Posted to alt.food.wine

Default New grandson older wines

In celebration of the addition of a new grandson to our family I
opened a few bottles yesterday. Quick recaps follow as grandpa was a
bit too enthusiastic yesterday......:-)

1996 La Grande Dame-Initial nose of toasted bread and yeasty dough
gave way to apples and pears with a bit of apple pie spice. The wine
kept changing and eventually showed grilled bread and hazelnuts. B+

1983 Trimbach Clos St. Hune Riesling VT-Fermented absolutely bone
dry. Rich and full bodied with notes of limestone and wet slate. A
bit of petrol on the nose but really quite under control and not
offensive. Plenty of white peach and lemon/lime. A

2000 Sine Qua Non "The Boot"- 50% Chardonnay, 25% Viognier and 25%
Rousanne. Really quite interesting, I usually don't go for these
exotic blends but this one grew on me. At first it was very Burgundy-
like with mineral, citrus and pineapple but after a while the other
varietals crept through giving an ever evolving palate with waxy
floral notes and a bit of bitter almond. B+

1990 Chateau Montrose-Very dark purple red with note hint of age. A
bit of rustic funk on the nose at first and a tad edgy on the palate
with a touch of Brett. Opened after an hour showing black fruits,
currants, espresso and some tar. Big brawny tannins this one needs
more time but it does have a rustic charm. A-

1990 Chateau Lafite-More reddish purple than the Montrose. Sleek and
elegant yet quite powerful in a subtle way. Tons of rich, mostly
black fruits yet there was a bit of red fruit peeking through. Cassis
and blackberry with a bit of red raspberry and touch of tobacco all
very well balanced in a smooth package. Smooth tannins and a long
finish. A

1982 Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet. A bit cloudy in the glass
showing just a hint of brick in the reddish purple color. A bit of
barnyard and Brett on the nose. Still a fair amount of blackberry and
anise notes coming through with an aedge of minerality. Medium to
full bodied on the palate with a fair amount of tannins still showing
a fair amount of grip. The wine was showing a bit of complexity with
black cherry, blackberry and cassis, a bit of bitter chocolate and
espresso on the finish. Still a few more years to go but probably not
much improvement left. B-

1995 Jadot Bonnes Mares-Still youthful looking in the glass with no
signs of age. Dark Burgundy red and fairly thick with a bit of glass
coating glycerin. Nice aroma of mature Burgundy with earthy mushroom,
exotic spice and sweet red cherry notes. Beautiful fruit, a bit of
red dirt mineral flavors, ripe sappy cherry flavors and a core of
acidity made for a well balanced glass of wine. My favorite of the
day. A+

