Saerah

Default Why is fried food considered unhealthy?

Callum C wrote in message ...
>Hi there,
>
>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?
>
>Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
>something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
>them unhealthy?
>
>The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
>become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
>well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>
>Thoughts please.

only thought: duh.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

" I, as a good human being, love nonsense. It helps me understand the
world I live in.
- Carl Sherman

Saerah

Callum C wrote in message ...
>Hi there,
>
>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?
>
>Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
>something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
>them unhealthy?
>
>The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
>become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
>well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>
>Thoughts please.

only thought: duh.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

" I, as a good human being, love nonsense. It helps me understand the
world I live in.
- Carl Sherman

Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:06 -0700, "Callum C"
> wrote:

>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?
>
>Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
>something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
>them unhealthy?
>
>The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
>become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
>well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.

When you combine high carbohydrate foods with high fat foods, you're
looking at trouble. The combination of the two is what increases your risk
for heart disease, the way I understand it. YMMV, etc., etc.

So it seems that low-fat is good, and low-carb is good, but a high-fat and
high-carb combination is very unhealthy. I'm using low-carb to control my
blood sugars, and am losing weight in the bargain.

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:06 -0700, "Callum C"
> wrote:

>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?
>
>Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
>something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
>them unhealthy?
>
>The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
>become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
>well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.

When you combine high carbohydrate foods with high fat foods, you're
looking at trouble. The combination of the two is what increases your risk
for heart disease, the way I understand it. YMMV, etc., etc.

So it seems that low-fat is good, and low-carb is good, but a high-fat and
high-carb combination is very unhealthy. I'm using low-carb to control my
blood sugars, and am losing weight in the bargain.

Carol
Peter Aitken

"Callum C" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
> Why is this?
>
> Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
> something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
> them unhealthy?
>
> The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
> become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
> well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>
> Thoughts please.
>
> Callum

You've got it - fried foods are oily and therefore contain a lot of
calories. The fact is that properly fried food contain very little oil, but
even the best fried shrimp or potato will contain more calories than if
cooked another way.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Callum C" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
> Why is this?
>
> Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
> something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
> them unhealthy?
>
> The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
> become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
> well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>
> Thoughts please.
>
> Callum

You've got it - fried foods are oily and therefore contain a lot of
calories. The fact is that properly fried food contain very little oil, but
even the best fried shrimp or potato will contain more calories than if
cooked another way.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Saerah" > wrote in message

> Callum C wrote in message ...
> >Hi there,
> >
> >It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
> >
> >Why is this?
> >
> >Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is

it
> >something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
> >them unhealthy?
> >
> >The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the

fries
> >become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
> >well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
> >
> >Thoughts please.

> only thought: duh.
>
> --

Such a useful and courteous response. Thank you so much.

--
Peter Aitken

Anthony Ewell

Callum C wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
> Why is this?
>
> Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
> something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
> them unhealthy?
>
> The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
> become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
> well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>
> Thoughts please.
>
> Callum

Hi Callum,

I do believe it is the type of oils used that they are complaining
about. I do know that fast food places are critized for not changing
their oils often enough, as there is a chemical change that happens
after being used for extended periods of time. (Unfortunately, I
do not remember the details of the chemical changes.)

Just an aside. It is said that "health food" does not make
you live longer. It just seems that way.

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

Anthony Ewell

Callum C wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
> Why is this?
>
> Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
> something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
> them unhealthy?
>
> The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
> become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
> well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>
> Thoughts please.
>
> Callum

Hi Callum,

I do believe it is the type of oils used that they are complaining
about. I do know that fast food places are critized for not changing
their oils often enough, as there is a chemical change that happens
after being used for extended periods of time. (Unfortunately, I
do not remember the details of the chemical changes.)

Just an aside. It is said that "health food" does not make
you live longer. It just seems that way.

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.
-------------------------

Saerah

Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>"Saerah" > wrote in message
>>
>> Callum C wrote in message ...
>> >Hi there,
>> >
>> >It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>> >
>> >Why is this?
>> >
>> >Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is

>it
>> >something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried

makes
>> >them unhealthy?
>> >
>> >The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the

>fries
>> >become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
>> >well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>> >
>> >Thoughts please.

>> only thought: duh.
>>
>> --

>Such a useful and courteous response. Thank you so much.

you're welcome.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

" I, as a good human being, love nonsense. It helps me understand the
world I live in.
- Carl Sherman

Saerah

Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>"Saerah" > wrote in message
>>
>> Callum C wrote in message ...
>> >Hi there,
>> >
>> >It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>> >
>> >Why is this?
>> >
>> >Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is

>it
>> >something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried

makes
>> >them unhealthy?
>> >
>> >The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the

>fries
>> >become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
>> >well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>> >
>> >Thoughts please.

