Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Domaine Luneau-Papin

Following the dual rec from AFW's Santiago and a friend from the
region, Adele and I spent a delightful and informative 2 hours in the
company of young Pierre-Marie L-P, heir apparent winemaker to the
estate, and Mme L-P.

It was a very warm welcome, and a pleasure to talk with such passionate
advocates of what the appellation Muscadet Sèvres-et-Maine can be.
Pierre-Marie is very open to experimentation and is full of small lot
projects to try. (He expressed at least the opinion that new oak in quantity
and melon is probably a bad idea.)

Somewhat difficult to find, be aware the only sign is pinned to the door
of the office, if you go.

2005 "carré bleu vielles vignes" (40 years average) from around the domaine.
This is commercialized as Muscadet Sèvres-et-Maine sur lie Dom. Pierre de
la Grange VV. 4.50 EU. Fresh lively lemony nose. Cake, yeast, citrus, lemon
peel, fresh and nice.

2005 Clos des Pierres Blanches -- Hermine d'Or. 5.50 EU. VV from a single
plot replanted over many years without the use of cloned vines. Sur lie. Pale gold.
Very rich, citrus, orange peel, stone, flint, lie yeast, green herb overtone!

2005 L d'Or. 10 months sur lie. Vine age 40-50 years. Nose creme brulee,
orange, flint, long. Yeast, custard, stone, orange peel, almond, great structure,
very young. This is a great wine, and ageworthy, for 6 EU!

2002 Excelsior. Clos des Noelles. VV average > 60 years. 30 months sur lie!!!
Nose caramel, brioche, apricot, yeast. In the mouth, apricot, peach, citrus, slate,
layered and very long, huge structure. Atypical. 11 EU.

Mme presented us with the 2002 L d'Or also as a parting gift.

I'm very pleased to have representation from Dom L-P in the cellar, and look
forward to becoming a regular client of the house. An excellent tasting of some
traditional and very atypical Muscadet.

I believe these are fairly widely available -- even in Oz, it would seem --
so I'd be interested in what other folks thing.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in
:

> Following the dual rec from AFW's Santiago and a friend from the
> region, Adele and I spent a delightful and informative 2 hours in the
> company of young Pierre-Marie L-P, heir apparent winemaker to the
> estate, and Mme L-P.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your time at Luneau-Papin!!!
I discovered their wines six years ago when I started travelling to the
Loire because I was hired to teach a subject at a university in Angers.

Since them, I have been enjoying their wines year in, year out and, since
last february I managed to include their wines in the portfolio of a wine
import company I do consulting for.

> 2005 "carré bleu vielles vignes" (40 years average) from around the
> domaine. This is commercialized as Muscadet Sèvres-et-Maine sur lie
> Dom. Pierre de la Grange VV. 4.50 EU. Fresh lively lemony nose.
> Cake, yeast, citrus, lemon peel, fresh and nice.

This is the wine that got me started! (but the 2000 or 2001 vintage)

> 2002 Excelsior. Clos des Noelles. VV average > 60 years. 30 months
> sur lie!!! Nose caramel, brioche, apricot, yeast. In the mouth,
> apricot, peach, citrus, slate, layered and very long, huge structure.
> Atypical. 11 EU.

Atypical but outstanding. It really needs to be decanted and let breath for
one hour. And not being chilled too much. 10-12ºC is great. I prefer Clos
du Poyet to Clos des Noelles, though.

I wanted to email you because I was intrigued to know how did your trip to
that restaurant with amazing wine list ended. What did you finally select
for your anniversary dinner?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Very good, Emery! L-P is one of my two favorite Muscadets, and probably
the producer I have the most of. Interesting change in nomenclatu
the only cuveés I have seen here are the Pierre de la Grange, the L D'Or
and the Clos des Aleés. The Clos des Pierres Blanches Hermine D'Or I've
never seen here.

The L D'Or bottling is fantastic in most years, and the '02 is drinking
very well now, though it'll no doubt age well for another decade or
more. I've had in the recent past the '97 and '90 L D'Ors, both of
which were doing marvelous and developing much along the lines of a good
Chablis.

