Old 05-11-2010, 04:05 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.food.vegan,misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes

Default VEGAN DIET REVERSES DIABETES SYMPTOMS, STUDY FINDS

Since this has been posted the same day I got my new lab results, I think it
is interesting to compare my results to the study results, see below
interleaved.

and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote in
message news:[email protected]
Vegan diet reverses diabetes symptoms, study finds

Washington (Reuters) - People who ate a low-fat vegan diet, cutting
out all meat and dairy, lowered their blood sugar more and lost more
weight than people on a standard American Diabetes Association diet,
researchers said on Thursday.

They lowered their cholesterol more and ended up with better kidney
function, according to the report published in Diabetes Care, a
journal published by the American Diabetes Association.

"I hope this study will rekindle interest in using diet changes
first, rather than prescription drugs," Dr. Neal Barnard, president
of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, which helped
conduct the study, told a news conference.

Barnard's team and colleagues at George Washington University, the
University of Toronto and the University of North Carolina tested 99
people with type 2 diabetes, assigning them randomly to either a low-
fat, low-sugar vegan diet or the standard American Diabetes
Association diet.

After 22 weeks on the diet, 43 percent of those on the vegan diet and
26 percent of those on the standard diet were either able to stop
taking some of their drugs such as insulin or glucose-control
medications, or lowered the doses.

The vegan dieters lost 14 pounds (6.5 kg) on average while the
diabetes association dieters lost 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg).

I lost 11 pounds in 17 weeks on the low-carb regimen.

An important level of glucose control called a1c fell by 1.23 points
in the vegan group and by 0.38 in the group on the standard diet.

My a1c fell by 1.1 points over the 17-week low-carb regimen.

DROPPING DRUGS

A1c gives a measure of how well controlled blood sugar has been over
the preceding three months.

In the dieters who did not change whatever cholesterol drugs they
were on during the study, LDL or "bad" cholesterol fell by 21 percent
in the vegan group and 10 percent in the standard diet group.

My LDL fell 25% in the 17 weeks of low-carb regimen. I did not change my
cholesterol drug during this time. I'm going to talk to my doctor about
experimenting with dropping it.

The vegan diet removed all animal products, including meat, fish and
dairy. It was also low in added fat and in sugar.

I eat 3 ounces of full-fat cheese every day for breakfast, accompanied by
usually a whole raw green pepper but sometimes by a head of romaine lettuce.
Most days include 1 to 2 ounces of nuts (almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts)
either as a snack or part of a meal. Many days also include 2 to 3 eggs,
usually hardboiled. Dinner almost always includes a serving of either
chicken breast, ground turkey, tilapia or salmon; steamed vegetables
(usually broccoli and/or cauliflower), and a salad of raw baby spinach and
roma tomato with Caesar dressing; 1/4 apple for dessert. Lunch varies, main
dish may be eggs, sardines, tuna with Miracle Whip light, or a Trader Joe's
soy Italian sausage; will be accompanied by usually a raw zucchini, possibly
also other vegetables. I try to fit in an ounce of raw baby carrots,
usually they are part of my afternoon snack. Lately lunch has frequently
been 2 oz of peanuts with skins and 2 large sticks of celery. When I get a
craving for "carby" food I eat a low-carb tortilla (usually with hummus, but
sometimes with Smart Balance Light) or some garbanzo beans. I do chew
sugarless gum and also eat about three pieces of sugarless hard candy per
day.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 AM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.food.vegan,misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes

"Ellen K." wrote in message
[...]

I went on a raw vegan diet when I was first diagnosed with food allergies.
I didn't lose any weight.