Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default All a "meat-eater" need do is eat some reasonable portion of ...

"Steve" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:53:26 GMT, The Voice of Reason
> > wrote:
>
>>There is not a vegetarian diet which exists in the real world
>>that could not be improved by the judicious addition of some
>>type of animal product.

> Source, please.

The "Voice of Reason" has a voice, but certainly NO ability to reason.
He can never support any of his claims with facts or logic.
Don't waste your time.

Laurie

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default veg-nism is inherently healthier

"The Voice of Reason" > wrote in message

> My email account is transparent, my name is The Voice of Reason.

Where is the reason?

> It is both arrogant and ignorant of you to dismiss eons of social
> evolution ...

Whoops. Evolution occurs at the -genetic- level, driven by random
mutations, which are then "selected" out to dominate the population,
allegedly because of enhanced "reproductive success".
Societies thus do -not- "evolve"; they do change, but only as the result
of human fantasy and choice, not due to recognized evolutionary mechanisms
or Neural Laws.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

> ... with your stance on morals and ethics.

Morals and ethics similarly are sets of human choices and cultural
beliefs; there is NO objective set of ethics. Thus, I recognize that ethics
are purely idiosyncratic, and it is meaningless to attempt to apply them to
human diet. or any behavior at all.
That is why I speak out against fools that crusade about "animal rights"
and "ethical" veg*nism; that is absolute nonsense, and leads to the amusing
absurdity of two groups of people falsely claiming they are
ethically/morally superior to the other. Hitler, Stalin, and Bush did what
they did because of some self-created set of "ethics".
Human digestion, transportation, and assimilation are controlled by our
genetic code, and THAT is unvarying and fixed.
Thus, the well-documented diseases caused by the cultural diet in those
who falsely believe they can eat what they want with impunity.

http://ecologos.org/meatcan.htm
http://ecologos.org/japcan.htm
http://ecologos.org/meat-heart-death.htm
http://ecologos.org/alz.htm
http://ecologos.org/arthritis.htm
http://www.ecologos.org/anxiety.htm
http://ecologos.org/keto.htm
http://ecologos.org/B-12.htm
http://ecologos.org/cancer.htm
http://ecologos.org/cardio.htm
http://ecologos.org/denature.htm
http://ecologos.org/fat.htm
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/0410...025-11_pf.html
http://ecologos.org/fecal.htm
http://ecologos.org/kidney.htm
http://ecologos.org/meat.htm
http://ecologos.org/meat.htm
http://ecologos.org/pms.htm
http://ecologos.org/pro.htm
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/468037
http://ecologos.org/sids.htm
http://ecologos.org/skeletal.htm
http://ecologos.org/stroke.htm
http://ecologos.org/addict.htm
And the obvious illustrated by your behavior:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6180753.stm

Well, there are several hundred of MY reasons, do you have ANY?
Any, at all, other than your cultural "evolution" programmed into you as
a helpless, non-thinking, infant by similarly-ignorant parents?

> Fortunately for you I don't believe your little tagline ...

My fortune is not related to your unsupportable beliefs; yours. however,
IS. Try to learn how to "reason".

Lairie

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

Ron wrote:
> On Sep 22, 9:33 pm, Dutch > wrote:
>> Ron wrote:
>>> I know exactly what it means.
>>> You are squirming around doing everything possible to divert FOCUS
>>> from my statement.

>> You don't know what it means, you're retarded on so many levels..
>>
>> 1. Diversion and moving the goalposts are not the same
>> 2. I didn't attempt either, and besides..
>> 3. You didn't say anything of substance anyway, you simply
>> blurted out that something was absurd without even attempting to
>> explain why.

> and you are the expert on moving the goalposts?
>
> Why am I not surprised?
>
> You get more practice at it than anyone else on ngs.

More of your content-free drivel.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Laurie wrote:
> "The Voice of Reason" > wrote in message
>
>> My email account is transparent, my name is The Voice of Reason.

> Where is the reason?
>
>> It is both arrogant and ignorant of you to dismiss eons of social
>> evolution ...

> Whoops. Evolution occurs at the -genetic- level, driven by random
> mutations, which are then "selected" out to dominate the population,
> allegedly because of enhanced "reproductive success".
> Societies thus do -not- "evolve"; they do change, but only as the result
> of human fantasy and choice, not due to recognized evolutionary mechanisms
> or Neural Laws.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Evolve means to change gradually you ignorant fraud.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/evolve
–verb 1. to develop gradually

What you are referencing is "Evolutionary Biology"

>> ... with your stance on morals and ethics.

