Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Summer claret

Solihull Fine Wine, June meeting.
A warm and pleasant evening in Edgbaston.

Blind as usual
Roland told us there were 7 clarets and one ringer, just to keep us on our
toes.

Chasse Spleen 1996
Mature and rather dull, confirmed on the nose with slight oxidation. Spicy
nose and soft entry but fruit fading and tannins gone. Well stored, / poor
bottle or typical?

Clos de Marquis 1997
Bright with no age, cassis, spice old cupboards, complex, soft fruit but
good grip and, drinking wonderfully now, all in balance.

Ducru -Beaucaillou 1997
brick red, no age, bright, cedar and cigar box, iodine, seaweed, soft and
long, blackberrys.

Gruard-Larose 1997
Huge extract, big legs, cedar orgaic farmyard, stunning entry of fruit and
tannins, spicy and blackcurrants, long, what a drink, perfect now and for a
few years, my 2nd WOTN

Carruades de Lafite, 1996
Depth, bright, no age, restrained complex nose that opedned after half an
hour, cedar and blackcurrants, immature tannins balancing the spicy fruit.
Not yet. Try again.

Pavillon Rouge de Margaux 1996
Same depth as the carruades, but a wonderful ethereal perfumed, cinnamon and
some farmyard. Soft spice and fruit, very long. Great now, but will keep.
Two members got it right.

Penfolds 707, 1997
Pass the port please!!, thick wadge of extract dark. Nose of oak oak and
oak, chocolates and cassis. Chewy soft unctous, balanced long, drinking now,
but will the oak mellow in time?
All spotted the ringer, especially up against the last wine.

Leoville Lascases 1996.
Massive extract to the rim, bright, restrained, cedar, leather, smoke,
almonds, huge palate of fruit and tannins , spicy, long, wonderful and with
years of life ahead. My WOTN

What this tasting showed is the maligned 1997 is now drinking well and at
reasonable prices, first growths at £ 120 0r there about.

--
John T

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 13, 7:05�am, "John T" > wrote:
> Solihull Fine Wine, June meeting.
> A warm and pleasant evening in Edgbaston.
>
> Blind as usual
> Roland told us there were 7 clarets and one ringer, just to keep us on our
> toes.
>
> Chasse Spleen 1996
> Mature and rather dull, confirmed on the nose with slight oxidation. Spicy
> nose and soft entry but fruit fading and tannins gone. Well stored, / poor
> bottle or typical?
>
> Clos de Marquis 1997
> Bright with no age, cassis, spice old cupboards, complex, soft fruit but
> good grip and, drinking wonderfully now, all in balance.
>
> Ducru -Beaucaillou 1997
> brick red, no age, bright, cedar and cigar box, iodine, seaweed, soft and
> long, blackberrys.
>
> Gruard-Larose 1997
> Huge extract, big legs, cedar orgaic farmyard, stunning entry of fruit and
> tannins, spicy and blackcurrants, long, what a drink, perfect now and for a
> few years, my 2nd WOTN
>
> Carruades de Lafite, 1996
> Depth, bright, no age, restrained complex nose that opedned after half an
> hour, cedar and blackcurrants, immature *tannins balancing the spicy fruit.
> Not yet. Try again.
>
> Pavillon Rouge de Margaux 1996
> Same depth as the carruades, but a wonderful ethereal perfumed, cinnamon and
> some farmyard. Soft spice and fruit, very long. Great now, but will keep.
> Two members got it right.
>
> Penfolds 707, 1997
> Pass the port please!!, thick wadge of extract dark. Nose of oak oak and
> oak, chocolates and cassis. Chewy soft unctous, balanced long, drinking now,
> but will the oak mellow in time?
> All spotted the ringer, especially up against the last wine.
>
> Leoville Lascases 1996.
> Massive extract to the rim, bright, restrained, cedar, leather, smoke,
> almonds, huge palate of fruit and tannins , spicy, long, wonderful and with
> years of life ahead. My WOTN
>
> What this tasting showed is the maligned 1997 is now drinking well and at
> reasonable prices, first growths at £ 120 0r there about.
>
> --
> John T

Love the '96 LLC.
The problem I had with '97s was the original pricing. Plenty of good
early drinkers. I just split a case of '97 Lagrange (StJ) with
friends, as price was right.

TN: Mostly 1979 Claret DaleW Wine 0 06-11-2014 03:57 PM
Here we go again, 2009 Claret DaleW Wine 0 03-04-2010 03:46 PM
RP and 2007 Claret John T Wine 6 04-05-2008 09:33 PM
Claret interested Wine 13 01-08-2005 06:11 PM
CLARET WINE Nancree General Cooking 33 09-12-2003 03:39 AM