M31

Default Is there any hope for me?

Hey guys,

["I crave meat" hyperbole removed]

I want to be a vegetarian. I don't
want to kill any more animals for my food, and I want to stop eating
all of the fat, cholesterol, and extra protein that you get eating
them.

I've heard that after being on a vegetarian diet for a while, you no
longer crave meat, and the idea of eating meat becomes gross.
I would love to acheive that state of mind.

I seriously need some good recipes, because the only vegetarian thing I
know how to make is salad (lol). So, I've been lurking around here and
I've been getting a lot of good ideas. Thanks, guys.

So wish me luck. I guess my question right now is, how many of you were
once serious carnivours like me, but have been successful in
conditioning yourself to dislike meat?

Thanks
serene

M31 > wrote:

> So wish me luck. I guess my question right now is, how many of you were
> once serious carnivours like me, but have been successful in
> conditioning yourself to dislike meat?

I was a vegetarian for 20 years and never developed a dislike (or an
"ewwww" reaction) for meat. Why bother? We have a choice in what to
eat, and we can choose veggies even if we still like other choices.

serene
Bob Smith

I was like you, a very big meat eater (twice a day). You just have to get
into the habit of not eating meat, and it becomes natural. Asian
(particularly Indian) food is great for vegetarians, and you can use things
like chick peas, beans and pulses (all surprisingly nice!) to replace the
protein from meat. I'm not a vegetarian but now I only eat meat once or
twice a week, and then it seems like more of a treat.

Also remember that by not eating meat you are probably doing the most
productive thing that an individual can do for the environment (think of the
rearing, transportation and storage costs to the env.).

By the way, I wouldn't say I crave meat, but I still enjoy eating it (sorry
if that offends others here!). But then, I've only reduced my meat intake in
the last few months so that might well change.

I also do yoga and meditation, both of which get you much more in touch with
your body. You start to really notice the effects when you have certain
types of foods (and alcohol!). Apparently it's common for people who do yoga
a for number of years to stop eating meat (naturally) as well.

Hope this helps!

"M31" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hey guys,
>
> ["I crave meat" hyperbole removed]

C. James Strutz

"M31" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hey guys,
>
> ["I crave meat" hyperbole removed]
>
> I want to be a vegetarian. I don't
> want to kill any more animals for my food, and I want to stop eating
> all of the fat, cholesterol, and extra protein that you get eating
> them.

There are some common misconceptions about being vegetarian. Among the most
common is that being vegetarian saves all animal lives. Animals will die to
put food on your table whether you are vegetarian or not - even if you are
vegan. It's unavoidable unless you go to extreme measures that are not
usually practical in today's culture. You might save the lives of some
animals: cows, chickens, turkeys, fish, pigs, etc., but other animals will
die as a result of agricultural practices, transportation, packaging,
warehousing, and for many other reasons. Most people don't think about the
other animal casualties because they aren't featured in a meal.

There are other good reasons to be vegetarian. One of the other responders
wrote that it is more ecologically responsible. I agree with that. And I
agree that a vegetarian diet CAN BE healthier for us. But understand that
there's much more to having a healthy diet than being vegetarian.

> I've heard that after being on a vegetarian diet for a while, you no
> longer crave meat, and the idea of eating meat becomes gross.
> I would love to acheive that state of mind.

You know, it's not that you no longer crave meat but more that you develop a
mentality that meat doesn't have to be the centerpiece of a meal. I think a
lot of new vegetarians don't know what to do with that space on their plate
where the meat used to be. They often attempt to employ meat analogs like
veggie burgers, veggie dogs, seitan, and others. Comparisons are almost
always bad because meat analogs are NOT meat and you will be disappointed it
you expect it to be. Instead, enjoy things like veggie burgers and soy milk
for the fine foods that they are in their own right. Learn how to use
legumes, grains, vegetables, fruits, etc. in new ways that are enjoyable and
satisfying to you.

After awhile, you will learn how to read labels, about nutrition, how to
combine foods, how to listen to your body's food needs, new ways of doing
things, ask the right questions, and how to prepare your old favorites
without using meat. It becomes a new lifestyle which is enjoyable,
responsible, and healthier. You won't miss meat the least bit.

> I seriously need some good recipes, because the only vegetarian thing I
> know how to make is salad (lol). So, I've been lurking around here and
> I've been getting a lot of good ideas. Thanks, guys.

The internet is a great resource for vegetarian recipes, as are cookbooks.
But don't be afraid to use your imagination. After all, food preparation and
presentation is a fine art. Make food appeal to your senses - all of them.