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 3:52 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> In celebration of the addition of a new grandson to our family I
> opened a few bottles yesterday. Quick recaps follow as grandpa was a
> bit too enthusiastic yesterday......:-)
>
> 1996 La Grande Dame-Initial nose of toasted bread and yeasty dough
> gave way to apples and pears with a bit of apple pie spice. The wine
> kept changing and eventually showed grilled bread and hazelnuts. B+
>
> 1983 Trimbach Clos St. Hune Riesling VT-Fermented absolutely bone
> dry. Rich and full bodied with notes of limestone and wet slate. A
> bit of petrol on the nose but really quite under control and not
> offensive. Plenty of white peach and lemon/lime. A
>
> 2000 Sine Qua Non "The Boot"- 50% Chardonnay, 25% Viognier and 25%
> Rousanne. Really quite interesting, I usually don't go for these
> exotic blends but this one grew on me. At first it was very Burgundy-
> like with mineral, citrus and pineapple but after a while the other
> varietals crept through giving an ever evolving palate with waxy
> floral notes and a bit of bitter almond. B+
>
> 1990 Chateau Montrose-Very dark purple red with note hint of age. A
> bit of rustic funk on the nose at first and a tad edgy on the palate
> with a touch of Brett. Opened after an hour showing black fruits,
> currants, espresso and some tar. Big brawny tannins this one needs
> more time but it does have a rustic charm. A-
>
> 1990 Chateau Lafite-More reddish purple than the Montrose. Sleek and
> elegant yet quite powerful in a subtle way. Tons of rich, mostly
> black fruits yet there was a bit of red fruit peeking through. Cassis
> and blackberry with a bit of red raspberry and touch of tobacco all
> very well balanced in a smooth package. Smooth tannins and a long
> finish. A
>
> 1982 Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet. A bit cloudy in the glass
> showing just a hint of brick in the reddish purple color. A bit of
> barnyard and Brett on the nose. Still a fair amount of blackberry and
> anise notes coming through with an aedge of minerality. Medium to
> full bodied on the palate with a fair amount of tannins still showing
> a fair amount of grip. The wine was showing a bit of complexity with
> black cherry, blackberry and cassis, a bit of bitter chocolate and
> espresso on the finish. Still a few more years to go but probably not
> much improvement left. B-
>
> 1995 Jadot Bonnes Mares-Still youthful looking in the glass with no
> signs of age. Dark Burgundy red and fairly thick with a bit of glass
> coating glycerin. Nice aroma of mature Burgundy with earthy mushroom,
> exotic spice and sweet red cherry notes. Beautiful fruit, a bit of
> red dirt mineral flavors, ripe sappy cherry flavors and a core of
> acidity made for a well balanced glass of wine. My favorite of the
> day. A+

After that lot, I expect you may be feeling slightly fragile??

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 3:52 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> In celebration of the addition of a new grandson to our family I
> opened a few bottles yesterday. Quick recaps follow as grandpa was a
> bit too enthusiastic yesterday......:-)

I forgot to add, many, many congratulations on the new addition to
your family, I have a little grandson, Louis, and I am totally in love
with him, it's so much better being Granny that it was to be Mummy!

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 11:33 am, "
> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 3:52 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
>
> > In celebration of the addition of a new grandson to our family I
> > opened a few bottles yesterday. Quick recaps follow as grandpa was a
> > bit too enthusiastic yesterday......:-)

> I forgot to add, many, many congratulations on the new addition to
> your family, I have a little grandson, Louis, and I am totally in love
> with him, it's so much better being Granny that it was to be Mummy!
>
> Judith

Thanks for your well wishes! Fragile isn't an option... :-) I had
two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
morning in addition to welcoming our newest grandchild. Who's got
time for fragile?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sounds like you and Dick Cheney have lots in common with the stents and the
hunting. Anyone get shot :-)

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Apr 30, 11:33 am, "
> > wrote:
>> On Apr 30, 3:52 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
>>
>> > In celebration of the addition of a new grandson to our family I
>> > opened a few bottles yesterday. Quick recaps follow as grandpa was a
>> > bit too enthusiastic yesterday......:-)

>> I forgot to add, many, many congratulations on the new addition to
>> your family, I have a little grandson, Louis, and I am totally in love
>> with him, it's so much better being Granny that it was to be Mummy!
>>
>> Judith

> Thanks for your well wishes! Fragile isn't an option... :-) I had
> two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
> last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
> morning in addition to welcoming our newest grandchild. Who's got
> time for fragile?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 11:50 am, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
> Sounds like you and Dick Cheney have lots in common with the stents and the
> hunting. Anyone get shot :-)
>
> "Bi!!" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > On Apr 30, 11:33 am, "
> > > wrote:

> >> I forgot to add, many, many congratulations on the new addition to
> >> your family, I have a little grandson, Louis, and I am totally in love
> >> with him, it's so much better being Granny that it was to be Mummy!

> >> Judith

> > Thanks for your well wishes! Fragile isn't an option... :-) I had
> > two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
> > last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
> > morning in addition to welcoming our newest grandchild. Who's got
> > time for fragile?- Hide quoted text -

Only the turkey.......

