Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Default Second US vCJD Case Reported (and like the first, it involves a Briton)

Associated Press
HOUSTON — A man from Great Britain who lived in Houston for four years
has been diagnosed with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human
form of mad cow disease, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control confirmed
today.

The 30-year-old man was diagnosed with the second U.S. case of variant
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease because his symptoms began while he lived in
Houston.

Earlier this year, he returned to Great Britain, where his disease
progressed and he is now receiving medical treatment for the fatal illness.

The U.K. National Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Surveillance Unit in
Edinburgh, Scotland, informed the Atlanta-based CDC of the probable
variant CJD diagnosis and told the disease center the case would need to
be reported as a U.S. case.

The man was born in the United Kingdom and lived there from 1980-1996, a
period during which those living in the country were at risk of exposure
to beef products infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy, more
commonly known as mad cow disease.

The infected man's temporary stay in the U.S. has been deemed "too brief
relative to what is known about the incubation period for variant CJD,"
the CDC said. It is believed he was infected in the United Kingdom
because the disease's incubation period can last years, sometimes
decades....

A total of 185 people from 11 countries have been diagnosed with variant
CJD since 1996. A majority of the cases — 158 — have been diagnosed in
Great Britain, 15 in France, three in Ireland and two in the United
States. Canada, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Portugal, Saudi Arabia
and Spain have each also reported a case.

The initial U.S. case involved a woman from Great Britain who was living
in Florida. She died last year, Schonberger said.

"They have been having cases in the United Kingdom on a regular basis,"
he said. "From our perspective, this is just the continuation of the
ongoing outbreak in the United Kingdom."

Rest of article:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printsto...onicle/3476565
---------------------------------------
Note to Beach Bungler Bob: 185 cases over ~10 years isn't an outbreak,
an epidemic, or the tip of some kind of iceberg. It's no doubt a
tragedy, but it's very much isolated both geographically (85.4% of all
diagnosed in the UK, and 100% of US reported cases involved Britons as
well; the UK's population is 0.94% of the world's population) and to a
specific time frame (1980-1996). The number of new cases in the UK
continues to *decline*, which isn't what one would expect if it were the
tip of some iceberg.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...610802,00.html
http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ew/2004/040513.asp#3
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

> Associated Press
> HOUSTON — A man from Great Britain who lived in Houston for four years
> has been diagnosed with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human
> form of mad cow disease, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control confirmed
> today.
>
> The 30-year-old man was diagnosed with the second U.S. case of variant
> Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease because his symptoms began while he lived in
> Houston.
>
> Earlier this year, he returned to Great Britain, where his disease
> progressed and he is now receiving medical treatment for the fatal illness.
>
> The U.K. National Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Surveillance Unit in
> Edinburgh, Scotland, informed the Atlanta-based CDC of the probable
> variant CJD diagnosis and told the disease center the case would need to
> be reported as a U.S. case.
>
> The man was born in the United Kingdom and lived there from 1980-1996, a
> period during which those living in the country were at risk of exposure
> to beef products infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy, more
> commonly known as mad cow disease.
>
> The infected man's temporary stay in the U.S. has been deemed "too brief
> relative to what is known about the incubation period for variant CJD,"
> the CDC said. It is believed he was infected in the United Kingdom
> because the disease's incubation period can last years, sometimes
> decades....
>
> A total of 185 people from 11 countries have been diagnosed with variant
> CJD since 1996. A majority of the cases — 158 — have been diagnosed in
> Great Britain, 15 in France, three in Ireland and two in the United
> States. Canada, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Portugal, Saudi Arabia
> and Spain have each also reported a case.
>
> The initial U.S. case involved a woman from Great Britain who was living
> in Florida. She died last year, Schonberger said.
>
> "They have been having cases in the United Kingdom on a regular basis,"
> he said. "From our perspective, this is just the continuation of the
> ongoing outbreak in the United Kingdom."
>
> Rest of article:
> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printsto...onicle/3476565
> ---------------------------------------
> Note to Beach Bungler Bob: 185 cases over ~10 years isn't an outbreak,
> an epidemic, or the tip of some kind of iceberg. It's no doubt a
> tragedy, but it's very much isolated both geographically (85.4% of all
> diagnosed in the UK, and 100% of US reported cases involved Britons as
> well; the UK's population is 0.94% of the world's population) and to a
> specific time frame (1980-1996). The number of new cases in the UK
> continues to *decline*, which isn't what one would expect if it were the
> tip of some iceberg.

