Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Recipe - Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus

Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
I'm a huge hummus fan. Not only is it a fairly healthy snack, but it's also
something that can be whipped up in no time. If you're still buying hummus,
I beg you to try and make your own, and I promise you won't be disappointed.
This, is by far, one of my most favorite hummus recipes, and probably one of
my most favorite recipes to make, period. I've converted many a non-hummus
eater with this recipe. You can check out the finished product at my
vegetarian food blog, http://28cooks.blogspot.com.

Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (15oz) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp lime juice
1/2 c good light olive oil
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and finely minced
3/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped

In a food processor or blender, puree garlic, beans, salt, and lime juice.
Slowly stream in olive oil until well blended. Stir in jalapenos and
cilantro. Allow a hour or so in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.
Serve with pita chips*, fresh veggies, tortilla chips, etc.

*Pita chips are another thing that are extremely easy to make. Spicewise,
they can be taken in literally any direction. Usually, I cut mine in half,
brush them with a good salad dressing (such as Ken's Northern Italian),
place in a 350 degree oven, and bake about 10-15 minutes, flipping once or
twice until crispy. Or you can spray them with a little olive oil cooking
spray, and hit them with whatever spices you'd like.

Enjoy!!
Christiane

Posted to alt.food.vegan

On 2006-02-10, cbritt > wrote:
> Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
> I'm a huge hummus fan.

I'm not! I hate chick peas, as I'm sure others do. But wait!
All is not lost. Simply substitute avocado for the chick peas
and add a little diced tomato and you have... oh, wait, that's
guacamole.

Never mind.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

cbritt wrote:
> Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
> I'm a huge hummus fan. Not only is it a fairly healthy snack, but it's also
> something that can be whipped up in no time. If you're still buying hummus,
> I beg you to try and make your own, and I promise you won't be disappointed.
> This, is by far, one of my most favorite hummus recipes, and probably one of
> my most favorite recipes to make, period. I've converted many a non-hummus
> eater with this recipe. You can check out the finished product at my
> vegetarian food blog, http://28cooks.blogspot.com.
>
> Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 (15oz) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 3 tbsp lime juice
> 1/2 c good light olive oil
> 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and finely minced
> 3/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
>
> In a food processor or blender, puree garlic, beans, salt, and lime juice.
> Slowly stream in olive oil until well blended. Stir in jalapenos and
> cilantro. Allow a hour or so in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.
> Serve with pita chips*, fresh veggies, tortilla chips, etc.
>
> *Pita chips are another thing that are extremely easy to make. Spicewise,
> they can be taken in literally any direction. Usually, I cut mine in half,
> brush them with a good salad dressing (such as Ken's Northern Italian),
> place in a 350 degree oven, and bake about 10-15 minutes, flipping once or
> twice until crispy. Or you can spray them with a little olive oil cooking
> spray, and hit them with whatever spices you'd like.
>
> Enjoy!!
> Christiane

But is this really hummus? To me it's not hummus unless it's got
chickpeas, tahini, oil (preferably olive), lemon juice, and garlic.
Anything else, while it might be tasty, isn't hummus. What defines
hummus anyways? My hummus orthodoxy permits the substitution of lime
juice for lemon juice, but if there's no tahini and no chick peas, then
it's not hummus.

By the way, this looks like a good recipe and I'll probably give it a
try. Thanks for sharing.

---
John Knez
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Chickpeas = Garbonzo Beans

"John Knez" > wrote in message
> cbritt wrote:
>> Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
>> I'm a huge hummus fan. Not only is it a fairly healthy snack, but it's
>> also
>> something that can be whipped up in no time. If you're still buying
>> hummus,
>> I beg you to try and make your own, and I promise you won't be
>> disappointed.
>> This, is by far, one of my most favorite hummus recipes, and probably one
>> of
>> my most favorite recipes to make, period. I've converted many a
>> non-hummus
>> eater with this recipe. You can check out the finished product at my
>> vegetarian food blog, http://28cooks.blogspot.com.
>>
>> Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
>> 2 cloves garlic, minced
>> 2 (15oz) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 3 tbsp lime juice
>> 1/2 c good light olive oil
>> 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and finely minced
>> 3/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
>>
>> In a food processor or blender, puree garlic, beans, salt, and lime
>> juice.
>> Slowly stream in olive oil until well blended. Stir in jalapenos and
>> cilantro. Allow a hour or so in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.
>> Serve with pita chips*, fresh veggies, tortilla chips, etc.
>>
>> *Pita chips are another thing that are extremely easy to make. Spicewise,
>> they can be taken in literally any direction. Usually, I cut mine in
>> half,
>> brush them with a good salad dressing (such as Ken's Northern Italian),
>> place in a 350 degree oven, and bake about 10-15 minutes, flipping once
>> or
>> twice until crispy. Or you can spray them with a little olive oil cooking
>> spray, and hit them with whatever spices you'd like.
>>
>> Enjoy!!
>> Christiane
>>

> But is this really hummus? To me it's not hummus unless it's got
> chickpeas, tahini, oil (preferably olive), lemon juice, and garlic.
> Anything else, while it might be tasty, isn't hummus. What defines hummus
> anyways? My hummus orthodoxy permits the substitution of lime juice for
> lemon juice, but if there's no tahini and no chick peas, then it's not
> hummus.
>
> By the way, this looks like a good recipe and I'll probably give it a try.
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> ---
> John Knez

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Anon wrote:
> Chickpeas = Garbonzo Beans

I know that, but there's no tahini. I've seen recipes that substitute
other things for the tahini, like peanut butter. To me that's something
inspired by hummus, but not hummus. So again, what defines hummus? How
far can a recipe deviate from classic hummus before it's not hummus? Is
the mere presence of mashed chickpeas enough to qualify a recipe as hummus?

---
John Knez

Posted to alt.food.vegan

What do you think? Personally, if I were to make "Hummus" without chickpeas
and tahini I would not call it hummus. I'd call it chickpea dip. But does
it really matter? If it's got mostly chickpeas, it's close enough in my
opinion.

"John Knez" > wrote in message
> Anon wrote:
>> Chickpeas = Garbonzo Beans
>>

> I know that, but there's no tahini. I've seen recipes that substitute
> other things for the tahini, like peanut butter. To me that's something
> inspired by hummus, but not hummus. So again, what defines hummus? How
> far can a recipe deviate from classic hummus before it's not hummus? Is
> the mere presence of mashed chickpeas enough to qualify a recipe as
> hummus?
>
> ---
> John Knez

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Also, people will debate what classic hummus is. Don't turn hummus into
religion!!

"John Knez" > wrote in message
> Anon wrote:
>> Chickpeas = Garbonzo Beans
>>

> I know that, but there's no tahini. I've seen recipes that substitute
> other things for the tahini, like peanut butter. To me that's something
> inspired by hummus, but not hummus. So again, what defines hummus? How
> far can a recipe deviate from classic hummus before it's not hummus? Is
> the mere presence of mashed chickpeas enough to qualify a recipe as
> hummus?
>
> ---
> John Knez

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Anon > wrote:
> Also, people will debate what classic hummus is. Don't turn hummus into
> religion!!

Indeed my idea of the perfect hummus has garlic as between 25 and 50
percent.