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

Congrats, Bill! And what a lineup of wines. Wasn't the '90 Montrose one
of RMP's "100 point" wines? Your reaction to it seems a bit less
effusive (but sounds great nonetheless). Regarding the '82 Montelena: I
was just saying the other day that, to me, Ch. Montelena's Cabs are
close to immobile. What I mean by that is that, even with 20+ years of
bottle age, I detect little if any secondary aromas to those wines. To
me, even Randy Dunn's wines develop more complexity than Ch.
Montelena's. Even though you describe some "complexity," it seems to be
more fruit-centered than what I'd term secondary characteristics.

Again, congrats, Bill, and thanks for the wonderful notes,
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 30 Apr 2007 08:53:05 -0700
Bi!! > wrote:

> > > Thanks for your well wishes! Fragile isn't an option... :-) I had
> > > two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
> > > last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
> > > morning in addition to welcoming our newest grandchild. Who's got
> > > time for fragile?- Hide quoted text -

> Only the turkey.......

That's what DC said after the accident.

Congratulations, Bill. Sounds like you honoured the new addition
in fine fashion.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 12:08 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
>
> Congrats, Bill! And what a lineup of wines. Wasn't the '90 Montrose one
> of RMP's "100 point" wines? Your reaction to it seems a bit less
> effusive (but sounds great nonetheless). Regarding the '82 Montelena: I
> was just saying the other day that, to me, Ch. Montelena's Cabs are
> close to immobile. What I mean by that is that, even with 20+ years of
> bottle age, I detect little if any secondary aromas to those wines. To
> me, even Randy Dunn's wines develop more complexity than Ch.
> Montelena's. Even though you describe some "complexity," it seems to be
> more fruit-centered than what I'd term secondary characteristics.
>
> Again, congrats, Bill, and thanks for the wonderful notes,
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

One of the benefits of buying and cellaring wines for many years is
the availability of terrific wines when you just feel like popping
them. RP did give the Montrose 100 pts but I'm not sure if I would
agree with that. It certainly could stand up to another 20 years of
age and I thought it was a bit disjointed and rustic at this point
with a bit more Brett than I care for. I couldn't agree more The
Montelena. You're spot on with the complexity issue. The nuances
were about the fruit but not the typical layering of complexity that
comes with age. The fruit evolved in the glass showing different
nuances but the wine was really one dimentional. It was good but not
great.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 4:42 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> Thanks for your well wishes! Fragile isn't an option... :-) I had
> two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
> last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
> morning in addition to welcoming our newest grandchild. Who's got
> time for fragile?

Goodness me, I was thrown, well not quite thrown, I slid very
gracefully down the horses neck when he suddenly decided, quick as a
flash to eat some lovely green shoots of grass. I had to walk him
until I found a mounting place as I am only 5ft tall and he is an
Arabian Stallion (not mine).

What's wild turkey, is it the same as turkey that is bred in England?

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 5:08 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
>
> Congrats, Bill! And what a lineup of wines. Wasn't the '90 Montrose one
> of RMP's "100 point" wines? Your reaction to it seems a bit less
> effusive (but sounds great nonetheless). Regarding the '82 Montelena: I
> was just saying the other day that, to me, Ch. Montelena's Cabs are
> close to immobile. What I mean by that is that, even with 20+ years of
> bottle age, I detect little if any secondary aromas to those wines. To
> me, even Randy Dunn's wines develop more complexity than Ch.
> Montelena's. Even though you describe some "complexity," it seems to be
> more fruit-centered than what I'd term secondary characteristics.

