Nancree

Default CLARET WINE

The Merriam-Webster dictionary definges "Claret" as a red Bordeaux wine.
pavane

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> The Merriam-Webster dictionary definges "Claret" as a red Bordeaux wine.

How does it define "definge"?

PENMART01

(Nancree) writes:

>The Merriam-Webster dictionary definges "Claret" as a red Bordeaux wine.

Actually not.

The *full* definition:

1 : a red Bordeaux wine; also : a similar wine produced elsewhere
2 : a dark purplish red
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Anthony

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Nancree" > wrote in message
> > The Merriam-Webster dictionary definges "Claret" as a red Bordeaux wine.
> >

> How does it define "definge"?

Cheaper clarets can suffer from finge which must, of course, be removed
before drinking.

Kent H.

From Alexis Lichine
"Claret: In Great Britain, and frequently in the United States, red
Bordeaux is known as Claret." It is pronounced as "Clair-et", originated
especially by the British. The word was derived from the French
"clairet" by the Brits.
Let's hear it for Queen Victoria!
Kent

Nancree wrote:

> The Merriam-Webster dictionary definges "Claret" as a red Bordeaux wine.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Kent H."
> wrote:

> From Alexis Lichine
> "Claret: In Great Britain, and frequently in the United States, red
> Bordeaux is known as Claret." It is pronounced as "Clair-et", originated
> especially by the British. The word was derived from the French
> "clairet" by the Brits.
> Let's hear it for Queen Victoria!
> Kent

And I'll never forget a guy I dated when I was too young for drinking --
he was trying to show off, I guess. The waiter recommended a claret
(pronounced as above) and my date said "Oh, you mean Clare-A." Phake!!
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
Peter Aitken

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Kent H."
> > wrote:
>
> > From Alexis Lichine
> > "Claret: In Great Britain, and frequently in the United States, red
> > Bordeaux is known as Claret." It is pronounced as "Clair-et", originated
> > especially by the British. The word was derived from the French
> > "clairet" by the Brits.
> > Let's hear it for Queen Victoria!
> > Kent

> And I'll never forget a guy I dated when I was too young for drinking --
> he was trying to show off, I guess. The waiter recommended a claret
> (pronounced as above) and my date said "Oh, you mean Clare-A." Phake!!
> --

What is a "phake?" My guess is that it falls into the same category as
"prolly" although it is hard for me to imagine why someone would type a
longer word just to be wrong.

--
Peter Aitken

Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "Kent H."
> > wrote:
>
> > From Alexis Lichine
> > "Claret: In Great Britain, and frequently in the United States, red
> > Bordeaux is known as Claret." It is pronounced as "Clair-et", originated
> > especially by the British.

> And I'll never forget a guy I dated when I was too young for drinking --
> he was trying to show off, I guess. The waiter recommended a claret
> (pronounced as above) and my date said "Oh, you mean Clare-A." Phake!!

That above pronunciation is just as phake. In British English, at
least, the 'a' in claret is pronounced 'æ', which is one sound. The
'ai' and 'are' in the examples you cite are respectively two distinct
sounds, diphtongs, both identically pronounced as 'air'.

Victor
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Peter
Aitken" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > And I'll never forget a guy I dated when I was too young for
> > drinking -- he was trying to show off, I guess. The waiter
> > recommended a claret (pronounced as above) and my date said "Oh,
> > you mean Clare-A." Phake!!
> > --

> What is a "phake?" My guess is that it falls into the same category as
> "prolly" although it is hard for me to imagine why someone would type a
> longer word just to be wrong.

Oh, Peter, it was a pheeble attempt at humor -- but you prolly knew
that. "-)
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"If you're ever in a jam, here I am."
alzelt

Victor Sack wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>In article >, "Kent H."
> wrote:
>>

>>>From Alexis Lichine
>>>"Claret: In Great Britain, and frequently in the United States, red
>>>Bordeaux is known as Claret." It is pronounced as "Clair-et", originated
>>>especially by the British.

