Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default 'Star buys up meat to give to homeless' The West Briton, 25th May 2006

The West Briton, Thursday 25th May 2006

Star buys up meat to give to homeless
=====================================

POP star Morrissey may have sung =3Fmeat is
murder=3F but thanks to the vegetarian rocker the
homeless at the St Petroc=3Fs hostel in Truro got a
veritable meat feast this week.

The former frontman with legendary band
The Smiths was headlining a concert at the Hall
for Cornwall on Tuesday but his contract stated
the venue should be meat-free.

Despite raised eyebrows, this wasn=3Ft a prob-
lem for the venue=3Fs cafe or restaurant - cheese
sandwiches substituted ham and diners had to
make do with veggie dishes.

However, Tuesday Is the day when the Truro
Country Market Is held in the hail and one of the
stallholders happens to be Chris Barrow of
Cornish Country Meats.

Viv Shield, manager of the market, explained:
=3FMost of the stallholders were up-in-arms when
they found out we couldn=3Ft sell meat. They were
defiant and decided to carry on selling it.

=3FHowever, Morrissey=3Fs manager walked
through and noticed Chris=3Fs stall. After some to-
ing and fro-ing he bought up the whole stall and
told us he would donate it to St Petroc=3Fs.=3F

She added: =3FMorrissey=3Fs a huge artist and has
the power to stick to his principles, but he was
actually affecting people=3Fs livelihoods.=3F

Butcher Chris Barrow told The West Briton
the whole incident was =3Funbelievable=3F.
=3FWhen the manager said he would buy the
whole lot I thought he was joking,=3F he said.
=3FHe asked me how much I wanted and I
thought about it and said £200. He took out a wad
of cash and paid it without blinking an eye.
=3FI wish I=3Fd said £300 now.=3F

The meat was later taken to the St Petroc=3Fs
hostel in Richmond Hill, Truro. It consisted of
two bin bags full of sausages, lamb, venison,
sirloin steak, chops, 40 packets of smoked bacon
and 30 packets of sliced ham.

=3FI=3Fve never even heard of Morrissey though I
understand he=3Fs quite a big name,=3F said Chris.
Tim Brinkman, director of the hail, said:
=3FDifferent artists have different demands and
we always try our hardest to accommodate
them.=3F

St Petroc=3Fs chief executive Steve Ellis said:
=3FMorrissey didn=3Ft want his donation publicised
but as It has come out, I=3Fm happy to say we=3Fre
extremely grateful.=3F

Morrissey has always been a staunch ve-
getarian and supporter of animal rights. The
title track of the 1984 Smiths album Meat Is
Murder Is an emotional attack on meat-eaters.
This year he refused to tour in Canada because
of the country=3Fs support of seal clubbing.

Good on ya Morrissey for sticking to your priciples and putting your
money where your mouth is. And what a contrast to the butcher who
admitted he'd have overcharged him if he knew who and why.

vegcurry
Posted to alt.food.vegan

If this story is true then surely Moz would fire this "manager." Meat
is murder. Oh, and replacing meat with "cheese" is hardly a cruelty
free idea.

On Fri, 26 May 2006 00:49:36 +0100, vegcurry
> [...]

>murder=3D3F but thanks to the vegetarian rocker the
>homeless at the St Petroc=3D3Fs hostel in Truro got a
>veritable meat feast this week.
>
>The former frontman with legendary band
>The Smiths was headlining a concert at the Hall
>for Cornwall on Tuesday but his contract stated
>the venue should be meat-free.
>
>Despite raised eyebrows, this wasn=3D3Ft a prob-
>lem for the venue=3D3Fs cafe or restaurant - cheese
>sandwiches substituted ham and diners had to
>make do with veggie dishes.
>
>However, Tuesday Is the day when the Truro
>Country Market Is held in the hail and one of the
>stallholders happens to be Chris Barrow of
>Cornish Country Meats.
>
>Viv Shield, manager of the market, explained:
>=3D3FMost of the stallholders were up-in-arms when
>they found out we couldn=3D3Ft sell meat. They were
>defiant and decided to carry on selling it.
>
>=3D3FHowever, Morrissey=3D3Fs manager walked
>through and noticed Chris=3D3Fs stall. After some to-
>ing and fro-ing he bought up the whole stall and
>told us he would donate it to St Petroc=3D3Fs.=3D3F
>
>She added: =3D3FMorrissey=3D3Fs a huge artist and has
>the power to stick to his principles, but he was
>actually affecting people=3D3Fs livelihoods.=3D3F
>
>Butcher Chris Barrow told The West Briton
>the whole incident was =3D3Funbelievable=3D3F.
>=3D3FWhen the manager said he would buy the
>whole lot I thought he was joking,=3D3F he said.
>=3D3FHe asked me how much I wanted and I
>thought about it and said =A3200. He took out a wad
>of cash and paid it without blinking an eye.
>=3D3FI wish I=3D3Fd said =A3300 now.=3D3F
>
>The meat was later taken to the St Petroc=3D3Fs
>hostel in Richmond Hill, Truro. It consisted of
>two bin bags full of sausages, lamb, venison,
>sirloin steak, chops, 40 packets of smoked bacon
>and 30 packets of sliced ham.
>
>=3D3FI=3D3Fve never even heard of Morrissey though I
>understand he=3D3Fs quite a big name,=3D3F said Chris.
>Tim Brinkman, director of the hail, said:
>=3D3FDifferent artists have different demands and
>we always try our hardest to accommodate
>them.=3D3F
>
>St Petroc=3D3Fs chief executive Steve Ellis said:=20
>=3D3FMorrissey didn=3D3Ft want his donation publicised
>but as It has come out, I=3D3Fm happy to say we=3D3Fre
>extremely grateful.=3D3F
>
>Morrissey has always been a staunch ve-
>getarian and supporter of animal rights. The
>title track of the 1984 Smiths album Meat Is
>Murder Is an emotional attack on meat-eaters.
>This year he refused to tour in Canada because
>of the country=3D3Fs support of seal clubbing.
>
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= 3D=3D=3D
>
>Good on ya Morrissey for sticking to your priciples and putting your=20
>money where your mouth is. And what a contrast to the butcher who=20
>admitted he'd have overcharged him if he knew who and why.=20

Posted to alt.food.vegan

"t.racer" > wrote in message
> If this story is true then surely Moz would fire this
> "manager." Meat
> is murder. Oh, and replacing meat with "cheese" is hardly a
> cruelty
> free idea.

Replacing meat with tofu is not a cruelty-free idea either.