I'm really feeling out of my depth on this group as I do not have a
clue about the wines mentioned, is there a group for people like me
who only know a little? I only ask as I don't want to offend any of
you by showing my ignorance as it is obvious I am amongst experts.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 10:52�am, Bi!! > wrote:
> In celebration of the addition of a new grandson to our family I
> opened a few bottles yesterday. *Quick recaps follow as grandpa was a
> bit too enthusiastic yesterday......:-)
>
> 1996 La Grande Dame-Initial nose of toasted bread and yeasty dough
> gave way to apples and pears with a bit of apple pie spice. *The wine
> kept changing and eventually showed grilled bread and hazelnuts. B+
>
> 1983 Trimbach Clos St. Hune Riesling VT-Fermented absolutely bone
> dry. *Rich and full bodied with notes of limestone and wet slate. *A
> bit of petrol on the nose but really quite under control and not
> offensive. *Plenty of white peach and lemon/lime. *A
>
> 2000 Sine Qua Non "The Boot"- 50% Chardonnay, 25% Viognier and 25%
> Rousanne. *Really quite interesting, I usually don't go for these
> exotic blends but this one grew on me. *At first it was very Burgundy-
> like with mineral, citrus and pineapple but after a while the other
> varietals crept through giving an ever evolving palate with waxy
> floral notes and a bit of bitter almond. B+
>
> 1990 Chateau Montrose-Very dark purple red with note hint of age. *A
> bit of rustic funk on the nose at first and a tad edgy on the palate
> with a touch of Brett. *Opened after an hour showing black fruits,
> currants, espresso and some tar. *Big brawny tannins this one needs
> more time but it does have a rustic charm. A-
>
> 1990 Chateau Lafite-More reddish purple than the Montrose. *Sleek and
> elegant yet quite powerful in a subtle way. *Tons of rich, mostly
> black fruits yet there was a bit of red fruit peeking through. *Cassis
> and blackberry with a bit of red raspberry and touch of tobacco all
> very well balanced in a smooth package. *Smooth tannins and a long
> finish. A
>
> 1982 Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet. *A bit cloudy in the glass
> showing just a hint of brick in the reddish purple color. *A bit of
> barnyard and Brett on the nose. *Still a fair amount of blackberry and
> anise notes coming through with an aedge of minerality. *Medium to
> full bodied on the palate with a fair amount of tannins still showing
> a fair amount of grip. *The wine was showing a bit of complexity with
> black cherry, blackberry and cassis, a bit of bitter chocolate and
> espresso on the finish. *Still a few more years to go but probably not
> much improvement left. *B-
>
> 1995 Jadot Bonnes Mares-Still youthful looking in the glass with no
> signs of age. *Dark Burgundy red and fairly thick with a bit of glass
> coating glycerin. *Nice aroma of mature Burgundy with earthy mushroom,
> exotic spice and sweet red cherry notes. *Beautiful fruit, a bit of
> red dirt mineral flavors, ripe sappy cherry flavors and a core of
> acidity made for a well balanced glass of wine. *My favorite of the
> day. *A+

Thanks for the notes, and congratulations!!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

For many wild turkey is a bird. For some in this group it is probably a
bourbon from Kentucky in the USA.

http://www.wildturkeybourbon.com/

Considering this group you really do need clarification :-)

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 30, 4:42 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
>> Thanks for your well wishes! Fragile isn't an option... :-) I had
>> two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
>> last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
>> morning in addition to welcoming our newest grandchild. Who's got
>> time for fragile?

> Goodness me, I was thrown, well not quite thrown, I slid very
> gracefully down the horses neck when he suddenly decided, quick as a
> flash to eat some lovely green shoots of grass. I had to walk him
> until I found a mounting place as I am only 5ft tall and he is an
> Arabian Stallion (not mine).
>
> What's wild turkey, is it the same as turkey that is bred in England?
>
> Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

" > writes:

> On Apr 30, 5:08 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > Bi!! wrote:
> >
> > Congrats, Bill! And what a lineup of wines. Wasn't the '90 Montrose one
> > of RMP's "100 point" wines? Your reaction to it seems a bit less
> > effusive (but sounds great nonetheless). Regarding the '82 Montelena: I
> > was just saying the other day that, to me, Ch. Montelena's Cabs are
> > close to immobile. What I mean by that is that, even with 20+ years of
> > bottle age, I detect little if any secondary aromas to those wines. To
> > me, even Randy Dunn's wines develop more complexity than Ch.
> > Montelena's. Even though you describe some "complexity," it seems to be
> > more fruit-centered than what I'd term secondary characteristics.

