Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines on Christmas eve and day

Saturday was busy, and Betsy prepared a simple dinner of chicken and
vegetables in parchment. I opened the 2005 Paul Pernot Bourgogne
straight from the fridge, and found it surprisingly oaky. But as it
warmed a bit the oak faded (usually I think oak shows more warm, but
not this time) and a lovely pear and hazelnut middleweight showed
through. By following night the oak was totally in the background, the
wine all about wet stones, sweet white fruit, and good acidity. B+ ,
solid A for value

Christmas Eve I spent the day preparing for my organization's Christmas
Party on the streets, but for only the second time in 16 years I wasn't
going (lots of experienced volunteers, and for once I wanted more than
2 hours sleep. After afternoon loading, we made it to two Christmas Eve
soirees, a small cocktail party and a big dinner. '

At the first party, my fave was the leftover Bourgogne, but I tried
each of the rougecentric host's wines:

2004 Borsao Tres Picos Garnacha
Very popular with others, I found this overripe. I've consistently
preferred the cheaper Borsao regular bottling. This was a bit raisiny,
with prune and dark berry fruits. B/B-

2004 Norton Malbec Reserva
Very oaky, a vanilla milkshake poured on top of a bowl of blueberries.
Yuckety yuck. Not my style at all, though it appealed to others. C+

Later we moved to the dinner party, with a great spread including ham,
roasted vegetables, pasta, and more, with wines that included

2005 Babich Sauvignon Blanc
Clean citrus and gooseberry fruit, a little capiscum edge, crisp and
lively, a good Marlborough. B/B+

2004 Dutour "La Roche" Pouilly-Fuisse
I had some from an almost emptied bottle, whoa, corked city. I didn't
think it would serve a purpose to point out , as others seemed to have
enjoyed.
I discreetly found a sink, later I tried from a newly opened bottle.
This was a decent Chardonnay, sweet pear/apple fruit, some vanilla oak
notes, ripe and fat. OK if not great. B

2004 Finnegan's Lake "Fin" Cabernet Sauvignon
Sweet ripe red fruit, faceless and bland. Red plum fruit, oakchippy
flavors, dog on label is probably my favorite thing about this one. C

2004 Giovanni Rosso Dolcetto
Medium tannins, low acidity, heavy blueberry & blackberry fruit. Good
length, nice Dolcetto (though it's not really my favorite varietal). B

We flew to Atlanta early Christmas Day. Not wanting to depend upon my
dad (a great guy, but likes one glass of Taylor Lake Country Red with
an ice cube with dinner), I had wanted to carry along a couple bottles.
I felt more like Pinot/Burg, but was worried the more delicate examples
would be subject to travel shock. I decided to go with a sturdier Burg,
the 2000 Bonneau du Martray Corton. Very tight at first and seemed to
have a bitter note, but that faded. Some woodsmoke and spicy oak, , the
big black cherry fruit that emerged had a nice texture and mouthfeel.
Still some tannins, this is one 2000 that could use some more time, but
I liked. Good acidity, medium-bodied wine that dealt well with a
variety of Southern holiday food- turkey, ham, creamed corn, okra,
turnips, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc etc etc. B+/a-

Good to be with friends and family over Christmas!

PS A side story: I thought the glazed carrots tasted funny, but every
thing else was good, until I found a salad to have off aromas- I
realized I thought the salad was corked! Laughed at myself, then today
Betsy made another salad to go along with some leftovers for lunch, and
put discovered the carrots had a distinctive TCA smell. Whodathunk?

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
[snipped Dale's excellent TNs]

> PS A side story: I thought the glazed carrots tasted funny, but every
> thing else was good, until I found a salad to have off aromas- I
> realized I thought the salad was corked! Laughed at myself, then today
> Betsy made another salad to go along with some leftovers for lunch, and
> put discovered the carrots had a distinctive TCA smell. Whodathunk?

Carrots must have been stored in a musty cellar/closet/pantry ... I
hope it wasn't also the wine cellar!

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2004 Borsao Tres Picos Garnacha
> Very popular with others, I found this overripe. I've consistently
> preferred the cheaper Borsao regular bottling. This was a bit raisiny,
> with prune and dark berry fruits. B/B-

We seem to be opening very similar wines of late, Dale. I passed on the
Tres Picos, but picked up the regular issue Borsao '04 here in FL. I'll
post notes on it when we open it.

> 2005 Babich Sauvignon Blanc
> Clean citrus and gooseberry fruit, a little capiscum edge, crisp and
> lively, a good Marlborough. B/B+

This was another of our Xmas party whites. I got grapefruit and sweat.
Very crisp and lively, as you said.
I felt more like Pinot/Burg, but was worried the more delicate examples
> would be subject to travel shock. I decided to go with a sturdier Burg,
> the 2000 Bonneau du Martray Corton.

Re the travel angle: I always try to bring very young wines when
traveling long distances to minimize the chance of its having thrown any
sediment. (The one exception was bring an '90 CdP to Bill Spohn's in
'03, and it didn't show very well at all). I've also got to track down
some BdM to try...

> Good to be with friends and family over Christmas!