>> only thought: duh.
>>
>> --

>Such a useful and courteous response. Thank you so much.

you're welcome.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

" I, as a good human being, love nonsense. It helps me understand the
world I live in.
- Carl Sherman

Damaeus

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Callum C" >
posted on Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:06 -0700:

> Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
> something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
> them unhealthy?
>
> The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
> become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
> well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.

I don't think fried food is unhealthy, but it can be expensive if you do it
often. Plus, frying food until it's overcooked can't be good for you,
either.

A friend of mine is in a family with five professional, educated chefs and
he's picked up a lot over the years. He's learned that the oil for frying
should only be used once, then should be thrown away. But I don't know of
many people who discard oil that's been used only once. I know a friend of
mine will keep using the same oil until it turns brown, and then he'll
throw it out. To me, that sounds unhealthy.

When I was in high school, I worked for McDonald's from around September of
1987 through around February of 1988. Back then, they used animal fat for
frying french fries, and we used the same fat for about three days before
we changed it. Each night we had to drain the grease through a filter and
into a tub on wheels. We cleaned and scrubbed the rather hot oil vat with
some kind of edible cleanser. We wiped up the excess a little and pumped
the oil back into the fryer to be used the next day.

I heard that's been made illegal now. Oil must now be discarded at the end
of each day.

Biodiesel, anyone?
Callum C

On the whole I would like to thank you for your responses.

I asked the question because, simply, I wanted to know the answer.

Although I have an interest in food, I am not particularly knowledgeable in
this field and hence the question.

Thanks again,

Callum

Frogleg

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:06 -0700, "Callum C"
> wrote:

>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?

They're not. They ARE high fat and high calorie. Fries/chips gather a
certain amount of the cooking fat. Additionally, many other fried
foods are first coated in a batter or crumb mixture, which adds more
calories.

It's sort of like saying ice cream is "unhealthy." It's simply
calorie-dense. There's a show on FoodTV in which the host often
presents a choice: "which would you rather have? This?" (pointing to a
small wedge of pie) "or this?" (pointing to a tray with an array of
fruits & veg). Same number of calories, but considerably more volume
and vitamins in the fruit & veg.
Frogleg

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:06 -0700, "Callum C"
> wrote:

>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?

They're not. They ARE high fat and high calorie. Fries/chips gather a
certain amount of the cooking fat. Additionally, many other fried
foods are first coated in a batter or crumb mixture, which adds more
calories.

It's sort of like saying ice cream is "unhealthy." It's simply
calorie-dense. There's a show on FoodTV in which the host often
presents a choice: "which would you rather have? This?" (pointing to a
small wedge of pie) "or this?" (pointing to a tray with an array of
fruits & veg). Same number of calories, but considerably more volume
and vitamins in the fruit & veg.
Frogleg

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:06 -0700, "Callum C"
> wrote:

>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?

They're not. They ARE high fat and high calorie. Fries/chips gather a
certain amount of the cooking fat. Additionally, many other fried
foods are first coated in a batter or crumb mixture, which adds more
calories.

It's sort of like saying ice cream is "unhealthy." It's simply
calorie-dense. There's a show on FoodTV in which the host often
presents a choice: "which would you rather have? This?" (pointing to a
small wedge of pie) "or this?" (pointing to a tray with an array of
fruits & veg). Same number of calories, but considerably more volume
and vitamins in the fruit & veg.
Larry Smith

Callum C wrote:

> It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.

Frying does add some fat to food. In the world of the
Politically Correct Food Police, Fat is Bad, so any
food that has any fat - particularly added fat, like in
fried foods - is Evil and Bad and Must Be Eliminated
From the Proper Diet.

The real truth, as is so often the case, is much more
complicated. If you fry foods in oil that has not
broken down from over-use and don't overcook, the
added fat is actually quite small. The whole point
of the boiling oil is to heat the food, and food
contains water - if you do it properly the pressure
of the steam from the surface of the food holds the
oil at bay (this is one reason why fried foods are
often battered or otherwise treated with some sort
of buffer - the chemical action now takes place in
the batter, rather than the food).

Naturally if you fry something too long the
food dries out and then absorbs the oil, thus
becoming greasy, and if you use old oil that has
begun to break down, the temperature never reaches
high enough to fry properly, and again, the food
gets soggy with oil. Foods turned greasy this
way have an enormous load of fat with their
nutrients.

Now, Atkins has shown fairly conclusively that
fat per se is not bad - the link between dietary
fat and cholesterol in the arteries is not that
straightforward. While foods turned greasy by
overcooking or old oil are probably not very good
for you, foods cooked properly in fresh oil are
probably not very bad for you. But this is counter
to the message the Food Police want you to hear,
and so you get the constant litany "Fat is Bad".

> The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
> become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
> well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.