> I'm really feeling out of my depth on this group as I do not have a
> clue about the wines mentioned, is there a group for people like me
> who only know a little? I only ask as I don't want to offend any of
> you by showing my ignorance as it is obvious I am amongst experts.

I'm a fairly regular reader here, but not a regular poster.

So as a non-expert let me point out that there are plenty of more
modest wines discussed here (even going as far as the occasional
discussion of the merits or lack thereof of two-buck-chuck, which
personally I'm not willing to drink or buy even though I buy plenty of
under-$10 wine).

Discussions like "favorite Malbec under $15" are also not uncommon
(though I don't think that particular one has come up - anyone?).

Most of the regular posters here seem not to mind ignorance, though
some fur flies when ignorant people claim expertise. But I don't know
of any other public group as useful and interesting as this one for
this particular topic!

So my advice is: stick around. Post questions if you have them
(someone will enjoy answering them). Post opinions about wines you've
drunk. Etc.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 6:18 pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
> For many wild turkey is a bird. For some in this group it is probably a
> bourbon from Kentucky in the USA.
>
> http://www.wildturkeybourbon.com/
>
> Considering this group you really do need clarification :-)
>
> " > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Apr 30, 4:42 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> >> Thanks for your well wishes! Fragile isn't an option... :-) I had
> >> two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
> >> last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
> >> morning in addition to welcoming our newest grandchild. Who's got
> >> time for fragile?

> > Goodness me, I was thrown, well not quite thrown, I slid very
> > gracefully down the horses neck when he suddenly decided, quick as a
> > flash to eat some lovely green shoots of grass. I had to walk him
> > until I found a mounting place as I am only 5ft tall and he is an
> > Arabian Stallion (not mine).

> > What's wild turkey, is it the same as turkey that is bred in England?

> > Judith- Hide quoted text -

Aah yes, I know of the Bourbon as I went to Louisville in Kentucky!!!

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 6:21 pm, Doug Anderson >
wrote:
> " > writes:
> > On Apr 30, 5:08 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > > Bi!! wrote:

> > > Congrats, Bill! And what a lineup of wines. Wasn't the '90 Montrose one
> > > of RMP's "100 point" wines? Your reaction to it seems a bit less
> > > effusive (but sounds great nonetheless). Regarding the '82 Montelena: I
> > > was just saying the other day that, to me, Ch. Montelena's Cabs are
> > > close to immobile. What I mean by that is that, even with 20+ years of
> > > bottle age, I detect little if any secondary aromas to those wines. To
> > > me, even Randy Dunn's wines develop more complexity than Ch.
> > > Montelena's. Even though you describe some "complexity," it seems to be
> > > more fruit-centered than what I'd term secondary characteristics.

> > I'm really feeling out of my depth on this group as I do not have a
> > clue about the wines mentioned, is there a group for people like me
> > who only know a little? I only ask as I don't want to offend any of
> > you by showing my ignorance as it is obvious I am amongst experts.

> I'm a fairly regular reader here, but not a regular poster.
>
> So as a non-expert let me point out that there are plenty of more
> modest wines discussed here (even going as far as the occasional
> discussion of the merits or lack thereof of two-buck-chuck, which
> personally I'm not willing to drink or buy even though I buy plenty of
> under-$10 wine).
>
> Discussions like "favorite Malbec under $15" are also not uncommon
> (though I don't think that particular one has come up - anyone?).
>
> Most of the regular posters here seem not to mind ignorance, though
> some fur flies when ignorant people claim expertise. But I don't know
> of any other public group as useful and interesting as this one for
> this particular topic!
>
> So my advice is: stick around. Post questions if you have them
> (someone will enjoy answering them). Post opinions about wines you've
> drunk. Etc.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Doug, I will stick around I may well learn something.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 6:50 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I'm really feeling out of my depth on this group as I do not have a
> > clue about the wines mentioned, is there a group for people like me
> > who only know a little? I only ask as I don't want to offend any of
> > you by showing my ignorance as it is obvious I am amongst experts.