We don't know the full extent, or how contaminated the bovine food
supply was and is for how many years. The long period it takes to emerge
makes it impossible to predict the full outbreak.

> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...610802,00.html
> http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ew/2004/040513.asp#3

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Bunghole wrote:
>> Associated Press
>> HOUSTON — A man from Great Britain who lived in Houston for four years
>> has been diagnosed with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human
>> form of mad cow disease, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control
>> confirmed today.
>>
>> The 30-year-old man was diagnosed with the second U.S. case of variant
>> Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease because his symptoms began while he lived in
>> Houston.
>>
>> Earlier this year, he returned to Great Britain, where his disease
>> progressed and he is now receiving medical treatment for the fatal
>> illness.
>>
>> The U.K. National Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Surveillance Unit in
>> Edinburgh, Scotland, informed the Atlanta-based CDC of the probable
>> variant CJD diagnosis and told the disease center the case would need
>> to be reported as a U.S. case.
>>
>> The man was born in the United Kingdom and lived there from 1980-1996,
>> a period during which those living in the country were at risk of
>> exposure to beef products infected with bovine spongiform
>> encephalopathy, more commonly known as mad cow disease.
>>
>> The infected man's temporary stay in the U.S. has been deemed "too
>> brief relative to what is known about the incubation period for
>> variant CJD," the CDC said. It is believed he was infected in the
>> United Kingdom because the disease's incubation period can last years,
>> sometimes decades....
>>
>> A total of 185 people from 11 countries have been diagnosed with
>> variant CJD since 1996. A majority of the cases — 158 — have been
>> diagnosed in Great Britain, 15 in France, three in Ireland and two in
>> the United States. Canada, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Portugal,
>> Saudi Arabia and Spain have each also reported a case.
>>
>> The initial U.S. case involved a woman from Great Britain who was
>> living in Florida. She died last year, Schonberger said.
>>
>> "They have been having cases in the United Kingdom on a regular
>> basis," he said. "From our perspective, this is just the continuation
>> of the ongoing outbreak in the United Kingdom."
>>
>> Rest of article:
>> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printsto...onicle/3476565
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Note to Beach Bungler Bob: 185 cases over ~10 years isn't an outbreak,
>> an epidemic, or the tip of some kind of iceberg. It's no doubt a
>> tragedy, but it's very much isolated both geographically (85.4% of all
>> diagnosed in the UK, and 100% of US reported cases involved Britons as
>> well; the UK's population is 0.94% of the world's population) and to a
>> specific time frame (1980-1996). The number of new cases in the UK
>> continues to *decline*, which isn't what one would expect if it were
>> the tip of some iceberg.

> We don't know the full extent,

We know that the problem was isolated geographically and that it applied
to a specific period of time. The experts have, for the most part,
retracted their wildest forecasts and are increasingly skeptical that a
pandemic of vCJD will occur.

> or how contaminated the bovine food supply was

Wrong, we do know the extent. We also know that rendering in the US and
UK were different. Since the UK had more cases of BSE early on, and
since the UK rendered those animals, it stands to reason that rendered
feeds in the UK would have a greater rate of contamination. The other
nations with significant cases of BSE imported cattle and feeds from the
UK. The US was not a big importer of either UK feeds or UK cattle:
BSE has not occurred in the United States or other countries
that have historically imported little or no live cattle, beef
products, or livestock nutritional supplements from the UK. Even
though rendering procedures in other countries underwent changes
similar to those in the UK during the late 1970s, BSE has
apparently emerged solely within the UK. The most plausible
explanation is that the proportion of sheep in the mix of
rendered animal carcasses and the proportion of scrapie
infections in such sheep were probably higher in the UK than
elsewhere. These proportions were apparently sufficient to bring
very low levels of the etiologic agent in batches of rendered
carcasses over the threshold of transmission in the UK but not
in other countries.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol7no1/brown.htm

> and is for how many years.

The window isn't unlimited. Researchers are increasingly skeptical there
will be a pandemic or even significant increases in the number of new
cases because the data don't support it. The actions taken early on in
the UK -- specifically banning feeds made with rendered ruminants --
coincide with a peak of cases. Since that time, new cases have fallen
quickly.