You get some oil but if the chips/fries are done
properly, not all that much. The biggest objection
to chips and fries is not usually fat (though that
is Evil and Wrong according to the Food Police) but
that they are often loaded with salt. Salt is Evil
and Wrong, too, according to the Food Police, so the
combination is Completely Evil and Should Be Outlawed.

In truth, once again, it is not so simple. The Salt
is Bad mantra is based on studies of blood pressure
that were skewed by a small number of people who really
are very sensitive to it. To these people, salt leads
directly to high blood pressure - _really_ high blood
pressure - and can quickly lead to heart problems and
stroke. But in most people - the vast majority, in
fact - salt has no real effect.

Salt does slightly increase blood pressure, since salt
causes the body tissues to excrete more water which then
enters the blood. This effect is no more dangerous
or permanent than the opposite effect of natural
diuretics - like tea, for example, which makes the
kidneys excrete more water and thus slightly decreases
blood pressure. The differences these foods make is
much smaller on a daily basis than things like stress,
caffiene and other effects.

> Thoughts please.

It's a load of horse manure. Eat your chips and
stop feeling guilty.

The real bottom line is calories. If you over-eat
chips you'll gain weight, which has its own risk
factors. If you don't, the chips will not hurt you.

--
..-. .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-< > / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"
`----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-' |Check out my new novel: "Cloud Realm" at:
home:www.smith-house.org:8000|http://www.smith-house.org:8000/books/list.html

Larry Smith

Callum C wrote:

> It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.

Frying does add some fat to food. In the world of the
Politically Correct Food Police, Fat is Bad, so any
food that has any fat - particularly added fat, like in
fried foods - is Evil and Bad and Must Be Eliminated
From the Proper Diet.

> [...]

causes the body tissues to excrete more water which then
enters the blood. This effect is no more dangerous
or permanent than the opposite effect of natural
diuretics - like tea, for example, which makes the
kidneys excrete more water and thus slightly decreases
blood pressure. The differences these foods make is
much smaller on a daily basis than things like stress,
caffiene and other effects.

> Thoughts please.

It's a load of horse manure. Eat your chips and
stop feeling guilty.

The real bottom line is calories. If you over-eat
chips you'll gain weight, which has its own risk
factors. If you don't, the chips will not hurt you.

--
..-. .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-< > / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"

Bill

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:06 -0700, "Callum C"
> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>
>Why is this?
>
>Say for example chips/fries. Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy so is it
>something about the cooking process for chips/fries that when fried makes
>them unhealthy?
>
>The only reason I can think of with this example in mind is that the fries
>become saturated with oil and therefore when you eat the chips/fries, as
>well as the potato, you are also consuming the oil with it.
>
>Thoughts please.
>
>Callum

My wife always discourages me from frying foods for
dinner...but...when we go out to eat she always wants to order the
fried stuff like french fries, fried chicken, fried pork chops,
chicken fried steak, chicken fried chicken! Apparently, it is only
unhealthy to do it yourself at home...it's quite alright to eat your
fried foods at Kentucky Fried Chicken, McDonalds and Burger King!

Bill

Julia Altshuler

Bill wrote:

> My wife always discourages me from frying foods for
> dinner, but when we go out to eat, she always wants to order the
> fried stuff like french fries, fried chicken, fried pork chops,
> chicken fried steak, chicken fried chicken! Apparently, it is only
> unhealthy to do it yourself at home; it's quite alright to eat your
> fried foods at Kentucky Fried Chicken, McDonalds and Burger King!

Perhaps health isn't the issue, but clean-up is? I rarely fry at home
because I hate dealing with all that oil. By eating fried foods only on
occasion when I go out, I get the best mix of avoiding too much grease
in my diet and avoiding cleaning up grease in the kitchen.

--Lia

zxcvbob

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Callum C wrote:
>
>>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>>Why is this?

> The part that got missed - When folks think of frying they often
> mean deep frying. Deep frying uses high heat that will slowly
> convert the good fatty acids in the oil (polyunsaturated,
> monounsaturated, saturated, doesn't matter at this point) into
> trans-fatty acids (which are bad in comparison to all of the above).

Not true (the conversion to trans- part). Trans- versus cis- fatty
acids has to do with the geometry of the hydrogens attached to the
double-bonded carbons. Saturated fats don't have carbon double bonds,
and monounsaturated fats have only one carbon double bond, so I don't
think they have trans- and cis- forms.

Reusing unsaturated fats causes oxidation and polymerization and yields
a nasty varnish and perhaps free radicals. Using saturated fat
eliminates the polymerization and free radical production.

Use saturated (palm or animal) fats or monounsaturated (peanut or olive)
oils for frying, and don't reuse them too many times. Your nose will
tell you when it's time to replace the oil.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Callum C wrote:
>
>>It seems to be the general consensus that fried food is unhealthy.
>>Why is this?