> Judith,
> Fear not! You will never offend by being ignorant. In fact, the
> questions that you ask will almost certainly spur some excellent
> discussions that educate us all. When I first started reading this
> group nearly 8 years ago, I knew a lot less about wine than I now do.
> This group has been the single most important contributor to my newfound
> knowledge (and has also introduced me to quite a few marvelous people to
> boot!). My only warning to you is that this group is dangerous to your
> pocketbook: you will read about so many wonderful wines (such as are
> found in Bill's notes) that you will be inspired to buy more.
> Fortunately, though, you will also read about many inexpensive wines
> that are very good, too, so you can go broke buying less pricey wines! ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Mark, you are a love, thank you, maybe in 8 years time, I will be able
to contribute a bit more.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 7:11 pm, "John T" > wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message

> >> I'm really feeling out of my depth on this group as I do not have a
> >> clue about the wines mentioned, is there a group for people like me
> >> who only know a little? I only ask as I don't want to offend any of
> >> you y showing my ignorance as it is obvious I am amongst experts.

> > Judith,
> > Fear not! You will never offend by being ignorant.

> Judith
> from your post, am I right to assume you are in the UK.
>
> first I echo Marks comment, please lurk and post.
>
> Tescos has a great deal the moment, they have Lanson NV Black Label at
> 14.78, great to put away for Christmas.
>
> life and wine are intermixed, you never stop learning and will make silly
> mistakes. Bulletin boards are educational, this is a good board and you will
> soon be part of world community.
>
> John T.........Solihull UK

Hello John, yes, I am in East Anglia, just outside Norwich to be exact
and it's a City that has a very tight link with the USA because of the
USAF air bases in this County.

I don't shop at Tesco but at Sainsbury's simply because it is nearer
to my home but Black Label at £14.78 is prety good. I am intending to
go off to France later this month so it will be interesting to see
what they are charging there.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 11:42 am, Bi!! > wrote:

I had
> two stents put in three weeks ago, I got thrown and kicked by my horse
> last week and I've been wild turkey hunting this past week every
> morning

First of all, congratulations.

Maybe you'll have the answer for me -- instead of me going to
backwoods.com and asking.

I've had wild turkeys coming close to my house for about two weeks now
since I've had grass replanted with hay on top. A few hours ago I
saw a 6 footer black snake and a smaller one about 4'.

Big question! Will the turkeys eat a black snake, or will black
snakes eat the turkeys. The turkeys are good-sized.

Another question: they are both the same sex, traveling together - I
would assume they are female. Is this usual?
Thanks,
Dee
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 1:15 pm, "
> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 5:08 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>
> > Bi!! wrote:

> > Congrats, Bill! And what a lineup of wines. Wasn't the '90 Montrose one
> > of RMP's "100 point" wines? Your reaction to it seems a bit less
> > effusive (but sounds great nonetheless). Regarding the '82 Montelena: I
> > was just saying the other day that, to me, Ch. Montelena's Cabs are
> > close to immobile. What I mean by that is that, even with 20+ years of
> > bottle age, I detect little if any secondary aromas to those wines. To
> > me, even Randy Dunn's wines develop more complexity than Ch.
> > Montelena's. Even though you describe some "complexity," it seems to be
> > more fruit-centered than what I'd term secondary characteristics.