> Morals and ethics similarly are sets of human choices and cultural
> beliefs; there is NO objective set of ethics. Thus, I recognize that ethics
> are purely idiosyncratic, and it is meaningless to attempt to apply them to
> human diet. or any behavior at all.

Utter rubbish, and despite what you believe, repeating rubbish
over and over does not make it true. Modern moral and ethics
evolved out of rudimentary social behaviours in other animals.
These behaviours are evident in all sorts of species, but most
obvious similarities appear in the higher apes. Social customs
serve to make families and troupes safe for individuals and make
them places where members can thrive, bond, and contribute to
the betterment of the group. The most common human ethical
maxim, commonly known as "The Golden Rule" can be seen in chimps
as "tit-for-tat" behaviour that strengthens group ties.

> That is why I speak out against fools that crusade about "animal rights"
> and "ethical" veg*nism; that is absolute nonsense, and leads to the amusing
> absurdity of two groups of people falsely claiming they are
> ethically/morally superior to the other. Hitler, Stalin, and Bush did what
> they did because of some self-created set of "ethics".

No they didn't, they pursued goals of self-enrichment,
aggrandizement and territorial imperialism.

> Human digestion, transportation, and assimilation are controlled by our
> genetic code, and THAT is unvarying and fixed.

No it's not, the body is adaptable, as witnessed by the Inuit
who survived for centuries with almost no plants, and many other
peoples who adapted to locally available foodstuffs.

> Thus, the well-documented diseases caused by the cultural diet in those
> who falsely believe they can eat what they want with impunity.

You mean like vegans who believe that they can avoid ALL animal
products and achieve optimum health?

> And the obvious illustrated by your behavior:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6180753.stm
>
> Well, there are several hundred of MY reasons, do you have ANY?
> Any, at all, other than your cultural "evolution" programmed into you as
> a helpless, non-thinking, infant by similarly-ignorant parents?
>
>> Fortunately for you I don't believe your little tagline ...

> My fortune is not related to your unsupportable beliefs; yours. however,
> IS. Try to learn how to "reason".

That is so ****ing ironic coming from you. The only capacity you
possess in abundance is arrogance.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Steve wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:24:58 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:

>>> The sun.

>> Yes... I was waiting for that one
>>
>> Can you guess some of the flaws with that idea?

> Guessing has no place in this discourse.

Why is that?

> If you have a hypothesis I'm all ears.

I don't have any hypothesis, really. I was just wondering where, in the
real world as it really is for the day to day lives of the average urban
vegan - where did they get their Vit D from? Most of these people get
very little exposure to the sun.

--
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free - Goethe

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

Default Blocking the psychopaths

For some reason, known only to their shrinks, there is a small group
of meat-eaters who haunt vegetarian and vegan ng's ONLY to insult
and attack people who, quite unlike themselves, have a sincere
interest in their diets and health.
Said meat-heads have NO interest in nutrition, since they NEVER
enter into reasonable or science-based discussions; rather. all they
are capable of doing is issuing lies, distortions, insults, vulgarity,
hatred, and personal attacks.
They have no ability to discuss the biochemical issues involved nor
the current scientific research that has conclusively proven that all
"degenerative diseases" are causally linked to the consumption of
animal protein and animal fats.
They have no demonstrable intellectual abilities, whatsoever.
Part of the reasons are revealed he
http://ecologos.org/anxiety.htm (see cortisol information)
http://ecologos.org/alz.htm
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/468037
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/0410...025-11_pf.html

They also seem hopelessly trapped in the juvenile fantasy that
they can feel better about themselves ONLY if they attempt to
denigrate others; this is clearly psychopathic.
The easiest way to defeat them is to simply block them in your
newsreader, since their ONLY objective is to attract attention to
themselves by being annoying, vulgar, and vicious. Deny them the
attention they crave, and they will wither and die.

For the ng newbie:

In Outlook Express: highlight the offensive message:

Message|Ignore conversation

In Thunderbird: highlight the offensive message:

Message|Create filter from message|Perform these actions|Ignore thread

This will block the intentionally-offensive ones AND responses to them.

Periodically, I will unblock them, embarrass them further, repost
these instructions, and block them again; this, as an ongoing public
service.

