jw 1111

Default substantial toast for a novice

hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
eating meat.

can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
substantial meal please? many thanks
Viviane

jw 1111 asks:
can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
substantial meal please? many thanks

Welcome to the club! My favorite for a breakfast toast is natural
peanut butter (peanuts only, no sugar or other stuff added) topped with
slices of banana or any other fresh fruit I have on hand.

Cheers,

Viviane
Steve

jw 1111 wrote:
> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
> eating meat.
>
> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
> substantial meal please? many thanks

Hummus,
a bean spread,
almond butter,
peanut butter,
fruit preserves,
any number of dips,
babaganou,
scrambled tofu

Try

veganchef.com

cok.net has a vegetarian starter guide and beginer recipies on their
site. So does veganoutreach.org

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
No One

Cheese. Toast bread melt cheese in the toaster oven or oven, micro will be a
bit different. and do until the cheese starts to get slightly golden. Mom
did it many times when I was growing up as did Aunts to feed a bunch for
breakfast.
"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
> eating meat.
>
> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
> substantial meal please? many thanks

D.E.

"jw 1111" > schreef in bericht
> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
> eating meat.

Hmm what is the book about? I don`t know it?

> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
> substantial meal please? many thanks

Hmm what do most people on their bread? Not just meat.
Peanutbutter and jelly springs to mind, or just peanutbutter.
Cheese, veggies, I don`t know.

Kindrick Ownby

jw 1111 wrote:
> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
> eating meat.
>
> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
> substantial meal please? many thanks

There are several meat analogs available in Health Food stores, and
in many super markets as well.

Kindrick
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>Cheese. Toast bread melt cheese in the toaster oven or oven, micro will be a
>bit different.

Actually, my little brother and I used to almost live off microwaved cheese
sandwiches. Not the same as toast, no, but /very/ nice. Not for those who
like their toast crispy, but for those of us who like a bit of soggyness in
their food (I'm a big fan of microwaved pastry, too - my mum thinks I'm a bit
odd :-) you want 2 slices of bread, a single layer of cheese (I find the bread
is best folded over rather than layered and sliced) and nuke for 30s.

Also, toasted cheese sandwiches are nice. Or toasted bean sandwiches if you
are vegan. Or creamed mushroom. Or if you have a good supplier of the quorn
deli counter stuff, quorn wafer-thin-ham and cheese is nice.

--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/
jw 1111

"D.E." > wrote in message

> "jw 1111" > schreef in bericht
>> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
>> eating meat.

> Hmm what is the book about? I don`t know it?
>
>> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
>> substantial meal please? many thanks

> Hmm what do most people on their bread? Not just meat.
> Peanutbutter and jelly springs to mind, or just peanutbutter.
> Cheese, veggies, I don`t know.

a bit of an idea about this book can be got from the amazon website.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1932...55#reader-page
The China Study : The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted
and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health
(Hardcover)
by T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II "THE PUBLIC'S HUNGER for
nutrition information never ceases to amaze me, even after devoting my
entire working life to conducting experimental research into nutrition
and..." (more)
SIPs: aflatoxin dose, casein animals, animal protein consumption, with blood
cholesterol, foci development (more)
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

jw 1111 wrote:

> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
> eating meat.
>
> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
> substantial meal please? many thanks

cheese, vegetables, mushroom, pickles, especially when cooked together
in a sandwich maker. Fried egg is nice too, perhaps with some
horseraddish (if you can get hold of it try freshly grated one: *that*
makes the hairs grow on your chest ;-)). Roast mixed vegetables,
sprinkled with olive oil (can be served cold as well). Even better when
you can get proper bread: soft inside, crunchy outside and with high rye
content, spiced with caraway, anis and coriander seed. That's what I
miss most when I am abroad.

Or make french toast (fried after soaking in milk/egg/cinamon) with jam,
fruit, or honey.
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>Also, toasted cheese sandwiches are nice. Or toasted bean sandwiches if you
>are vegan. Or creamed mushroom. Or if you have a good supplier of the quorn
>deli counter stuff, quorn wafer-thin-ham and cheese is nice.

Forgot my favourite toasted cheese sandwich filling!
Mozarella and pesto (or ripped basil leaves). With or without sliced
tomato, if you like it (which I don't, but apparently they go well
together)
--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/

D.E.

<Mod edit>
>> "jw 1111" > schreef .
>>> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
>>> eating meat.

