jmcquown

Default REC: Lentil Soup

Gonna be simmering on the stove today:

2 c. brown lentils
8 c. water
3 slices bacon, diced
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed
3 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley

Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion, celery,
carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot. Rinse lentils;
drain. Place in the soup pot with the water and seasonings. Cover and
simmer about 2-1/2 hours. 6-8 servings (or in my case, 4, since to me soup
is a meal!)

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Gonna be simmering on the stove today:
>
> 2 c. brown lentils
> 8 c. water
> 3 slices bacon, diced
> 1 med. onion, chopped
> 1/2 c. chopped celery
> 1/4 c. chopped carrots
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2-1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed
> 3 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley
>
> Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion,

celery,
> carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot. Rinse

lentils;
> drain. Place in the soup pot with the water and seasonings. Cover

and
> simmer about 2-1/2 hours. 6-8 servings (or in my case, 4, since to me

soup
> is a meal!)

2-1/2 hours?!?!? Lentils fully cook in 30-40 minutes, any much longer
and there will be none that are distinguishable from puree.

jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Gonna be simmering on the stove today:
>>
>> 2 c. brown lentils
>> 8 c. water
>> 3 slices bacon, diced
>> 1 med. onion, chopped
>> 1/2 c. chopped celery
>> 1/4 c. chopped carrots
>> 2 cloves garlic, minced
>> 2-1/2 tsp. salt
>> 1 tsp. pepper
>> 1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed
>> 3 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley
>>
>> Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion,
>> celery, carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot.
>> Rinse lentils; drain. Place in the soup pot with the water and
>> seasonings. Cover and simmer about 2-1/2 hours. 6-8 servings (or in
>> my case, 4, since to me soup is a meal!)

> 2-1/2 hours?!?!? Lentils fully cook in 30-40 minutes, any much longer
> and there will be none that are distinguishable from puree.

I like mushy soup

Jill

Dimitri

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Sheldon wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Gonna be simmering on the stove today:
>>>
>>> 2 c. brown lentils
>>> 8 c. water
>>> 3 slices bacon, diced
>>> 1 med. onion, chopped
>>> 1/2 c. chopped celery
>>> 1/4 c. chopped carrots
>>> 2 cloves garlic, minced
>>> 2-1/2 tsp. salt
>>> 1 tsp. pepper
>>> 1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed
>>> 3 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley
>>>
>>> Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion,
>>> celery, carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot.
>>> Rinse lentils; drain. Place in the soup pot with the water and
>>> seasonings. Cover and simmer about 2-1/2 hours. 6-8 servings (or in
>>> my case, 4, since to me soup is a meal!)

>> 2-1/2 hours?!?!? Lentils fully cook in 30-40 minutes, any much longer
>> and there will be none that are distinguishable from puree.

> I like mushy soup
>
> Jill

Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.

Dimitri

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Feb 2005 09:57:21a, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> 2-1/2 hours?!?!? Lentils fully cook in 30-40 minutes, any much longer
>>> and there will be none that are distinguishable from puree.

>> I like mushy soup
>>
>> Jill

> Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.
>
> Dimitri

And a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice.

Wayne

Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>> Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.
>>
>> Dimitri

> And a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice.

I like Progresso Lentil Soup (not as good as Jill's, I'm sure) but one
thing I like about it is that it has *some* spinach or escarole in it.
Makes me happy.

nancy (don't ask me why, but this reminds me of moosemeat,
any news?)

Gregory Morrow

Nancy Young wrote:

> nancy (don't ask me why, but this reminds me of moosemeat,
> any news?)

I myself was just going to ask "Where's Moosemeat?"...

--
Best
Greg

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 23 Feb 2005 09:57:21a, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> I like mushy soup
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.
>>
>> Dimitri

> And a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice.
>
> Wayne

Can do on both!

Jill

Leila

I'm in between you and Sheldon - since I don't pre-soak lentils,
they're never done in 35 minutes - usually closer to an hour. Also
although I sautee onions and celery ahead of time, they still need all
that time to soften up. I don't believe in crunchy soup vegetables.

