/B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine
TB TB is offline

On 18 Jun, 19:29, DaleW > wrote:

> 2002 Willi Schaefer Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (MSR)
> I've liked this before, but something about it today really hit the
> spot. Sweetness over a saline minerality, bright lime/citrus fruit
> with a little green apple. The acidity keeps it lively, but there's a
> gentleness/round edge to the acids that make it smooth and easy to
> drink. Very popular, and soon drained. A-/B+
>
> 2006 Argiolas "Costamolino" (Vermentino di Sardegna)
> Some chalky minerals, citrus and tropical notes, a little herbal
> bitterness. Nice flavor profile, but could use just a touch more
> acidity, and there's a little hot note. Good , not great, hard to get
> enthused after the Riesling. B-/B

Dale

Willi Schaefer is a touch act to follow. Do you think you'd have liked
Costamolino a bit more if you had it before and not after the
Riesling? I always found Costamolino to be the most "German" wine from
south of the Alps - in terms of its balance of fruit and acidity as
well as flavour. But this note of mine was based on the 2003 version.

Cheers

TN: Corsica, Sardinia. Sicily, Beaujolais, Chablis, Rhone DaleW Wine 0 20-09-2016 04:42 PM
WTN: Mosel, Marche, and Mo' DaleW Wine 0 24-05-2009 03:45 AM
WTN: Chablis and Mosel DaleW Wine 0 21-12-2007 08:34 PM
TN: so-so Mosel kab DaleW Wine 0 15-03-2007 05:44 PM
Sardinia: Capichera UC Wine 0 01-09-2006 09:11 PM