> The long period it takes to emerge
> makes it impossible to predict the full outbreak.

The window from time of infection to detection appears to be within a
decade. Some new cases may occur from infection via blood transfusion,
medical instruments, etc., but the food supply has been shown to be very
safe.

>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...610802,00.html
>> http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ew/2004/040513.asp#3

Did you even look at these, dummy?
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:
> [...]

> carcasses over the threshold of transmission in the UK but not
> in other countries.
> http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol7no1/brown.htm
>
>> and is for how many years.

> The window isn't unlimited. Researchers are increasingly skeptical there
> will be a pandemic or even significant increases in the number of new
> cases because the data don't support it. The actions taken early on in
> the UK -- specifically banning feeds made with rendered ruminants --
> coincide with a peak of cases. Since that time, new cases have fallen
> quickly.
>
>> The long period it takes to emerge
>> makes it impossible to predict the full outbreak.

> The window from time of infection to detection appears to be within a
> decade. Some new cases may occur from infection via blood transfusion,
> medical instruments, etc., but the food supply has been shown to be very

which says basic
>>> ooy it won't come.

rosurhttp://www.euveillance.org/ew/2004/040513.asp#3

a leading doctor without data says it won't happen.
I've posted experts that say it will.

It doesn't compare to the effects of many other dangers facing us,
and certainly the coronary diseases facing meat eaters.
And the sad fact that most people's phytochemicals comes from coffee
because their diet is so lacking in produce.

> Did you even look at these, dummy?

You can call me a dummy, which is not statistically or remotely true,
while you continued anti social behavior is demonstrated in most of your
posts. I'm especially offended by the obscenities you post at good
woman. Fidyl for example serves her community and he clients. She does
much good, but because you disagree on a questionable biography, you
feel the right to post obscenities. It is bad form, show bad social
judgment, and is just plain rude. I mentioned she did yoga, well she's a
more complete yoga teacher, that was the tip of the iceberg. She does
good, and helps promote teaching the disadvantaged. She helps society.

I help society. I solve problems for companies. I contribute to my
community by playing when they need a musician, usually pro bono in
spite of my status. In fact, one band has raised over $500,000 that
goes to supporting the local arts. That is a good thing. What do you do
that's good. I'd be interested.

I have seen many studies that show farmers are ignoring the regulations
or unaware of them.
And I don't consider Mad Cow Disease the major calamity new media
stories love. It is a danger. We face far greater dangers. Excess meat
consumption, which is the rule, is a prime factor in cardio vascular
disorders. Overuse of antibiotics. The transport of nuclear materials
an burying them under the pimple of the desert, that is not geologically
stable is probably the biggest danger human, and most higher forms of
life face.

Stop your insults and you'd be listened to as a more rational human
being. You have talent and intelligence, but your constant insults would
give anyone cause to wonder about your sanity, if not your basic civility.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

Beach Runner wrote:

> [...]

> that's good. I'd be interested.
>
> I have seen many studies that show farmers are ignoring the regulations
> or unaware of them.
> And I don't consider Mad Cow Disease the major calamity new media
> stories love. It is a danger. We face far greater dangers. Excess meat
> consumption, which is the rule, is a prime factor in cardio vascular
> disorders. Overuse of antibiotics. The transport of nuclear materials
> an burying them under the pimple of the desert, that is not geologically
> stable is probably the biggest danger human, and most higher forms of
> life face.
>

> Stop your insults and you'd be listened to as a more rational human
> being. You have talent and intelligence, but your constant insults would
> give anyone cause to wonder about your sanity, if not your basic civility.

BTW, as a proof of honesty, FIDLY posted the same article about the
dangers of produce vegetables. We should be aware.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:

> usual suspect wrote:

>>> We don't know the full extent,

>> We know that the problem was isolated geographically and that it
>> applied to a specific period of time. The experts have, for the most
>> part, retracted their wildest forecasts and are increasingly skeptical
>> that a pandemic of vCJD will occur.
>>
>>> or how contaminated the bovine food supply was

