Posted to alt.food.wine

Default What's the least expensive wine you've enjoyed?

OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
really enjoyed?

I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
2004 is long gone.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in
:

> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine
> you've really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that
> really surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja,
> at $4 a bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6
> bottles. The 2004 is long gone.
>

> Jon

Oh, I can beat that so easily. Bodegas Borsao Garnacha Mítica 2005. 1,30
euros, that should be about $1.75.

S.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that
> really surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at
> $4 a bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles.
> The 2004 is long gone.
>

> Jon

Many years ago, we would go to my parent's house every Saturday night for
pizza. We would walk to Tim's Discount Wines and Liquors and buy Franzia
Cabernet Sauvignon, 750 ml with a cork closure. Quite a decent wine - 99
cents.

Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

Posted to alt.food.wine

Zeppo wrote on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:52:13 -0400:

Z> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a
Z> wine that really surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina
Z> Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a bottle was pretty impressive.
Z> Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The 2004 is long
Z> gone.

It's not a particularly good question, given inflation and the
antiquity of some of us (:-) I hate to think how little I paid
for carafes of good local wine in Italian, Spanish and French
restaurants in the 60s. The price we paid even for Swiss wines
then really induces nostalgia!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 10, 3:52?pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> 2004 is long gone.
>
> Jon

In the Loire I enjoyed a pitcher of local Chinon with complimentary
rillets(sp) for 1 euro in a bistro in a small village.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote:

> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive
> wine you've really enjoyed?

Yquem 1908. Got is as a gift. But I guess that does not comply
with the rules ... ;-)

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Does free count? I had dinner at a restaurant that gave you a bottle of
wine with 2 entrees. It was pretty good. I don't remember any details about
what the wine was. It was something like Pepperidge Hills. I only remember
its name was close to Pepperidge Farms.

Fred.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Zeppo wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?

Columbia Crest Estate Chardonnay for about $6.
Villa Mt. Eden Chardonnay for about $5.
Concannon Petite Syrah for about $6.

These wines easily compare to wines I find typically priced from $12-$15
or so.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay wrote:

> Yquem 1908. Got is as a gift. But I guess that does not comply
> with the rules ... ;-)

Wine Drinking 101 teaches that wines that are given to you makes them
taste better.
Posted to alt.food.wine

miles > wrote:

>> Yquem 1908. Got is as a gift. But I guess that does not comply
>> with the rules ... ;-)

> Wine Drinking 101 teaches that wines that are given to you makes
> them taste better.

For a standard consumer that would hold true. As a wine-writer,
I am arrogant enough to say that this does not apply to me in
most of the cases ... ;-)

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that

really
> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> 2004 is long gone.
>

> Jon

For sipping wines, I don't like the inexpensive ones. Well not quite true, I
enjoy cava and proscecco. But for food wines I like quite a few cheap ones.
For example, we had a Casa Solar (Tempranillo) 2004 with spinach gnocchi
with a red sauce. Plus we had alfredo chicken fettuccini. The wine--Price
USD 6.00. Nice match.

Evan

Posted to alt.food.wine

> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?

Two dollars, believe it or not. It was probably the best white wine
I've ever had. And I could not duplicate it.

Back when I was in college (oh, late 1970s) I went on a glee club tour
in Sonoma and Napa, and we stopped at a few wineries, one of which was
the Hop Kiln winery. They had a number of wines available for tasting,
one of which was their non-vintage white, "A thousand flowers". It was
sublime. Now, granted, my wine palate was not as developed as it is
now, but I thought it was marvelous, and I bought a bottle. I brought
it to New York and had it with my family, wondering if it would travel
well, and if it really was as good as I thought it was in the tasting
room. Well, it did and it was. Gotta get me more of that!

At the time, Hop Kiln only distributed in two stores, one in San
Francisco, and one in New York City. Neither was accessible to me, but
I had a friend who lived in the SF area and I pressed him to get me a
few more bottles. It was a year or two later, but he managed to get me
three; I think he went to the winery for them, but may have gone to
their one outlet. I don't remember. These were special wines - one I
gave to a restaurant as a thank you; I had arranged for newly married
friends to dine there at my expense, with a lot of secret-agent stuff
like a matching torn graham-cracker box top halves as ID. They hosted
the dinner, and then held onto the bill until I could manage to find my
way to the restaurant personally (a long time!) to actually pay it. I
told them this was the finest wine I had come across and I hoped that
they would enjoy it. The other bottle I gave to my mom, and I don't
remember the occasion of my opening the third bottle.

