Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment,soc.culture.india,free.bharat

Default MEAT IS HORRIBLE

Meat is Horrible

Hinduism Today Magazine, hinduismtoday.com
July 10, 2016

Source -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b

USA, July 10, 2016 (by Rachel Premack, Washington Post):
It may be delicious, but the evidence is accumulating
that meat, particularly red meat, is just a disaster for
the environment -- and not so great for human beings,
too. By 2050, scientists forecast that emissions from
agriculture alone will account for how much carbon
dioxide the world can use to avoid catastrophic global
warming. It already accounts for one-third of emissions
today -- and half of that comes from livestock. That's a
driving reason why members of a United Nations panel last
month urged its environmental assembly to consider
recommending a tax on meat producers and sellers. By
raising the cost of buying meat, it would ultimately aim
to reduce production and the demand for it.

Maarten Hajer, professor at the Netherlands Utrecht
University, led the environment and food report that
recommended the meat tax. "All of the harmful effects on
the environment and on health needs to be priced into
food products," said Hajer, who is a member of U.N.'s
International Resource Panel, which comprises 34 top
scientists and 30 governments. "I think it is extremely
urgent." But, he added, "Food is very political. In
countries where meat is a cultural mainstay and income
inequality already breeds a lack of food access, it could
be a difficult argument. But, governments must soon move
to limit major carbon producers, Hajer said. Food
companies will naturally be part of that.

The idea of a meat tax has developed over the past 25
years as a "completely obvious" measure to economists and
environmentalists, Hajer said, as knowledge of the
environmental toll of meat emerged. Agriculture consumes
80 percent of water in the United States. For a kilogram
of red meat, you need considerably more water than for
plant products. Governments are starting to take notice.
China, which consumes half of the world's pork and more
than a quarter of its overall meat, announced new dietary
guidelines last week that advises the average citizen to
reduce their meat consumption by one-half.

Denmark went a little further in May. The Danish
government is considering a recommendation from its
ethics council that all red meats should be taxed. Red
meat accounts for 10 percent of all greenhouse gas
emissions, and the council argued that Danes were
"ethically obliged" to reduce their consumption.
Countries such as the Czech Republic and Poland have
dramatically reduced their agricultural carbon output, as
much as a half. But countries that are expanding their
meat-lovers' impulses are doing so at much larger jumps.
Brazil's carbon output from food production has increased
by 47 percent from 2000 to 2012 -- that's an increase of
150 million tons of carbon dioxide. In China, a 35-
percent jump from 1994 to 2005 means 220 million more
tons of carbon dioxide.

Much of that is meat production, which contributes an
estimated 14.5 percent to annual greenhouse gas
emissions. That's more than emissions from every car,
train, ship and airplane combined. Of that, 65 percent is
enteric fermentation [google it] and manure, according to
a 2014 Chatham House analysis. Feed constitutes one-fifth
of that, followed by land-use change, energy use and
post-farm activities. Along with a tax, a meat cutback
could be achieved by making plant-based diets more
appealing and less expensive. People in the West often
think that vegetarianism is a diet for wealthier folks,
Wellesley said. The United States could slash its health-
care spending the most by phasing out meat for
vegetables.

For much more, go to source -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...ble/15240.html

More at:

Hinduism Today Magazine
http://www.hinduismtoday.com

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://bit.do/jaimaharaj
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment

On the point of the large contribution of cattle to climate problems, india
has the most of any country.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment

On the point of eating beef, that was a major food source for the vedic
nomadic cattle herders who entered s. asia some 3000 years ago.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment,soc.culture.india

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> million tons of carbon dioxide. In China, a 35-percent jump from 1994 to
> 2005 means 220 million more tons of carbon dioxide.
>
> Much of that is meat production, which contributes an estimated 14.5
> percent to annual greenhouse gas emissions. That's more than emissions from
> every car, train, ship and airplane combined. Of that, 65 percent is
> enteric fermentation [google it] and manure, according to a 2014 Chatham
> House analysis. Feed constitutes one-fifth of that, followed by land-use
> change, energy use and post-farm activities. Along with a tax, a meat
> cutback could be achieved by making plant-based diets more appealing and
> less expensive. People in the West often think that vegetarianism is a diet
> for wealthier folks, Wellesley said. The United States could slash its
> health-care spending the most by phasing out meat for vegetables.

