Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Santa Barbara CA recommendations

My wife and I are going to SB in a few days, and we may have time to
visit a winery or three. I have gleaned a few ideas from Google
archives: Melville, Fess Parker, Cambria, Foxen, Babcock, Sanford.
Which of these is worth visiting -- or worth skipping. Any other
suggestions?

Thanks.

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com>,
"AyTee" > wrote:

> My wife and I are going to SB in a few days, and we may have time to
> visit a winery or three. I have gleaned a few ideas from Google
> archives: Melville, Fess Parker, Cambria, Foxen, Babcock, Sanford.
> Which of these is worth visiting -- or worth skipping. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy

Also try Tensley Wines 2900 Grand Avenue Suite B Los Olivos, CA 93441
Really nice people and some world class Syrahs.
Posted to alt.food.wine

There's a section on SB rec is FAQ:
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/

I'd just add I've yet to meet a Fess Parker wine that I'd give a
coonskin cap for.

AyTee wrote:
> My wife and I are going to SB in a few days, and we may have time to
> visit a winery or three. I have gleaned a few ideas from Google
> archives: Melville, Fess Parker, Cambria, Foxen, Babcock, Sanford.
> Which of these is worth visiting -- or worth skipping. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thumbs up to Melville and Tensley. I would also HIGHLY recommend you
seek out and taste the wines from CORE. Their website
(www.corewine.com) says "Every Saturday: Taste CORE at East Beach Wine
in Santa Barbara. Come by and taste CORE at Wine Country in Los
Olivos." Dave Corey and his wife Becky are making some great wines-
particularly their Elevation Sensation and Hard CORE bottlings. One
other suggestion: eat at Patrick's Side Street Cafe in Los Olivos, and
try the paella.

In Santa Barbara you can visit the Wine Cask, and any of the folks
there (especially Wendy) can make top recommendations for which
wineries to visit.

cheers,
e.
_____________________
www.winemonger.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

AyTee wrote:
> My wife and I are going to SB in a few days, and we may have time to
> visit a winery or three. I have gleaned a few ideas from Google
> archives: Melville, Fess Parker, Cambria, Foxen, Babcock, Sanford.
> Which of these is worth visiting -- or worth skipping. Any other
> suggestions?

There are only a few wineries right around SB. There are numerous
wineries 25-40 miles to the north.

The first group is around the Solvang and Buellton area.
West side of 101:
Sanford is an old ranch house and doesn't look like much but they do
have some very nice Chardonnay's and Pinot's. There are a few wineries
further down the road that are all good.

Melville and Babcock are next door to each other also west of 101. They
both have some excellent wines but some are quite pricey.

East side of 101:
Rideau which is one of my favorites. They have two levels of tasting.
I opted for the $10 premium wine tasting. Their wines are outstanding.

Between Solvang and Santa Maria is the Foxen Trail route with several
wineries and some very scenic countryside.

Firestone:
Yes, the tire people own a winery, brewery and restaurant! Decent wines
at fair prices. If you taste here you can also taste at nearby Curtis
winery for free (or vis-versa).

Fess Parker:
Beautiful winery, picnic grounds and gift shop. Their wines are decent
but nothing great.

Foxen:
Smallest winery around! Just an open barn on the side of the road. Not
really any parking lot so just park off the roadway. Doesn't look like
much at all but their wines are 1st class.

Cambria:
One of my favorites. Very nice winery with a great view of the valley.
Most of their wines tasted are not available outside the region.
These wines are superb but some are pricey. Nearby is Kenneth Volk
which is worth a stop. Next door is Byron but currently they do not
offer tasting.

Cottonwood Canyon:
This winery pairs their tastings with small pieces of cheese, peppers
etc. They bottle age most of their wines longer than most so expect to
see 1998-2002 releases here.

Firestone Brewery in Buellton just off the 101 is a great place for
lunch or dinner. Great food and great beer.

Visit Solvang for some very fun window shopping. Theres also a few
wineries mixed in among the stores. To the north is Los Olivos which is
another fun small town to stop for lunch on the way to Foxen trail.

If you have time visit the wineries of Edna Valley which is just west of
Pismo Beach. Very pretty area for a day of wine tasting with about a
dozen or so wineries.

Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:
<SNIP>

Nice writeup, Miles. I will incorporate those recommendations into my
next update of the FAQ. On the subject of Sanford: have you (or anyone
else) tasted their wines since the sale of the winery? I've heard some
speculation of a loss in quality, but would like to get some firsthand data.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Beware of zaftick waitresses with biker husband's and no
merlot..................

Miles Sideways
Perpetual Victim
"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
m...
> miles wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> Nice writeup, Miles. I will incorporate those recommendations into my
> next update of the FAQ. On the subject of Sanford: have you (or anyone
> else) tasted their wines since the sale of the winery? I've heard some
> speculation of a loss in quality, but would like to get some firsthand

data.

> Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> miles wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> Nice writeup, Miles. I will incorporate those recommendations into my
> next update of the FAQ. On the subject of Sanford: have you (or anyone
> else) tasted their wines since the sale of the winery? I've heard some
> speculation of a loss in quality, but would like to get some firsthand data.

