Tom-Alex Soorhull

Default Vegetables dangerously radioactive?

I heard that some vegetables accumulate radioactive elements from the
soil like radium or uranium.

Will these vegetables cause cancer when you eat too much?
usual suspect

Tom-Alex Soorhull wrote:
> I heard that some vegetables accumulate radioactive elements from the
> soil like radium or uranium.

Where did you hear this and from whom? I wouldn't be too concerned about natural
levels of radiation in the soil -- which are mostly miniscule, harmless, and not
only absorbed by plants but kicked up when earth is moved around (fall out). The
only cause for alarm would be if your vegetables are from an area where
radiation is a significant issue such as Chernobyl or maybe regions just outside
certain old open-air test facilities (e.g., Nevada). Fortunately, those regions
aren't farmed much anyway.

> Will these vegetables cause cancer when you eat too much?

Technically, too much of just about any food can lead to cancerous growths and
other maladies. So does stress! Everything in moderation, including alarmism
about food.