Laurie

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

On Sep 29, 6:16 am, Laurie > wrote:
> For some reason, known only to their shrinks, there is a small group
> of meat-eaters who haunt vegetarian and vegan ng's ONLY to insult
> and attack people who, quite unlike themselves, have a sincere
> interest in their diets and health.
> Said meat-heads have NO interest in nutrition, since they NEVER
> enter into reasonable or science-based discussions; rather. all they
> are capable of doing is issuing lies, distortions, insults, vulgarity,
> hatred, and personal attacks.
> They have no ability to discuss the biochemical issues involved nor
> the current scientific research that has conclusively proven that all
> "degenerative diseases" are causally linked to the consumption of
> animal protein and animal fats.
> They have no demonstrable intellectual abilities, whatsoever.
> Part of the reasons are revealed hehttp://ecologos.org/anxiety.htm (see cortisol information)http://ecologos.org/alz.htmhttp://ww...025-11_pf.html
>
> They also seem hopelessly trapped in the juvenile fantasy that
> they can feel better about themselves ONLY if they attempt to
> denigrate others; this is clearly psychopathic.
> The easiest way to defeat them is to simply block them in your
> newsreader, since their ONLY objective is to attract attention to
> themselves by being annoying, vulgar, and vicious. Deny them the
> attention they crave, and they will wither and die.
>
> For the ng newbie:
>
> In Outlook Express: highlight the offensive message:
>
> Message|Ignore conversation
>
> In Thunderbird: highlight the offensive message:
>
> Message|Create filter from message|Perform these actions|Ignore thread
>
> This will block the intentionally-offensive ones AND responses to them.
>
> Periodically, I will unblock them, embarrass them further, repost
> these instructions, and block them again; this, as an ongoing public
> service.
>
> Laurie

and it's a much appreciated service.;o)

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

Larry the arrogant and wholly unqualified, uneducated fruitcake
spewed..

> For some reason

Some misguided idiots derive some sort of pseudo-religious
pleasure by embracing extreme dietary dogma. When challenged
they resort to attacking the messengers.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

oups.com...

information)http://ecologos.org/alz.htmhttp://ww.../viewarticle/4
68037http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041025/pf/041025-11_pf.html

> > They also seem hopelessly trapped in the juvenile fantasy that
> > they can feel better about themselves ONLY if they attempt to
> > denigrate others; this is clearly psychopathic.
> > The easiest way to defeat them is to simply block them in your
> > newsreader, since their ONLY objective is to attract attention to
> > themselves by being annoying, vulgar, and vicious. Deny them the
> > attention they crave, and they will wither and die.
> >
> > For the ng newbie:
> >
> > In Outlook Express: highlight the offensive message:
> >
> > Message|Ignore conversation
> >
> > In Thunderbird: highlight the offensive message:
> >
> > Message|Create filter from message|Perform these actions|Ignore thread
> >
> > This will block the intentionally-offensive ones AND responses to

them.

> > Periodically, I will unblock them, embarrass them further, repost
> > these instructions, and block them again; this, as an ongoing public
> > service.
> >
> > Laurie

> and it's a much appreciated service.;o)

And cooking good Vegan food is a munch appreciated service!!!

Nemo.
Ohhhh! It's still like being in heaven, to retire in 2007!!

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

> Larry the arrogant and wholly unqualified, uneducated fruitcake
> spewed..
>
> > For some reason

> Some misguided idiots derive some sort of pseudo-religious
> pleasure by attacking extreme dietary dogma such as mea teeting!

When challenged they resort to attacking the messengers.

The postmen at Southend, Ramsgate, Brighton . . . . .?

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 09:16:00 -0400, Laurie > wrote:

> For the ng newbie:

.. . .

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings

being vegan.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

On Sep 29, 6:16 am, Laurie > wrote:
> For some reason,

The reason is that you're a pseudo-science-spouting FRAUD, forti.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan.science

On Sep 29, 5:14 pm, The Voice of Reason > wrote:
> Larry the arrogant and wholly unqualified, uneducated fruitcake
> spewed..
>
> > For some reason

> Some misguided idiots derive some sort of pseudo-religious
> pleasure by embracing extreme dietary dogma. When challenged
> they resort to attacking the messengers.

gee that sounds EXACTLY like what Jonnie Goo Ball does.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.veg,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:30:30 -0400, "Laurie" > wrote:

>"usual suspect" > wrote in message
>> blanket claims that veg-nism is inherently healthier

> It is.
> It is not like you to actually to seek out logical support for your
>crackpot beliefs by reading, so apparently you, missed TCCampnell's The
>China Study.
>http://tinyurl.com/2v689m
> The largest epidemiological study ever done showed conclusively that the
>consumption of animal fat and animal protein CAUSE Wastern "degenerative
>diseases".
>
>> -- not to mention more ethical --

> Ethics is a bogus issue raised by the woefully ignorant.
>
>>. Compare healthy meat diets to healthy veg-n diets, ...