>> Hmm what is the book about? I don`t know it?

> a bit of an idea about this book can be got from the amazon website.
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1932...55#reader-page
> The China Study : The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted
> and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health

Ah okay thank you, I do a healthcheck every year, and even when I am
overweight my blood levels etc (cholesterol you know the drill ;o) )
are all okay, so I think I keep being a vegetarian ;o)
D.E.

"Vicky Conlan" > schreef in bericht
> According to >:
>>Cheese. Toast bread melt cheese in the toaster oven or oven, micro will be
>>bit different.

> Actually, my little brother and I used to almost live off microwaved
> cheese
> sandwiches. Not the same as toast, no, but /very/ nice. Not for those
> who
> like their toast crispy, but for those of us who like a bit of soggyness
> in
> their food (I'm a big fan of microwaved pastry, too - my mum thinks I'm a
> bit
> odd :-) you want 2 slices of bread, a single layer of cheese (I find the
> bread
> is best folded over rather than layered and sliced) and nuke for 30s.
>
> Also, toasted cheese sandwiches are nice. Or toasted bean sandwiches if
> you
> are vegan. Or creamed mushroom. Or if you have a good supplier of the
> quorn
> deli counter stuff, quorn wafer-thin-ham and cheese is nice.

I toast the bread first, twoslices at once in the toaster, so the middle
stays
soft while the outside gets toasted, (yes I have one of those wide toasters)
So on the softsides I place the cheese and then I nuke em, about 30 secs.

> Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/

D.E.

>> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
>> substantial meal please? many thanks

> cheese, vegetables, mushroom, pickles, especially when cooked together
> in a sandwich maker. Fried egg is nice too, perhaps with some
> horseraddish ...
>
> Or make french toast (fried after soaking in milk/egg/cinamon) with jam,
> fruit, or honey.

Hmmm that is a long time ago I had one of those.
Jude

i love cream cheese and avocado sandwiches

i make homemade veggie cream cheese by mixing finely minced parsley,
mushrooms, carrots, green or red peppers, and green olives into cream
cheese

egg salad with dill and black olives go well on toast

or you can go fancy: roasted red peppers with havarti cheese, sliced
apples and brie with slivered almonds, goat cheese and sun dried
tomatoes with pesto, sliced bosc pears and smoked gouda cheese with
honey mustard. these all can be eaten cold or heated.

make tzatziki by mixing grated cucmbers into plain yogurt along with
some minced garlic, slt and pepper, spread it on thick rolls or in
wraps with feta cheese, red peppers, lettuce and tomatoes

grilled marinated portobellos often replace meat on a sandwich or
burger as well.
jw 1111

"D.E." > wrote in message

> "Vicky Conlan" > schreef
>>>Cheese. Toast bread melt cheese in the toaster oven or oven, micro will
>>>be a bit different.

>> <MOD snip>

> I toast the bread first, ... So on the softsides I place the cheese
> and then I nuke em, about 30 secs.

thanks to all. when you say, nuke em, about 30 secs. would that be in the
microwave or sandwich toaster ?

Viviane

Jude wrote:
> i love cream cheese and avocado sandwiches

I invented my own version of this. Spread cream cheese on pita bread.
In the center, put half an avocado, sliced, and add one slice of onion,
chopped, and a handful of sliced black olives. Fold and eat like a
wrap. Delicious!

Viviane
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>>> <MOD snip>

>> I toast the bread first, ... So on the softsides I place the cheese
>> and then I nuke em, about 30 secs.

>thanks to all. when you say, nuke em, about 30 secs. would that be in the
>microwave or sandwich toaster ?

Nuke would be microwave. Quick sharp burst of radiation to make
the cheese go soggy. Yum. :-)
--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Eat your toast dry! It tastes good!

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> hi, have just read a book 'the china study' and its made me want to stop
> eating meat.
>
> can you please advise a novice what to easily put on my toast to make a
> substantial meal please? many thanks

Port Wine Question - Substantial Differences? [email protected] Wine 6 12-02-2008 04:19 AM
Tea novice [email protected] Tea 12 06-12-2006 04:44 PM
help for novice Paul Winemaking 5 09-11-2006 12:23 AM
Risotto novice biig General Cooking 23 17-12-2005 07:51 PM
roasting a whole pig (for a novice) Beth Cole Barbecue 6 16-05-2004 04:59 AM