Indeed. My non-wine geek inlaws have enjoyed some fine wines with us
this Xmas and we've greatly enjoyed their company and hospitality. (not
least of which since Andrew's going to spend 2 days with his
grandparents while Jean and I mosey down to the Everglades for a quick
vacation.)

> PS A side story: I thought the glazed carrots tasted funny, but every
> thing else was good, until I found a salad to have off aromas- I
> realized I thought the salad was corked! Laughed at myself, then today
> Betsy made another salad to go along with some leftovers for lunch, and
> put discovered the carrots had a distinctive TCA smell. Whodathunk?

Hmmm... TCA from cardboard boxes, perhaps? Maybe that's why we
associate TCA's smell with cardboard?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote:

> PS A side story: I thought the glazed carrots tasted funny, but
> every thing else was good, until I found a salad to have off
> aromas- I realized I thought the salad was corked! Laughed at
> myself, then today Betsy made another salad to go along with
> some leftovers for lunch, and put discovered the carrots had a
> distinctive TCA smell. Whodathunk?

I have had distinct TCA flavors in dishes twice. Once a lemon
slice (in a restaurant) had just about the loudest TCA taint in
my life (ruined the whole plate, fillet of lamb in bread crust),
and just a few says ago, at lunch with my first wife (who lives
one storey up), in a ragout type of dish.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Actually I searched "corked carrots" and came up with several
references to the bagged carrots occasionally having tca aromas!
Best wishes for 2007,
Dale

AyTee wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> [snipped Dale's excellent TNs]
>

> > PS A side story: I thought the glazed carrots tasted funny, but every
> > thing else was good, until I found a salad to have off aromas- I
> > realized I thought the salad was corked! Laughed at myself, then today
> > Betsy made another salad to go along with some leftovers for lunch, and
> > put discovered the carrots had a distinctive TCA smell. Whodathunk?

> Carrots must have been stored in a musty cellar/closet/pantry ... I
> hope it wasn't also the wine cellar!

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Re the travel angle: I always try to bring very young wines when
> traveling long distances to minimize the chance of its having thrown any
> sediment. (The one exception was bring an '90 CdP to Bill Spohn's in
> '03, and it didn't show very well at all). I've also got to track down
> some BdM to try...

I was trying to find something sturdy, early maturing, yet PN. This did
well.
But in general for Bonneau du Martray the Corton-Charlemagne is the
star, not the red (can one think of any other producer that only makes
2 wines, both Grand Cru, as far as I know?). Though prices are catching
up, for years it was best deal in GC white Burg imho.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 26 Dec 2006 12:22:53 -0800, "DaleW" > wrote:

>PS A side story: I thought the glazed carrots tasted funny, but every
>thing else was good, until I found a salad to have off aromas- I
>realized I thought the salad was corked! Laughed at myself, then today
>Betsy made another salad to go along with some leftovers for lunch, and
>put discovered the carrots had a distinctive TCA smell. Whodathunk?

Might have been the starter culture for some Long Island carrot wine?

My Christmas dinner was exceptional. Starters during the Dallas
Cowboys drubbing were a Gorgonzola Dulce and cranberry relish
bruschetta and a smoked salmon and guacamole on rye toast with an
Absolut vodka martini--stirred, not shaken.

When the game's outcome was assured, we sat to dinner which was an
incredible center cut, prime filet mignon with shrimp etouffe and
haricot verts. The wine was 1995 Ridge Monte Bello and I am happy to
report it is magnificent. Dark, bluish purple color. Big rich nose of
black cherry, spice and a hint of leather. Wonderful blast of black
fruits in the mouth and an unctuous, warm finish.

I'd love to have a case of this for the next twenty years, but alas it
is not to be. Made me giggle softly when I mentioned that a month ago
at Del Frisco's Steakhouse in Dallas I saw the '97 MB on the menu for
$450! They're quite proud of their wines and I mention when JR comes
to town from South Fork he sips them on the rocks....

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Is very pleasing to see you enjoyed the New Zealand Marlborough Wine..
:-)
Is a very good drop.. and worth the BB+ you rated it.

> [...]

>I liked. Good acidity, medium-bodied wine that dealt well with a
>variety of Southern holiday food- turkey, ham, creamed corn, okra,
>turnips, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc etc etc. B+/a-
>
>Good to be with friends and family over Christmas!
>
>PS A side story: I thought the glazed carrots tasted funny, but every
>thing else was good, until I found a salad to have off aromas- I
>realized I thought the salad was corked! Laughed at myself, then today
>Betsy made another salad to go along with some leftovers for lunch, and
>put discovered the carrots had a distinctive TCA smell. Whodathunk?
>
>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
>wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
>drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
>promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

TN: Christmas Eve (7 Fishes) and Christmas Day wines DaleW Wine 1 27-12-2012 11:02 PM
Christmas wines jcoulter Wine 4 27-12-2012 06:14 PM
Christmas Eve and Day wines DaleW Wine 1 27-12-2011 09:05 PM
Christmas wines Bi!! Wine 3 01-01-2011 10:04 PM
TN: Two Christmas wines DPM Wine 7 11-01-2006 05:25 PM