Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Radioactive countertops?

x-posted, followups set to rec.food.equipment

Over the weekend, I read an article in my local newspaper about a
possible risk of radiation &/or radon contamination from kitchen and
bathroom countertops made of granite & other similar materials. The
article intimated the number of incidences is most likely very small,
but the potential risk does seem to be there. Has anyone else heard of
this? Almost makes one wonder if a geiger counter should be taken when
shopping for building materials!

For those who might be curious, here's a link for the same article at
the Sacramento Bee newspaper* entitled, "Some homeowners, concerned
about radioactivity, testing granite countertops":

http://www.sacbee.com/850/story/1702782.html

Sky

*The Sacramento Bee is not my local newspaper

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> x-posted, followups set to rec.food.equipment
>

> Over the weekend, I read an article in my local newspaper about a
> possible risk of radiation &/or radon contamination from kitchen and
> bathroom countertops made of granite & other similar materials. The
> article intimated the number of incidences is most likely very small,
> but the potential risk does seem to be there. Has anyone else heard of
> this? Almost makes one wonder if a geiger counter should be taken when
> shopping for building materials!
>
> For those who might be curious, here's a link for the same article at
> the Sacramento Bee newspaper* entitled, "Some homeowners, concerned
> about radioactivity, testing granite countertops":
>
> http://www.sacbee.com/850/story/1702782.html

All granites are radioactive to a certain extent but that which is called
granite in kitchen stores may not be so! Quarrymen and monumental masons
have their own terminology that may even apply the name granite to a basalt,
which is mineralogically poles apart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"boulanger" > wrote in message

> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> x-posted, followups set to rec.food.equipment
>>

>> Over the weekend, I read an article in my local newspaper about a
>> possible risk of radiation &/or radon contamination from kitchen and
>> bathroom countertops made of granite & other similar materials. The
>> article intimated the number of incidences is most likely very small,
>> but the potential risk does seem to be there. Has anyone else heard of
>> this? Almost makes one wonder if a geiger counter should be taken when
>> shopping for building materials!
>>
>> For those who might be curious, here's a link for the same article at
>> the Sacramento Bee newspaper* entitled, "Some homeowners, concerned
>> about radioactivity, testing granite countertops":
>>
>> http://www.sacbee.com/850/story/1702782.html
>>

> All granites are radioactive to a certain extent but that which is called
> granite in kitchen stores may not be so! Quarrymen and monumental masons
> have their own terminology that may even apply the name granite to a
> basalt,
> which is mineralogically poles apart.

All matter is radioactive, the greater its mass the more radioactivity is
likely. Most everyday items we live with do not emit hazardous types and/or
amounts of radioactivity. Being freshly mined from the earth there's a
definite likelyhood that a chunk of stone can be emmiting some degree of
radon. I think all who have stone countertops installed should have an
independant testing agency check for radon... a recording device will be
placed on or near the stone where it will check emissions 24/7 for like a
week... not a very expensive test and should be done. Chances are low that
your countertop will be emitting dangerous levels of radon but it could, the
only way to know is by having it tested. Anyone who buys stone countertops
should make the sale conditional upon the merchant agreeing to replace them
if radon exceeding the levels allowed by the EPA is detected by an
independant testing lab.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...241210,00.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "boulanger" > wrote in message
>> "Sky" > wrote in message
>>> x-posted, followups set to rec.food.equipment
>>>

>>> Over the weekend, I read an article in my local newspaper about a
>>> possible risk of radiation &/or radon contamination from kitchen and
>>> bathroom countertops made of granite & other similar materials. The
>>> article intimated the number of incidences is most likely very small,
>>> but the potential risk does seem to be there. Has anyone else heard of
>>> this? Almost makes one wonder if a geiger counter should be taken when
>>> shopping for building materials!
>>>
>>> For those who might be curious, here's a link for the same article at
>>> the Sacramento Bee newspaper* entitled, "Some homeowners, concerned
>>> about radioactivity, testing granite countertops":
>>>
>>> http://www.sacbee.com/850/story/1702782.html
>>>

>> All granites are radioactive to a certain extent but that which is called
>> granite in kitchen stores may not be so! Quarrymen and monumental masons
>> have their own terminology that may even apply the name granite to a
>> basalt,
>> which is mineralogically poles apart.
>>

> All matter is radioactive, the greater its mass the more radioactivity is
> likely. Most everyday items we live with do not emit hazardous types and/or
> amounts of radioactivity. Being freshly mined from the earth there's a
> definite likelyhood that a chunk of stone can be emmiting some degree of
> radon. I think all who have stone countertops installed should have an
> independant testing agency check for radon... a recording device will be
> placed on or near the stone where it will check emissions 24/7 for like a
> week... not a very expensive test and should be done. Chances are low that
> your countertop will be emitting dangerous levels of radon but it could, the
> only way to know is by having it tested. Anyone who buys stone countertops
> should make the sale conditional upon the merchant agreeing to replace them
> if radon exceeding the levels allowed by the EPA is detected by an
> independant testing lab.
>
> http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...241210,00.html

heck more health risk WORRYING about such than the subject itself .

Talk about a nation of fearful fannies !!