> I'm really feeling out of my depth on this group as I do not have a
> clue about the wines mentioned, is there a group for people like me
> who only know a little? I only ask as I don't want to offend any of
> you by showing my ignorance as it is obvious I am amongst experts.
>
> Judith

Judith,
This is the right group for you. Over the past 25 years I have had
the good fortune of being able to learn about and acquire some really
great wines. I don't drink them everyday though. I post the notes on
the better ones (or the real stinkers) so that folks have an idea how
these wines are evolving. I have a business interest in a wine
distributorship in Ohio and Kentucky (Vanguard Wines, LLC) and I often
taste more $20 and under wines than I care to count these days...most
of which I wouldn't recommend. Due to the non-commercial nature of
this site I tend not to post notes on wines that Vanguard is involved
with and I post a disclaimer when I do. SO, keep posting!! BTW, the
wild turkey is the large wild bretheren of the domestic turkey (think
Thanksgiving in the USA) that is native to North America.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 1:15�pm, "
> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 5:08 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>
> > Bi!! wrote:

> > Congrats, Bill! And what a lineup of wines. Wasn't the '90 Montrose one
> > of RMP's "100 point" wines? *Your reaction to it seems a bit less
> > effusive (but sounds great nonetheless). *Regarding the '82 Montelena: I
> > was just saying the other day that, to me, Ch. Montelena's Cabs are
> > close to immobile. *What I mean by that is that, even with 20+ years of
> > bottle age, I detect little if any secondary aromas to those wines. *To
> > me, even Randy Dunn's wines develop more complexity than Ch.
> > Montelena's. *Even though you describe some "complexity," it seems to be
> > more fruit-centered than what I'd term secondary characteristics.

> I'm really feeling out of my depth on this group as I do not have a
> clue about the wines mentioned, is there a group for people like me
> who only know a little? *I only ask as I don't want to offend any of
> you by showing my ignorance as it is obvious I am amongst experts.
>
> Judith

US wines (such as Ch. Montelena, Dunn, etc) are poorly distributed in
UK, so not surprising they might not something you'd know. Even if
you drank red wines!

We all have areas where we are comparatively ignorant. Tokaji, South
Africa, Chile, Argentina, Madeira, are just a few areas I'm woefully
uninformed on. I read those posts with interest, and maybe learn a
bit, and maybe get inspired to try and find a recommended bottle. And
if I need to, I ask a question! I think everyone values your
participation.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 8:15 pm, Bi!! > wrote:

> Judith,
> This is the right group for you. Over the past 25 years I have had
> the good fortune of being able to learn about and acquire some really
> great wines. I don't drink them everyday though. I post the notes on
> the better ones (or the real stinkers) so that folks have an idea how
> these wines are evolving. I have a business interest in a wine
> distributorship in Ohio and Kentucky (Vanguard Wines, LLC) and I often
> taste more $20 and under wines than I care to count these days...most
> of which I wouldn't recommend. Due to the non-commercial nature of
> this site I tend not to post notes on wines that Vanguard is involved
> with and I post a disclaimer when I do. SO, keep posting!! BTW, the
> wild turkey is the large wild bretheren of the domestic turkey (think
> Thanksgiving in the USA) that is native to North America.- Hide quoted text -

Aah thank you Bi!! So your wild turkey is our cousin, how large is
large in the USA.
p.s. I loved Louisville and stayed in a lovely Country hotel there.
I especially loved that chugg chug train that runs through town, jump
on, jump off.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 3:54 pm, "
> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 8:15 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
>
> > Judith,
> > This is the right group for you. Over the past 25 years I have had
> > the good fortune of being able to learn about and acquire some really
> > great wines. I don't drink them everyday though. I post the notes on
> > the better ones (or the real stinkers) so that folks have an idea how
> > these wines are evolving. I have a business interest in a wine
> > distributorship in Ohio and Kentucky (Vanguard Wines, LLC) and I often
> > taste more $20 and under wines than I care to count these days...most
> > of which I wouldn't recommend. Due to the non-commercial nature of
> > this site I tend not to post notes on wines that Vanguard is involved
> > with and I post a disclaimer when I do. SO, keep posting!! BTW, the
> > wild turkey is the large wild bretheren of the domestic turkey (think
> > Thanksgiving in the USA) that is native to North America.- Hide quoted text -

