Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: ZH on Valentines

Betsy was making a duck breast with orange (I thought) sauce, cabbage
with bacon and gorgonzola, and lemon-cheese potato fans for our
romantic Valentine's dinner for three.
(We had a snow day, the teen was with his girlfriend and friends all
day and decided he would stay in for dinner)

I had solicited advice for the duck on previous night, my thought was
off-dry Riesling (I usually prefer PN with duck, but the sweet sauce)-
others countered with Gewurztraminer or Chenin Blanc. When pondering
my cellar list I decided this was a good time to get rid of one of
those ZH wines that I can never figure out what to serve with.

I brought up the 1999 Zind-Humbrecht "Herrenweg de Turckheim"
Gewurztraminer (Alsace). At that point I found out that Betsy was
doing a variation, using kumquats & kumquat zest rather than orange,
but it still used Grand Marnier and I didn't think it was a big change
re matching.

Floral nose with litchees and honey. Rather heavy/oily on the palate,
mildly sweet. Very Humbrecht, very Gewurz. As one my expect, rather
low-acid. Flavorwise a pretty good match to the duck's sauce, but not
a wine I would seek out again - it could use more zip. More a question
of "not my style" than quality, certainly a well-made wine. Still,
nice to clear out one of my last non-dessert ZHs. B

After dinner we had some nice quiet time watching a movie while David
studied upstairs, actually a pretty nice Valentines Day after a hard
day shoveling.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default ZH on Valentines

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> After dinner we had some nice quiet time watching a movie while David
> studied upstairs, actually a pretty nice Valentines Day after a hard
> day shoveling.

Shoveling? Good Lord, Dale, take some of that wine money and buy a snow
thrower.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 15, 10:41?am, "Joe Giorgianni" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > After dinner we had some nice quiet time watching a movie while David
> > studied upstairs, actually a pretty nice Valentines Day after a hard
> > day shoveling.

> Shoveling? Good Lord, Dale, take some of that wine money and buy a snow
> thrower.
>
> --
> Joe Giorgianni
> TheWho.org
>
> "This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

If I spent money on snowblowers, clothing, movies, or anything else,
I'd have no money for wine. Priorities, man!

I actually don't usually mind shoveling, but this was an incredibly
dense snow/ice (and today was worse, 13? last night and everything
froze solid- I broke a shovel digging out a van).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 15 Feb 2007 11:34:27 -0800, "DaleW" > wrote:

>On Feb 15, 10:41?am, "Joe Giorgianni" > wrote:
>> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> > After dinner we had some nice quiet time watching a movie while David
>> > studied upstairs, actually a pretty nice Valentines Day after a hard
>> > day shoveling.

>> Shoveling? Good Lord, Dale, take some of that wine money and buy a snow
>> thrower.
>>
>> --
>> Joe Giorgianni
>> TheWho.org
>>
>> "This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

>If I spent money on snowblowers, clothing, movies, or anything else,
>I'd have no money for wine. Priorities, man!
>
>I actually don't usually mind shoveling, but this was an incredibly
>dense snow/ice (and today was worse, 13? last night and everything
>froze solid- I broke a shovel digging out a van).

Where's Al Gore when we need a blast of warm air....?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> I actually don't usually mind shoveling, but this was an incredibly
> dense snow/ice (and today was worse, 13? last night and everything
> froze solid- I broke a shovel digging out a van).

Here in upstate New York it was light and fluffy but we got 36" of it.

Felt good to enjoy a glass of wine after snowblowing.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

Posted to alt.food.wine

> I actually don't usually mind shoveling, but this was an incredibly
> dense snow/ice

I also don't mind shoveling - I do it as it comes down so I don't have
to do a foot at a time. I also have one of those "electric shovels" -
sort of a teeny weeny snowthrower. It's useless except for exactly this
kind of very dense snow (and for the stuff the snowplows dump in front
of my driveway). For that, it's golden.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:56:29 GMT
Jose > wrote:

> kind of very dense snow (and for the stuff the snowplows dump in front
> of my driveway). For that, it's golden.

As Frank Zappa remarked, stay clear of the golden snow.

Hope you all managed to stay safe in the big storm. We've followed from
here, sounds nasty. Locally daphs and crocuses, 70 F tomorrow, apparently.

Oh, and lots and lots of mud.

cheers,

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 15, 10:06?am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> Betsy was making a duck breast with orange (I thought) sauce, cabbage
> with bacon and gorgonzola, and lemon-cheese potato fans for our
> romantic Valentine's dinner for three.
> (We had a snow day, the teen was with his girlfriend and friends all
> day and decided he would stay in for dinner)
>
> I had solicited advice for the duck on previous night, my thought was
> off-dry Riesling (I usually prefer PN with duck, but the sweet sauce)-
> others countered with Gewurztraminer or Chenin Blanc. When pondering
> my cellar list I decided this was a good time to get rid of one of
> those ZH wines that I can never figure out what to serve with.
>
> I brought up the 1999 Zind-Humbrecht "Herrenweg de Turckheim"
> Gewurztraminer (Alsace). At that point I found out that Betsy was
> doing a variation, using kumquats & kumquat zest rather than orange,
> but it still used Grand Marnier and I didn't think it was a big change
> re matching.
>
> Floral nose with litchees and honey. Rather heavy/oily on the palate,
> mildly sweet. Very Humbrecht, very Gewurz. As one my expect, rather
> low-acid. Flavorwise a pretty good match to the duck's sauce, but not
> a wine I would seek out again - it could use more zip. More a question
> of "not my style" than quality, certainly a well-made wine. Still,
> nice to clear out one of my last non-dessert ZHs. B

It's a funny thng about Z-H wines. When I open a bottle to enjoy with
family dinner I always feel that it's over ripe and a bit flabby and
isn't very food friendly. When I'm at a party or a function and
someone opens a bottle, it's always a star. I think it's that honey/
lychee thing that turns me off with food but gets folks attention at a
party.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 15, 4:47�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> It's a funny thng about Z-H wines. *When I open a bottle to enjoy with
> family dinner I always feel that it's over ripe and a bit flabby and
> isn't very food friendly. *When I'm at a party or a function and
> someone opens a bottle, it's always a star. *I think it's that honey/
> lychee thing that turns me off with food but gets folks attention at a
> party.- Hide quoted text -

That's a damn good summary! My ideal ZH consumption is 2 oz as an
apertif that host gives you as you come in door.

I used to like the ZH Brand Riesling, but the more I like Riesling,
the less I like those. My ZH purchases in last 6-8 years have been
limited to PG, Gewurz, and Muscat (and the Pinot d'Alsace/"Zind"
stuff).

Valentines Day wine PeterL2[_2_] General Cooking 5 06-02-2010 05:11 PM
Valentines Day Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 8 11-02-2009 03:36 PM
Valentines Ideas travisray Wine 0 26-01-2009 05:20 PM
Valentines Day Moni Chocolate 0 11-02-2008 03:18 AM
Yay, we'll be alone for Valentines! kilikini General Cooking 82 19-02-2005 01:52 PM