Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Changing from Electric Oven to Convection Gas oven

Did my first ever gas oven cooking. Actually it wasn't cooking. It was
taking 2 lbs of frozen cheesy mac and cheese from a box and heating it but
hey I have no counters or sink or facuet or new electrical outlets in place
yet.

Our old oven was a Moffat Electric. Our new oven is GE free standing range
with gas oven, model series JGB8. This oven felt like it cooked about 50
degrees F lower than the electric. I tried the convection and the fan
comes on but I set the temp for 375 and it seemed to cook around 325 or 335.
On the regular bake it seemed to bake around 340.

Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? Are they always
slower than electric? Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?

When do I use use convection gas and when not too? We often will have
multiple trays/roasting pans or Dutch ovens in the oven. Some times three
racks will be full. But I tried one tray and it was slow.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 21:04:30 -0400, "The Henchman" > wrote:
<snip>

> Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? Are they always
> slower than electric? Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?
>
> When do I use use convection gas and when not too? We often will have
> multiple trays/roasting pans or Dutch ovens in the oven. Some times three
> racks will be full. But I tried one tray and it was slow.
>
> Any advice is appreciated!!!

Have you checked it with an oven thermometer yet? Did you use one in
your old oven? It could have run hot. Get an oven thermometer and
check your new oven. The unit should be under warranty - so even if
it reads correctly, call in a technician. I had an oven problem once
where the thermometer read correctly, but baked goods didn't cook
properly and it was due to the thermostat not cycling on when it
should have. So, have a pro take a look at it while it's still free.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 4, 6:26*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 21:04:30 -0400, "The Henchman" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? *Are they always
> > slower than electric? * Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?

> > When do I use use convection gas and when not too? *We often will have
> > multiple trays/roasting pans or Dutch ovens in the oven. *Some times three
> > racks will be full. *But I tried one tray and it was slow.

> > Any advice is appreciated!!!

> Have you checked it with an oven thermometer yet? *Did you use one in
> your old oven? *It could have run hot. *Get an oven thermometer and
> check your new oven. *The unit should be under warranty - so even if
> it reads correctly, call in a technician. *I had an oven problem once
> where the thermometer read correctly, but baked goods didn't cook
> properly and it was due to the thermostat not cycling on when it
> should have. *So, have a pro take a look at it while it's still free.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

SF beat me to it. Use an oven thermometer. You may need to adjust
your oven. Look at the instruction book that came with your oven to
see how to adjust the temperature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Henchman wrote:

> Did my first ever gas oven cooking. Actually it wasn't cooking. It was
> taking 2 lbs of frozen cheesy mac and cheese from a box and heating it but
> hey I have no counters or sink or facuet or new electrical outlets in place
> yet.
>
> Our old oven was a Moffat Electric. Our new oven is GE free standing range
> with gas oven, model series JGB8. This oven felt like it cooked about 50
> degrees F lower than the electric. I tried the convection and the fan
> comes on but I set the temp for 375 and it seemed to cook around 325 or 335.
> On the regular bake it seemed to bake around 340.
>
> Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? Are they always
> slower than electric? Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?
>
> When do I use use convection gas and when not too? We often will have
> multiple trays/roasting pans or Dutch ovens in the oven. Some times three
> racks will be full. But I tried one tray and it was slow.
>
> Any advice is appreciated!!!

Definitely check the actual oven temperatures and have the unit serviced
if it is not within a reasonable tolerance to the setpoint.

There isn't a lot of difference functionally between an electric oven
and a gas oven, the only notable differences a

- A gas oven exposes what you're cooking to some moisture (and other
combustion by-products) while an electric oven does not. This will cause
some differences in sensitive items, mostly baked goods.

- A gas oven usually has a wider hysteresis than an electric oven so the
temperature will vary over a bit larger range than an electric oven.

- Electric ovens often have better controls than gas ovens, at least in
the low to upper-midrange models.

Generally speaking you should be operating convection more often than
not. The fan forced convection air currents will reduce temperature
variations in the oven and produce more even cooking. The convection
will also result in a bit faster cooking due to more rapid heat transfer
to the food.

The only place you may not want to run convection is with some baked
goods where the convection air currents may cause the item to bake a bit
lopsided. This is less of an issue in a residential convection oven
which has a smaller fan than commercial convection ovens. The higher end
commercial convection ovens reverse the convection fan every minute or
two to eliminate this issue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 18:26:20 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 21:04:30 -0400, "The Henchman" > wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? Are they always
>> slower than electric? Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?
>>
>> When do I use use convection gas and when not too? We often will have
>> multiple trays/roasting pans or Dutch ovens in the oven. Some times three
>> racks will be full. But I tried one tray and it was slow.
>>
>> Any advice is appreciated!!!

>Have you checked it with an oven thermometer yet? Did you use one in
>your old oven? It could have run hot. Get an oven thermometer and
>check your new oven. The unit should be under warranty - so even if
>it reads correctly, call in a technician. I had an oven problem once
>where the thermometer read correctly, but baked goods didn't cook
>properly and it was due to the thermostat not cycling on when it
>should have. So, have a pro take a look at it while it's still free.

