Old 26-12-2012, 01:36 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Christmas wines

Christmas eve is chicken enchilada time for us so match wise neve the
best, so I just decided to go for something I like but normally wouldn't
have so
2003 Ribera de Duero reserva from de Restia a full rich temparnillo that
went well actually great night.
Christmas day, I finally got the OK for pinot for Christmas and thought
that the best way I could do it was with
Chalone the estate bottling. we had a 2004 and a 2007. The 2004 was a
closeout so always a bit of a worry is it over the hill? The short
answer, NO. the 2004 was richer, smoother and perfectly suited for
drinking. The 07 was comparatively green with a hint of sourness in the
finish. To be honest I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been in
comparison, but it was there.

Value wise the Ribera was a steal at $18-$19 (IIRC may have been a tad
less definitely not more) while the Chalone at 30 and 35 respectively
was a bit pricy. The Spanish red keep on keeping on.

And speaking of Spanish. my best Christmas present (we don't really do
givts so much anymore) was a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza Brandy de Jerez
Solers Gran Reserva from Romate. this brandy is smooth but the really
nice thing is that the underlying wine is evident - in the finish you
can taste the Sherry and it is velvety smooth to boot. . .

Old 26-12-2012, 02:36 PM posted to alt.food.wine

jcoulter wrote in news:[email protected]
email.me:

Christmas eve...

We drank our only bottle of Wind Gap Pinot Noir Woodruff Vineyard 2008 on
Christmas Eve, to go with a veal roll (stuffed with dried apricots, plums,
etc). Very, very good, and totally opposed to my idea of a California Pinot
Noir, because it was bone dry, only 12,3% alc, with a very low colour and
really spicy on the nose. An excellent and very interesting wine that I was
very happy to put on the table on such a night. Only 440 bottles produced

Christmas day...

For us, it was La Rioja Alta 904 Gran Reserva 1978 which I double decanted
at home before going to my in-laws. Very bright colour, with a lot of old
church notes, incense and excellent balance in the mouth. No fruit, and I
think I would rather drink such a wine 10 years earlier.

And speaking of Spanish. my best Christmas present (we don't really do
givts so much anymore) was a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza Brandy de Jerez
Solers Gran Reserva from Romate. this brandy is smooth but the really
nice thing is that the underlying wine is evident - in the finish you
can taste the Sherry and it is velvety smooth to boot. . .

Brandy de Jerez should be about the aging in old Sherry casks (typically
Oloroso). Some people love it, some people hate it.

I am glad you are drinking to help the Spanish Balance of Payments!!!

s.

Old 26-12-2012, 05:39 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:36:42 AM UTC-7, jcoulter wrote:
[...]

For us chicken enchiladas mean good margaritas, rarely wine.
Old 27-12-2012, 06:14 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:36:49 AM UTC-5, santiago wrote:
[...]

Wind Gap sounds lovely.
Thanks to both of you for notes

TN: Christmas Eve (7 Fishes) and Christmas Day wines DaleW Wine 1 27-12-2012 11:02 PM
Christmas Eve and Day wines DaleW Wine 1 27-12-2011 09:05 PM
Christmas wines Bi!! Wine 3 01-01-2011 10:04 PM
TN: wines on Christmas eve and day DaleW Wine 7 30-12-2006 04:20 AM
TN: Two Christmas wines DPM Wine 7 11-01-2006 05:25 PM