Leila

Richard Green

Or a drop of dry sherry.
Richard.
"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 23 Feb 2005 09:57:21a, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> I like mushy soup
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.
>>
>> Dimitri

> And a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice.
>
> Wayne

jmcquown

Leila wrote:
> I'm in between you and Sheldon - since I don't pre-soak lentils,
> they're never done in 35 minutes - usually closer to an hour. Also
> although I sautee onions and celery ahead of time, they still need all
> that time to soften up. I don't believe in crunchy soup vegetables.
>
> Leila

Yep, I'm not pre-soaking the lentils and I too want the veggies soft. I
probably won't cook it as long as the recipe indicates.

Jill

jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>>> Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> And a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice.

> I like Progresso Lentil Soup (not as good as Jill's, I'm sure) but one
> thing I like about it is that it has *some* spinach or escarole in it.

Hey, I can throw in some spinach!

> Makes me happy.
>
> nancy (don't ask me why, but this reminds me of moosemeat,
> any news?)

JimLane

Dimitri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>>2-1/2 hours?!?!? Lentils fully cook in 30-40 minutes, any much longer
>>>and there will be none that are distinguishable from puree.

>>I like mushy soup
>>
>>Jill

> Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.
>
> Dimitri

Someone else has mentioned a bit of spinach and a squeeze of lemon. In
Greece, they add some vinegar (balsamic?) at the table.

jim
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Feb 2005 04:05:00p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> And a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice.

>> I like Progresso Lentil Soup (not as good as Jill's, I'm sure) but one
>> thing I like about it is that it has *some* spinach or escarole in it.

> Hey, I can throw in some spinach!

That or some chopped kale. The texture of the kale would probably hold up a
little better.

Wayne
Jude

A little tomaoto paste will add to the flavor as well. I like the
double-thick kind that comes in a tube.

sf

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:11:54 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Gonna be simmering on the stove today:
>
> 2 c. brown lentils
> 8 c. water
> 3 slices bacon, diced
> 1 med. onion, chopped
> 1/2 c. chopped celery
> 1/4 c. chopped carrots
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 2-1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed
> 3 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley
>
> Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion, celery,
> carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot. Rinse lentils;
> drain. Place in the soup pot with the water and seasonings. Cover and
> simmer about 2-1/2 hours. 6-8 servings (or in my case, 4, since to me soup
> is a meal!)

Here's my variation: no bacon or parsley when I make it, I
use a can of Italian style stewed tomatoes and omit extra
celery and carrots.

sf
sf

On 23 Feb 2005 19:13:46 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> And a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice.

Mmmm, good idea!

sf
Horse

Try draining this and serving it cold as a starter.. with some Olive oil and
balsamic..
and dress it with some finely chopped cucumber..

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:11:54 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
> > Gonna be simmering on the stove today:
> >
> > 2 c. brown lentils
> > 8 c. water
> > 3 slices bacon, diced
> > 1 med. onion, chopped
> > 1/2 c. chopped celery
> > 1/4 c. chopped carrots
> > 2 cloves garlic, minced
> > 2-1/2 tsp. salt
> > 1 tsp. pepper
> > 1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed
> > 3 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley
> >
> > Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion, celery,
> > carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot. Rinse

lentils;
> > drain. Place in the soup pot with the water and seasonings. Cover and
> > simmer about 2-1/2 hours. 6-8 servings (or in my case, 4, since to me

soup
> > is a meal!)
> >

> Here's my variation: no bacon or parsley when I make it, I
> use a can of Italian style stewed tomatoes and omit extra
> celery and carrots.
>
> sf

sf

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:16:02 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> I like Progresso Lentil Soup (not as good as Jill's, I'm sure) but one
> thing I like about it is that it has *some* spinach or escarole in it.
> Makes me happy.

Spinach is ALWAYS a good addition!

<slurp>
That reminds me....