I had a neighbor who was a Sears appliance service tech. He told me
that regardless which appliance just before the end of the the first
year, even if there's nothing wrong, call for service... make up some
reason like it smells like something is burning, it sometimes makes
grinding/squealing noises, it's beginning to vibrate, etc. The tech
will check it out and while there will tighten screws, adjust belts,
lube where needed, even install new belts when not indicated;
preventitive maintenence. But most importantly it will be documented
that there was a problem, this will reset your warranty start date
based on the noted problems, imagined though they may be. The tech
will list a bunch of maladies you never thought of, this to justify
his job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Henchman > wrote:

>Our old oven was a Moffat Electric. Our new oven is GE free standing range
>with gas oven, model series JGB8. This oven felt like it cooked about 50
>degrees F lower than the electric. I tried the convection and the fan
>comes on but I set the temp for 375 and it seemed to cook around 325 or 335.
>On the regular bake it seemed to bake around 340.

>Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? Are they always
>slower than electric? Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?

Are you using an oven thermometer?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> Did my first ever gas oven cooking. Actually it wasn't cooking. It was
>> taking 2 lbs of frozen cheesy mac and cheese from a box and heating it but
>> hey I have no counters or sink or facuet or new electrical outlets in place
>> yet.
>>
>> Our old oven was a Moffat Electric. Our new oven is GE free standing range
>> with gas oven, model series JGB8. This oven felt like it cooked about 50
>> degrees F lower than the electric. I tried the convection and the fan
>> comes on but I set the temp for 375 and it seemed to cook around 325 or 335.
>> On the regular bake it seemed to bake around 340.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? Are they always
>> slower than electric? Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?

> You shouldn't have to; why accept a workaround when you just paid for
>a brand new oven.
>>
>> When do I use use convection gas and when not too? We often will have
>> multiple trays/roasting pans or Dutch ovens in the oven. Some times three
>> racks will be full. But I tried one tray and it was slow.
>>
>> Any advice is appreciated!!!

> Sounds like a faulty thermostat in the oven; a quick and easy job for
>the service engineer to change for a new one under warranty.

More likely just needs to be calibrated... if "faulty" it wouldn't
work at all. The old style gas ovens are calibrated manually by
removing the oven temperature knob and adjusting the small screw down
inside the valve stem while using an oven thermometer, this may take
awhile but it's DIY. The newer gas oven temperature control is by a
computer module, there is a code to bring up the settings screen;
should be done by the service tech or one could lose all the default
settings... usually the customer service person you get on the phone
won't know the code, probably won't know a code exists. The computer
module on my stove died from a power brown out just a short while
after the five year warranty expired. A service tech came to install
the new module and checking all the default settings was quite
involved. With installation the new module cost almost $500... I
could have opted to do it myself for $75 less (instructions come with
the module) but I wasn't willing to risk damaging it... after seeing
all that was involved I'm very glad I let the tech do it, just
removing the old one entailed dismantling most of the backsplash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:08:15 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 18:26:20 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

>>Have you checked it with an oven thermometer yet? Did you use one in
>>your old oven? It could have run hot. Get an oven thermometer and
>>check your new oven. The unit should be under warranty - so even if
>>it reads correctly, call in a technician. I had an oven problem once
>>where the thermometer read correctly, but baked goods didn't cook
>>properly and it was due to the thermostat not cycling on when it
>>should have. So, have a pro take a look at it while it's still free.

> I had a neighbor who was a Sears appliance service tech. He told me
> that regardless which appliance just before the end of the the first
> year, even if there's nothing wrong, call for service... make up some
> reason like it smells like something is burning, it sometimes makes
> grinding/squealing noises, it's beginning to vibrate, etc. The tech
> will check it out and while there will tighten screws, adjust belts,
> lube where needed, even install new belts when not indicated;
> preventitive maintenence. But most importantly it will be documented
> that there was a problem, this will reset your warranty start date
> based on the noted problems, imagined though they may be. The tech
> will list a bunch of maladies you never thought of, this to justify
> his job.

more tips from a chiseler.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:16:36 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Janet > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>says...
>>>
>>> Did my first ever gas oven cooking. Actually it wasn't cooking. It was
>>> taking 2 lbs of frozen cheesy mac and cheese from a box and heating it but
>>> hey I have no counters or sink or facuet or new electrical outlets in place
>>> yet.
>>>
>>> Our old oven was a Moffat Electric. Our new oven is GE free standing range
>>> with gas oven, model series JGB8. This oven felt like it cooked about 50
>>> degrees F lower than the electric. I tried the convection and the fan
>>> comes on but I set the temp for 375 and it seemed to cook around 325 or 335.
>>> On the regular bake it seemed to bake around 340.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range? Are they always
>>> slower than electric? Will I always have to use 425 to get 375?

>> You shouldn't have to; why accept a workaround when you just paid for
>>a brand new oven.
>>>
>>> When do I use use convection gas and when not too? We often will have
>>> multiple trays/roasting pans or Dutch ovens in the oven. Some times three
>>> racks will be full. But I tried one tray and it was slow.
>>>
>>> Any advice is appreciated!!!

>> Sounds like a faulty thermostat in the oven; a quick and easy job for
>>the service engineer to change for a new one under warranty.

> More likely just needs to be calibrated... if "faulty" it wouldn't
> work at all.

you don't know what 'faulty' means, do you?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Henchman" > wrote:

>Can anyone give me some hints about using a gas range?

Read the manual.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.