jw 1111

Default peanut butter a healthy option for toast?

Hi, i seem to remember a while ago reading all sorts of thing about peanuts
not being good for you for instance containing saturated fats and stuff. but
somebody recently told me that it was the red skins that were not good. so
they thought peanut butter was quite healthy since these skins were removed.
could anyone explain to a novice if this is the case please, i.e. is
anything not so healthy about peanut butter? thanks,
Richard Crowley

"jw 1111" wrote ...
> Hi, i seem to remember a while ago reading all sorts
> of thing about peanuts not being good for you for instance
> containing saturated fats and stuff. but somebody recently
> told me that it was the red skins that were not good. so
> they thought peanut butter was quite healthy since these
> skins were removed. could anyone explain to a novice
> if this is the case please, i.e. is anything not so healthy
> about peanut butter? thanks,

I have substituted fresh-ground almond butter from my
local market. Mmmmm marvelous.

"Almond butter is more nutrient-dense than peanut butter.
It contains half the amount of saturated fat, less salt (usually),
and eight times as much calcium...."
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T043600.asp
Viviane

jw 1111 wrote:
> Hi, i seem to remember a while ago reading all sorts of thing about peanuts
> not being good for you for instance containing saturated fats and stuff. but
> somebody recently told me that it was the red skins that were not good. so
> they thought peanut butter was quite healthy since these skins were removed.
> could anyone explain to a novice if this is the case please, i.e. is
> anything not so healthy about peanut butter? thanks,

I'm not a dietician, but from what I've read, it's not the skins that
are unhealthy but the trans fats that are added to the peanut butter to
make it uniformly creamy. You need to buy natural peanut butter, which
is peanuts only. The inconvenient part is that you have to mix it every
time you use it because the natural oils from the peanuts end up
floating on top, but these are the fats that are good for you.

Viviane
John Manning

In article .com>,
Viviane > wrote:

> you have to mix it every
> time you use it because the natural oils from the peanuts end up
> floating on top

Store it in the fridge and it won't separate after the initial mixing.

--
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>but these are the fats that are good for you.

Oops, I didn't realise that. I've always avoided the oil on the
top when it seperates.

--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/

Viviane

John Manning wrote:
> In article .com>,
> Viviane > wrote:
>
> > you have to mix it every
> > time you use it because the natural oils from the peanuts end up
> > floating on top

> Store it in the fridge and it won't separate after the initial mixing.

Thanks for the tip, John.

Viviane