One of my favorite simple soups to make is - pinto beans,
lots of water, some onion, garlic & salt (proportions are to
taste). After it's cooked down to a "moosh", add some
spinach (I'm not picky, chopped frozen is fine by me) and
sprinkle some julienned cilantro on top to serve.

sf
Richard Green

Great idea. Or maybe as a side salad.
"Horse" > wrote in message
> Try draining this and serving it cold as a starter.. with some Olive oil
> and
> balsamic..
> and dress it with some finely chopped cucumber..
>
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:11:54 -0600, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Gonna be simmering on the stove today:
>> >
>> > 2 c. brown lentils
>> > 8 c. water
>> > 3 slices bacon, diced
>> > 1 med. onion, chopped
>> > 1/2 c. chopped celery
>> > 1/4 c. chopped carrots
>> > 2 cloves garlic, minced
>> > 2-1/2 tsp. salt
>> > 1 tsp. pepper
>> > 1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed
>> > 3 Tbs. snipped fresh parsley
>> >
>> > Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion,
>> > celery,
>> > carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot. Rinse

> lentils;
>> > drain. Place in the soup pot with the water and seasonings. Cover and
>> > simmer about 2-1/2 hours. 6-8 servings (or in my case, 4, since to me

> soup
>> > is a meal!)
>> >

>> Here's my variation: no bacon or parsley when I make it, I
>> use a can of Italian style stewed tomatoes and omit extra
>> celery and carrots.
>>
>> sf

Damsel in dis Dress

"jmcquown" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Gonna be simmering on the stove today:

Your recipe sounds good, Jill. I'd like to try it sometime. For a little
variety, you might want to try mine sometime, too. I improvised a little
on a Gourmet recipe. The cinnamon was a completely new twist for me, and
it's fantastic!

I'm planning ahead for Easter ham leftovers. If anyone wants more, I'll be
happy to post them. (Anyone know when Easter is this year? I can probably
figure it out when eggs go on sale, but more advance notice would be
appreciated.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Lentil and Ham Soup

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : legumes soups/chowders

1 tablespoon bacon grease -- or butter
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
2 smoked ham hocks
1 pound lentils -- (2 1/2 cups)
1 large carrot -- finely diced
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bay leaf
7 cups water

Saute onion in bacon grease or butter until translucent. Combine all
ingredients and simmer soup, covered partially, stirring occasionally, 1
1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf and remove meat from hocks. Chop meat and stir
into soup.

Source:
"Based on a recipe by Gourmet magazine"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 2925 Calories (kcal); 103g Total Fat; (31% calories from fat);
230g Protein; 276g Carbohydrate; 494mg Cholesterol; 477mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 17 1/2 Grain(Starch); 25 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit;
11 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Bob

Carol wrote:

> I'm planning ahead for Easter ham leftovers. If anyone wants more, I'll
> be happy to post them. (Anyone know when Easter is this year? I can
> probably figure it out when eggs go on sale, but more advance notice would
> be appreciated.)

Easter is March 27 this year. (I didn't know either, but I *did* know when
Mardi Gras was, so I calculated from that.)

Bob

Damsel in dis Dress

"Bob" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Carol wrote:
>
>> (Anyone know when Easter is this year? I can
>> probably figure it out when eggs go on sale, but more advance notice would
>> be appreciated.)

>Easter is March 27 this year. (I didn't know either, but I *did* know when
>Mardi Gras was, so I calculated from that.)

Mardi Gras, huh? LOL! Thanks for letting me know which Saturday night I
should set out the carrots for the Bunny.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Melba's Jammin' >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Damsel's Lentil and Ham Soup

>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

>Dams, I was with you until the cinnamon. I'm not sure I could do that.
>OTOH, I have put about 1/8 tsp of cloves in my spaghetti sauce.

Try making the rest of the soup, then sprinkle just a touch of cinnamon
into one bowl. I'll bet you'll love it. Sounds odd, I know. But, DAYAM!

It would never occur to me to put cloves in spaghetti sauce. Next time I
make a batch of homemade, I try it. In one bowl at first.

Carol

marge kinney

Have you ever tried using stock in place of the water?
Marge
"JimLane" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>>I like mushy soup
>>>
>>>Jill

>> Now all you need is some home made croutons for the top.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Someone else has mentioned a bit of spinach and a squeeze of lemon. In
> Greece, they add some vinegar (balsamic?) at the table.
>

> jim

Lentil Soup jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 9 27-10-2015 07:38 PM
Lentil Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-09-2005 10:18 PM
Ham and Lentil Soup T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 11-03-2005 04:00 AM
REC - Lentil and Ham Soup Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 09-11-2004 07:54 AM