MrFalafel

Default Shorbat Mamrouteh – Southern Lentil Soup

Shorbat Mamrouteh – Southern Lentil Soup

2 cups whole lentils
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup chopped parsley leaves
1 tbsp ground cumin
salt and black pepper to taste

2 Arabic breads, cut into 1 inch pieces

Rinse the lentils in cold water, drain and place in a medium pot.
Cover with water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, sauté the onions in the olive oil and set aside. Remove the
lentils from the pot and either puree in a food processor of press
through a sieve. Return the pureed lentils to the pot and add the rice
and onions. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the soup is
thickened. Add water as needed.

Just before serving, add the lemon juice, parsley, cumin, salt and
pepper and mix. Serve with toasted pieces of Arabic bread.

From the Tables of Lebanon – Dalal Holmin & Maher Abbas MD
C. James Strutz

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> Shorbat Mamrouteh - Southern Lentil Soup
>
> 2 cups whole lentils
> 1 large onion, chopped
> 1/2 cup olive oil
> 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
> 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
> 1 cup chopped parsley leaves
> 1 tbsp ground cumin
> salt and black pepper to taste
>
> 2 Arabic breads, cut into 1 inch pieces
>
> Rinse the lentils in cold water, drain and place in a medium pot.
> Cover with water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
>
> Meanwhile, sauté the onions in the olive oil and set aside. Remove

the
> lentils from the pot and either puree in a food processor of press
> through a sieve. Return the pureed lentils to the pot and add the

rice
> and onions. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the soup is
> thickened. Add water as needed.
>
> Just before serving, add the lemon juice, parsley, cumin, salt and
> pepper and mix. Serve with toasted pieces of Arabic bread.
>

> From the Tables of Lebanon - Dalal Holmin & Maher Abbas MD

I own a copy of this cookbook. I like it a lot.

usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:

>>Shorbat Mamrouteh - Southern Lentil Soup
>>
>>2 cups whole lentils
>>1 large onion, chopped
>>1/2 cup olive oil
>>1/2 cup uncooked white rice
>>1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
>>1 cup chopped parsley leaves
>>1 tbsp ground cumin
>>salt and black pepper to taste
>>
>>2 Arabic breads, cut into 1 inch pieces
>>
>>Rinse the lentils in cold water, drain and place in a medium pot.
>>Cover with water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
>>
>>Meanwhile, sauté the onions in the olive oil and set aside. Remove

> the
>
>>lentils from the pot and either puree in a food processor of press
>>through a sieve. Return the pureed lentils to the pot and add the

> rice
>
>>and onions. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the soup is
>>thickened. Add water as needed.
>>
>>Just before serving, add the lemon juice, parsley, cumin, salt and
>>pepper and mix. Serve with toasted pieces of Arabic bread.
>>

>>From the Tables of Lebanon - Dalal Holmin & Maher Abbas MD

> I own a copy of this cookbook. I like it a lot.

Is it copyrighted?

T5NF

Mr.Falafel wrote:
<snip yummy recipe>
>> From the Tables of Lebanon - Dalal Holmin & Maher Abbas MD

C.James Strutz added:
>I own a copy of this cookbook. I like it a lot.

Awesome...I'll have to look for a copy.

Cheers,

Fritz

Ham REC - Lentil and Ham Soup Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 0 02-03-2009 03:43 AM
Lentil Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-09-2005 10:18 PM
REC: Lentil Soup jmcquown General Cooking 25 25-02-2005 01:11 AM
Shorbat Sbanegh Bi-Adas – Spinach Lentil Soup MrFalafel Vegan 0 15-06-2004 09:51 AM