Israel Goldshmid

Default battered vegtables

I am looking for a recipe (homemade not storebought) for the batter or
breading to use with Zuchinni or mushrooms for deepfring
Steven Hoover

"Israel Goldshmid" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a recipe (homemade not storebought) for the batter or
> breading to use with Zuchinni or mushrooms for deepfring

1/2 C milk
1 egg
3/4 C flour
1/2 t salt

Combine and mix well. Makes enough batter to fry 3 large onions. If you're
vegan, I imagine you could use unflavored soymilk and an egg substitute, but
I've never tried it that way. Enjoy!
Lorraine

"Israel Goldshmid" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a recipe (homemade not storebought) for the batter or
> breading to use with Zuchinni or mushrooms for deepfring

I don't know about "The" batter, but here is a batter that you can use for
deep frying vegetables.

from Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook
by Abbot George Burke

Deep-Frying Batter

1 tsp. Basil, powdered
1 tsp. Black pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic salt
3 c. Unbleached white flour
2 T. Baking powder
2-3 c. Club soda

Combine the basil, pepper, garlic salt, flour, and baking powder. Add the
soda until you have a batter of the desired consistency. Dip whatever you
wish to fry into the batter and then deep-fry at 400 degrees F.
Louise Bremner

Israel Goldshmid > wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe (homemade not storebought) for the batter or
> breading to use with Zuchinni or mushrooms for deepfring

I'm not sure what you mean by "the" batter to use, but I use a
beer-based one....

Beer Batter
^^^^^^^^^^^
1 cup flour
1-1/4 cup (or slightly more) beer (any kind--the cook gets to finish the
leftovers)
pinch salt
(1 or 2 Tbsps finely chopped parsley, if appropriate)

Beat all ingredients together well, and let stand in a cool place (not
the fridge) for at least one hour; preferably two.

The batter will separate in a rather disgusting manner during that time,
but don't worry--beat it well before use.

Use as a batter for deep-frying, or mix in chopped ingredients and make
drop-cakes (what're they called?) in a frying pan.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
Megan Milligan

i think by "the" batter, he may have been referring to a tempura batter used
for deepfrying zucchini & other sliced veggies in japanese cooking.

Title: VEGETABLE TEMPURA
Categories: Vegetarian, Vegan, Appetizers
Yield: 10 servings

2/3 c Unbleached white flour
2/3 c Arrowroot (or cornstarch)
2 tb Baking powder
1 tb Curry powder
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Black pepper
1 c ;water
Vegetables: carrots,
-broccoli, cauliflower,
-potatoes, bell pepper,
-parsnips, etc.)
Unbleached flour for
-dredging the vegetables
Cooking oil for deep-frying
-the tempura vegetables

Mix all of teh dry ingredients together. Add the
water gradually until the mixture has the consistency
of a light batter. The batter can be used immediately
or refrigerated until needed. Leftover batter can be
saved for future use.

Cut the vegetables into manageable pieces. For
example, use florets of broccoli and cauliflower; cut
carrots, potatoes, and parsnips into slices of about
3/8 inch; cut bell peppers into 1/2-inch wide strips,
and so on. Drain the vegetables. dreidge in flour and
dust off the excess.

Pour about 2 inches of cooking oil into a deep frying
pan and begin heating it. (The oil should be about 375
degrees F to fry the vegetables.) Dip the floured
pieces of vegetable into the tempura batter to coat
thoroughly. Deep-fry the vegetables until golden
brown. drain on paper towels and serve immediately,
accompanied by a dipping sauce, such as a sweet and
sour sauce.

Megan

> I'm not sure what you mean by "the" batter to use, but I use a
> beer-based one....

Chef R. W. Miller

1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1/2 cup beer
peanut oil for deep frying

Make the tempura batter by whisking flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt
in a medium bowl and whisking in egg whites and beer. Let sit in the
refrigerator about 30 minutes. Pour peanut oil into a deep saucepan to the
depth of about three to four inches and heat on high until a bread cube
dropped into the oil immediately sizzles.
Preparation Time: 0:00

"Israel Goldshmid" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a recipe (homemade not storebought) for the batter or
> breading to use with Zuchinni or mushrooms for deepfring

C. Noble

Title: VEGETABLE TEMPURA
Categories: Vegetarian, Vegan, Appetizers
Yield: 10 servings

2/3 c Unbleached white flour
2/3 c Arrowroot (or cornstarch)
2 TB Baking powder
1 TBD Curry powder
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Black pepper
1 c ;water
Vegetables: carrots,
-broccoli, cauliflower,
-potatoes, bell pepper,
-parsnips, etc.)
Unbleached flour for
-dredging the vegetables
Cooking oil for deep-frying
-the tempura vegetables

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Add the
water gradually until the mixture has the consistency
of a light batter. The batter can be used immediately
or refrigerated until needed. Leftover batter can be
saved for future use.

Cut the vegetables into manageable pieces. For
example, use florets of broccoli and cauliflower; cut
carrots, potatoes, and parsnips into slices of about
3/8 inch; cut bell peppers into 1/2-inch wide strips,
and so on. Drain the vegetables. dredge in flour and
dust off the excess.

Pour about 2 inches of cooking oil into a deep frying
pan and begin heating it. (The oil should be about 375
degrees F to fry the vegetables.) Dip the floured
pieces of vegetable into the tempura batter to coat
thoroughly. Deep-fry the vegetables until golden
brown. drain on paper towels and serve immediately,
accompanied by a dipping sauce, such as a sweet and
sour sauce.

"Chef R. W. Miller" > wrote in message
. com...
> 1/2 cup flour
> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> 1 teaspoon baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 egg whites
> 1/2 cup beer
> peanut oil for deep frying
>
> Make the tempura batter by whisking flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt
> in a medium bowl and whisking in egg whites and beer. Let sit in the
> refrigerator about 30 minutes. Pour peanut oil into a deep saucepan to the
> depth of about three to four inches and heat on high until a bread cube
> dropped into the oil immediately sizzles.
> Preparation Time: 0:00
>
> "Israel Goldshmid" > wrote in message
> > I am looking for a recipe (homemade not storebought) for the batter or
> > breading to use with Zuchinni or mushrooms for deepfring

Beer battered Flake PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 0 19-07-2008 05:46 AM
Egg-Battered Zucchini Roll-Ups Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 31-08-2007 06:53 AM
Battered Eggplant jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 07-07-2007 09:42 PM
Battered shrimp aem General Cooking 0 09-09-2006 08:35 PM
Beer Battered Shrimp [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-06-2005 04:09 AM