But it stank.

Ok, not "stank", but it was extremely disappointing. I can't even
imagine what the poor waiters thought when they opened my thank-you present!

So I asked my mom about her bottle - she said that it was nowhere near
as good as the first bottle, and yes, the first bottle was excellent.
So, at least I wasn't delusional when I originally tasted it. I guess
different years, different blends, who knows?

Around 1990 or so I started visiting California again, and the Hop Kiln
winery was certainly of interest. I have found that they can be uneven,
with a number of ok to good wines, nothing special, but an occasional
WOW! (which is often among their least expensive wines). So in 1997, I
had already bought my quota and we pass by the Hop Kiln.

WOW!

They had a crop of valdigue that they decided was so good they'd bottle
it alone. It was =sublime=. She Who Must Be Obeyed insisted that I'd
already bought too much wine, but I managed to get her to let me take
home a bottle.

I should have bought a case and had it shipped by limousine.

When I opened the bottle at home, I was equally floored. I would kill
for another, but alas, it was a very limited bottling, and I'm sure it's
all gone now.

So many wines, so little time!

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, says...

>OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
>really enjoyed?
>
>I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
>surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
>bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
>2004 is long gone.
>

>Jon

Jon,

Easy question, for me, at least. Some years back at my Costco (Miles, it was
the Scottsdale store). I had a cart load of wines, mostly high-end reds, like
Penfolds Grange. An older gentleman, a shopper, not a smurf, approached me and
said, "I see you like your wine. I have a recommendation for you, provided you
do not have a problem with South African wines. Just do not look at the
price." I wondered, about the last part, seeing as how I had 2 1er Cru Bdx.
the Grange, and some pretty heavy-hitters from CA. I told him that I had no
problem with SA wines, and even pointed out the Mulderbosch SBs, that I had.
He led me to the other side of the bin, and handed me a bottle with tissue. It
was a Bdx-styled bottle, and I unwrapped the tissue. Glen Carlou, Grand
Classique, Paarl, SA. "Never heard of it," I said. "Trust me, it is good," he
replied. I glanced towards the card on the bin. "I told you to NOT look at the
price," he shot back. It was US$12.95! I hesitated. "See, I told you not to
look... " "OK, on your rec., I'll try two bottles, and see what it holds," I
told him. I took the bottles home, and opened one that evening. "Interesting,"
I thought. I nursed it along for a bit and was really getting into it. When my
wife arrived home, I poured her a glass, instead of her usual white wine
starter. "Wow, this is good. What is it?" she inquired. "Oh, just a little SA
Bdx. blend from Costco." By then, I had researched Glen Carlou and knew about
the Grand Classique. We finished the bottle, and the next day, I bought a
case. Everyone, to whom I introduced this wine did the same thing - bought a
couple of bottles, tasted it, then bought a case. This went on for a couple of
years, until Costco no longer carried it. I had one of my last bottles the
other evening and it is NOT built to last, but is great upon release. At the
price-point, it is the best $13 btl. of wine that I have ever had.

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 10, 3:52?pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> 2004 is long gone.
>
> Jon

Wow, several Borsao references here. I'll add another, the "regular"
Borsao has been a perennial favorite in our house,. it used to be
close to $4 - now more like $7.

I've enjoyed several vintages of both the Quinta da Cabriz from
Portugal and the Iche "Les Heretiques" VdP d'Herault for around $6.

A recent find was the 2005 Dario D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo at $6,
but sold out when I checked back at Chambers St.

I'm leaving off some very good $2 Cotes du Rhones, etc from the early
90s- inflation has really struck in wineworld.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 1:19?am, (Hunt) wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

> >Does free count? I had dinner at a restaurant that gave you a bottle of
> >wine with 2 entrees. It was pretty good. I don't remember any details about
> >what the wine was. It was something like Pepperidge Hills. I only remember
> >its name was close to Pepperidge Farms.

> >Fred.

