Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food,alt.support.diet,sci.med.nutrition,misc.kids.pregnancy

Default EATING PREGNANT: Another Dietary Hoax?

You buying this crap?

"The babies are feasting on the flavored amniotic fluid, forming
memories of these flavors even before birth. These memories result in
preferences for these foods or odors for a lifetime."

=====================

"Influence Your Child's Palate Before Birth"

By JULIE NA
ABC News
Aug. 9, 2011

Want to instill in your child a love of vegetables? Start early. Very
early.

New research by the Monell Chemical Senses Center finds mothers can
influence a baby's palate and food memories before it is born. The
study finds that what a woman eats during her pregnancy shapes the
baby's food preferences later in life.

In the womb, the baby is surrounded and nourished on the amniotic
fluid, which is filled with the flavors of what the mom has eaten.

"Things like vanilla, carrot, garlic, anise, mint -- these are some of
the flavors that have been shown to be transmitted to amniotic fluid
or mother's milk," Julie Mennella, a researcher at Monell, told
National Public Radio.
PHOTO: New research by the Monell Chemical Senses Center finds parents
can influence a baby's tastes and food memories before they are born.
Getty Images
New research by the Monell Chemical Senses... View Full Size
Women Giving Birth in Their Forties Watch Video
How to Change Your Diet if Planning for Pregnancy Watch Video
Avoiding Pregnancy Complications Watch Video

The babies are feasting on the flavored amniotic fluid, forming
memories of these flavors even before birth. These memories result in
preferences for these foods or odors for a lifetime.

For example, eating broccoli while pregnant means there's a better
chance your baby will like broccoli more than another baby would,
whose mother did not eat broccoli.

Very early exposure to flavors, before and after birth, and
reinforcement of those flavors make it more likely that children will
accept a wide variety of flavors.

Researchers say this helps explain why kids from countries with more
adventurous menus enjoy more diverse foods than a child exposed to
American peanut butter and jelly and chicken nuggets.

The lesson: If you want your children to eat a healthy diet or more
adventurous diet, you should expose them to all the right, healthy
flavors early on. Very early on.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/child-v...1#.TtAtw1b4Kug

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food,alt.support.diet,sci.med.nutrition,misc.kids.pregnancy

On 26/11/2011 10:25 AM, KissMama'sHeinie wrote:
> You buying this crap?
>
> "The babies are feasting on the flavored amniotic fluid, forming
> memories of these flavors even before birth. These memories result in
> preferences for these foods or odors for a lifetime."
>
> =====================

This is a load of rubbish, "flavours" don't get into amniotic fluid.
Besides, with good parenting kids eat what they are told to eat. I have
never had a kid refuse to eat anything, and I didn't have to beat them
into submission to make them do it. They ate what was put on their
plates, and only healthy food was put on their plates.

Modern parenting, striking "deals" with kids is a ludicrous concept.
Consistent, unvarying discipline is all that is required. Kids in the
past did what they were told, modern kids are allowed to do what they
like. It is why we have uncontrolled teenage hoodlums roaming our
streets, they are the end product of liberal parenting. They have no
respect, no self control, no fear of authority. They are feral.

I carry a weapon when I am out of an evening, simply for protection
against groups of violent teenage thugs. I have had to use it several
times, but only as a threat - so far. One day that might change.