> So wish me luck. I guess my question right now is, how many of you were
> once serious carnivours like me, but have been successful in
> conditioning yourself to dislike meat?

Forget about consiously "conditioning yourself". It's a lifestyle change.
Just make the commitment to go vegetarian if that's what you want to do and
don't look back. Read magazines, read books, talk to people, and think for
yourself.

Good luck.
rmg

Congrats and good luck.

One small point regarding cholestorol, if you heat veggie oil to smoking you
are creating a trans fat. Don't be fooled thinking you're avoiding the most
harmful type of cholestorol inducing fats just because you are on a
meat-free diet. Use oils with a high smoking point (pure olive and peanut).

"M31" > wrote in message
ups.com...

<mod snip>

> I want to be a vegetarian. ....
> I seriously need some good recipes, because the only vegetarian thing I
> know how to make is salad (lol). So, I've been lurking around here and
> I've been getting a lot of good ideas. Thanks, guys.

<mod snip>

Don Quinoa

http://www.vegan-cookbook.com
http://www.recipes.for-vegans.co.uk

> So wish me luck.

Good luck

>I guess my question right now is, how many of you were
> once serious carnivours like me, but have been successful in
> conditioning yourself to dislike meat?

[ moderator warning - skip next paragraph if meat-squeamish! ;-) ]

I grew up in a London Delicatessen with all kinds of home cooked meat,
pates, salami etc. I used to turn a side (half of one)of pig into
joints of bacon and rashers in less than half an hour.

Now I'm vegan - I think I still like the taste of meat, I say "I think"
because I've not eaten it for 15 years, but I've found lots of
delicious alternatives to eat that don't involve the unnecessary
suffering of animals, destruction to our environment and undermine
optimum health.

I don't think it's disgusting I think it's unnecessary - having said
that the smell of a butchers' shop now makes me heave.

I'm married to a London Nutritionist who makes sure I am adequately
nourished but it's not difficult even without the diet police looking
over my shoulder.

Tony - http://foodsforlife.org.uk & http://news.for-vegans.co.uk
Me

Interesting to see this post. My husband and I were talking of this
recently. I became a vegetarian about a year ago. Wanted to long before that
but didn't because he was adamant that he wanted meat and I thought it would
be too much trouble to cook two meals.

After serving him up his favorite about a year ago, a baked ham, I said
that's it. I went vegetarian. I started cooking things like veggie lasagna
which he loved. I continued to make him things like pork chops, hamburgers,
roasts, but had my own meals. Gradually I started feeding him more an more
of the things I ate, maccoronie and cheese and black or red beans, veggie
casseroles, chili made with fake hamburger (veggie crumbles) etc. He thought
the chili, spagetti sauces and evrything else that I used the veggie
crumbles in was far better than the real thing (ground beef).

After a few months of this, I made him some pork chops, the way he always
loved them. He ate them but didn't enjoy them and told me not to make them
anymore because he'd lost his taste for them.

Then the other day, made him a baked ham. He ate a couple of bites and
couldn't stand it. The doggies are now getting a little each night so that
it's not a total waste.

The only meat that he hasn't yet turned away from are hotdogs. He can no
longer stand all the other things and it looks like the doggies are going to
get the frozen steaks as well.

Oh, I made stuffed green bell peppers the other day same way I used to make
them with the hamburger. He LOVED them. Said they were better with the
veggie crumbles than they used to be with the hamburger.

Me

[quoting removed - Gedge, moderator]
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>Use oils with a high smoking point (pure olive and peanut).

I thought olive oil had a low smoking point, or is that altered by
it being more 'virgin'? (Not that it really matters to me, as I am
not a big fan of olives, and can't abide olive oil, unfortunately)

--
UK Competitions and slogans: http://sig.comps.org/
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>I've heard that after being on a vegetarian diet for a while, you no
>longer crave meat, and the idea of eating meat becomes gross.
>I would love to acheive that state of mind.

You think you've got problems? I've been vegetarian for around 17 years
now (more than half my life), and I was fine when I was pregnant with my
now-18-month-old baby, but I'm currently pregnant again, and I'm /really/
craving meat. I've not given in to it yet, but sometimes it does get a
bit overpowering.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice to offer up, would be much
appreciated.

--
UK Competitions and slogans: http://sig.comps.org/
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Vicky Conlan wrote:

> but I'm currently pregnant again, and I'm /really/
> craving meat. I've not given in to it yet, but sometimes it does get a
> bit overpowering.