I was there last spring and will be there again in March. I was aware
of the sale but have not heard whats been changed as far as winemakers.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks to all. This gives me plenty of information to get started. Not
sure yet how much spare time I will have, but we plan to visit at least
a couple of wineries. I will report upon my return.

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

Watch the movie Sideways and then visit all the wineries that are shown
in it as it is filmed in the area. One note is that one scene was
filmed at Fess Parker but they opted to use a fake name for the winery.

AyTee wrote:
> Thanks to all. This gives me plenty of information to get started. Not
> sure yet how much spare time I will have, but we plan to visit at least
> a couple of wineries. I will report upon my return.
>
> Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg wrote:
> Beware of zaftick waitresses with biker husband's and no
> merlot..................

I thought the husband was a tow-truck driver, not a biker.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.wine

Actually, the stunt guy for the tow truck driver was Ron Jeremy with a lot
of padding---the actor playing the driver got involved with a herd of sheep
earlier in the day and was spent..................
"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
. ..
> Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg wrote:
> > Beware of zaftick waitresses with biker husband's and no
> > merlot..................

> I thought the husband was a tow-truck driver, not a biker.
>
> Dana

Posted to alt.food.wine

Check out Winerybound.com

It lists wineries from with google mapas and give instant directions.
Good Luck!

On Jan 21, 9:00 pm, "AyTee" > wrote:
> My wife and I are going to SB in a few days, and we may have time to
> visit a winery or three. I have gleaned a few ideas from Google
> archives: Melville, Fess Parker, Cambria, Foxen, Babcock, Sanford.
> Which of these is worth visiting -- or worth skipping. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

"ferment" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Check out Winerybound.com
>
> It lists wineries from with google mapas and give instant directions.
> Good Luck!

"Check out *my* website Winerybound.com

*We* list wineries from with google mapas and give instant directions.
Good Luck!"

FIXED.

"mapas"?
--
I didn't write it, but you can find the alt.food.wine FAQ he
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/
Posted to alt.food.wine

Wow, I don't even know how to respond to being attacked by a complete
stranger because I offered advice to someone who requested it.

Please fix your damage with counseling and leave the wine world alone.
It certainly has enough individuals who act like they know more than
they do, in addition to presenting themselves as more intelligent while
they pick apart people and products of the industry.

My sincerest apologies for using this forum to address this issue due
to rudeness. The reaction of me taking the time to drive one individual
to my site, when in fact it's much more important for me to find venues
to drive thousands, only show me your lack of business understanding in
addition to kindness in human nature.

Heather Truchot
Founder
Winerybound

On Jan 25, 2:40 pm, enoavidh > wrote:
> "ferment" > wrote roups.com:
>
> > Check out Winerybound.com

> > It lists wineries from with google mapas and give instant directions.
> > Good Luck!"Check out *my* website Winerybound.com

> *We* list wineries from with google mapas and give instant directions.
> Good Luck!"
>
> FIXED.
>
> "mapas"?
> --
> I didn't write it, but you can find the alt.food.wine FAQ hehttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/

Posted to alt.food.wine

Maybe you are not aware of the etiquette here, Heather, but enovidh is
correct. Full disclosure is appropriate here if you do not wish to be
considered a spammer.

Thanks for the link all the same.

Andy

On Jan 26, 9:18 am, "ferment" > wrote:
> Wow, I don't even know how to respond to being attacked by a complete
> stranger because I offered advice to someone who requested it.
>
> Please fix your damage with counseling and leave the wine world alone.
> It certainly has enough individuals who act like they know more than
> they do, in addition to presenting themselves as more intelligent while
> they pick apart people and products of the industry.
>
> My sincerest apologies for using this forum to address this issue due
> to rudeness. The reaction of me taking the time to drive one individual
> to my site, when in fact it's much more important for me to find venues
> to drive thousands, only show me your lack of business understanding in
> addition to kindness in human nature.
>
> Heather Truchot
> Founder
> Winerybound
>
> On Jan 25, 2:40 pm, enoavidh > wrote:
>

> > "ferment" > wrote roups.com:

> > > Check out Winerybound.com

> > > It lists wineries from with google mapas and give instant directions.
> > > Good Luck!"Check out *my* website Winerybound.com

> > *We* list wineries from with google mapas and give instant directions.
> > Good Luck!"

> > FIXED.

> > "mapas"?
> > --
> > I didn't write it, but you can find the alt.food.wine FAQ hehttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Visiting Santa Barbara Wine Country Recommendations? [email protected] Wine 2 11-05-2006 03:54 AM
Santa Barbara Shrimp With Mustard lottery75115 Recipes (moderated) 0 29-07-2005 04:53 AM
Santa Barbara Coachhockey Sushi 0 07-03-2005 12:42 AM
Pizza in Santa Barbara CS Restaurants 4 14-11-2004 02:58 AM
Top restaurants in Tucson and Santa Barbara? Frank D. Greco Restaurants 7 22-10-2004 06:02 PM