ANDRETTA KOBIK

Default chives

what can I do with my pot of chives before they freeze??They are the
only herb outside left. thanks,Andretta
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

ANDRETTA KOBIK wrote:

> what can I do with my pot of chives before they freeze??They are the
> only herb outside left. thanks,Andretta

You could take the pots inside to keep them in a non-heated room (or
green house).

Or just cut off everything, chop and freeze to have some during the
winter.
Kate Pugh

ANDRETTA KOBIK > wrote:
> what can I do with my pot of chives before they freeze??They are the
> only herb outside left. thanks,Andretta

If you absolutely have to use them up instead of bringing them inside,
you could make an interesting and unusual salsa or side dish by just
chopping them up very finely and mixing them with maybe some
finely-chopped tomato and/or some fresh lemon juice and/or some plain
yogurt, and serving them alongside a stew or curry or something.

Kake
Natarajan Krishnaswami

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:04:51 GMT, Kate Pugh > wrote:
> If you absolutely have to use them up instead of bringing them inside,
> you could make an interesting and unusual salsa or side dish by just
> chopping them up very finely and mixing them with maybe some
> finely-chopped tomato and/or some fresh lemon juice and/or some plain
> yogurt, and serving them alongside a stew or curry or something.

Hmm, blended with olive oil, nuts and some hard cheese (perhaps salt
and nutritional yeast, if vegan?) and maybe some other herbs (sage!)
for a pungent pesto-alike? This would be really good to flavor thin
vegetable soups.

Chive would definitely be great in hash browns (or potato pancakes).

I suspect they'd make an interesting addition to a potato-leek soup
recipe, perhaps entirely replacing the leeks! Probably a good
replacement for scallions in miso soup....

This recipe, Eggplant Caponata with Chives, calls for half a cup of
chopped chives:
<URI:http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blv175.htm>

HTH,
N.
Candi Bowen

----------
In article >, Kate Pugh > wrote:

>ANDRETTA KOBIK > wrote:
>> what can I do with my pot of chives before they freeze??They are the
>> only herb outside left. thanks,Andretta

>If you absolutely have to use them up instead of bringing them inside,
>you could make an interesting and unusual salsa or side dish by just
>chopping them up very finely and mixing them with maybe some
>finely-chopped tomato and/or some fresh lemon juice and/or some plain
>yogurt, and serving them alongside a stew or curry or something.
>
>Kake

Why don't you bring them in, chop them up, put them in a baggie for your
freezer? Chives don't dry without turning brown, but you can certainly
freeze them for later use.

Candi

Chives Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 18 18-06-2013 04:00 PM
wok seasoning using Chinese chives? Jon and Courtney Asian Cooking 3 27-09-2004 12:48 PM
wok seasoning using Chinese chives? Jon and Courtney General Cooking 1 21-09-2004 02:43 PM
chives ANDRETTA KOBIK General Cooking 4 19-10-2003 07:23 PM
chives ANDRETTA KOBIK Vegetarian cooking 0 19-10-2003 09:25 AM