Momzilla

Default convection oven

My new house has a convection oven. I've never had such a luxury. I hear
they're great for baked goods but I find things over bake or get dried out.
Anyone have advice about using a convection oven?

Thank You
-nancy-

menu boy

"Momzilla" > wrote in message
> My new house has a convection oven. I've never had such a luxury. I hear
> they're great for baked goods but I find things over bake or get dried

out.
> Anyone have advice about using a convection oven?

That's an extremely broad question. What do you bake? What ingredients
do you use? Are you following recipes or just making things up?

rebecca

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:01:56 -0500, "Momzilla" >
wrote:

>My new house has a convection oven. I've never had such a luxury. I hear
>they're great for baked goods but I find things over bake or get dried out.
>Anyone have advice about using a convection oven?

For things like bread and cake, I think you just cook them at 25F less
than you normally would, and maybe start checking them a little
earlier. I've heard that they cook roasts 30% faster, but that
probably wouldn't affect you!

--Rebecca
rebecca

wrote:

>My new house has a convection oven. I've never had such a luxury. I hear
>they're great for baked goods but I find things over bake or get dried out.
>Anyone have advice about using a convection oven?

For things like bread and cake, I think you just cook them at 25F less
than you normally would, and maybe start checking them a little
earlier. I've heard that they cook roasts 30% faster, but that
probably wouldn't affect you!

--Rebecca
T5NF

My convection oven is the portable type which I bought roughly 14 years ago...
it does tend to cook faster than my oven and I usually rotate things around 20
minutes into the cooking time....I guage doneness then and check again after
another 15- 20 minutes depending on what I'm cooking. Once you've used it
awhile, you'll get the hang of when things will be done... it takes a little
getting used to. I'm a little heavy handed with liqueds, so I've never had any
drying out problems...as always, ymmv.

Momzilla

"T5NF" > wrote in message
> My convection oven is the portable type which I bought roughly 14 years

ago...
> it does tend to cook faster than my oven and I usually rotate things

around 20
> minutes into the cooking time....I guage doneness then and check again

after
> another 15- 20 minutes depending on what I'm cooking. Once you've used it
> awhile, you'll get the hang of when things will be done... it takes a

little
> getting used to. I'm a little heavy handed with liqueds, so I've never

had any
> drying out problems...as always, ymmv.

I think I'll follow Rebecca's advice and lower the temp. by 25 degrees, the
rotating is also a good idea.
thanks -nancy-

Convection oven isw General Cooking 21 15-10-2013 05:48 AM
Changing from Electric Oven to Convection Gas oven The Henchman[_3_] General Cooking 10 05-10-2010 08:42 PM
HELP! Oven Door stuck on Dacor W 305 Convection Oven Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 2 26-12-2004 09:02 PM
HELP! Oven Door stuck on Dacor W 305 Convection Oven guitarlee Cooking Equipment 1 25-12-2004 10:45 PM
Countertop convection oven vs. Microwave/Convection hood sid Cooking Equipment 2 23-06-2004 02:35 PM