>> Wrong, we do know the extent. We also know that rendering in the US
>> and UK were different. Since the UK had more cases of BSE early on,
>> and since the UK rendered those animals, it stands to reason that
>> rendered feeds in the UK would have a greater rate of contamination.
>> The other nations with significant cases of BSE imported cattle and
>> feeds from the UK. The US was not a big importer of either UK feeds or
>> UK cattle:
>> BSE has not occurred in the United States or other countries
>> that have historically imported little or no live cattle, beef
>> products, or livestock nutritional supplements from the UK. Even
>> though rendering procedures in other countries underwent changes
>> similar to those in the UK during the late 1970s, BSE has
>> apparently emerged solely within the UK. The most plausible
>> explanation is that the proportion of sheep in the mix of
>> rendered animal carcasses and the proportion of scrapie
>> infections in such sheep were probably higher in the UK than
>> elsewhere. These proportions were apparently sufficient to bring
>> very low levels of the etiologic agent in batches of rendered
>> carcasses over the threshold of transmission in the UK but not
>> in other countries.
>> http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol7no1/brown.htm
>>
>>> and is for how many years.

>> The window isn't unlimited. Researchers are increasingly skeptical
>> there will be a pandemic or even significant increases in the number
>> of new cases because the data don't support it. The actions taken
>> early on in the UK -- specifically banning feeds made with rendered
>> ruminants -- coincide with a peak of cases. Since that time, new cases
>> have fallen quickly.
>>
>>> The long period it takes to emerge
>>> makes it impossible to predict the full outbreak.

>> The window from time of infection to detection appears to be within a
>> decade. Some new cases may occur from infection via blood transfusion,
>> medical instruments, etc., but the food supply has been shown to be
>> very safe.

> which says basic

> rosurhttp://www.euveillance.org/ew/2004/040513.asp#3
>

> a leading doctor without data says it won't happen.

Wrong: "A leading doctor believes public *ignorance* of science has
allowed fears over mad cow disease to spin out of control..."

That's you in a nutshell. Nutbag.

> I've posted experts that say it will.

Wrong. Not experts.

> It doesn't compare to the effects of many other dangers facing us,

Yet you keeping harping on this one disease -- 185 cases over ~10 years
that's very much isolated both geographically (85.4% of all diagnosed in
the UK, and 100% of US reported cases involved Britons as well; the UK's
population is 0.94% of the world's population) and to a specific time
frame (1980-1996) and in steep *decline*. They sky is NOT falling.

> and certainly the coronary diseases facing meat eaters.

Vegetarians suffer coronary artery diseases, too, Bob. Perhaps you've
already forgotten the thread started by the guy who decided to give the
MacDougall Diet -- an austere vegan diet much like the Ornish plan you
advocate at the drop of a hat even to people without heart disease -- a
try. His triglyceride levels skyrocketed and HDL crashed.

> And the sad fact that most people's phytochemicals comes from coffee
> because their diet is so lacking in produce.

That's not your problem, it's theirs. Mind your own business. From what
you've admitted here, you have your own share of problems.

>> Did you even look at these, dummy?

> You can call me a dummy,

Okay. Dummy.

> which is not statistically or remotely true,

Oh yes it is!

> I'm especially offended by the obscenities you post at good
> woman. Fidyl for example serves her community and he clients.

She lied, Bob. I pointed out her lie. She did nothing to correct it. Not
in 2003 when she posted her BS, not in 2005 when she re-posted it.

> She does much good,

She lied. Lying isn't good.

> but because you disagree on a questionable biography,

There's nothing questionable about it, dummy -- I addressed her
unsupported claims with the very words from the Pilgrims themselves.

> She helps society.

She's a liar. I proved it.

> I help society.

No, you don't.

> And I don't consider Mad Cow Disease the major calamity new media
> stories love.

Bullshit. You overhype it even more than the media do.

> It is a danger.

A very, very tiny and very, very remote danger.

> We face far greater dangers.

Then add that perspective to your incessant Chicken Little imitation
when posting about BSE!

> Excess meat consumption, which is the rule, is a prime factor in cardiovascular
> disorders.

Tell that to the Inuit. Diet is but one risk factor, and even then it's
subject to other risk factors: age, race, sex, diabetes, obesity, family
history, etc.

> Overuse of antibiotics. The transport of nuclear materials
> an burying them under the pimple of the desert, that is not geologically
> stable is probably the biggest danger human, and most higher forms of
> life face.

Nonsense. I addressed this when you raised it before.

> Stop your insults

No.

> You have talent and intelligence,

And you don't.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:

> [...]

