WLM

Default What to do with some flax seeds

I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.

Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
the seeds are much less expensive.

My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room temperature
with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some kind
of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost none)
but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
cannot be chewed.

And so I have a 24-ounce bag of flax seeds that I don't know what to
do with. I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for flax seeds,
or recipes that might use flax seeds. These are my ideas:

* Put them in a vegetable soup. The boiling might soften them up.

* Grind the seeds up and make a coarse flour. This can then be put
into smoothies, or mixed with wheat flour to make dough for bread,
or made into a muffin or pancake mix, or mixed into soup.

I'd like to know as well if cooking the seeds destroys the omega-3
fatty acids, which are the reason for buying the flax seeds in the
first place.

Thanks for any advice any of you can give.

-------
WLM

(to get the right address, make "EugeneFreenet" into "efn")
BlueHeron

A few things:

* Cooking flax seads or oil will nullify any health benifit that you
would get from them.
* They need to be ground or they will pass right through your system
undigested and you will get no health benifit from them.

I tend to ground them up and add them to shakes, as you suggest, or if
you take 1 tbsp ground flax and add 3 tbsp water and let it sit, it
makes a good egg replacement for baked goods.

I also add it to my bread somestimes, but as that is whole, it is more
for look at texture than for health.

-- Blue

WLM wrote:

> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.
>
> And so I have a 24-ounce bag of flax seeds that I don't know what to
> do with. I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for flax seeds,
> or recipes that might use flax seeds. These are my ideas:
>
> * Put them in a vegetable soup. The boiling might soften them up.
>
> * Grind the seeds up and make a coarse flour. This can then be put
> into smoothies, or mixed with wheat flour to make dough for bread,
> or made into a muffin or pancake mix, or mixed into soup.
>
> I'd like to know as well if cooking the seeds destroys the omega-3
> fatty acids, which are the reason for buying the flax seeds in the
> first place.
>
> Thanks for any advice any of you can give.
>
> -------
> WLM
>
> (to get the right address, make "EugeneFreenet" into "efn")

BlueHeron

WLM wrote:

> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.
>
> And so I have a 24-ounce bag of flax seeds that I don't know what to
> do with. I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for flax seeds,
> or recipes that might use flax seeds. These are my ideas:
>
> * Put them in a vegetable soup. The boiling might soften them up.
>
> * Grind the seeds up and make a coarse flour. This can then be put
> into smoothies, or mixed with wheat flour to make dough for bread,
> or made into a muffin or pancake mix, or mixed into soup.
>
> I'd like to know as well if cooking the seeds destroys the omega-3
> fatty acids, which are the reason for buying the flax seeds in the
> first place.
>
> Thanks for any advice any of you can give.
>
> -------
> WLM
>
> (to get the right address, make "EugeneFreenet" into "efn")

C. James Strutz

"WLM" > wrote in message
m...
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room

temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some

kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost

none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.
>
> And so I have a 24-ounce bag of flax seeds that I don't know what to
> do with. I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for flax seeds,
> or recipes that might use flax seeds. These are my ideas:
>
> * Put them in a vegetable soup. The boiling might soften them up.
>
> * Grind the seeds up and make a coarse flour. This can then be put
> into smoothies, or mixed with wheat flour to make dough for bread,
> or made into a muffin or pancake mix, or mixed into soup.
>
> I'd like to know as well if cooking the seeds destroys the omega-3
> fatty acids, which are the reason for buying the flax seeds in the
> first place.
>
> Thanks for any advice any of you can give.

I buy flax seeds already ground up and sprinkle some on my granola in
the morning. It's also good baked into muffins and the like.

C. James Strutz

"WLM" > wrote in message
m...
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room

temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some

kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost

none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.
>
> And so I have a 24-ounce bag of flax seeds that I don't know what to
> do with. I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for flax seeds,
> or recipes that might use flax seeds. These are my ideas:
>
> * Put them in a vegetable soup. The boiling might soften them up.
>
> * Grind the seeds up and make a coarse flour. This can then be put
> into smoothies, or mixed with wheat flour to make dough for bread,
> or made into a muffin or pancake mix, or mixed into soup.
>
> I'd like to know as well if cooking the seeds destroys the omega-3
> fatty acids, which are the reason for buying the flax seeds in the
> first place.
>
> Thanks for any advice any of you can give.

I buy flax seeds already ground up and sprinkle some on my granola in
the morning. It's also good baked into muffins and the like.

jmk

On 9/10/2004 1:37 PM, WLM wrote:
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.

