Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN ESJ Rose, Luneau-Papin, De Courcel

Friday was a doozy of a day (suppressed the urge to kill a minister) ,
when I got home Betsy was taking a nap. I didn't feel like waiting to
discover dinner plan, opened the 2006 Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly"
Gamay Noir Rosé (Witters Vineyard, El Dorado County). Dark for a rose,
but oh so vibrant. Very pure and clean concentrated strawberry
flavors, a hint of earth and flint, good length. Delicious! B+/A-

When Sleeping Beauty emerged, she told of her plan for a seafood
salad. I grilled the squid while she prepared shrimp, scallops, and
mussels, and I opted to open a white, the 2005 Luneau-Papin "Clos des
Allees" Muscadet. Rounder and more fruit forward than some Muscadets,
yet with a clear saline/limestone mineral finish. Lemony fruit is
perfect for the seafood salad, lovely $12 wine that I'll find more of.
B+

Saturday I sampled both again (stood up well), but with our grilled
wild salmon (plus a red cabbage slaw, beans, and barley) I wanted
Pinot Noir. I opened a 375 ml of the 1999 de Courcel "Fremiers"
Pommard 1er Cru. Hmmm, a little seepage under capsule, and cork
stained all the way up. Much more mature than a bottle a year or two
ago. Warm round black cherry fruit, a meaty note, some flowers.
Tannins in background. Nice enough mature Burgundy, but I'd bet (even
in 375) a bottle with a better seal would have been a bit more fresh,
if less ready. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

[TN] Two more birthday wines ('04 Luneau-Papin, Geyserville) Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 16-09-2010 02:36 PM
[TN] 2002 Luneau-Papin L D'Or Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 20-09-2008 12:28 PM
Domaine Luneau-Papin Emery Davis Wine 7 26-05-2007 09:53 AM
TN: 1997 Luneau-Papin Muscadet DaleW Wine 3 02-02-2006 10:46 PM
TN: 2004 Luneau-Papin Muscadet DaleW Wine 2 28-08-2005 09:25 PM