> Aah thank you Bi!! So your wild turkey is our cousin, how large is
> large in the USA.
> p.s. I loved Louisville and stayed in a lovely Country hotel there.
> I especially loved that chugg chug train that runs through town, jump
> on, jump off.
>
> Judith

An adult male wild turkey is about 20-25 lbs. here in Ohio. Glad you
enjoyed Louisville. The Kentucky Derby is coming up and Louisville
will be hopping. Besides being the home of Kentucky Bourbon, Kentucky
is also known for it's fast women and beautiful horses....:-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 4:31 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> Besides being the home of Kentucky Bourbon, Kentucky
> is also known for it's fast women and beautiful horses....:-)- Hide quoted text -

And fine gentlemen! I can vouch for this.

Here are a couple of links

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=62fweg4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4thgb2e

One is a wild turkey taken at my home April 24th.

The other pic is taken from the car window of 'eating' turkeys. They
greet us when we pick up our milk. You can see my husband going into
the shed door to pick up the milk. They usually chase him and try to
attack him. They will climb up on the car.

The wild tukeys were up to my patio this morning, but if they hear
you, they take off.

Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 30, 9:31 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> On Apr 30, 3:54 pm, "
>

> > wrote:
> > On Apr 30, 8:15 pm, Bi!! > wrote:

> > > Judith,
> > > This is the right group for you. Over the past 25 years I have had
> > > the good fortune of being able to learn about and acquire some really
> > > great wines. I don't drink them everyday though. I post the notes on
> > > the better ones (or the real stinkers) so that folks have an idea how
> > > these wines are evolving. I have a business interest in a wine
> > > distributorship in Ohio and Kentucky (Vanguard Wines, LLC) and I often
> > > taste more $20 and under wines than I care to count these days...most
> > > of which I wouldn't recommend. Due to the non-commercial nature of
> > > this site I tend not to post notes on wines that Vanguard is involved
> > > with and I post a disclaimer when I do. SO, keep posting!! BTW, the
> > > wild turkey is the large wild bretheren of the domestic turkey (think
> > > Thanksgiving in the USA) that is native to North America.- Hide quoted text -

> > Aah thank you Bi!! So your wild turkey is our cousin, how large is
> > large in the USA.
> > p.s. I loved Louisville and stayed in a lovely Country hotel there.
> > I especially loved that chugg chug train that runs through town, jump
> > on, jump off.

> > Judith

> An adult male wild turkey is about 20-25 lbs. here in Ohio. Glad you
> enjoyed Louisville. The Kentucky Derby is coming up and Louisville
> will be hopping. Besides being the home of Kentucky Bourbon, Kentucky
> is also known for it's fast women and beautiful horses....:-)- Hide quoted text -

Well when I was there I was considered fast and beautiful :-)

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 1, 3:01 am, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On Apr 30, 4:31 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
>
> > Besides being the home of Kentucky Bourbon, Kentucky
> > is also known for it's fast women and beautiful horses....:-)- Hide quoted text -

> And fine gentlemen! I can vouch for this.
>
> Here are a couple of links
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=62fw...hp?pic=4thgb2e
>
> One is a wild turkey taken at my home April 24th.
>
> The other pic is taken from the car window of 'eating' turkeys. They
> greet us when we pick up our milk. You can see my husband going into
> the shed door to pick up the milk. They usually chase him and try to
> attack him. They will climb up on the car.
>
> The wild tukeys were up to my patio this morning, but if they hear
> you, they take off.
>
> Dee

Gosh thanks Dee, it seems that they behave a bit like an ostrich!!!

TN: Older French and one german wines cwdjrxyz Wine 2 15-10-2012 03:17 PM
TN: 2 very unusual older wines cwdjrxyz Wine 1 12-07-2012 04:37 PM
TN: 3 older wines cwdjrxyz Wine 0 01-09-2010 08:54 PM
Older white wines. James Silverton[_4_] Wine 4 07-02-2010 10:15 PM
Three older wines Ken Blake Wine 3 20-09-2006 02:02 PM