> Um-m Pepperwood Grove? Had a nice Zin from them years ago, but all that I have
> had since were not memorable.
>
> Hunt

Bet you're right. I had a very good Pepperwood Grove Syrah a few years
back. But the next year (and most PGs since) it was not nearly as
good. The danger of those "buy in bulk" negociant wines. Similar to
how the 47 lb rooster PN rose in price as it dived in quality.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that
> really surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at
> $4 a bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles.
> The 2004 is long gone.

Sorry, should have specified in the last year or so. Serves me right for
posting just before bolting out the door of my office for the day.

I've also recently enjoyed a Rosemount Estate diamond black Label Shiraz (I
think it was a 2003) I picked up for ~$7.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 10, 3:52 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> 2004 is long gone.
>
> Jon

One of the least expensive wines that I "really" enjoyed was a cheap
sauterne(s). I had never liked sauterne(s) and still don't to this
day, 'maybe' because I've never invested in the price for a good
bottle. I don't remember how or when this bottle was purchased, but
it was cheap and heavenly.

Is there a 'nice' sauterne(s) that is priced below $20. (I hate
throwing $20 away :-))

Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Zeppo wrote:
> "Zeppo" > wrote in message
>> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
>> really enjoyed?
>>
>> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that
>> really surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at
>> $4 a bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles.
>> The 2004 is long gone.

> Sorry, should have specified in the last year or so. Serves me right for
> posting just before bolting out the door of my office for the day.
>
> I've also recently enjoyed a Rosemount Estate diamond black Label Shiraz (I
> think it was a 2003) I picked up for ~$7.
>
> Jon

Then I would have to look at La Vielle Ferme Cotes du Ventoux at 5.99USD
second is Vina Alarba old vines at 7.99 USD both are excellent values
that make many 10-15 dollar wines look bad.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wow, several Borsao references here. I'll add another, the "regular"
> Borsao has been a perennial favorite in our house,. it used to be
> close to $4 - now more like $7.
>
> I've enjoyed several vintages of both the Quinta da Cabriz from
> Portugal and the Iche "Les Heretiques" VdP d'Herault for around $6.
>
> A recent find was the 2005 Dario D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo at $6,
> but sold out when I checked back at Chambers St.
>
> I'm leaving off some very good $2 Cotes du Rhones, etc from the early
> 90s- inflation has really struck in wineworld.

Dale,
Any idea what the full name of the regular Borsao might be? I'm clueless
about Spanish wine appelation names. would that be the 'Bodegas Borsao
Borsao Campo de Borja'?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11 Apr 2007 05:13:57 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:

>On Apr 11, 1:19?am, (Hunt) wrote:
>> In article >, says...
>>

>> >Does free count? I had dinner at a restaurant that gave you a bottle of
>> >wine with 2 entrees. It was pretty good. I don't remember any details about
>> >what the wine was. It was something like Pepperidge Hills. I only remember
>> >its name was close to Pepperidge Farms.

>> >Fred.

>> Um-m Pepperwood Grove? Had a nice Zin from them years ago, but all that I have
>> had since were not memorable.
>>
>> Hunt

>Bet you're right. I had a very good Pepperwood Grove Syrah a few years
>back. But the next year (and most PGs since) it was not nearly as
>good. The danger of those "buy in bulk" negociant wines. Similar to
>how the 47 lb rooster PN rose in price as it dived in quality.

Strange that you should mention the big bird.

Two weeks ago while roaming the local Tom Thumb Supermarket (Safeway
subsidiary) in Gainesville TX I saw the manager and a helper
scribbling on wine bottles and putting them in a shopping cart.
Thought maybe it was a bulk order or a distributor restocking
something.

Two days later saw a special display table with an array of
"discontinued" wines marked down probably to cost.

Bought up half a dozen Rex Goliaths at $5/btl--four PN and two Cab.
Was pleasantly surprised to find them both quite good. Noticed that
they are now labeled "vin du pays" and don't recall if there was a
vintage noted.

Also got a couple of Blackstone Merlot at $8 and Toasted Head Cabernet
at $8.25. Also quite good wines.