> Just how does one determine a cut-off point in data like this?
> http://ecologos.org/meatcan.htm
> http://ecologos.org/japcan.htm
> http://ecologos.org/meat-heart-death.htm
> http://ecologos.org/anxiety.htm
> http://ecologos.org/pix/Health/cause-effect.jpg
>
> Laurie

Almost regardless of the health issues, consider the ethics of it.

Go Veggie.

Gandhi knew the score.

http://oaks.nvg.org/se3ra12.html
Gandhi Quotations

Gandhi
Below are about 200 quotations of Mohandas (Mahatma) Gandhi
(1869-1948), and some 70 extracts (abridged Gandhi statements) in
addition. They are intermingled. Main sources for the page references
are found near the bottom of the page.

A [good] student is he who continuously uses his faculty of
observation, puts two and two together and carves out for himself a
path in life. [Gandhi, XXVI-877]

A balanced intellect presupposes a harmonious growth of body, mind and
soul. [Gandhi, MM-379]

A beginning step in nonviolence is that we cultivate in our daily life
truthfulness, enough tolerance, and some loving. [Mod. Gandhi,
T-4-236]

A government builds its prestige upon the apparently voluntary
association of the governed. [Gandhi, T-2-45]

God must rule the heart and transform it. [Cf. saying by Gandhi]
A mouse hardly forgives a cat when it allows itself to be torn to
pieces by her. [Gandhi, T-24]

A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its
people. [Gandhi, T-5-10]

A perfect Muslim is he from whose tongue and hands mankind is safe.
[Gandhi, T-7-309]

An all-round village service-man [samagra gramsevak] has to know
everybody living in the village and render them such service as he
can. [With Gandhi, T-7-46]

A satyagrahi is to be law-abiding. [With Gandhi, MM-170]

A satyagrahi must ceaselessly strive to realize and live truth.
[Gandhi, T-8-9]

A satyagrahi should have a living faith in God. [Gandhi, T-5-92]

A soldier fights with an irresistible strength when he has blown up
his bridges and burnt his boats. Even so, it is with a soldier of
non-violence. [Gandhi, T-5-127]

A true Brahmin should be the very image of humility and not be proud
of his knowledge or wisdom. [Gandhi, T-3-270]

A university needs most of all the intelligent backing of people. [Cf.
Gandhi, T-8-165]

A votary of non-violence . . . will strive for the greatest good of
all and die in the attempt to realize the ideal. [Gandhi, TIG-139]

A warrior, whether offensive or defensive, suffers a collapse if he
finds that his warring capacity is unwanted. [With Gandhi, T-5-296]

Above and beyond Light and Life God is conscience. [With Gandhi,
XXVI-224]

Agricultural colleges to be worthy of the name must be
self-supporting. [Gandhi, EWE-26]

All the dry ethics of the world turn to dust because apart from God
they are lifeless. [Gandhi, MM-72]

Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always
aim at purifying your thoughts . . . [Gandhi]

An awakened people who rely upon their nonviolent strength are
independent in the face of any conceivable combination of the armed
powers. [Gandhi, T-5-19]

As the state is a soulless machine, the soul can never be weaned from
violence. [Cf. Gandhi, T-4-11]

Belief in God has to be based on faith which transcends reason. [Cf.
Gandhi, MM-54]

Buddha emphasized and redeclared the eternal and unalterable existence
of the moral government of this universe. [Gandhi, T-2-293]

Buddha never rejected Hinduism, but he broadened its base. He gave it
a new life and a new interpretation. [Gandhi, T-2-292]

By reckless indulgence in their passions, parents serve for their
children as models for unrestrained license. [Gandhi, T-2-224]

Cities dominate and drain the villages. [With Gandhi, MM-370]

Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the state has become
corrupt enough. [With Gandhi, T-2-76]

