Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Uncle Enrico

Default Flax pancakes

Anybody using ground flax for pancakes? This stuff is amazing and very
low carb--0.1 gram net carb per tbsp. 1.8 gr. Omega 3 fat; 0.6 gr. Omega
6 fat.

If you get the whole seed, grind in an electric coffee grinder and mix
with egg white and your choice of flavorings. I recently added a
tablespoon of canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, Splenda and low car soy
milk. Cook over low heat in Canola oil.

My 1 hour pp reading was 85 mg/dl. My two hour reading was 89 mg/dl.
This was with 3 tbsp of flax seed before grinding, plus the pumpkin, egg
white, etc.

I buy the whole flax seed at the Whole Foods Market.

3 tbsp. of seed plus the other ingredients makes about five to six
3-inch pancakes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Anybody using ground flax for pancakes? This stuff is amazing and very
> low carb--0.1 gram net carb per tbsp. 1.8 gr. Omega 3 fat; 0.6 gr. Omega
> 6 fat.
>
> If you get the whole seed, grind in an electric coffee grinder and mix
> with egg white and your choice of flavorings. I recently added a
> tablespoon of canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, Splenda and low car soy
> milk. Cook over low heat in Canola oil.
>
> My 1 hour pp reading was 85 mg/dl. My two hour reading was 89 mg/dl.
> This was with 3 tbsp of flax seed before grinding, plus the pumpkin, egg
> white, etc.
>
> I buy the whole flax seed at the Whole Foods Market.
>
> 3 tbsp. of seed plus the other ingredients makes about five to six
> 3-inch pancakes.

I didn't make pancakes, but I used to eat a bit of ground flax daily. Loved
the taste, but had to stop because of the laxative effect.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Uncle Enrico

Julie Bove wrote:

> I didn't make pancakes, but I used to eat a bit of ground flax daily. Loved
> the taste, but had to stop because of the laxative effect.

One strange thing about these pancakes, not only are they not raising my
bg level one and two hours pp, they seem to be lowering the level 10 to
20 points from what I would expect. I'm using two meters so I don't
think there's a measurement error.

I've been having one and two hour post meal numbers from 85 to 95 mg/dl.
I should be running a pre-meal number at around 115 this time of
night. One hour after a pancake I got a 95. Two hours after a pancake
and one hour after a egg beater omelet with zuchini and spinach, I got a
96 mg/dl. Yesterday at breakfast one hour after a pancake I got an 85,
and two hours I got an 89.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
news
> One strange thing about these pancakes, not only are they not raising my
> bg level one and two hours pp, they seem to be lowering the level 10 to 20
> points from what I would expect. I'm using two meters so I don't think
> there's a measurement error.

They're stuffed full of fibre. That's why a flaxseed porridge is a regular
breakfast for me (apart from the fact that I like the taste).

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Uncle Enrico

Nicky wrote:
> "Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
> news >
>>One strange thing about these pancakes, not only are they not raising my
>>bg level one and two hours pp, they seem to be lowering the level 10 to 20
>>points from what I would expect. I'm using two meters so I don't think
>>there's a measurement error.

> They're stuffed full of fibre. That's why a flaxseed porridge is a regular
> breakfast for me (apart from the fact that I like the taste).
>
> Nicky.

They are full of fiber. The flax seed shell makes up a large percentage
of the total seed volume which contributes to the high fiber content.
The same thing occurs with the smaller beans as compared with the larger
beans. I can eat baby limas but the regular limas spike me too much.
The small red beans are OK but the large kidney beans aren't. The degree
of cooking really makes a big diff.

Flax z z General Cooking 27 01-12-2011 10:11 AM
Flax Seed Cougar Diabetic 5 10-07-2007 10:06 AM
What to do with some flax seeds WLM Vegan 10 11-09-2004 06:24 PM
Original Pancakes House 49ers Pancakes Doug Weller Recipes 3 09-09-2004 02:38 PM
Original Pancakes House 49ers Pancakes Doug Weller General Cooking 3 09-09-2004 02:38 PM