BTW, did you and Adele celebrate your anniversary dinner yet? If so,
what wines did you end up choosing?

Mark Lipton

p.s. You should check out the header records of an AFW FAQ post: you of
all people might appreciate the humor.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 24 May 2007 15:27:23 +0200
santiago > wrote:

> Emery Davis > wrote in
> :
>
> > Following the dual rec from AFW's Santiago and a friend from the
> > region, Adele and I spent a delightful and informative 2 hours in the
> > company of young Pierre-Marie L-P, heir apparent winemaker to the
> > estate, and Mme L-P.

> I am so happy that you enjoyed your time at Luneau-Papin!!!
> I discovered their wines six years ago when I started travelling to the
> Loire because I was hired to teach a subject at a university in Angers.
>
> Since them, I have been enjoying their wines year in, year out and, since
> last february I managed to include their wines in the portfolio of a wine
> import company I do consulting for.

I really can't thank you enough for the recommendation, Santiago!
I can't recall the last time I made a visit with no personal knowledge
and was so pleased with the result.

Madame mentioned you in fact, when I told her that one of the
recommendations was from a Spaniard who had visited. But since
I don't know your last name or even if S. is a nom de plume, I
couldn't confirm...

> > 2005 "carré bleu vielles vignes" (40 years average) from around the
> > domaine. This is commercialized as Muscadet Sèvres-et-Maine sur lie
> > Dom. Pierre de la Grange VV. 4.50 EU. Fresh lively lemony nose.
> > Cake, yeast, citrus, lemon peel, fresh and nice.

> This is the wine that got me started! (but the 2000 or 2001 vintage)

Then you will have the advantage over me in cellar depth, sir!

> > 2002 Excelsior. Clos des Noelles. VV average > 60 years. 30 months
> > sur lie!!! Nose caramel, brioche, apricot, yeast. In the mouth,
> > apricot, peach, citrus, slate, layered and very long, huge structure.
> > Atypical. 11 EU.

> Atypical but outstanding. It really needs to be decanted and let breath for
> one hour. And not being chilled too much. 10-12ºC is great. I prefer Clos
> du Poyet to Clos des Noelles, though.

Yes, it really is outstanding. The bottle we tasted had been open for
24 hours, it was still very fresh but had amazing depth. We didn't taste
the Poyet but I did buy a few bottles to check the difference. Madame
opined that it was more austere and mineral. I certainly look forward to
the discovery. I wonder how these will fare in 03, also.

> I wanted to email you because I was intrigued to know how did your trip to
> that restaurant with amazing wine list ended. What did you finally select
> for your anniversary dinner?

We got back last night. Stopped at L-P on the way. Really had a very nice
time, thanks; I will post some notes.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies
Questions about wine? Visit
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Mark,

On Thu, 24 May 2007 10:14:00 -0400
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Very good, Emery! L-P is one of my two favorite Muscadets, and probably
> the producer I have the most of. Interesting change in nomenclatu
> the only cuveés I have seen here are the Pierre de la Grange, the L D'Or
> and the Clos des Aleés. The Clos des Pierres Blanches Hermine D'Or I've
> never seen here.

Glad we concur! I am no Muscadet Mogul, so L-P was a revelation.

The Clos des Alees is on the price list, (5 EU) but we didn't taste. What's the
retail in your neck of the woods?

There is also a Gros Plant that Hachette likes, at 3 EU, but again we didn't taste.

So, what's the other favorite?

> The L D'Or bottling is fantastic in most years, and the '02 is drinking
> very well now, though it'll no doubt age well for another decade or
> more. I've had in the recent past the '97 and '90 L D'Ors, both of
> which were doing marvelous and developing much along the lines of a good
> Chablis.

I have the feeling from the tasting it will age very well indeed. Now I just
have to stick around for a while!

> BTW, did you and Adele celebrate your anniversary dinner yet? If so,
> what wines did you end up choosing?

Just back, I will post! A fine meal.