Civil disobedience is not only the natural right of a people,
especially when they have no effective voice in their own Government,
but that it is also a substitute for violence or armed rebellion.
[Gandhi, T-3-153]

Civil disobedience is the assertion of a right which law should give
but which it denies. [Gandhi, T-6-13]

Civilization based on nonviolence must be different from that
organized for violence. [Gandhi, T-5-209]

Civilizations have come and gone and, in spite of our vaunted
progress, I am tempted to ask again and again, 'To what purpose?'
[Gandhi, T-2-295]

Consider writing as a fine art . . . [Gandhi, T-4-164]

Contraceptives are an insult to womanhood. [Gandhi, MM-288]

Cow preservation is an article of faith in Hinduism. [Gandhi, T-3-290]

Cowardice and non-violence don't go together any more than water and
fire. [Gandhi, T-5-189]

Crime is [in part] a product of the prevalent social system. [Cf.
Gandhi, MM-160]

Death is blessed for someone who dies for truth. [Abr. Gandhi,
T-2-237]

Decency must be capable of standing the severest strain. [Mod Gandhi,
T-8-132]

Democracy and dependence on the military and police are incompatible.
[Gandhi, MM-347]

Democracy can only represent the average, if not less than the
average. [Gandhi, MM-343]

Democracy is not a state in which people act like sheep. [Gandhi,
MM-341]

Democracy, disciplined and enlightened, is [one of the] finest
thing[s] in the world. [With Gandhi, MM-338]

Dharma is what is enjoined by holy books, followed by real sages, and
appeals to the heart. [Cf. Gandhi, MM-65]

Differences of opinion should never mean hostility. [Gandhi, MM-10]

Dignity of human nature requires that we must face the storms of life.
[Gandhi, T-3-130]

Disorder and violence might check the pace of India's progress. [With
Gandhi, T-7-22]

Do not waste even a minute of your time. [With Gandhi, XXVI-272]

Drink [severe drink] makes a man forget himself [and] become less than
a beast. [With Gandhi, XXVI-350]

Drink is not a fashion in India as it is in the West. [Gandhi,
T-2-228]

Economic equality is the master-key to nonviolent independence.
[Gandhi, MM-257]

Economics that hurt the moral well-being of an individual or a nation
are immoral and therefore sinful. [Gandhi, MM-263]

Education should be so revolutionized as to answer the wants of the
poorest villager, instead of answering those of an imperial exploiter.
[Gandhi, T-4-182]

Europe is today only nominally Christian. It is really worshipping
Mammon. [Gandhi, TIG-143]

Every affliction has its own rich lesson to teach, if we would learn
it. [Gandhi, T-8-24]

Evil can never result from good action. [Gandhi, XXV-520]

Far better than emasculation would be the bravery of those who use
physical force. Far better than cowardice would be meeting one's death
fighting. [Gandhi, T-4-237]

Fight if you must on the path of righteousness and God will be with
you. [Gandhi, MM-206]

For a nonviolent struggle [the] blind, the maimed and the bed-ridden
may serve, and not only men but women also. [Gandhi, T-4-141]

For me the Inner Voice or 'the still small voice' mean one and the
same thing. [With Gandhi, TIG-2]

Forgiveness adorns a soldier. [Gandhi, T-2-4]

Go on discovering new applications of the law of non-violence [to]
profit by it. [With Gandhi, T-5-80]

God alone is truth and everything else is transitory and illusory.
[Gandhi, XXVI-265]

God has enabled man to distinguish between his sister, his mother, his
daughter and his wife. [Gandhi, MM-272]

God is conscience. He is even the atheism of the atheist. [Gandhi,
TIG-10]

God must rule the heart and transform it. [Cf. Gandhi, TIG-8]

God was the only infallible help, guide and friend. [Abr. Gandhi,
T-8-97]

God-given religion is beyond all speech. [Gandhi, TIG-65]

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in
harmony. [Gandhi]

Have orderliness and peace and repose in the daily acts. [Mod. Gandhi,
TIG-43]

Himsa [violence etc.] does not need to be taught. [Gandhi, T-5-316]

Hindus, if they want unity among different races, must have the
courage to trust the minorities. [Gandhi, T-2-133]

I acknowledge no other God but the one God of truth and righteousness.
[Gandhi, T-2-375]

I always base my optimism on solid facts. [Gandhi, T-2-152]

