Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Thai herb noodle soup

As I was buying some groceries tonight, the owner of the shop was
eating the most delicious smelling dinner, a quick (despite the
laundry list of ingredients) noodle soup. I picked up the herbs she
suggested, and man, it rocked!

a little oil
a little garlic, minced

thin soy sauce
dark soy sauce (I used shoyu)
1/2 tsp lemongrass (tender parts minced, tough parts whole)

1 tsp minced galangal
1 quart of water
small block of soft tofu (maybe 6oz or so), cubed

1 small package of mung bean noodles

2-4 Tbsp cilantro (I used long coriander, but regular is fine)
2-4 Tbsp fish mint
2-4 Tbsp Thai basil
5-6 oz bean sprouts (I used soy, but mung would be nice, too)

red chili paste
Thai green chilies, sliced finely (opt)
fried shallots
kaffir lime leaves (I have some I ground with red chili, salt and
tamarind)

Heat the oil and saute the garlic.

Add the soy sauces and lemongrass, and let reduce slightly.

Add the galangal, water, and tofu, and simmer.

Salt to taste. I added a little MSG, too; you can use a veggie
bouillon cube, or a light veggie stock instead of water if you prefer.

Simmer till the tofu firms up a bit, reduce the heat, and add the
noodles.

Once they are cooked (this will be FAST), remove from heat and add the
herbs.

In each bowl, garnish with chili paste, a little green chili, fried
shallots, and a sprinkle of ground kaffir lime leaf.

Enjoy!
N.