magnulus

"Dutch" > wrote in message

> "magnulus" > wrote
>
> > The word "vegetarian" doesn't come from the word "vegetable", although
> > both words have similar origins in Latin. Just because a food is not a
> > vegetable, doesn't mean it isn't necessarily vegetarian.

> The most widely understood meaning of vegetarian is a person who does not
> eat meat.

Bingo.

Digger

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 05:34:41 -0400, "magnulus" > wrote:
>"Dutch" > wrote in message ...
>> "magnulus" > wrote
>>
>> > The word "vegetarian" doesn't come from the word "vegetable", although
>> > both words have similar origins in Latin. Just because a food is not a
>> > vegetable, doesn't mean it isn't necessarily vegetarian.

>> The most widely understood meaning of vegetarian is a person who does not
>> eat meat.

> Bingo.

Then why do you announce yourself as a vegetarian while
inwardly referring to another definition of vegetarian? Why
not be honest with yourself and others, and refer to yourself
as a meat eater like other meat eaters do. Why pretend you're
someone you aren't?

Digger

Digger > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 05:34:41 -0400, "magnulus" > wrote:
> >"Dutch" > wrote in message ...
> >> "magnulus" > wrote

> >> The most widely understood meaning of vegetarian is a person who does not
> >> eat meat.

> > Bingo.

> Then why do you announce yourself as a vegetarian while
> inwardly referring to another definition of vegetarian? Why
> not be honest with yourself and others, and refer to yourself
> as a meat eater like other meat eaters do. Why pretend you're
> someone you aren't?

That's a good question, Dreck. So why don't you answer it?
magnulus

"Digger" > wrote in message
> Then why do you announce yourself as a vegetarian while
> inwardly referring to another definition of vegetarian? Why
> not be honest with yourself and others, and refer to yourself
> as a meat eater like other meat eaters do. Why pretend you're
> someone you aren't?

Because I don't eat meat.

Digger

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:41:55 -0400, "magnulus" > wrote:
>"Digger" > wrote in message ...
>>
>> Then why do you announce yourself as a vegetarian while
>> inwardly referring to another definition of vegetarian? Why
>> not be honest with yourself and others, and refer to yourself
>> as a meat eater like other meat eaters do. Why pretend you're
>> someone you aren't?
>>

> Because I don't eat meat.

That alone does not make one a vegetarian, especially
while eating animal products such as milk and eggs.
A vegetarian is usually thought of as someone whose
diet consists primarily or wholly of vegetables and
vegetable products, as stated in the dictionary.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegetarian

Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

Dutch

"Digger" > wrote
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:41:55 -0400, "magnulus" >
> wrote:
>>"Digger" > wrote
>>>
>>> Then why do you announce yourself as a vegetarian while
>>> inwardly referring to another definition of vegetarian? Why
>>> not be honest with yourself and others, and refer to yourself
>>> as a meat eater like other meat eaters do. Why pretend you're
>>> someone you aren't?
>>>

>> Because I don't eat meat.

> That alone does not make one a vegetarian,

Yes it does.

> especially
> while eating animal products such as milk and eggs.
> A vegetarian is usually thought of as someone whose
> diet consists primarily or wholly of vegetables and
> vegetable products, as stated in the dictionary.
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegetarian
>
> Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
> you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

That's exactly what you are doing. You are attempting to hijack the word
vegetarian to mean the same as vegan. A vegan diet cannot include dairy
products, a vegetarian diet sometimes does. Read what you posted right
above, "vegetarian is usually thought of as someone whose diet consists
***primarily*** or wholly of vegetables.."

Digger

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:09:09 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Digger" > wrote
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:41:55 -0400, "magnulus" > wrote:
>>>"Digger" > wrote

>>> Because I don't eat meat.

>> That alone does not make one a vegetarian,

>Yes it does.

It cannot, since suckling lion cubs don't eat meat,
and they're certainly not vegetarians because of
that, dummy.

>> especially
>> while eating animal products such as milk and eggs.
>> A vegetarian is usually thought of as someone whose
>> diet consists primarily or wholly of vegetables and
>> vegetable products, as stated in the dictionary.
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegetarian

If you have to jump into the middle of a paragraph
to refute it, at least have the decency to explain why
you're refuting it instead of just leaving three words
contesting it.

>> Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
>> you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

>That's exactly what you are doing. You are attempting to hijack the word
>vegetarian to mean the same as vegan.

A vegetarian is someone whose diet consists primarily
or wholly of vegetables and vegetable products, as
stated in the dictionary.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegeta
A vegan is someone whose diet is the same as that of
a vegetarian but also excludes animal products from
other areas of his lifestyle as well, such as leather, fur
and certain types of glue, etc.
C. James Strutz

"Digger" > wrote in message

> A vegetarian is someone whose diet consists primarily
> or wholly of vegetables and vegetable products, as
> stated in the dictionary.
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegeta
> A vegan is someone whose diet is the same as that of
> a vegetarian but also excludes animal products from
> other areas of his lifestyle as well, such as leather, fur
> and certain types of glue, etc.

There are several variations of "vegetarian" that don't work well with
your description. Some definitions include eggs and/or dairy while
other definitions even include fish (pesco-vegetarian). You can see
they aren't necesssarily "vegetables and vegetable products". It's
also unclear whether your term "vegetable and vegetable products"
includes fruits, legumes, fungi and other foods that are not strictly
vegetable products.

Your definition of ethical "vegan" doesn't say anything about
exploitation of animals. That is the primary reason that people become
ethical vegans. We've been all over your attempts to torpedo the
exploitation issue and you are deluding yourself. Exploitation is the
primary issue for ethical vegans. Period.