I am a seasoned soldier of nonviolence, and I have evidence enough to
sustain my faith. [Gandhi, T-5-222]

I am not anti-English, I am not anti-British, I am not anti-any
Government, but I am anti-untruth, anti-humbug and anti-injustice.
[Gandhi, MM-322]

I can no more tolerate the yoke of Bolshevism as described by [the
humanist] Mr. [M. N.] Roy * than of capitalism. [Gandhi, XXV-531]

I can see that in the midst of death life persists, in the midst of
untruth truth persists, in the midst of darkness light persists. Hence
I gather that God is life, Truth, Light. He is Love. He is the supreme
good. [Gandhi, T-2-313]

I declare that we cannot win Swaraj for our famishing millions, for
our deaf and dumb, for our lame and crippled, by the way of the sword.
[Gandhi, T-3-77]

I desire no honour if I have to conceal my religious beliefs in order
to have it. [Gandhi, XIV-235]

I find a solace in the Bhagavadgita and Upanishads that I miss even in
the Sermon on the Mount. [Gandhi, MM-94]

I have always counted myself as a woman. [Gandhi, T-7-87]

I have evidence enough to sustain my faith. [Gandhi, T-5-222]

I have looked up the dictionary meaning of socialism. It takes me no
further than where I was before I read the definition. [Gandhi,
BUNCH-118]

I have never, even in my dream, thought that . . . others were alpatma
(little soul). [Gandhi, T-5-161]

I have not hesitated to call the system of Government under which we
are labouring 'satanic' and I withdraw naught out of it. [Gandhi,
T-2-200]

I have sacrificed no principle to gain a political advantage. [Gandhi,
XXVI-285]

I know of no . . . sect that has done or is doing without its house of
God. [Gandhi, T-3-194]

I must declare my faith that it is better for India to discard
violence altogether even for defending her borders. [Gandhi, T-5-178]

I own no property and am perhaps the richest man in the world. [Mod
Gandhi, XXVI-561]

I refuse to be blown off my feet by any. [Gandhi]

I want freedom for the full expression on my personality. [Gandhi]

I would like to say that even the teaching themselves of the Koran
cannot be exempt from criticism. [Gandhi, XXVI-226]

I would not sell the vital interests of the untouchables for the sake
of winning the freedom of India. [Gandhi, T-3-128]

If India becomes the slave of the machine, then, I say, heaven save
the world. [Gandhi, MM-404]

If one man gains spiritually, the whole world gains with him. [Gandhi,
XXV-390]

If Swaraj is to be had by peaceful methods, it will only be attained
by attention to every little detail of national life. [Gandhi,
T-2-360]

If the lambs of the world had been willingly led, they would have long
ago saved themselves . . . [Gandhi, T-2-52 - (Heh!)

If the mad race for armaments continues, it is bound to result in a
slaughter such as has never occurred in history. [Gandhi, MM-4]

If the promise inscribed on a promissory note is not honoured, the
promissory note is worth nothing and fit only to be burn to pieces and
thrown away. [Gandhi, T-7-118]

If untouchability is eradicated from the Hindu heart, root and branch,
then Hinduism has a definite message for the world. [Gandhi, T-4-99]

If we all discharge our duties, rights will not be far to seek.
[Gandhi, XXV-564]

If we are nonviolent through and through, our nonviolence would have
been self-evident. [Gandhi, T-3-298]

If we have listening ears, God speaks to us in our own language,
whatever that language be. [Gandhi, T-7-110]

If you have no character to lose, people will have no faith in you.
[Gandhi, T-3-234]

If you must kill English officials, why not kill me instead? [Gandhi,
T-3-102]

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes
from others without thinking evil of them. [Gandhi, XXV-509]

Imperialism . . . does ungodly acts in the name of God. [Gandhi,
XXV-19]

In a nonviolent army, the authority of the general and the officers is
a moral one, mainly. [Cf. Gandhi, T-4-298]

In all the countries in the world, possession of inordinate wealth by
individuals should be held as a loss of humanity. [Cf. Gandhi,
T-4-174]

In God lies ethics and morality.*

In mass civil resistance leadership is essential; in individual civil
resistance every resister is his own leader. [Gandhi, T-3-310]

In my humble opinion, non-co-operation with evil is as much a duty as
is co-operation with good. [Gandhi, T-2-100]

