Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Christmas wines

Christmas eve is chicken enchilada time for us so match wise neve the
best, so I just decided to go for something I like but normally wouldn't
have so
2003 Ribera de Duero reserva from de Restia a full rich temparnillo that
went well actually great night.
Christmas day, I finally got the OK for pinot for Christmas and thought
that the best way I could do it was with
Chalone the estate bottling. we had a 2004 and a 2007. The 2004 was a
closeout so always a bit of a worry is it over the hill? The short
answer, NO. the 2004 was richer, smoother and perfectly suited for
drinking. The 07 was comparatively green with a hint of sourness in the
finish. To be honest I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been in
comparison, but it was there.

Value wise the Ribera was a steal at $18-$19 (IIRC may have been a tad
less definitely not more) while the Chalone at 30 and 35 respectively
was a bit pricy. The Spanish red keep on keeping on.

And speaking of Spanish. my best Christmas present (we don't really do
givts so much anymore) was a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza Brandy de Jerez
Solers Gran Reserva from Romate. this brandy is smooth but the really
nice thing is that the underlying wine is evident - in the finish you
can taste the Sherry and it is velvety smooth to boot. . .
Posted to alt.food.wine

jcoulter > wrote in news:kbeub7$g29$1@dont-
email.me:

> Christmas eve...

We drank our only bottle of Wind Gap Pinot Noir Woodruff Vineyard 2008 on
Christmas Eve, to go with a veal roll (stuffed with dried apricots, plums,
etc). Very, very good, and totally opposed to my idea of a California Pinot
Noir, because it was bone dry, only 12,3% alc, with a very low colour and
really spicy on the nose. An excellent and very interesting wine that I was
very happy to put on the table on such a night. Only 440 bottles produced

> Christmas day...

For us, it was La Rioja Alta 904 Gran Reserva 1978 which I double decanted
at home before going to my in-laws. Very bright colour, with a lot of old
church notes, incense and excellent balance in the mouth. No fruit, and I
think I would rather drink such a wine 10 years earlier.

> And speaking of Spanish. my best Christmas present (we don't really do
> givts so much anymore) was a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza Brandy de Jerez
> Solers Gran Reserva from Romate. this brandy is smooth but the really
> nice thing is that the underlying wine is evident - in the finish you
> can taste the Sherry and it is velvety smooth to boot. . .

Brandy de Jerez should be about the aging in old Sherry casks (typically
Oloroso). Some people love it, some people hate it.

I am glad you are drinking to help the Spanish Balance of Payments!!!

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/26/2012 9:36 AM, santiago wrote:
> jcoulter > wrote in news:kbeub7$g29$1@dont-
> email.me:
>

> Brandy de Jerez should be about the aging in old Sherry casks (typically
> Oloroso). Some people love it, some people hate it.
>
> I am glad you are drinking to help the Spanish Balance of Payments!!!
>
> s.

El gusto es mio
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:36:42 AM UTC-7, jcoulter wrote:
> Christmas eve is chicken enchilada time for us so match wise neve the
>
> best, so I just decided to go for something I like but normally wouldn't
>
> have so
>
> 2003 Ribera de Duero reserva from de Restia a full rich temparnillo that
>
> went well actually great night.
>
> Christmas day, I finally got the OK for pinot for Christmas and thought
>
> that the best way I could do it was with
>
> Chalone the estate bottling. we had a 2004 and a 2007. The 2004 was a
>
> closeout so always a bit of a worry is it over the hill? The short
>
> answer, NO. the 2004 was richer, smoother and perfectly suited for
>
> drinking. The 07 was comparatively green with a hint of sourness in the
>
> finish. To be honest I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been in
>
> comparison, but it was there.
>

> Value wise the Ribera was a steal at $18-$19 (IIRC may have been a tad
>
> less definitely not more) while the Chalone at 30 and 35 respectively
>
> was a bit pricy. The Spanish red keep on keeping on.
>

> And speaking of Spanish. my best Christmas present (we don't really do
>
> givts so much anymore) was a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza Brandy de Jerez
>
> Solers Gran Reserva from Romate. this brandy is smooth but the really
>
> nice thing is that the underlying wine is evident - in the finish you
>
> can taste the Sherry and it is velvety smooth to boot. . .

For us chicken enchiladas mean good margaritas, rarely wine.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:36:49 AM UTC-5, santiago wrote:
> jcoulter > wrote in news:kbeub7$g29$1@dont-
>
> email.me:
>

> > Christmas eve...

> We drank our only bottle of Wind Gap Pinot Noir Woodruff Vineyard 2008 on
>
> Christmas Eve, to go with a veal roll (stuffed with dried apricots, plums,
>
> etc). Very, very good, and totally opposed to my idea of a California Pinot
>
> Noir, because it was bone dry, only 12,3% alc, with a very low colour and
>
> really spicy on the nose. An excellent and very interesting wine that I was
>
> very happy to put on the table on such a night. Only 440 bottles produced
>

> > Christmas day...

> For us, it was La Rioja Alta 904 Gran Reserva 1978 which I double decanted
>
> at home before going to my in-laws. Very bright colour, with a lot of old
>
> church notes, incense and excellent balance in the mouth. No fruit, and I
>
> think I would rather drink such a wine 10 years earlier.
>

> > And speaking of Spanish. my best Christmas present (we don't really do

> > givts so much anymore) was a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza Brandy de Jerez

> > Solers Gran Reserva from Romate. this brandy is smooth but the really

> > nice thing is that the underlying wine is evident - in the finish you

> > can taste the Sherry and it is velvety smooth to boot. . .

> Brandy de Jerez should be about the aging in old Sherry casks (typically
>
> Oloroso). Some people love it, some people hate it.
>

> I am glad you are drinking to help the Spanish Balance of Payments!!!
>

> s.

Wind Gap sounds lovely.
Thanks to both of you for notes

TN: Christmas Eve (7 Fishes) and Christmas Day wines DaleW Wine 1 27-12-2012 11:02 PM
Christmas Eve and Day wines DaleW Wine 1 27-12-2011 09:05 PM
Christmas wines Bi!! Wine 3 01-01-2011 10:04 PM
TN: wines on Christmas eve and day DaleW Wine 7 30-12-2006 04:20 AM
TN: Two Christmas wines DPM Wine 7 11-01-2006 05:25 PM