Vegans typically do NOT eat any animal products, including eggs or
dairy. Your statement that a "vegan is someone whose diet is the same
as that of a vegetarian" is clearly very wrong.

You don't have a clue what "vegetarian" or "vegan" are.

Dutch

wrote:

> >> That alone does not make one a vegetarian,

> >Yes it does.

> It cannot, since suckling lion cubs don't eat meat,
> and they're certainly not vegetarians because of
> that,

Which illustrates my other point, that dietary categories are not indicated
or differentiated in suckling infants. A dietary class applies to a child or
adult who has chosen or had a diet chosen for them. In the case of other
animals it is predetermined by specie.

A vegetarian is a person who does not eat meat. It is understood by everyone
with a functioning brain that does not apply to newborns.

C. James Strutz

"Digger" > wrote in message

> A vegetarian is someone whose diet consists primarily
> or wholly of vegetables and vegetable products, as
> stated in the dictionary.
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegeta
> A vegan is someone whose diet is the same as that of
> a vegetarian but also excludes animal products from
> other areas of his lifestyle as well, such as leather, fur
> and certain types of glue, etc.

There are several variations of "vegetarian" that don't work well with
your description. Some definitions include eggs and/or dairy while
other definitions even include fish (pesco-vegetarian). You can see
they aren't necesssarily "vegetables and vegetable products". It's
also unclear whether your term "vegetable and vegetable products"
includes fruits, legumes, fungi and other foods that are not strictly
vegetable products.

Your definition of ethical "vegan" doesn't say anything about
exploitation of animals. That is the primary reason that people become
ethical vegans. We've been all over your attempts to torpedo the
exploitation issue and you are deluding yourself. Exploitation is the
primary issue for ethical vegans. Period.

Vegans typically do NOT eat any animal products, including eggs or
dairy. Your statement that a "vegan is someone whose diet is the same
as that of a vegetarian" is clearly very wrong.

You don't have a clue what "vegetarian" or "vegan" are.

Dutch

wrote:

> >> That alone does not make one a vegetarian,

> >Yes it does.

> It cannot, since suckling lion cubs don't eat meat,
> and they're certainly not vegetarians because of
> that,

Which illustrates my other point, that dietary categories are not indicated
or differentiated in suckling infants. A dietary class applies to a child or
adult who has chosen or had a diet chosen for them. In the case of other
animals it is predetermined by specie.

A vegetarian is a person who does not eat meat. It is understood by everyone
with a functioning brain that does not apply to newborns.

Digger

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:09:09 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Digger" > wrote
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:41:55 -0400, "magnulus" > wrote:
>>>"Digger" > wrote

>>> Because I don't eat meat.

>> That alone does not make one a vegetarian,

>Yes it does.

It cannot, since suckling lion cubs don't eat meat,
and they're certainly not vegetarians because of
that, dummy.

>> especially
>> while eating animal products such as milk and eggs.
>> A vegetarian is usually thought of as someone whose
>> diet consists primarily or wholly of vegetables and
>> vegetable products, as stated in the dictionary.
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegetarian

If you have to jump into the middle of a paragraph
to refute it, at least have the decency to explain why
you're refuting it instead of just leaving three words
contesting it.

>> Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
>> you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

>That's exactly what you are doing. You are attempting to hijack the word
>vegetarian to mean the same as vegan.

A vegetarian is someone whose diet consists primarily
or wholly of vegetables and vegetable products, as
stated in the dictionary.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegeta
A vegan is someone whose diet is the same as that of
a vegetarian but also excludes animal products from
other areas of his lifestyle as well, such as leather, fur
and certain types of glue, etc.
John Coleman

> Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
> you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

so what is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian?

John

rick etter

"John Coleman" > wrote in message

>> Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
>> you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

> so what is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian?
> ========================

A weak-willed wannbe that doesn't have a clue. Oh, kinda like you, eh
killer?

No matter how many adjectives you try to put in front, it still means you
aren't vegetarian....

> John

rick etter

"John Coleman" > wrote in message

>> Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
>> you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

> so what is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian?
> ========================

A weak-willed wannbe that doesn't have a clue. Oh, kinda like you, eh
killer?

No matter how many adjectives you try to put in front, it still means you
aren't vegetarian....

> John

John Coleman

> Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
> you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.

so what is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian?

John

Digger

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:41:55 -0400, "magnulus" > wrote:
>"Digger" > wrote in message ...
>>
>> Then why do you announce yourself as a vegetarian while
>> inwardly referring to another definition of vegetarian? Why
>> not be honest with yourself and others, and refer to yourself
>> as a meat eater like other meat eaters do. Why pretend you're
>> someone you aren't?
>>

> Because I don't eat meat.

That alone does not make one a vegetarian, especially
while eating animal products such as milk and eggs.
A vegetarian is usually thought of as someone whose
diet consists primarily or wholly of vegetables and
vegetable products, as stated in the dictionary.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vegetarian

Milk and eggs aren't vegetarian, no matter how much
you equivocate on the term and try to hijack it.
magnulus

"Digger" > wrote in message
> Then why do you announce yourself as a vegetarian while
> inwardly referring to another definition of vegetarian? Why
> not be honest with yourself and others, and refer to yourself
> as a meat eater like other meat eaters do. Why pretend you're
> someone you aren't?

Because I don't eat meat.

Dan Congs considered bitter? Rainy Tea 5 11-10-2008 03:49 AM
Have You Considered Raccoon...??? Gregory Morrow[_34_] General Cooking 1 18-01-2008 02:27 PM
why is breast feeding considered vegan? magnulus Vegan 42 07-11-2004 03:48 AM
Why is fried food considered unhealthy? Saerah General Cooking 46 31-07-2004 08:11 AM