>>And I'll never forget a guy I dated when I was too young for drinking --
>>he was trying to show off, I guess. The waiter recommended a claret
>>(pronounced as above) and my date said "Oh, you mean Clare-A." Phake!!

> That above pronunciation is just as phake. In British English, at
> least, the 'a' in claret is pronounced 'æ', which is one sound. The
> 'ai' and 'are' in the examples you cite are respectively two distinct
> sounds, diphtongs, both identically pronounced as 'air'.
>
> Victor

I avoid the problem entirely by just asking for Ch Lynch Bages by name.

alan

Victor Sack

alzelt > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > That above pronunciation is just as phake. In British English, at
> > least, the 'a' in claret is pronounced 'æ', which is one sound. The
> > 'ai' and 'are' in the examples you cite are respectively two distinct
> > sounds, diphtongs, both identically pronounced as 'air'.

> I avoid the problem entirely by just asking for Ch Lynch Bages by name.

..... and getting some lunch bags for your troubles....

Victor
Kent H.

You must be a rich bitch.

alzelt wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >>And I'll never forget a guy I dated when I was too young for drinking --
> >>he was trying to show off, I guess. The waiter recommended a claret
> >>(pronounced as above) and my date said "Oh, you mean Clare-A." Phake!!

> > That above pronunciation is just as phake. In British English, at
> > least, the 'a' in claret is pronounced 'æ', which is one sound. The
> > 'ai' and 'are' in the examples you cite are respectively two distinct
> > sounds, diphtongs, both identically pronounced as 'air'.
> >
> > Victor

> I avoid the problem entirely by just asking for Ch Lynch Bages by name.
>
> alan

alzelt

Kent H. wrote:

> You must be a rich bitch.
>
> alzelt wrote:
>
>>Victor Sack wrote:

>>>That above pronunciation is just as phake. In British English, at
>>>least, the 'a' in claret is pronounced 'æ', which is one sound. The
>>>'ai' and 'are' in the examples you cite are respectively two distinct
>>>sounds, diphtongs, both identically pronounced as 'air'.
>>>
>>>Victor

>>I avoid the problem entirely by just asking for Ch Lynch Bages by name.
>>
>>alan

OK, so I buy a good wine. I can buy lots of it instead of buying a gas
guzzling SUV.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Kent H.

If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.

alzelt wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > You must be a rich bitch.
> >
> > alzelt wrote:

> >>I avoid the problem entirely by just asking for Ch Lynch Bages by name.
> >>
> >>alan

> OK, so I buy a good wine. I can buy lots of it instead of buying a gas
> guzzling SUV.
>
> --
> Alan
>
> "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
> avoid the people, you might better stay home."
> --James Michener

Peter Aitken

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
> paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
> bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
> extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
> D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
> wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.

Some people are smart enough and hard-working enough to make a terrific
living by working. If they choose to splurge on an overpriced bottle of wine
who are you to call them stupid? Looks like a full-blown case of envy to me.
And, by the way, a top-poster calling someone else stupid is like Danny
DeVito calling someone short.

--
Peter Aitken

alzelt

Kent H. wrote:

> If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
> paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
> bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
> extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
> D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
> wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.

As I said, you are one mindless stupid SOB. What I or anyone pays for a
bottle of wine is in no way an indicator of our intelligence. What you
say, otoh, is an indicator that you generally engage mouth, with foot
firmly inserted.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message
>
>>If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
>>paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
>>bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
>>extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
>>D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
>>wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
>>

> Some people are smart enough and hard-working enough to make a terrific
> living by working. If they choose to splurge on an overpriced bottle of wine
> who are you to call them stupid? Looks like a full-blown case of envy to me.
> And, by the way, a top-poster calling someone else stupid is like Danny
> DeVito calling someone short.