The Meat-Free Life

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules...hp?itemid=3886

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment,soc.culture.india

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> > million tons of carbon dioxide. In China, a 35-percent jump from 1994 to
> > 2005 means 220 million more tons of carbon dioxide.
> >
> > Much of that is meat production, which contributes an estimated 14.5
> > percent to annual greenhouse gas emissions. That's more than emissions from
> > every car, train, ship and airplane combined. Of that, 65 percent is
> > enteric fermentation [google it] and manure, according to a 2014 Chatham
> > House analysis. Feed constitutes one-fifth of that, followed by land-use
> > change, energy use and post-farm activities. Along with a tax, a meat
> > cutback could be achieved by making plant-based diets more appealing and
> > less expensive. People in the West often think that vegetarianism is a diet
> > for wealthier folks, Wellesley said. The United States could slash its
> > health-care spending the most by phasing out meat for vegetables.

Vegan vs. Vegetarian Diets: How Each Will Impact Your Health

Medical Daily, medicaldaily.com

http://www.medicaldaily.com/vegan-vs...-health-329300

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://bit.ly/1EM9nsg

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment,soc.culture.india

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> > > House analysis. Feed constitutes one-fifth of that, followed by land-use
> > > change, energy use and post-farm activities. Along with a tax, a meat
> > > cutback could be achieved by making plant-based diets more appealing and
> > > less expensive. People in the West often think that vegetarianism is a diet
> > > for wealthier folks, Wellesley said. The United States could slash its
> > > health-care spending the most by phasing out meat for vegetables.
> > >
> > > For much more, go to source -
> > > https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b
> > >
> > > http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...ble/15240.html
> > >
> > > More at:
> > >
> > > Hinduism Today Magazine
> > > http://www.hinduismtoday.com

> > The Meat-Free Life
> >
> > http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules...hp?itemid=3886

> Vegan vs. Vegetarian Diets: How Each Will Impact Your Health

The Digestive Perks Of Being A Vegetarian

Yahoo Health, yahoo.com

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-dig...938082363.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://ow.ly/UIz9w
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment,soc.culture.india

> [...]
> cutback could be achieved by making plant-based diets more appealing and
> less expensive. People in the West often think that vegetarianism is a diet
> for wealthier folks, Wellesley said. The United States could slash its
> health-care spending the most by phasing out meat for vegetables.
>
> For much more, go to source -
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b
>
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...ble/15240.html
>
> More at:
>
> Hinduism Today Magazine
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com
>
> The Meat-Free Life
>
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules...hp?itemid=3886
>
> Vegan vs. Vegetarian Diets: How Each Will Impact Your Health
>
> Medical Daily, medicaldaily.com
>
> http://www.medicaldaily.com/vegan-vs...-health-329300
>
> The Digestive Perks Of Being A Vegetarian

6 Essentials for Your Vegan Kitchen

The Huffington Post, huffingtonpost.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/one-gr...b_3680076.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://tinyurl.com/JaiMaharaj
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,uk.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.environment,soc.culture.india

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> cutback could be achieved by making plant-based diets more appealing and
> less expensive. People in the West often think that vegetarianism is a diet
> for wealthier folks, Wellesley said. The United States could slash its
> health-care spending the most by phasing out meat for vegetables.
>
> For much more, go to source -
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b
>
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...ble/15240.html
>
> More at:
>
> Hinduism Today Magazine
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com
>
> The Meat-Free Life
>
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules...hp?itemid=3886
>
> Vegan vs. Vegetarian Diets: How Each Will Impact Your Health
>
> Medical Daily, medicaldaily.com
>
> http://www.medicaldaily.com/vegan-vs...-health-329300
>
> The Digestive Perks Of Being A Vegetarian

Former Ronald McDonald Turns Vegetarian Activist

Hinduism Today Magazine, hinduismtoday.com

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules...php?itemid=804

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://preview.tinyurl.com/JaiMaharaj