Kake L Pugh

Default Things to do with veggie sausages

I have a couple of packets of veggie sausages - the type that are meat
analogues rather than the ones with obvious bits of vegetables in.
I'll probably use some in a pasta sauce, and I might do bangers and
mash with some of them.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for more elaborate dishes I
could use them in - perhaps ones that are traditionally made with meat
sausages. The ones I've seen online that look appealing usually pair
the sausages with beans, and while I can see this working with meat
sausages, I suspect that the omnivore I'm cooking for at the moment is
likely to find the combination "a bit too vegetarian".

So, any (preferably tested) suggestions? Something a little unusual,
perhaps? Something I'd not be likely to find with random Googling?

Kake
Regina Schmid

My favourite with veggie sausages is "meat salad":
Cut sausages into very small pieces, cut about the same amount of cornichons
into very small pieces, add mayonnaise, stirr well, serve cold with fresh
bread.

"Swiss sausage salad":
Mix sliced sausages and stripes of hard (Swiss) cheese with onion rings,
salt, pepper, vinegar and oil, stirr well, serve cold with fresh bread.

Another one:
A leftover of noodles, stir-fried with egg and sliced veggie sausages makes
together with a green salad a perfect meal.

In general, use them in every receipe that requires "real" sausages.

Regina
--
It is the compassion with all creatures
that only makes humans really human. (Albert Schweitzer)
Don Quinoa

Kake L Pugh wrote:
> I have a couple of packets of veggie sausages - So, any (preferably

tested) suggestions?

There is a really good recipe search engine here (just put in
ingredient or dish to find relevant recipes)

http://www.worldveganday.org/html/mo...rticle&artid=9

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ivu_search.php

My favourites are to shop them up and put them in a pie with mushrooms,
onions, sweetcorn and Ackeen (Jamaican fruit) and red peppers. Mix some
milled flax seeds and chopped fresh parsley in with the pastry for
extra nutrients.

Also a Sausage casserole with vegetables, garlic, tarragon and white
wine served with herb dumplings.

As a child I used to love Toad in the Hole (Sausage in Yorkshire
pudding / batter). There is a recipe for Vegan Yorkshire Pudding here.

http://www.foodsforlife.org.uk/recip...anrecipes.html

Please check ingredients of veggie sausages for hydrogenated fat as
this will make it even more difficult for your body to get sufficient
essential fats (esp omega 3) for brain and heart function.

Good Luck

Tony

http://www.foodsforlife.org.uk

In sandwiches, cooked, cooled, sliced moderately thinly and with french
mustard. IMHO works best with fresh and soft "very wholemeal" bread
with lots of seeds and bits in it.

Cheers,

Ross-c
usual suspect

Kake L Pugh wrote:
> I have a couple of packets of veggie sausages - the type that are meat
> analogues rather than the ones with obvious bits of vegetables in.
> I'll probably use some in a pasta sauce, and I might do bangers and
> mash with some of them.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for more elaborate dishes I
> could use them in - perhaps ones that are traditionally made with meat
> sausages. The ones I've seen online that look appealing usually pair
> the sausages with beans, and while I can see this working with meat
> sausages, I suspect that the omnivore I'm cooking for at the moment is
> likely to find the combination "a bit too vegetarian".
>
> So, any (preferably tested) suggestions? Something a little unusual,
> perhaps? Something I'd not be likely to find with random Googling?

Hey Kate. You can make a jambalaya. There are a couple styles you could
make. There's the creole version you'll find in and around New Orleans
which conatins tomatoes, and there's the Cajun version you'll find
outside New Orleans that doesn't use tomatoes. You can find more exact
recipes online if you need them. Here are my scant outlines for either
version.

Creole version:
Start out by sauteeing the Cajun trinity (onion, celery, bell pepper).
When soft, add some fresh minced garlic and your sliced up sausages.
When sausages are somewhat browned or at least cooked through, add a tin
of tomato puree. Season with either a prepared Cajun seasoning (Tony
Chachere's, etc.) or with a combination of salt, cayenne, thyme, onion
powder, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste. Add pre-cooked brown
rice and a little water. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed. It
shouldn't be soupy, but it should be a "wet" dish. Top with fresh
parsley and green onions.

Alternatively (or more authentically), you can use uncooked white rice
and more water so that the rice absorbs all the flavors as it cooks. The
rice in proper jambalaya is cooked with all the other ingredients. I
have a bias against white rice and I really don't care for the way
analogues cook in liquids (they tend to fall apart) so I'd be hesitant
about using brown rice. You can also add a fake chicken product (Quorn,
seitan, etc.) to give it a little more variation.

Cajun verison:
Pretty much the same thing, just leave out the tomatoes. It should be a
lot drier than the Creole version. My Cajun version with brown rice
would be more of a fried rice in practice since the rice would be
pre-cooked rather than cooked with the trinity, spices, and analgoues; I
suppose, though, you could take the sausage slices out and re-add them
just as the rice finishes cooking. You're a bright lass, you can figure
it out.

Serve either version along with greens, sweet potatoes, etc.

Second idea: grill them. Sausage is popular at BBQs here, and sausages
make decent sandwiches. Slice them length-wise and put them on your
favorite bread with some spicy BBQ sauce, sliced onion, and pickles. You
may be able to find another decent analogue to grill as well, including
burger-style products. I know it's not exactly elaborate, but it's
probably familiar enough to not be off putting.