Went back to scrounge some more and found the whole lot gone.
Apparently there are some other winos with an eye for a bargain in the
Texoma area.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
news
> Zeppo wrote:
>> "Zeppo" > wrote in message
>>> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine
>>> you've really enjoyed?
>>>
>>> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that
>>> really surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja,
>>> at $4 a bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6
>>> bottles. The 2004 is long gone.

>> Sorry, should have specified in the last year or so. Serves me right for
>> posting just before bolting out the door of my office for the day.
>>
>> I've also recently enjoyed a Rosemount Estate diamond black Label Shiraz
>> (I think it was a 2003) I picked up for ~$7.
>>
>> Jon

> Then I would have to look at La Vielle Ferme Cotes du Ventoux at 5.99USD
> second is Vina Alarba old vines at 7.99 USD both are excellent values that
> make many 10-15 dollar wines look bad.

Joseph,
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check my sources for these and report
back how they were.

Regards,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 10, 3:52 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> 2004 is long gone.
>
> Jon

A $5 Nero d'Avola from Sicily, Petraio.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...dont_call.html

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 10, 3:52 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
>> really enjoyed?
>>
>> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that
>> really
>> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
>> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
>> 2004 is long gone.
>>
>> Jon

> A $5 Nero d'Avola from Sicily, Petraio.
>
> http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...dont_call.html

Thanks UC. I'll see if I can locate this to try it.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 1:21 pm, "UC" > wrote:

> A $5 Nero d'Avola from Sicily, Petraio.
>
> http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs.../blogs/dayton/...

I've bought Nero d'Avola from Sicily
In my notes both say: 'would buy again'

Corvo 2003 Nero d'Avola Sicily $7.99
and
Ruggero di Tasso, Nero D'Avola $4.99 - Sicily

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 1:21 pm, "UC" > wrote:
> On Apr 10, 3:52 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
> > OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> > really enjoyed?

> > I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> > surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> > bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> > 2004 is long gone.

> > Jon

> A $5 Nero d'Avola from Sicily, Petraio.
>
> http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs.../blogs/dayton/...

I also have in my files as "would buy again" two "Nero d'Avola" from
Sicily:

Ruggero di Tasso Nero D'Avola $4.99

Corvo 2003 Nero d'Avola $7.99

Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:52:13 -0400, "Zeppo" >
wrote:

>OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
>really enjoyed?
>
>I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
>surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
>bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
>2004 is long gone.
>

>Jon

Gasp... it was a "filler" from a batch of wines I bought via an
internet "clearance house". I had picked a few wines to buy, and as
it costs zero in extra freight to go from my 10 selected wines to a
dozen, a few "curiosity" bottles were added.

I989 Chateau Leamon (Geelong, Victoria, Australia) Cabernet Sauvignon.
From a region more renowned for Riesling and Pinot's, was pretty sure
it would have seen better days, but as a "filler" at $5AUD, what could
I lose? What exacerbated my doubt was when the foil was removed from
the bottle, a wet cork greeted me. Oh well I thought, that kills that
wine. Removed cork gradually, decantered, and sipped....wow. Full of
soft elegant dark berry fruits, silky tanins and a rich mouthfeel that
lingered for minutes. I can only assume the leakage was initiated
from the shipping, thus had not been totally tainted as longer term
leakage surely would have done to the wine. Huge surprise given the
circumstances surrounding this wine.

A week later, "curiosity" bottle #2 was opened. 1998 Blass. That was
it. Obviously a product of the famous Wolf Blass, but no description
on the bottle, not even varietal info (rare for an aussie wine). I
can only assume it was an export wine. I opened with a few friends
"blind". It was a Shiraz- Cab blend iirc, and whlist it did not
"sing" to us, it more than held it's own amongst better credentialled
wines. I could not resist, asking others to "price" the wine. $15 -
35 was the range..... it cost me $3AUD !!

