Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chives

I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I added
some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a 5
star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones at
home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:02:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I
>>added
>>some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
>>them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a
>>5
>>star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
>>well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
>>seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
>>What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones at
>>home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!
>>

> Chopped in egg salad sandwiches.

Ah well... I do have eggs that need to be used up. Will make some later
this week. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:02:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I added
> some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
> them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a 5
> star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
> well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
> seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
> What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones at
> home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!

With all your dislikes and can't eats, it's pretty hard to suggest
anything to you. Google says they can be used as a substitute for
parsley, which opens a world of possibilities. I also saw a
vinaigrette recipe from Bon Appétit that's worth passing on.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...ve-vinaigrette

Fresh Chive Vinaigrette
Makes 1/4 cup

Ingredients

1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Freshly ground black pepper

8 cups salad greens and fresh herb leaves and tender stems

Preparation

Combine garlic and a pinch of salt in a large salad bowl. Mash to a
paste with a fork. Mix in vinegar, then oil and chives; season with
salt and pepper. Add greens and herbs and toss to coat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Use them fresh on most things where you'd use onion, soup, any salads with mayonnaise, sauces, etc. Dry them on low in the oven or dehydrator, or chop and freeze. They're good on just about anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I added
> some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
> them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a 5
> star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
> well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
> seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
> What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones at
> home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!

You can dry your leftover chives....or just throw them in for onions in a
recipe.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/06/2013 10:00 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I added
>> some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
>> them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a 5
>> star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
>> well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
>> seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
>> What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones at
>> home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!

> You can dry your leftover chives....or just throw them in for onions in a
> recipe.

You can use them for an onion sort of flavour in some dishes, but they
are not a substitute for onions.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I added
some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a 5
star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones at
home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!
Maybe they could be dried out and used as needed. Do you have a dehydrator?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:02:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I
>> added
>> some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
>> them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a
>> 5
>> star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
>> well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
>> seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
>> What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones
>> at
>> home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!
>>

> With all your dislikes and can't eats, it's pretty hard to suggest
> anything to you. Google says they can be used as a substitute for
> parsley, which opens a world of possibilities. I also saw a
> vinaigrette recipe from Bon Appétit that's worth passing on.
>
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...ve-vinaigrette
>
> Fresh Chive Vinaigrette
> Makes 1/4 cup
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
> Kosher salt
> 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
> 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
> Freshly ground black pepper
>
> 8 cups salad greens and fresh herb leaves and tender stems
>
> Preparation
>
> Combine garlic and a pinch of salt in a large salad bowl. Mash to a
> paste with a fork. Mix in vinegar, then oil and chives; season with
> salt and pepper. Add greens and herbs and toss to coat.

Thanks! But we don't eat that kind of salad dressing. I don't eat any at
all. Daughter usually doesn't eat any either. Husband will eat some, but
not that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Use them fresh on most things where you'd use onion, soup, any salads with
> mayonnaise, sauces, etc. Dry them on low in the oven or dehydrator, or
> chop and freeze. They're good on just about anything.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I
>> added
>> some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
>> them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a
>> 5
>> star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
>> well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
>> seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
>> What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones
>> at
>> home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!

> You can dry your leftover chives....or just throw them in for onions in a
> recipe.

I already have dried ones. Prolly just should have used those. None of us
really seemed to *like* the chives on the potatoes. Heh. Won't be doing
that again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 17/06/2013 10:00 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I
>>> added
>>> some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
>>> them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was
>>> a 5
>>> star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to
>>> leave
>>> well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
>>> seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
>>> What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones
>>> at
>>> home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!

>> You can dry your leftover chives....or just throw them in for onions in a
>> recipe.
>>

> You can use them for an onion sort of flavour in some dishes, but they are
> not a substitute for onions.

Yeah. I was expecting more of an onion flavor and it just wasn't there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I love them snipped into scrambled eggs. I bet they would also be good
on a cheese pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:29:09 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:02:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I used a small amount of chives on our baked potatoes tonight. And I
>>> added
>>> some to our salads. But I have quite a few left. I did consider adding
>>> them to the macaroni salad that I just made but decided not to. It was a
>>> 5
>>> star recipe and this was the first time that I made it. Decided to leave
>>> well enough alone! My dad used to put chives on his cottage cheese but
>>> seeing as how I can't eat cottage cheese, I won't be doing that. So...
>>> What else can I do with these things? My mom always had the dried ones
>>> at
>>> home and that is what my dad used. But these are fresh ones. Thanks!
>>>

>> With all your dislikes and can't eats, it's pretty hard to suggest
>> anything to you. Google says they can be used as a substitute for
>> parsley, which opens a world of possibilities. I also saw a
>> vinaigrette recipe from Bon Appétit that's worth passing on.
>>
>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...ve-vinaigrette
>>
>> Fresh Chive Vinaigrette
>> Makes 1/4 cup
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> 1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
>> Kosher salt
>> 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
>> 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
>> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
>> Freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> 8 cups salad greens and fresh herb leaves and tender stems
>>
>> Preparation
>>
>> Combine garlic and a pinch of salt in a large salad bowl. Mash to a
>> paste with a fork. Mix in vinegar, then oil and chives; season with
>> salt and pepper. Add greens and herbs and toss to coat.

>Thanks! But we don't eat that kind of salad dressing.

Of course you don't.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> Maybe they could be dried out and used as needed. Do you have a
> dehydrator?

Yes but I don't need dried ones. Already have them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
>I love them snipped into scrambled eggs. I bet they would also be good
> on a cheese pizza.

Ooh! Might try that. Will bake a pizza this week for husband.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Ok..well maybe you could have extras.

wok seasoning using Chinese chives? Jon and Courtney Asian Cooking 3 27-09-2004 12:48 PM
wok seasoning using Chinese chives? Jon and Courtney General Cooking 1 21-09-2004 02:43 PM
chives ANDRETTA KOBIK Vegetarian cooking 4 25-10-2003 05:47 PM
chives ANDRETTA KOBIK General Cooking 4 19-10-2003 07:23 PM
chives ANDRETTA KOBIK Vegetarian cooking 0 19-10-2003 09:25 AM