>> goes to supporting the local arts. That is a good thing. What do you
>> do that's good. I'd be interested.
>>
>> I have seen many studies that show farmers are ignoring the
>> regulations or unaware of them.
>> And I don't consider Mad Cow Disease the major calamity new media
>> stories love. It is a danger. We face far greater dangers. Excess
>> meat consumption, which is the rule, is a prime factor in cardio
>> vascular disorders. Overuse of antibiotics. The transport of nuclear
>> materials an burying them under the pimple of the desert, that is not
>> geologically stable is probably the biggest danger human, and most
>> higher forms of life face.
>>

>> Stop your insults and you'd be listened to as a more rational human
>> being. You have talent and intelligence, but your constant insults
>> would give anyone cause to wonder about your sanity, if not your basic

That doesn't prove her honesty -- she lied about the first thanksgiving.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

> She lied. Lying isn't good.
>
>> but because you disagree on a questionable biography,

She posted one person's description, you another. Neither of us were
there. What we do know is that the Pilgrims would not have survived the
winter without help from the local tribe, and next generation
exterminated the tribe.

> There's nothing questionable about it, dummy -- I addressed her
> unsupported claims with the very words from the Pilgrims themselves.

She had other data. Say you disagree with her data.
>> She helps society.

What do you do that helps society. She does a lot.

> She's a liar. I proved it.
>
>> I help society.

> No, you don't.

I have helped raise over $500,000 in a 501 C3 organization that promotes
the arts and Toys for Tots in our community.

>> And I don't consider Mad Cow Disease the major calamity new media
>> stories love.

> Bullshit. You overhype it even more than the media do.
>
>> It is a danger.

> A very, very tiny and very, very remote danger.

We have no idea what the extent of the danger is.

>> We face far greater dangers.

> Then add that perspective to your incessant Chicken Little imitation
> when posting about BSE!
>
>> Excess meat consumption, which is the rule, is a prime factor in
>> cardiovascular disorders.

AS a rule it does. But one can still have problems with a vegetarian or
vegan diet. In that case the person you gave as an example didn't
exercise. That's essential as well.

> Tell that to the Inuit. Diet is but one risk factor, and even then it's
> subject to other risk factors: age, race, sex, diabetes, obesity, family
> history, etc.

Perhaps it has a lot to do with a very short life span.
>> Overuse of antibiotics. The transport of nuclear materials an burying
>> them under the pimple of the desert, that is not geologically stable
>> is probably the biggest danger human, and most higher forms of life face.

> Nonsense. I addressed this when you raised it before.

AS far as Yucca It's not nonsense. Their web address is down. I'll post
it when it's up. From the hearings.

As far as developing more antibiotics becoming resistant that's fact.
And the crossover from animals to people is also fact. In Finland they
outlawed the use of antibiotics (except in extreme cases) and guess
what, they had to treat the animals better and the meat was healthier.

BTW, Finland has a much lower incidence of hospital related infection,
MUCH lower than the US.

Bob
>> Stop your insults

> No.
>
>> You have talent and intelligence,

> And you don't.

I have talents and intelligence. But I don't go insulting many people.
You're anti-social behavior is sick. That's not an insult. You should
seek help.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

B-cup Bob wrote:
>> She lied. Lying isn't good.
>>
>>> but because you disagree on a questionable biography,

> She posted one person's description, you another.

No, she spouted off with a suggestion that the first thanksgiving was
vegan. I posted the words from Pilgrims who were there.

> Neither of us were there.

Was, not were. Edward Winslow was there. I quoted from his note dated
December 12, 1621. William Bradford was also there. I quoted from his
History of Plymouth Plantation.

>> There's nothing questionable about it, dummy -- I addressed her
>> unsupported claims with the very words from the Pilgrims themselves.

> She had other data.

She did not have *ANY* data, dumb ass. She made a retarded and
unsupported statement that "Recent findings are coming out" -- which
isn't data -- and then suggested the Pilgrims were vegans. That's
unadulterated bullshit. The two quotes from Pilgrims who were there
demonstrate they ate plenty of meat. She's a ****ing liar, and you're a
disgrace for backing her up when you know damn well that she lied.

> Say you disagree with her data.

What data, Boob?

> What do you do that helps society. She does a lot.

She's a liar. That's not doing much, and it sure as hell isn't
beneficial to society.

>>> You have talent and intelligence,

>> And you don't.

> I have talents and intelligence.