Posted to alt.food.wine

Default California, Washington Cabernets $20-$40 a bottle

> If the previous question was too general, here's a slightly more specific query: What are some good suggestions for Cabernets (from anywhere) for between $20 and $40? What I would like, but probably won't get, is something complex, very slightly on the woody side, tasting like something between an Haut-Brion and Lafite Rothshild, both properly aged. (Just a joke. Sorry.)

I don't recall the mix of flavors, but I've always liked Simi Cabs.
(Simi winery). I haven't had one in a few years, but it's been dependable.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Posted to alt.food.wine

If the previous question was too general, here's a slightly more
specific query: What are some good suggestions for Cabernets (from
anywhere) for between $20 and $40? What I would like, but probably won't
get, is something complex, very slightly on the woody side, tasting like
something between an Haut-Brion and Lafite Rothshild, both properly
aged. (Just a joke. Sorry.)

In general, it's difficult for me to find cabs that are complex,
balanced, and that taste like they have been properly aged. - I don't
have a wine cellar and don't expect to live long enough to age them
myself. What about some of the reserve Ste. Michelles? Some of the
Stags Leap cabs in this price range also look good.

Jim
Posted to alt.food.wine

JimC > wrote in
:

> If the previous question was too general, here's a slightly more
> specific query: What are some good suggestions for Cabernets (from
> anywhere) for between $20 and $40? What I would like, but probably won't
> get, is something complex, very slightly on the woody side, tasting like
> something between an Haut-Brion and Lafite Rothshild, both properly
> aged. (Just a joke. Sorry.)
>
> In general, it's difficult for me to find cabs that are complex,
> balanced, and that taste like they have been properly aged. - I don't
> have a wine cellar and don't expect to live long enough to age them
> myself. What about some of the reserve Ste. Michelles?

I'd say go across the street from Ste Michelle to Columbia Winery. Last
time I went they had quite a wine library. It may only be available at the
winery though.
http://www.columbiawinery.com/home.asp

Terra Blanca also has some nice Cabernets. In WA Cosco offers them, but
from Costco their below your range.
http://www.terrablanca.com/

L'Ecole no 41 is probably better than either of the above, but getting an
aged Cab would definitely put it beyound the $40 range.

Woodward Canyon, has some 375's in your price range, and the 2001 and 2002
are probably ready now.

http://www.woodwardcanyon.com/

Russell Creek if I remember correctly has good Cab. They also have a space
on the order form for *Library Wines* so it might be possible to get some
aged Cabs from them.

Seven Hills Winery, Three Rivers, Townshend Cellars (though I'd go for his
blends rather than his Cab, I think he adds complexity by adding merlot and
Cab Franc to the mix.),

There are undoubtedly others that meet your criteria, but I eliminated a
bunnch if older vintages were either not available, or way above your price
range. Also I eliminated some who I *think* make good Cab, but what I
remembered them for was their Syrah, eliminated others who were more "mass
market" wines, and of course a lot I haven't tasted at all.

If you want more info on Washington wines, http://www.washingtonwine.org/
has a lot of info available. Since it's a State Government organization
charged with promoting Washington wines, don't expect objectivitiy. But
lost of good info there anyway.

> Some of the
> Stags Leap cabs in this price range also look good.
>
> Jim

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 28, 10:27�pm, JimC > wrote:
> If the previous question was too general, here's a slightly more
> specific query: What are some good suggestions for Cabernets (from
> anywhere) for between $20 and $40? What I would like, but probably won't
> get, is something complex, very slightly on the woody side, tasting like
> something between an Haut-Brion and Lafite Rothshild, both properly
> aged. (Just a joke. Sorry.)
>
> In general, it's difficult for me to find cabs that are complex,
> balanced, and that taste like they have been properly aged. - I don't
> have a wine cellar and don't expect to live long enough to age them
> myself. *What about some of the reserve Ste. Michelles? Some of the
> Stags Leap cabs in this price range also look good.
>
> Jim

It's going to be tough finding much aged in that price range. I have
found some mature Woodward Canyons, Barnetts,Ridge SCM CSs, and
Thunder Mountains that were very good for under $40, but that's
usually a one-time deal (I'm addictive, and on waaaaaayy too many
retailers' mailing lists).

I've also like Pine Ridge, Phelps base Napa, and Franciscan Oakville.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Zo Zo is offline

On 29 Mar 2007 10:37:30 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:

>On Mar 28, 10:27?pm, JimC > wrote:
>> If the previous question was too general, here's a slightly more
>> specific query: What are some good suggestions for Cabernets (from
>> anywhere) for between $20 and $40? What I would like, but probably won't
>> get, is something complex, very slightly on the woody side, tasting like
>> something between an Haut-Brion and Lafite Rothshild, both properly
>> aged. (Just a joke. Sorry.)
>>
>> In general, it's difficult for me to find cabs that are complex,
>> balanced, and that taste like they have been properly aged. - I don't
>> have a wine cellar and don't expect to live long enough to age them
>> myself. hat about some of the reserve Ste. Michelles? Some of the
>> Stags Leap cabs in this price range also look good.
>>
>> Jim

>It's going to be tough finding much aged in that price range. I have
>found some mature Woodward Canyons, Barnetts,Ridge SCM CSs, and
>Thunder Mountains that were very good for under $40, but that's
>usually a one-time deal (I'm addictive, and on waaaaaayy too many
>retailers' mailing lists).
>
>I've also like Pine Ridge, Phelps base Napa, and Franciscan Oakville.

Two small WA labels to look for who make red blends in this range are
Cadence - http://cadencewinery.com/

And Baer - http://www.baerwinery.com/

Both are really excellent for the price range, though both are also
fairly new (Baer goes all the way back to to 2000) - but I think most
of their wines in this range are good for drinking shortly after
release. The trick will be finding them if you are not in the
Northwest. I think Cadence is more widely available.

Dale M.

Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernets lleichtman Wine 3 28-08-2012 04:25 PM
Cheaper but better Cabernets Thursten Hardon III Wine 5 19-09-2007 07:57 AM
1978 California Cabernets Bill S. Wine 4 01-05-2007 09:56 PM
Whither California Cabernets? Max Hauser Wine 3 20-11-2004 04:54 AM
1994 Cabernets Bill Spohn Wine 5 23-05-2004 03:07 PM