Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Corsica, Sardinia. Sicily, Beaujolais, Chablis, Rhone

Ah, Friday was Day 11 (after 10 days with no wine, we both needed to drop a few pounds).. Betsy made almond crusted salmon,rice, and arugula; I opened the 2006 Chanrion (Voute des Crozes) Cote de Brouilly. Sappy with pomegranate and black cherry fruit, smoke, a little earth. Mature but holding nicely (drank well on day 2 as well). B+

Then over to Freds for local non-serious wine group. Nice night on deck, great spread -pate, tapenade, hummus, tomato with basil and anchovy, cheeses, etc (I had to use self-restraint not to add back anything Id lost in previous 10 days). Theme was €śIsland wines- Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica€ť - I carried a Corsican red and an Etna white, thinking everyone would bring Sicilian reds. Oops.

Some whites

2015 Argiolas Vermentino
Canteloupe, limes, a little grass. Nice and bright. B

2012 Terre Nere Etna Bianco
Lemon, melon, a little saline note. Full, good acids. B/B+

2015 Terre Nere Etna Bianco
This seems a bit oaky , but with good acids and a long finish. B/B+

On to the blind reds
#1- very light color, floral nose with pine accents, raspberries, high acids, Nice with the food. I correctly guessed Corsica.
2010 Domaine U Stiliccionu €śAntica€ť (Ajaccio). B+/A-

#2 -also very light. Strawberries and raspberries, herbal. Another nice wine.
2012 Abbatucci Rouge Frais Imperial B+

#3 - bigger, riper, darker. Reminded me of a somewhat modern CdP or CdR, guessed Cannonau. Right island, wrong grape (Carignan with little bit international grapes)
2012 Punica Barrua B-

#4 - ripe, kirsch with herbs and cedar, but midbodied, I got NdA. 2014 Calla Nero dAvola B/B-

#5. Red fruit, fragrant, herby, elegant.
2012 Abbatucci Cuvee Collection "Ministre Imperial"
B+/A-

#6 ripe, red fruits (raspberry), a little leather and oak.
2012 Sella & Mosca Cannonau di Sardenga
B-

#7 - overripe, clunky, I guess similar to #3, but I wasnt guessing at this point and had no clue it was same wine.
2010 Punica Barrua B-/C+

Nice night, nice walk home.

Saturday we had skirt steak, quinoa, bok choy, salad. Wine was the 2006 Chave €śOfferus€ť St. Joseph. Seems more like Southern Rhone blend than Syrah to me, ripe, seems a little hot (though 13.5), some nice smoky/meaty notes with air that seem more Northern. Not bad, but I think Ill no longer buy €ścheap€ť (negoce) Chave. B

Sunday took Betsy to an early flight, chores all day, rewarded myself with a (on sale) chicken lobster. Served wth corn with garam masala, tomato, more quinoa, salad, and the 2014 Bessin Chablis Vieille Vignes. Intensely lemony on palate, with floral and wax notes on nose. Full, snappy acids, good stuff. B++

Monday was wineless and meatless (tofu, pak choy, okra).