Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Older French and one german wines

All of the wines were bought shortly after release, had fills still in
the low neck, and no cork or other issues.

Ch. Mouton-Rothschild 1970: This was rather slow to mature but has
been holding well for the past several years. The color is still
fairly deep and shows only a bit of age around the rim. Bouquet and
taste show much cassis with some spice and other dark fruit character.
It is not as complex as some of the more famous years of Mouton, but
it has turned out much better than many thought it would when it was
young.

Berncasteler Doctor 1975 auslese, Weingut Wwe Dr H Thanish, AP Nr 2576
243 2076, long gold capsule with white bands at top and bottom. This
wine is still holding very well. There is intense fruit bouquet and
taste with a floral component. White peaches, pineapple, and citrus
are suggested. There is some, but not excessive, petrol old Riesling
character. This wine is very rich and sweet but is very well balanced
by acid and fruit. It perhaps is not as tropical as some of the 1976
better auslesen.

Chambertin 1976: Cuvee Heritiers Latour, Louis Latour. This wine is
still holding very well with dark fruit including dark cherries. While
perhaps not as complex and powerful as some more famous Chambertins,
it is a very good wine.

Hermitage "La Chapelle" 1983, Paul Jaboulet Aine.This wine still is
holding well and required many years of age to round out - it was
quite harsh when young. Tannins and sharp acidity are now under
control. There was a heavy, nearly black crust on the side of the
bottle that was down, yet the color of the wine still is quite deep
with little evidence of age around the rim. There is still plenty of
dark fruit bouquet and taste. This is a classic old style Hermitage
that has been worth the wait to age enough.

Ch Cos d'Estournel 1970. This is still holding well. It was somewhat
harsh early on, but it now is well rounded out. It is somewhat less
complex than the best 1970s. However it is still a decent food wine. I
would not buy more at this late date, but there were no technical
flaws.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:00:38 AM UTC-4, cwdjrxyz wrote:
> All of the wines were bought shortly after release, had fills still in
>
> the low neck, and no cork or other issues.
>

> Ch. Mouton-Rothschild 1970: This was rather slow to mature but has
>
> been holding well for the past several years. The color is still
>
> fairly deep and shows only a bit of age around the rim. Bouquet and
>
> taste show much cassis with some spice and other dark fruit character.
>
> It is not as complex as some of the more famous years of Mouton, but
>
> it has turned out much better than many thought it would when it was
>
> young.
>

> Berncasteler Doctor 1975 auslese, Weingut Wwe Dr H Thanish, AP Nr 2576
>
> 243 2076, long gold capsule with white bands at top and bottom. This
>
> wine is still holding very well. There is intense fruit bouquet and
>
> taste with a floral component. White peaches, pineapple, and citrus
>
> are suggested. There is some, but not excessive, petrol old Riesling
>
> character. This wine is very rich and sweet but is very well balanced
>
> by acid and fruit. It perhaps is not as tropical as some of the 1976
>
> better auslesen.
>

> Chambertin 1976: Cuvee Heritiers Latour, Louis Latour. This wine is
>
> still holding very well with dark fruit including dark cherries. While
>
> perhaps not as complex and powerful as some more famous Chambertins,
>
> it is a very good wine.
>

> Hermitage "La Chapelle" 1983, Paul Jaboulet Aine.This wine still is
>
> holding well and required many years of age to round out - it was
>
> quite harsh when young. Tannins and sharp acidity are now under
>
> control. There was a heavy, nearly black crust on the side of the
>
> bottle that was down, yet the color of the wine still is quite deep
>
> with little evidence of age around the rim. There is still plenty of
>
> dark fruit bouquet and taste. This is a classic old style Hermitage
>
> that has been worth the wait to age enough.
>

> Ch Cos d'Estournel 1970. This is still holding well. It was somewhat
>
> harsh early on, but it now is well rounded out. It is somewhat less
>
> complex than the best 1970s. However it is still a decent food wine. I
>
> would not buy more at this late date, but there were no technical
>
> flaws.

thanks for the notes, I have a bottle of the 70 Cos (NOT bought on release), hope mine is holding well.

Thanks for notes on 83 La Chapelle. Opinions seem to vary, but I think that might not just be provenance, but various releases. Jaboulet seems to have lots of variation.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/14/12 3:54 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Thanks for notes on 83 La Chapelle. Opinions seem to vary, but I
> think that might not just be provenance, but various releases.
> Jaboulet seems to have lots of variation.

Yes, I am away from my Livingtone-Learmonth books, but I'm fairly
certain that Jaboulet in that era continued the common Rhone-area
practice of "bottling on demand," creating multiple releases that
differed in the amount of time spent in foudre.

Mark Lipton