Rae

Default brown rice

Does brown rice have a shelf life? I just opened an unopened box that I've
had about a year, and there is some webbing stuff in there.

Went to another unopened newer bag, and again, I can see some webby stuff.
It's sort of like spider webs - same thing I've noticed sometimes in my
bird's seed when I open a box that's been on the supermarket shelf too long.
This doesn't happen with white rice.
Also they don't say on the box to rinse it like they do with white rice but
I did.
Has anyone ever noticed this?

Rae
Jude

Get rtid of it. You've got critters in your rice - it's their webs.
JonquilJan

Sounds like pantry moths. Keep the brown rice in the freezer if possible.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Rae > wrote in message
> Does brown rice have a shelf life? I just opened an unopened box that I've
> had about a year, and there is some webbing stuff in there.
>
> Went to another unopened newer bag, and again, I can see some webby stuff.

<mod snip>
Don Quinoa

Rae wrote:

> This doesn't happen with white rice.

Apparently one of the reasons for stripping the nutrients out of grains
and rice to make them white is that food becomes less attractive to
weevils.

Here's two thoughts for the day.

1) If it's not good enough for weevils do you really want to eat it?

2) If the bugs got there before you then it's high grade stuff but
maybe you should be eating these nutritious foods a little more
frequently!

Always wash foods before eating them - you don't know where they've
been (unless you grew them yourself I guess)

Tony - http://www.foodsforlife.org.uk
Kate

"Rae" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Does brown rice have a shelf life? I just opened an unopened box that I've
> had about a year, and there is some webbing stuff in there.
>
> Went to another unopened newer bag, and again, I can see some webby stuff.

<Mod Snip>

It might be maggots. My kitchen had a mild "infestation" of moth maggots one
year and that webby stuff was in loads of my dried food. I threw everything
out.
Maybe your white rice has more preservatives in it than the brown, or is
better sealed...
HTH Kate

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Rae wrote:

> Does brown rice have a shelf life? I just opened an unopened box that I've
> had about a year, and there is some webbing stuff in there.

Could be some insects multiplying in there.
Rae

Thanks everyone: I am
1- Gunna throw out all the rice.
2- gunna make sure i always buy rice in bags so I can see if it has any
webby stuff
3- Gunna keep it in the freezer.

(I may start keeping my bird seed in there as well. Sometimes a bad batch
will hatch pantry moths. And they really multiply fast.

"Don Quinoa" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Rae wrote:
>
>> This doesn't happen with white rice.

> Apparently one of the reasons for stripping the nutrients out of grains
> and rice to make them white is that food becomes less attractive to
> weevils.
>
> Here's two thoughts for the day.
>
> 1) If it's not good enough for weevils do you really want to eat it?
>
> 2) If the bugs got there before you then it's high grade stuff but
> maybe you should be eating these nutritious foods a little more
> frequently!
>
> Always wash foods before eating them - you don't know where they've
> been (unless you grew them yourself I guess)
>
> Tony - http://www.foodsforlife.org.uk

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Jude wrote on 24 Jun 2005 in rec.food.veg.cooking

> Get rtid of it. You've got critters in your rice - it's their webs.

Store dry goods in a resealable tupperware type plastic container...And
add a bay leaf or two...critters hate bay leaves...or freeze it.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Jude

If you don't want to put it in the freezer, use a more solid storage
container in your cabinet...either something like tupperware, glass, or
metal. I recycle my mayo jars, wash them and fill them with rice and
grains, same thing with using metal coffee cans to store anything that
can get pantry moths. Buying your rice in bags will help you see it
once it's too late, but preventing them from getting in works better
for me!!

For storage, also looking into getting some mason or canning jars. I
just picked up a number of these from Big Lots in 8oz, pint, and quart
sizes, iifc.

Rae wrote:
> Does brown rice have a shelf life? I just opened an unopened box that I've
> had about a year, and there is some webbing stuff in there.

MOD SNIP

Definitely grain moths or pantry moths or whatever you want to call
them. I brought these moths into my house like two years ago with a bag
of wild bird seed and I am STILL battling them. They are tough little
mo'fos. As other posters have advised, I've taken to storing all
grainy things either in the fridge or in very tightly sealed Tupperware
or Rubbermade, and more recently I've gotten in the habit of using
glass jars which are attractive in the pantry (not to mention
functional, since I can see through them). If you find more evidence,
throw the stuff away in the outside garbage ASAP.

Sara Z.
Rae

I had gotten them once too from bird seed because I have a cockateil and
finally realized that was where they were coming from.

The way I finally got rid of mine was finding their caccoons. They were
hatching in the room where the bird was. If you know which room it is, look
up at the ceiling. You may find on the ceiling and at the edges, where the
walls meet the ceiling, little dark colored things. They are very small so
you may not notice them unless you are looking for them. That's where they
keep hatching and is why it takes so long to get rid of them. Get a broom of
something and get rid of those and you'll get rid of your moths.

Rae

| Definitely grain moths or pantry moths or whatever you want to call
| them. I brought these moths into my house like two years ago with a bag
| of wild bird seed and I am STILL battling them.
[mod snip]

Brown Rice Roy[_2_] General Cooking 87 12-07-2013 05:54 PM
today's congee, i made it with a new brown organic rice, it says short grain on the package but is more like pearl rice, i put it in my mini blender first, i like the effect much better so far, Lee Stormmee Asian Cooking 3 30-05-2010 09:46 AM
Brown rice Gill Smith General Cooking 8 12-11-2008 08:08 AM
Brown Rice Sue Mundy Recipes (moderated) 0 09-01-2007 01:26 AM
Help on Cooking Brown Rice (Rice Cooker) Phil Sandler General Cooking 2 10-09-2004 08:25 PM