Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa

Default Vegetarians Cut Heart Disease Risk By 32 Percent

Vegetarians Cut Heart Risk By 32%

United Kingdom, January 30, 2013 (BBC): Ditching meat and
fish in favour of a vegetarian diet can have a dramatic
effect on the health of your heart, research suggests. A
study of 44,500 people in England and Scotland showed
vegetarians were 32% less likely to die or need hospital
treatment as a result of heart disease.

Differences in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and
body weight are thought to be behind the health boost.
The findings were published in the American Journal of
Clinical Nutrition. The results showed the vegetarians
had lower blood pressure, lower levels of "bad"
cholesterol and were more likely to have a healthy
weight.

Continues at:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...32-/12682.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion

Default Vegetarians Cut Heart Disease Risk By 32 Percent (compared towhat?)

Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Vegetarians Cut Heart Risk By 32%

Statistics like this tend to be misleading because they compare
vegetarian diets against a wide range of diets that include meat, many
of which are patently unhealthy. I'd rather see a study comparing
vegetarian diets against well balanced diets that include some meat but
exclude fast food and highly processed foods, diets with healthy levels
of fats, sugar and salt. That would tell a different story.

Having said that, I'd rather have a slightly higher risk of heart
disease and enjoy my life.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> Vegetarians Cut Heart Risk By 32%
>
> United Kingdom, January 30, 2013 (BBC): Ditching meat and
> fish in favour of a vegetarian diet can have a dramatic
> effect on the health of your heart, research suggests. A
> study of 44,500 people in England and Scotland showed
> vegetarians were 32% less likely to die or need hospital
> treatment as a result of heart disease.
>
> Differences in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and
> body weight are thought to be behind the health boost.
> The findings were published in the American Journal of
> Clinical Nutrition. The results showed the vegetarians
> had lower blood pressure, lower levels of "bad"
> cholesterol and were more likely to have a healthy
> weight.
>
> Continues at:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...32-/12682.html

Vegetarians 'cut heart risk by 32%'

By James Gallagher
Health and science reporter, BBC News
January 30, 2013

Ditching meat and fish in favour of a vegetarian diet can
have a dramatic effect on the health of your heart,
research suggests.

A study of 44,500 people in England and Scotland showed
vegetarians were 32% less likely to die or need hospital
treatment as a result of heart disease.

Differences in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and
body weight are thought to be behind the health boost.

The findings were published in the American Journal of
Clinical Nutrition.

Heart disease is a major blight in Western countries. It
kills 94,000 people in the UK each year, more than any
other disease, and 2.6 million people live with the
condition.

The heart's own blood supply becomes blocked up by fatty
deposits in the arteries that nourish the heart muscle.
It can cause angina or even lead to a heart attack if the
blood vessels become completely blocked.

Continues at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21258509

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion

On 2/1/2013 1:49 PM, Dutch wrote:
> Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>> Vegetarians Cut Heart Risk By 32%

> Statistics like this tend to be misleading because they compare
> vegetarian diets against a wide range of diets that include meat, many
> of which are patently unhealthy. I'd rather see a study comparing
> vegetarian diets against well balanced diets that include some meat but
> exclude fast food and highly processed foods, diets with healthy levels
> of fats, sugar and salt. That would tell a different story.
>
> Having said that, I'd rather have a slightly higher risk of heart
> disease and enjoy my life.

So you saw that the jyotishithead, Jay Stevens - not a doctor, not a
Hindo - just reposted more of the same in response to your post?

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> > Vegetarians Cut Heart Risk By 32%
> >
> > United Kingdom, January 30, 2013 (BBC): Ditching meat and
> > fish in favour of a vegetarian diet can have a dramatic
> > effect on the health of your heart, research suggests. A
> > study of 44,500 people in England and Scotland showed
> > vegetarians were 32% less likely to die or need hospital
> > treatment as a result of heart disease.
> >
> > Differences in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and
> > body weight are thought to be behind the health boost.
> > The findings were published in the American Journal of
> > Clinical Nutrition. The results showed the vegetarians
> > had lower blood pressure, lower levels of "bad"
> > cholesterol and were more likely to have a healthy
> > weight.
> >
> > Continues at:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/blogs-n...32-/12682.html

> Vegetarians 'cut heart risk by 32%'
>
> By James Gallagher
> Health and science reporter, BBC News
> January 30, 2013
>
> Ditching meat and fish in favour of a vegetarian diet can
> have a dramatic effect on the health of your heart,
> research suggests.
>
> A study of 44,500 people in England and Scotland showed
> vegetarians were 32% less likely to die or need hospital
> treatment as a result of heart disease.
>
> Differences in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and
> body weight are thought to be behind the health boost.
>
> The findings were published in the American Journal of
> Clinical Nutrition.
>
> Heart disease is a major blight in Western countries. It
> kills 94,000 people in the UK each year, more than any
> other disease, and 2.6 million people live with the
> condition.
>
> The heart's own blood supply becomes blocked up by fatty
> deposits in the arteries that nourish the heart muscle.
> It can cause angina or even lead to a heart attack if the
> blood vessels become completely blocked.
>
> Continues at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21258509

Meat-eaters have higher blood pressure,are more
hypertensive

Many studies have compared the blood pressure levels of
people who have different diet-styles. Even when the
data have been adjusted to eliminate salt as a variable,
the following pattern is consistent:

Blood Pressure Levels (highest ranked first)

1. Meat eaters
2. Lacto-ovo vegetarians
3. Pure vegetarians

- Burr, M., 'Plasma Cholesterol and Blood Pressure in
Vegetarians,' Journal of Human Nutrition, 35:437, 1981.

- Sacks, F., 'Blood Pressure in Vegetarians,' American
Journal of Epidemiology, 100:390, 1974.

- Armstrong, B., '. . . Blood Pressure in Vegetarians,'
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 32:2472, 1979.

- Ophir, O., 'Low Blood Pressure in Vegetarians,'
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 37:755, 1983.

- Kaplan, N., 'Non-Drug Treatment of Hypertension,'
Annals of Internal Medicine, 102:359, 1985.

- Editorial, 'Lowering Blood Pressure Without Drugs,'
Lancet, 2:459, 1980.

- Rouse, I., 'Blood Pressure Lowering Effect of a
Vegetarian Diet . . .,' Lancet, 1:5, 1983."

Excerpts and sources are from "Diet For A New America" by
John Robbins; Stillpoint; 1987.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion

George Plimpton wrote:
> On 2/1/2013 1:49 PM, Dutch wrote:
>> Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>>> Vegetarians Cut Heart Risk By 32%

>> Statistics like this tend to be misleading because they compare
>> vegetarian diets against a wide range of diets that include meat, many
>> of which are patently unhealthy. I'd rather see a study comparing
>> vegetarian diets against well balanced diets that include some meat but
>> exclude fast food and highly processed foods, diets with healthy levels
>> of fats, sugar and salt. That would tell a different story.
>>
>> Having said that, I'd rather have a slightly higher risk of heart
>> disease and enjoy my life.

> So you saw that the jyotishithead, Jay Stevens - not a doctor, not a
> Hindo - just reposted more of the same in response to your post?

Talking head syndrome. Of course Fake Hindoo Jay isn't interested in
rational debate, or good health, he is just proselytizing his faux religion.