Get an inexpensive coffee grinder and put a tablepoon or two in and
grind the flax seeds as you need them. You are correct, they aren't
very chewable -- and to get the benefits you need to grind them up to
digest them.

I use flaxseeds in breads and muffins and sometimes as part of a
"breading." Some people also like flax in smooties.

--
jmk in NC
jmk

On 9/10/2004 1:37 PM, WLM wrote:
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.

Get an inexpensive coffee grinder and put a tablepoon or two in and
grind the flax seeds as you need them. You are correct, they aren't
very chewable -- and to get the benefits you need to grind them up to
digest them.

I use flaxseeds in breads and muffins and sometimes as part of a
"breading." Some people also like flax in smooties.

--
jmk in NC
Steve

WLM wrote:
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.

Eat the.

The book at the url below is written by an RD and it goes through many
contemporary studies. The upshot is that flax seeds have more benefits
then flax oil:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Additionally, ample evidence is provided that the omega-3 oils are not
hurt when baking flax seeds.

The easiest to way to use flax seeds is to grind them and then mix them
into a drink.

HTH

Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"

Be a healthy Vegan or Vegetarian
http://geocities.com/beforewisdom/Veg/healthyVeg.html
Steve

WLM wrote:
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.

Eat the.

The book at the url below is written by an RD and it goes through many
contemporary studies. The upshot is that flax seeds have more benefits
then flax oil:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Additionally, ample evidence is provided that the omega-3 oils are not
hurt when baking flax seeds.

The easiest to way to use flax seeds is to grind them and then mix them
into a drink.

HTH

Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"

Be a healthy Vegan or Vegetarian
http://geocities.com/beforewisdom/Veg/healthyVeg.html
r3ality

As others have suggested, GRIND THEM UP in a coffee grinder or
blender. If you don't, they'll likely pass right through you without
practically any benefit at all. Grinding them up is absolutely
imperative, unless you've got teeth that can do as adaquate a job as a
coffee grinder.

In any case, yes, you can sprinkle them on whatever you're eating and
some people even eat them raw. Personally, I like mixing them in with
a raw banana or two for my daily requirement, and yes you should
consume ground Flax seeds every day .... of your life ... until you
die.

(WLM) wrote in message om>...
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.
>
> And so I have a 24-ounce bag of flax seeds that I don't know what to
> do with. I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for flax seeds,
> or recipes that might use flax seeds. These are my ideas:
>
> * Put them in a vegetable soup. The boiling might soften them up.
>
> * Grind the seeds up and make a coarse flour. This can then be put
> into smoothies, or mixed with wheat flour to make dough for bread,
> or made into a muffin or pancake mix, or mixed into soup.
>
> I'd like to know as well if cooking the seeds destroys the omega-3
> fatty acids, which are the reason for buying the flax seeds in the
> first place.
>
> Thanks for any advice any of you can give.
>
> -------
> WLM
>

> (to get the right address, make "EugeneFreenet" into "efn")

r3ality

(WLM) wrote in message om>...
> I went to my local favorite health store to buy some flax seed oil,
> because it is very good for health, containing omega-3 fatty acids.
>
> Out of inexperience, I bought flax seeds instead of the oil, because
> the seeds are much less expensive.
>
> My typical healthy rice dish is brown rice, cooled to room temperature
> with chopped tomato, onion and garlic, and a small amount of some kind
> of oil or nuts. After trying them in this rice dish, I did not like
> it at all. Not because of the taste (the flax seeds have almost none)
> but because of the texture. They are small and hard seeds which
> cannot be chewed.
>
> And so I have a 24-ounce bag of flax seeds that I don't know what to
> do with. I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes for flax seeds,
> or recipes that might use flax seeds. These are my ideas:
>
> * Put them in a vegetable soup. The boiling might soften them up.
>
> * Grind the seeds up and make a coarse flour. This can then be put
> into smoothies, or mixed with wheat flour to make dough for bread,
> or made into a muffin or pancake mix, or mixed into soup.
>
> I'd like to know as well if cooking the seeds destroys the omega-3
> fatty acids, which are the reason for buying the flax seeds in the
> first place.
>
> Thanks for any advice any of you can give.
>
> -------
> WLM
>

> (to get the right address, make "EugeneFreenet" into "efn")

Flax and Honeydew Booz Allen General Cooking 0 08-09-2013 06:12 AM
Flax z z General Cooking 27 01-12-2011 10:11 AM
OT (kind of): Flax seeds for dog treats? zxcvbob General Cooking 15 04-03-2006 10:04 PM
Flax pancakes Uncle Enrico Diabetic 4 06-12-2005 01:33 PM
Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds PenguiN General Cooking 6 16-03-2004 02:46 AM