Chock full of confidence with my new found supply channel, I ordered a
case of old chardonnay, Danbury Estate, 1999. It cost $24 for the
case plus freight. 1st bottle was opened a week or so later. It
looked like an aged chard, perhaps a tad too dark for my liking,
typically aged chard nose, and first mouthful was...well, ok at best,
maybe it would improve with some "air" time. Within minutes, and I
mean 1 or 2 minutes, the wine had collapsed, and tasted feral. The
nose turned into a rancid petroleum product and we sat about laughing
at how bad it was. Brown is not a good colour for wine either...:>)

So, in the world of wine, I guess we can always expect the unexpected.
That's why it is so much fun!!

hooroo....
Posted to alt.food.wine

Matt S wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:52:13 -0400, "Zeppo" >
> wrote:
>
>> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
>> really enjoyed?
>>
>> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
>> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
>> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
>> 2004 is long gone.
>>

>> Jon
>>

> Gasp... it was a "filler" from a batch of wines I bought via an
> internet "clearance house". I had picked a few wines to buy, and as
> it costs zero in extra freight to go from my 10 selected wines to a
> dozen, a few "curiosity" bottles were added.
>
> I989 Chateau Leamon (Geelong, Victoria, Australia) Cabernet Sauvignon.
> From a region more renowned for Riesling and Pinot's, was pretty sure
> it would have seen better days, but as a "filler" at $5AUD, what could
> I lose? What exacerbated my doubt was when the foil was removed from
> the bottle, a wet cork greeted me. Oh well I thought, that kills that
> wine. Removed cork gradually, decantered, and sipped....wow. Full of
> soft elegant dark berry fruits, silky tanins and a rich mouthfeel that
> lingered for minutes. I can only assume the leakage was initiated
> from the shipping, thus had not been totally tainted as longer term
> leakage surely would have done to the wine. Huge surprise given the
> circumstances surrounding this wine.
>

> So, in the world of wine, I guess we can always expect the unexpected.
> That's why it is so much

I too have had excellent wine with leakage, the secret is, I believe, to
drink those beasts young and not let any trouble get to them as they
have probably been abused already.

On a similar note i have heard that the best way to quick age a wine is
to drive around in the car with it, though in mid summer in FL this can
cook it faster than age . . .
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
says...

>On 11 Apr 2007 05:13:57 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:
>
>>On Apr 11, 1:19?am, (Hunt) wrote:
>>> In article >, says...

about

remember

>>> Um-m Pepperwood Grove? Had a nice Zin from them years ago, but all that I

hav
>>> had since were not memorable.
>>>
>>> Hunt

>>Bet you're right. I had a very good Pepperwood Grove Syrah a few years
>>back. But the next year (and most PGs since) it was not nearly as
>>good. The danger of those "buy in bulk" negociant wines. Similar to
>>how the 47 lb rooster PN rose in price as it dived in quality.

>Strange that you should mention the big bird.
>
>Two weeks ago while roaming the local Tom Thumb Supermarket (Safeway
>subsidiary) in Gainesville TX I saw the manager and a helper
>scribbling on wine bottles and putting them in a shopping cart.
>Thought maybe it was a bulk order or a distributor restocking
>something.
>
>Two days later saw a special display table with an array of
>"discontinued" wines marked down probably to cost.
>
>Bought up half a dozen Rex Goliaths at $5/btl--four PN and two Cab.
>Was pleasantly surprised to find them both quite good. Noticed that
>they are now labeled "vin du pays" and don't recall if there was a
>vintage noted.
>
>Also got a couple of Blackstone Merlot at $8 and Toasted Head Cabernet
>at $8.25. Also quite good wines.
>
>Went back to scrounge some more and found the whole lot gone.
>Apparently there are some other winos with an eye for a bargain in the
>Texoma area.
>

>Ed Rasimus

I hit a Cost Plus/World Market, just after a Renwood tasting. They had a case
of the Jackrabbit Flats at US$8/btl. I bought it in a heartbeat. The Gran Pere
and Gran Mere were US$12, and all of the bottles were autographed! Sometimes
it pays to look in the bargain bins. Who knows what you'll find. Unfortunately
for the next guy past, all were in my cart!

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

Zeppo > wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?

Probably Ravenswood Lodi '02. Paid about 5 UKP for it and inserted it
into a blind tasting alongside Seghesio Old Vines and Ridge Lytton
Springs (both of which are about five times the price) and it held up
very well.

Andrew.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 12, 10:18 am, Andrew Haley >
wrote:
> Zeppo > wrote:
> > OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> > really enjoyed?