Hey, Peter, he probably thinks that anyone who buys an import beer is
also stupid. Hey, if he only drinks CH. Bud, that's his to choose.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Kent H.

I'm a dedicated top poster.
I'm pretty sure I have a lot more Lynch Bages in my cellar than he does,
though we probably won't ever resolve that.

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message
> > If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
> > paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
> > bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
> > extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
> > D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
> > wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
> >

> Some people are smart enough and hard-working enough to make a terrific
> living by working. If they choose to splurge on an overpriced bottle of wine
> who are you to call them stupid? Looks like a full-blown case of envy to me.
> And, by the way, a top-poster calling someone else stupid is like Danny
> DeVito calling someone short.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Dave Smith

alzelt wrote:

> > If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
> > paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
> > bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
> > extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
> > D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
> > wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
> >

> As I said, you are one mindless stupid SOB. What I or anyone pays for a
> bottle of wine is in no way an indicator of our intelligence. What you
> say, otoh, is an indicator that you generally engage mouth, with foot
> firmly inserted.

Sorry, but I am with Keith on this one. I firmly believe that there are people
with more money that brains. There are lots of wealthy morons who will proudly
order "the best" without any idea what they are paying for.

Dave Smith

alzelt wrote:

> > Some people are smart enough and hard-working enough to make a terrific
> > living by working. If they choose to splurge on an overpriced bottle of wine
> > who are you to call them stupid? Looks like a full-blown case of envy to me.
> > And, by the way, a top-poster calling someone else stupid is like Danny
> > DeVito calling someone short.
> >

> Hey, Peter, he probably thinks that anyone who buys an import beer is
> also stupid. Hey, if he only drinks CH. Bud, that's his to choose.

That is a bit of a stretch. There id s huge difference between an overpriced
bottle of imported wine compared to domestic brands and the cost difference
between domestic and imported beers. I drink imported beers almost exclusively.
There is something in domestic beer that disagrees with my system. I also find
the domestic beers to be competitively priced. A bottle of domestic beer here is
roughly $1.50 for a 341 ml bottle while excellent imported beers are $1.75 -
2.25. You get almost 50% more product for roughly 30% higher cost. I have a
number of friends who had been under the impression that my imported beer was more
expensive until I helped them through the math and showed them it was cheaper.

Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> alzelt wrote:
>

> > > If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you

are
> > > paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
> > > bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
> > > extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth.

John
> > > D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
> > > wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
> > >

> > As I said, you are one mindless stupid SOB. What I or anyone pays for a
> > bottle of wine is in no way an indicator of our intelligence. What you
> > say, otoh, is an indicator that you generally engage mouth, with foot
> > firmly inserted.
> >

> Sorry, but I am with Keith on this one. I firmly believe that there are

people
> with more money that brains. There are lots of wealthy morons who will

proudly
> order "the best" without any idea what they are paying for.

What you say is certainly true, but there are also individuals, wealthy ot
not, who know a great deal about what they are ordering - and in fact that's
why they order it. Your generalization that anyone who orders a pricey wine
by name is a "wealthy moron" is the type of simple-minded generalization
that is indicative of low intelligence combined with envy.

--
Peter Aitken

alzelt

Kent H. wrote:

> I'm a dedicated top poster.
> I'm pretty sure I have a lot more Lynch Bages in my cellar than he does,
> though we probably won't ever resolve that.
>

> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
>>"Kent H." > wrote in message
>>
>>>If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
>>>paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
>>>bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
>>>extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
>>>D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
>>>wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
>>>

>>Some people are smart enough and hard-working enough to make a terrific
>>living by working. If they choose to splurge on an overpriced bottle of wine
>>who are you to call them stupid? Looks like a full-blown case of envy to me.
>>And, by the way, a top-poster calling someone else stupid is like Danny
>>DeVito calling someone short.
>>
>>--
>>Peter Aitken
>>
>>Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Reminds me about guys who buy cigarette boats. Small penis. Grow up putz.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Dave Smith wrote:

> alzelt wrote:
>

>>>If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
>>>paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
>>>bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
>>>extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
>>>D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
>>>wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
>>>

>>As I said, you are one mindless stupid SOB. What I or anyone pays for a
>>bottle of wine is in no way an indicator of our intelligence. What you
>>say, otoh, is an indicator that you generally engage mouth, with foot
>>firmly inserted.
>>

> Sorry, but I am with Keith on this one. I firmly believe that there are people
> with more money that brains. There are lots of wealthy morons who will proudly
> order "the best" without any idea what they are paying for.

So, you are one of the very same morons who cannot see anyone spending
money to buy good wine. Why is it that self described experts like you
decry anyone enjoying good wine.

Your observation is most shortsighted. How about your take on people
buying top of the line cars, more house than they could ever need, etc.
Or haven't you connected those dots yet?
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Dave Smith wrote:

> alzelt wrote:
>

>>>Some people are smart enough and hard-working enough to make a terrific
>>>living by working. If they choose to splurge on an overpriced bottle of wine
>>>who are you to call them stupid? Looks like a full-blown case of envy to me.
>>>And, by the way, a top-poster calling someone else stupid is like Danny
>>>DeVito calling someone short.
>>>

>>Hey, Peter, he probably thinks that anyone who buys an import beer is
>>also stupid. Hey, if he only drinks CH. Bud, that's his to choose.
>>

> That is a bit of a stretch. There id s huge difference between an overpriced
> bottle of imported wine compared to domestic brands and the cost difference
> between domestic and imported beers. I drink imported beers almost exclusively.
> There is something in domestic beer that disagrees with my system. I also find
> the domestic beers to be competitively priced. A bottle of domestic beer here is
> roughly $1.50 for a 341 ml bottle while excellent imported beers are $1.75 -
> 2.25. You get almost 50% more product for roughly 30% higher cost. I have a
> number of friends who had been under the impression that my imported beer was more
> expensive until I helped them through the math and showed them it was cheaper.

I am certain that they are in awe of your "expertise".
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Kent H.

OK, smart rectum, how many bottles of Ch Lynch Bages do you have in your
cellar, and from what years???
Up yours too.

alzelt wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
> > paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
> > bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
> > extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
> > D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
> > wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
> >

> As I said, you are one mindless stupid SOB. What I or anyone pays for a
> bottle of wine is in no way an indicator of our intelligence. What you
> say, otoh, is an indicator that you generally engage mouth, with foot
> firmly inserted.
> --
> Alan
>
> "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
> avoid the people, you might better stay home."
> --James Michener

Dave Smith

alzelt wrote:

> > Sorry, but I am with Keith on this one. I firmly believe that there are people
> > with more money that brains. There are lots of wealthy morons who will proudly
> > order "the best" without any idea what they are paying for.
> >

> So, you are one of the very same morons who cannot see anyone spending
> money to buy good wine. Why is it that self described experts like you
> decry anyone enjoying good wine.

Try re-reading what I said., that there are lots of wealthy morons who will proudly
order "the best" without knowing what they are paying for. There are a lot of
qualities in fine wines that most people cannot detect. People who are really into
good wines read a lot about the stuff, visit wineries, go to tastings and try to
learn about the fine art of wine making. The know what they are drinking. There
there are the moneyed louts who go into restaurants and order "the best", and I
doubt that they can tell you what it is about that wine that makes it the best.

> Your observation is most shortsighted. How about your take on people
> buying top of the line cars, more house than they could ever need, etc.
> Or haven't you connected those dots yet?

It's pretty much the same. They like to show off. Have you never seen people with
huge yachts who have to hire someone to drive them?

> --
> Alan
>
> "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
> avoid the people, you might better stay home."
> --James Michener

Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> alzelt wrote:

<snipped>

> It's pretty much the same. They like to show off. Have you never seen

people with
> huge yachts who have to hire someone to drive them?

