Lorraine

Default English Wartime "Goose"

Recipe & excerpt from "Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook"
by George Abbot Burke

English Wartime "Goose"

This was developed during World War II in England and is delicious!

4 1/2 c. Potatoes, sliced thin
2 c. Apples, sliced thin
1 1/2 c. Yeast or Notzarella Cheez [see below]
1/2 tsp. Sage (dried)
1/4 tsp. Sea salt
1/4 tsp. Black pepper
1 1/2 c. Unchicken Broth [see below]
1 T. Unbleached white flour

Put a layer of potatoes in an oiled or nonstick casserole. Cover with a
layer of apples and a little sage. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Spread with a layer of cheez. Repeat the layers, ending with a layer of
potatoes and a layer of cheez over that. Pour in 1 cup of the liquid and
bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Blend the flour with the rest of the
liquid, pour it into the casserole, and cook 15 more minutes.

Yeast Cheez
1/2 c. Nutritional Yeast flakes
1/2 c. Unbleached white flour
1 tsp. Sea salt
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
2 c. Water
1 Tbsp. Non-dairy margarine
1/2 tsp. Prepared mustard

Mix the dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in the water. Cook over
medium heat while whisking until it thickens and bubbles. Cook 30 seconds
more and remove from heat. Whip in the margarine and mustard. This
thickens when it cools, and thins when heated. Water can be added to thin
it more. This keeps about five days. (Personal note: I use an electric
hand mixer instead of a whisk, as it tends to keep the mixture from getting
so lumpy while cooking.)

Notzarella Cheez
2 c. Water
2 1/4 tsp. Lemon juice
1/3 c. Nutritional Yeast flakes
1/3 c. Rolled oats
1/4 c. Arrowroot
1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
3 Tbsp. Tahini
1 1/2 tsp. Sea salt

Put everything in a blender and blend for 1 minute. Pour into a saucepan
and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Blend with electric mixer
to remove any clumps. Note: This can be frozen, then quickly grated and
sprinkled over dishes such as pizza.

Unchicken Broth
1/2 c. Onions, chopped
4 1/2 tsp. Monosodium glutamate
1 tsp. Sea salt
1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
1/3 c. Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp. Corn oil
2 c. Water

Combine everything and simmer for 5 minutes.

MrFalafel

"Lorraine" > wrote in message >.. .
> Recipe & excerpt from "Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook"
> by George Abbot Burke
>
> English Wartime "Goose"
>
> This was developed during World War II in England and is delicious!
>
> 4 1/2 c. Potatoes, sliced thin
> 2 c. Apples, sliced thin
> 1 1/2 c. Yeast or Notzarella Cheez [see below]
> 1/2 tsp. Sage (dried)
> 1/4 tsp. Sea salt
> 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
> 1 1/2 c. Unchicken Broth [see below]
> 1 T. Unbleached white flour
>
> Put a layer of potatoes in an oiled or nonstick casserole. Cover with a
> layer of apples and a little sage. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
> Spread with a layer of cheez. Repeat the layers, ending with a layer of
> potatoes and a layer of cheez over that. Pour in 1 cup of the liquid and
> bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Blend the flour with the rest of the
> liquid, pour it into the casserole, and cook 15 more minutes.
>

> Yeast Cheez
> 1/2 c. Nutritional Yeast flakes
> 1/2 c. Unbleached white flour
> 1 tsp. Sea salt
> 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
> 2 c. Water
> 1 Tbsp. Non-dairy margarine
> 1/2 tsp. Prepared mustard
>
> Mix the dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in the water. Cook over
> medium heat while whisking until it thickens and bubbles. Cook 30 seconds
> more and remove from heat. Whip in the margarine and mustard. This
> thickens when it cools, and thins when heated. Water can be added to thin
> it more. This keeps about five days. (Personal note: I use an electric
> hand mixer instead of a whisk, as it tends to keep the mixture from getting
> so lumpy while cooking.)
>
> Notzarella Cheez
> 2 c. Water
> 2 1/4 tsp. Lemon juice
> 1/3 c. Nutritional Yeast flakes
> 1/3 c. Rolled oats
> 1/4 c. Arrowroot
> 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
> 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
> 1 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
> 3 Tbsp. Tahini
> 1 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
>
> Put everything in a blender and blend for 1 minute. Pour into a saucepan
> and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Blend with electric mixer
> to remove any clumps. Note: This can be frozen, then quickly grated and
> sprinkled over dishes such as pizza.
>
> Unchicken Broth
> 1/2 c. Onions, chopped
> 4 1/2 tsp. Monosodium glutamate
> 1 tsp. Sea salt
> 1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
> 1/3 c. Nutritional Yeast
> 1 tsp. Corn oil
> 2 c. Water
>
> Combine everything and simmer for 5 minutes.

Looks very interesting! I think I'd leave out the MSG, though as it
doesn't agree with me.

For those of you outside of the US that may have difficulty finding
'Poultry Seasoning', here's a recipe for it:

Poultry Seasoning
3/4 teaspoon sage, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon pepper
dash marjoram
dash cloves

Combine all ingredients. If you make extra, store in an airtight
container.