> Mark Lipton
>
> p.s. You should check out the header records of an AFW FAQ post: you of
> all people might appreciate the humor.

Hmm, don't think I saw it. You mean the robot mini-faq? What am I looking
for?

cheers,

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies
Questions about wine? Visit
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 24, 7:54�am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Following the dual rec from AFW's Santiago and a friend from the
> region, Adele and I spent a delightful and informative 2 hours in the
> company of young Pierre-Marie L-P, heir apparent winemaker to the
> estate, and Mme L-P.
>
> It was a very warm welcome, and a pleasure to talk with such passionate
> advocates of what the appellation Muscadet Sèvres-et-Maine can be.
> Pierre-Marie is very open to experimentation and is full of small lot
> projects to try. *(He expressed at least the opinion that new oak in quantity
> and melon is probably a bad idea.)
>
> Somewhat difficult to find, be aware the only sign is pinned to the door
> of the office, if you go.
>
> 2005 "carré bleu vielles vignes" (40 years average) from around the domaine.
> This is commercialized as Muscadet Sèvres-et-Maine sur lie Dom. Pierre de
> la Grange VV. *4.50 EU. *Fresh lively lemony nose. *Cake, yeast, citrus, lemon
> peel, fresh and nice.
>
> 2005 Clos des Pierres Blanches -- Hermine d'Or. *5.50 EU. *VV from a single
> plot replanted over many years without the use of cloned vines. *Sur lie. Pale gold.
> Very rich, citrus, orange peel, stone, flint, lie yeast, green herb overtone!
>
> 2005 L d'Or. *10 months sur lie. *Vine age 40-50 years. *Nose creme brulee,
> orange, flint, long. *Yeast, custard, stone, orange peel, almond, great structure,
> very young. *This is a great wine, and ageworthy, for 6 EU!
>
> 2002 Excelsior. *Clos des Noelles. *VV average > 60 years. *30 months sur lie!!!
> Nose caramel, brioche, apricot, yeast. *In the mouth, apricot, peach, citrus, slate,
> layered and very long, huge structure. *Atypical. *11 EU.
>
> Mme presented us with the 2002 L d'Or also as a parting gift.
>
> I'm very pleased to have representation from Dom L-P in the cellar, and look
> forward to becoming a regular client of the house. *An excellent tasting of some
> traditional and very atypical Muscadet.
>
> I believe these are fairly widely available -- even in Oz, it would seem --
> so I'd be interested in what other folks thing.
>
> -E
>
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies
> Questions about wine? *Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

thanks for notes. I have a lone bottle of the '02 L'Or, wanna bet on
who has most willpower to hold? I'll bet on you.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis wrote:

> The Clos des Alees is on the price list, (5 EU) but we didn't taste. What's the
> retail in your neck of the woods?

About $15 when I can find it, which is rarely.

> So, what's the other favorite?

No secret the Marc Ollivier's Domaine de Pepiere, especially his Clos
des Briords bottling.

>p.s. You should check out the header records of an AFW FAQ post: you of
>>all people might appreciate the humor.
>>

> Hmm, don't think I saw it. You mean the robot mini-faq? What am I looking
> for?

Yes, just look for the next post at 0500 GMT on Monday and scrutinize it
for the one "funny" header record ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in
:

> I really can't thank you enough for the recommendation, Santiago!
> I can't recall the last time I made a visit with no personal knowledge
> and was so pleased with the result.

> Madame mentioned you in fact, when I told her that one of the
> recommendations was from a Spaniard who had visited. But since
> I don't know your last name or even if S. is a nom de plume, I
> couldn't confirm...

It is my name but I have not been there, I met them in the past Salon de
Vins de la Loire, held in Angers last February. Probably next october I
will be visiting them, since I have an scheduled visit to the zone because
of my main job. I don't know where you live but I'll be around Angers for a
week, just in case you and Adele want to share a table.

> We got back last night. Stopped at L-P on the way. Really had a very
> nice time, thanks; I will post some notes.

Great, I look forward reading your post.

S.