Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TNs: NZers (whites)

>From the last few days...
Quartz Reef Pinot Gris 2006
Peach, pear and citrus on the nose with softer floral notes. More
white fruits and citrus on the palate with lots of acidity and a long,
clean finish. Excellent.

Villa Maria Private Bin Riesling 2006
Lime, grapefruit and lemon zest on the nose, off-dry in the mouth with
ripe citrus flavours and some minerality, good acidity and a slightly
tart finish. Very good.

Palliser Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2006
Pungent nose of lemongrass, herbs and tropical fruit. Flavours of wet
grass and citrus in the mouth with good acidity and a long, slightly
warm finish. Very good/excellent, although a bit on the grassy side.

Lawson's Dry Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2004
Thought this might be a little over the hill already, but glad to be
wrong. Melon, pear, citrus and tropical fruit on the nose and in the
mouth with very soft grassy and buttery(!) notes underneath the fruit.
Not as sharp/light in the mouth as most SBs - this had a lot more body
to it than any other SB I remember having from NZ, with an almost
creamy texture (found later that the back of the bottle mentioned
that part of the SB in the mix had undergone malolactic fermentation).
A bit of something different here. Excellent/

Cloudy Bay Late Harvest Riesling 2002
Orange zest, lime, peach and marmalade on the nose with honeyed citrus
and white fruit flavours in the mouth. Very rich and concentrated with
just enough acidity to keep it from being cloying. Excellent, although
at that price a Mosel Auslese would probably have been far better
value.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 24, 9:48?pm, Salil > wrote:
> >From the last few days...

> Quartz Reef Pinot Gris 2006
> Peach, pear and citrus on the nose with softer floral notes. More
> white fruits and citrus on the palate with lots of acidity and a long,
> clean finish. Excellent.
>
> Villa Maria Private Bin Riesling 2006
> Lime, grapefruit and lemon zest on the nose, off-dry in the mouth with
> ripe citrus flavours and some minerality, good acidity and a slightly
> tart finish. Very good.
>
> Palliser Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2006
> Pungent nose of lemongrass, herbs and tropical fruit. Flavours of wet
> grass and citrus in the mouth with good acidity and a long, slightly
> warm finish. Very good/excellent, although a bit on the grassy side.
>
> Lawson's Dry Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2004
> Thought this might be a little over the hill already, but glad to be
> wrong. Melon, pear, citrus and tropical fruit on the nose and in the
> mouth with very soft grassy and buttery(!) notes underneath the fruit.
> Not as sharp/light in the mouth as most SBs - this had a lot more body
> to it than any other SB I remember having from NZ, with an almost
> creamy texture (found later that the back of the bottle mentioned
> that part of the SB in the mix had undergone malolactic fermentation).
> A bit of something different here. Excellent/
>
> Cloudy Bay Late Harvest Riesling 2002
> Orange zest, lime, peach and marmalade on the nose with honeyed citrus
> and white fruit flavours in the mouth. Very rich and concentrated with
> just enough acidity to keep it from being cloying. Excellent, although
> at that price a Mosel Auslese would probably have been far better
> value.

nice notes. Will look for Palliser (doubt 04 Lawsons is still on
market)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 25, 2:21 pm, DaleW wrote:

> > Palliser Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2006
> > Pungent nose of lemongrass, herbs and tropical fruit. Flavours of wet
> > grass and citrus in the mouth with good acidity and a long, slightly
> > warm finish. Very good/excellent, although a bit on the grassy side.

> nice notes. Will look for Palliser (doubt 04 Lawsons is still on
> market)- Hide quoted text -

Palliser Estate is out of Martinborough in the North Island, rather
than Marlborough in the South.

As such it normally has a few more tropical nuances than the more
"aggressive and grassy" southern style

One of my favourites a few years back, it fell out of favour for a
couple of years, (poor QPR) but seems back to it's better self in '06.

I know that Prof. Lipton has found it further west Dale - dunno
about NYC?

--

st.helier

Egg whites KenK General Cooking 46 01-04-2017 03:37 PM
egg whites somebody[_3_] General Cooking 8 31-10-2012 05:18 AM
Whites Must Have Children: New Tax Rules To Encourage Whites ToHave Babies Ramon F. Herrera General Cooking 1 19-05-2012 01:47 PM
[TN] Three whites Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 0 30-03-2008 08:53 AM
Raw egg whites ravenlynne General Cooking 51 09-12-2006 06:34 AM