> The part that got missed - When folks think of frying they often
> mean deep frying. Deep frying uses high heat that will slowly
> convert the good fatty acids in the oil (polyunsaturated,
> monounsaturated, saturated, doesn't matter at this point) into
> trans-fatty acids (which are bad in comparison to all of the above).

Not true (the conversion to trans- part). Trans- versus cis- fatty
acids has to do with the geometry of the hydrogens attached to the
double-bonded carbons. Saturated fats don't have carbon double bonds,
and monounsaturated fats have only one carbon double bond, so I don't
think they have trans- and cis- forms.

Reusing unsaturated fats causes oxidation and polymerization and yields
a nasty varnish and perhaps free radicals. Using saturated fat
eliminates the polymerization and free radical production.

Use saturated (palm or animal) fats or monounsaturated (peanut or olive)
oils for frying, and don't reuse them too many times. Your nose will
tell you when it's time to replace the oil.

Best regards,
Bob
Michael Nielsen

Callum C wrote:
> Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy

Since when?

Michael Nielsen

Callum C wrote:
> Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy

Since when?
Bob (this one)

Michael Nielsen wrote:

> Callum C wrote:
>
>> Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy

> Since when?

Virtually no food is inherently unhealthy. Too much might be. Badly
combined with other things might be. Hazardous preparation might be.

But the spud is just another food to be considered.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Michael Nielsen wrote:

> Callum C wrote:
>
>> Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy

> Since when?

Virtually no food is inherently unhealthy. Too much might be. Badly
combined with other things might be. Hazardous preparation might be.

But the spud is just another food to be considered.

Pastorio

Christopher Green

Michael Nielsen > wrote in message >...
> Callum C wrote:
> > Potatoes aren't considered unhealthy

> Since when?

It's not the potatoes; it's the stuff one puts on potatoes.

Potatoes in combination with a complete source of protein make a
nutritious, if somewhat boring, diet. Potatoes were such a boon to the
poor of Europe when they were introduced that there are several
statues (a famous one in Offenburg was torn down by the Nazis) of Sir
Francis Drake giving him well-meant if somewhat fractured-historical
thanks for bringing potatoes to Europe.

--
Chris Green
Larry Smith

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Virtually no food is inherently unhealthy.

Never had fugu, have you? =)

--
..-. .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-< > / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"
`----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-' |Check out my new novel: "Cloud Realm" at:
home:www.smith-house.org:8000|http://www.smith-house.org:8000/books/list.html

Larry Smith

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Virtually no food is inherently unhealthy.

Never had fugu, have you? =)

--
..-. .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-< > / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"
`----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-' |Check out my new novel: "Cloud Realm" at:
home:www.smith-house.org:8000|http://www.smith-house.org:8000/books/list.html

Michael Nielsen

Christopher Green wrote:

> It's not the potatoes; it's the stuff one puts on potatoes.
>
> Potatoes in combination with a complete source of protein make a
> nutritious.

Only if you eat the skin. The rest will just explode your stomach and
blood sugar.
Michael Nielsen

Christopher Green wrote:

> It's not the potatoes; it's the stuff one puts on potatoes.
>
> Potatoes in combination with a complete source of protein make a
> nutritious.

Only if you eat the skin. The rest will just explode your stomach and
blood sugar.
Michael Nielsen

Christopher Green wrote:

> It's not the potatoes; it's the stuff one puts on potatoes.
>
> Potatoes in combination with a complete source of protein make a
> nutritious.

Only if you eat the skin. The rest will just explode your stomach and
blood sugar.
Default User

Michael Nielsen wrote:

> Christopher Green wrote:
> >
> > It's not the potatoes; it's the stuff one puts on potatoes.
> >
> > Potatoes in combination with a complete source of protein make a
> > nutritious.

> Only if you eat the skin. The rest will just explode your stomach and
> blood sugar.

Or not.

Brian Rodenborn

Michael Nielsen wrote:

> Christopher Green wrote:
> >
> > It's not the potatoes; it's the stuff one puts on potatoes.
> >
> > Potatoes in combination with a complete source of protein make a
> > nutritious.

> Only if you eat the skin. The rest will just explode your stomach and
> blood sugar.

Or not.

Brian Rodenborn
Amanda

"Callum C" > wrote in message >...
> On the whole I would like to thank you for your responses.
>
> I asked the question because, simply, I wanted to know the answer.
>
> Although I have an interest in food, I am not particularly knowledgeable in
> this field and hence the question.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Callum

Fried food uses more oil than other type of cooking. More oil means
more bad stuff for your heart as all oil contains staurated fat which
builds up in your arteries. Oils that have less saturated fat (more
unstaurated fat) is better but even too much of mono saturated fat is
not good (weight gain, etc. leading to other health problems).

When I buy grocery, I always look at saturated fat contetnt and Sodium
content qucikly.