> Probably Ravenswood Lodi '02. Paid about 5 UKP for it and inserted it
> into a blind tasting alongside Seghesio Old Vines and Ridge Lytton
> Springs (both of which are about five times the price) and it held up
> very well.
>
> Andrew.

Which Ravenswood Lodi 2002?
http://www.liquiddiscount.com/store/...op=TEXT_SEARCH
Thanks
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee > wrote:
> On Apr 12, 10:18 am, Andrew Haley >
> wrote:
>> Zeppo > wrote:
>> > OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
>> > really enjoyed?

>> Probably Ravenswood Lodi '02. Paid about 5 UKP for it and inserted it
>> into a blind tasting alongside Seghesio Old Vines and Ridge Lytton
>> Springs (both of which are about five times the price) and it held up
>> very well.

> Which Ravenswood Lodi 2002?
> http://www.liquiddiscount.com/store/...op=TEXT_SEARCH

http://www.ravenswood-wine.com/wines/lodi_zin.asp

Andrew.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hunt wrote:

> IIRC, Ed, these were the last year that the Gan Mere/Pere were actually
> Renwood properties. As I recall, the name was retained, but the vineyards were
> not. Seems that Mark Lipton had the info on this, and maybe can chime in.

Good memory, Hunt! The story was that the Grandpere vyd is owned by
Scott Harvey's ex-wife Terri. When he was winemaker at Renwood, they
had access to those grapes. Then, in '96 there was the now-infamous
split between Scott and Renwood, and a divorce between Scott and Terri.
She got the vineyard, Renwood got the rights to the name Grandpere and
Harvey got the hell out of Amador ;-) So, Renwood's Grandpere bottling
is made from a vineyard that came from cuttings from the "Original
Grandpere Vineyard" (as it's now known). The whole sordid tale can be
found he

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2sj2u3

Mark Lipton
Zin Groupie
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 10, 3:52 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> 2004 is long gone.
>
> Jon

At a time when funds were low, I picked up a 1.5L bottle of Carlo
Rossi Chablis Calif. Not too shabby for $10.99 !

Dan-O (King of bargain hunters)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 10:26?am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Wow, several Borsao references here. I'll add another, the "regular"
> > Borsao has been a perennial favorite in our house,. it used to be
> > close to $4 - now more like $7.

> > I've enjoyed several vintages of both the Quinta da Cabriz from
> > Portugal and the Iche "Les Heretiques" VdP d'Herault for around $6.

> > A recent find was the 2005 Dario D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo at $6,
> > but sold out when I checked back at Chambers St.

> > I'm leaving off some very good $2 Cotes du Rhones, etc from the early
> > 90s- inflation has really struck in wineworld.

> Dale,
> Any idea what the full name of the regular Borsao might be? I'm clueless
> about Spanish wine appelation names. would that be the 'Bodegas Borsao
> Borsao Campo de Borja'?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Jon,
that sound right. The one with the black background on label.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 3:52 am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> really enjoyed?
>
> I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> 2004 is long gone.
>
> Jon

It seems I had a Malbec here in China that should have retailed around
6-8USD here that had some good character. Of course, after the mark-
up, it was a little more than 10USD. I think it was a lower end
Bodega Salentein wine; maybe their Finca el Portillo 02 or 03. Really
plumy/jammy and good to eat with Chinese food, I thought.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 14, 10:48 am, "Mydnight" > wrote:
> On Apr 11, 3:52 am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
> > OK, the most expensive was fun. How about the least expensive wine you've
> > really enjoyed?

> > I tried a sale item at a wine shop I deal with and found a wine that really
> > surprised me. A 2004 Bodegas Borsao Vina Borgia Campo de Borja, at $4 a
> > bottle was pretty impressive. Wish I had bought more than 6 bottles. The
> > 2004 is long gone.

> > Jon

> It seems I had a Malbec here in China that should have retailed around
> 6-8USD here that had some good character. Of course, after the mark-
> up, it was a little more than 10USD. I think it was a lower end
> Bodega Salentein wine; maybe their Finca el Portillo 02 or 03. Really
> plumy/jammy and good to eat with Chinese food, I thought.

Oh, one more thing that I forgot to add. In our "most expensive"
thread, I did not see any of those wines around here, but I have seen
a number of the ones here on our "least expensive" thread. Times are
indeed dire. heh.