Developing an appetite for certain foodstuffs, often in unusual
combination like the famous pickles with whipped cream, is a typical
side effect of pregnancy, especially during the 4th to 7th month of
gestation. Sometimes this even includes craving (pica) for non-food
stuff like soil. Unless harmful such urges can simply be humored, they
may be reduced by frequent small snacks with high-fibre food and plenty
of water. In some cases, iron supplementation can also help, but that
should be discussed with your physician.

Stacy

I once heard my mother talk of a woman who craved red clay and actually ate
it!

"Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" > wrote in message
| Sometimes this even includes craving (pica) for non-food
| stuff like soil. Unless harmful such urges can simply be humored, they
| may be reduced by frequent small snacks with high-fibre food and plenty
| of water. In some cases, iron supplementation can also help, but that
| should be discussed with your physician.
rmg

"Vicky Conlan" > wrote in message
> According to >:
> >Use oils with a high smoking point (pure olive and peanut).

> I thought olive oil had a low smoking point, or is that altered by
> it being more 'virgin'? (Not that it really matters to me, as I am
> not a big fan of olives, and can't abide olive oil, unfortunately)

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=50

This page has a nice chart with the smoking points of oils. There are other
links which have charts containing the amount of saturated fat in oils...
sorry I don't have more time for googling right now. Cheers
D.E.

"Stacy" > schreef in bericht
>I once heard my mother talk of a woman who craved red clay and actually ate
> it!

Who knows what minerals are in there?
I have heard once somewhere (yes not a strong basis ;o) )
on tv where peole ate "dirt" and that actually saved them
for that "dirt" contained what they were lacking in their diet.
So who knows?
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Stacy wrote:

> I once heard my mother talk of a woman who craved red clay and actually ate
> it!

Yes, not that unusual.
Stacy

This is not unusual? Are you talking of some remote people in third world
countries? Why do people eat red clay?

"Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" > wrote in message
| Stacy wrote:
|
| > I once heard my mother talk of a woman who craved red clay and actually
ate
| > it!
|
| Yes, not that unusual.

Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>This is not unusual? Are you talking of some remote people in third world
>countries? Why do people eat red clay?

The original comment was about cravings during pregnancy.
The 'not unusual', I presume, was meant to be 'not all that
unusual as a pregnancy craving'.
I could be wrong.
--
UK Competitions and slogans: http://sig.comps.org/
Stacy

Oh, I see. I've been reading where people are eating dirt now however.
Newest eating fad maybe?
I just received The Maker's Diet as a freebie the other day with a vitamin
order. So I skimmed it a little and saw where this guy is talking about
eating dirt. I think they call it SBO. I didn't read it all so I may have it
wrong.
The author claims this diet cured him of Chrone's disease.

"Vicky Conlan" > wrote in message
| According to >:
| >This is not unusual? Are you talking of some remote people in third world
| >countries? Why do people eat red clay?
|
| The original comment was about cravings during pregnancy.
| The 'not unusual', I presume, was meant to be 'not all that
| unusual as a pregnancy craving'.
| I could be wrong.
| --
| UK Competitions and slogans: http://sig.comps.org/
Dennis Rekuta

Stacy wrote:
> Oh, I see. I've been reading where people are eating dirt now however.
> Newest eating fad maybe?
> I just received The Maker's Diet as a freebie the other day with a vitamin
> order. So I skimmed it a little and saw where this guy is talking about
> eating dirt. I think they call it SBO. I didn't read it all so I may have it
> wrong.
> The author claims this diet cured him of Chrone's disease.
>
> "Vicky Conlan" > wrote :
> | >This is not unusual? Are you talking of some remote people in third world
> | >countries? Why do people eat red clay?
> |
> | The original comment was about cravings during pregnancy.
> | The 'not unusual', I presume, was meant to be 'not all that
> | unusual as a pregnancy craving'.
> | I could be wrong.

Look up "Geophagia", a craving during pregnancy to eat soil, chalk or
clay, but particularly clay. It is common enough in parts of Africa and
the southern United States of America that is well documented in medical
literature, right down to what types of soils or clays, and what the
women say they taste like, and why they think this is a good idea.

This was a bit of an eye opener for me:
http://www.apha.org/ppp/red/afrbeliefs.htm

"Pica" is a generalized eating disorder that includes ritualized
practices such as geophagia, as well as the ingestion of any non-food
item for at least a month. Since dentists might be the first to notice
signs of pica, this was from a dental hygienists' website:

http://www.adha.org/CE_courses/course8/pica.htm

Dennis