Well (duh) of course! What's the point of having a luxurious yacht if you
cannot relax and enjoy yourself while under way, but have to be glued to the
wheel.

--
Peter Aitken

alzelt

Kent H. wrote:

> OK, smart rectum, how many bottles of Ch Lynch Bages do you have in your
> cellar, and from what years???
> Up yours too.
>

> alzelt wrote:
>
>>Kent H. wrote:
>>

>>>If you walk into a restaurant and order Ch Lynch Bages by name, you are
>>>paying at least $75 in a marginal year and as much as $500 for one
>>>bottle. If you do this without looking at the Wine List you are
>>>extraordinarily stupid, and can only be living on inherited wealth. John
>>>D. Rockefeller counted pennies to his demise; that's why, though
>>>wealthy, he wasn't a rich bitch. You are, obviously.
>>>

>>As I said, you are one mindless stupid SOB. What I or anyone pays for a
>>bottle of wine is in no way an indicator of our intelligence. What you
>>say, otoh, is an indicator that you generally engage mouth, with foot
>>firmly inserted.
>>--
>>Alan
>>
>>"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
>>avoid the people, you might better stay home."
>> --James Michener

Let's see. One from 79. Three from 85, two from 89 and one case of 95.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Dave Smith wrote:

> It's pretty much the same. They like to show off. Have you never seen people with
> huge yachts who have to hire someone to drive them?

Some of us buy wine to drink it. We do quite nicely without any
assistance thank you.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Kent H.

I have a case of 70, a case of 82, and various bottles before and after.
What the hell does that say? Nothing much. You just don't walk into a
restaurant and order Lynch Bages, without looking at the rest of list
and the price.

alzelt wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > OK, smart rectum, how many bottles of Ch Lynch Bages do you have in your
> > cellar, and from what years???
> > Up yours too.
> >

> > alzelt wrote:

> >>As I said, you are one mindless stupid SOB. What I or anyone pays for a
> >>bottle of wine is in no way an indicator of our intelligence. What you
> >>say, otoh, is an indicator that you generally engage mouth, with foot
> >>firmly inserted.
> >>--
> >>Alan
> >>
> >>"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
> >>avoid the people, you might better stay home."
> >> --James Michener

> Let's see. One from 79. Three from 85, two from 89 and one case of 95.
> --
> Alan
>
> "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
> avoid the people, you might better stay home."
> --James Michener

Dave Smith

alzelt wrote:

> > It's pretty much the same. They like to show off. Have you never seen people with
> > huge yachts who have to hire someone to drive them?
> >

> Some of us buy wine to drink it. We do quite nicely without any
> assistance thank you.

Sorry, but you are only allowed one idiotic response per message.

alzelt

Kent H. wrote:

> I have a case of 70, a case of 82, and various bottles before and after.
> What the hell does that say? Nothing much. You just don't walk into a
> restaurant and order Lynch Bages, without looking at the rest of list
> and the price.

No one said I do.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Dave Smith wrote:

> alzelt wrote:
>

>>>It's pretty much the same. They like to show off. Have you never seen people with
>>>huge yachts who have to hire someone to drive them?
>>>

>>Some of us buy wine to drink it. We do quite nicely without any
>>assistance thank you.

> Sorry, but you are only allowed one idiotic response per message.

True, so why did you enter it?
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Here we go again, 2009 Claret DaleW Wine 0 03-04-2010 03:46 PM
TN: 1985 claret at Mortons, plus 82, a mystery wine (still amystery), CA, etc. DaleW Wine 3 04-02-2010 01:22 PM
TN Summer claret John T Wine 1 13-06-2007 03:05 PM
Claret interested Wine 13 01-08-2005 06:11 PM
Winemaker Mag "Claret" Blueberry WIne Posted!!!! Julie Winemaking 0 28-06-2004 07:52 PM