In nature cure, everybody can be his or her own doctor, not so in the
various systems of medicine. [Gandhi, TIG-1]

In satyagraha, a courted imprisonment carries its own inward praise,
at least. [Cf. Gandhi, T-5-302]

In Swaraj [self-rule], it is necessary for [people] to know their
duties. [Gandhi, MM-135]

In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in an clearer
light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal
clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth. [Gandhi]

In the case of the Indian villager, an age-old culture is hidden under
entrustment of crudeness. [Gandhi, MM-362]

In the dictionary of satyagraha [holding on to truth, etc.], there is
no enemy. [Gandhi, T-5-162]

In the midst of untruth truth persists. [Gandhi, T-2-313]

India free from exploitation from within and without must prosper with
astonishing rapidity. [Gandhi, T-3-72]

India's way is not Europe's, and India lives in seven hundred thousand
villages. [With Gandhi, XXVI-286]

Intolerance is . . . disgraceful. [Abr. Gandhi, T-7-396]

It is a bad carpenter who quarrels with his tools. [Gandhi, T-4-167]

It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim
to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince
of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice. [Gandhi,
TIG-145]

It is poor faith that needs fair weather for standing firm. That alone
is true faith that stands the foulest weather. [Gandhi, XXV-337]

It was against the spirit of non-violence to overawe even one person
into submission. [Gandhi, T-7-388]

It was the cowards who died many times before their death. [Gandhi,
T-7-110]

Khaddar brings a ray of hope to the widow's broken-up home. [Gandhi,
T-2-256]

Let no one try to justify the glaring difference between . . . the
prince and the pauper by saying that the former need more. [Gandhi,
T-7-47]

Life becomes livable only to the extent that death is treated as a
friend, never as an enemy. [Gandhi, T-8-205]

Literature, full of the virus of itself-indulgence, served out in
attractive forms, is flooding this country from the West, and there is
the greatest need for our youth to be on their guard. [Gandhi,
T-2-319]

Man who forsakes Truth can forsake his country and his nearest and
dearest ones. [Gandhi, T-2-236]

Many persons claiming different faiths make us one and an indivisible
nation. All these have an equal claim to be the nationals of India.
[Gandhi, T-8-65]

Marriage is a comfort man or woman seeks for himself or herself. [With
Gandhi, XXVI-285]

Marriage must cease to be arranged by parents for money. [Cf. Gandhi,
MM-298]

Mass illiteracy is India's sin and shame and must be liquidated.
[Gandhi, EWE-29]

Men like me feel that untouchability is . . . an excrescence. [Gandhi,
T-3-183]

Modern civilization has taught us to convert night into day and golden
silence into brazen din and noise. [Gandhi, TIG-60]

Modern civilization is the kingdom of Satan, and ancient civilization
[of India] is the Kingdom of God. [With Gandhi, X-189]

Mother cow is as useful dead as when she is alive. [Gandhi, MM-387]

Much can be judged by the way animals are treated. [Cf. Gandhi]

Much machinery merely helps a few to ride on the backs of millions.
[Mod. Gandhi, T-2-161]

My austerities, fastings and prayers are, I know of no value, if I
rely upon them for reforming me. [Gandhi, TIG-153]

My conception of dominion status implies present ability to sever the
British connection if I wish to. [Gandhi, T-2-382]

My errors have not been in appreciating the true nature of truth and
non-violence or in their application. [Mod Gandhi, T-2-204]

My experiments I hold to be infinitely more important than the best
equipped Himalayan expeditions. [Gandhi, MM-8]

My heart rebels against any foreigner imposing on my country the peace
which is here, called Pax Britannica. [Gandhi, T-2-201]

My machinery must be of the [simple] type which I can put in the home
of the millions. [With Gandhi, T-3-135]

My motto is "Unite now, today if you can; fight if you must. But in
every case avoid British intervention." [Gandhi, XXVI-233]

My religion and my patriotism derived from my religion embrace all
life. [Gandhi, T-2-353]

My Swaraj [self-rule] takes note of . . . the weakest of the weak, and
except the spinning wheel I know no other thing which befriends all
these. [Gandhi, XXV-564]

Nature abhors weakness. [Gandhi, T-2-240]

Never contemplate hurting anyone by thought, word or deed. [Gandhi,
T-8-9]

No country can become a nation by producing a race of imitators.
[Gandhi, EWE-474]

No democracy is possible without [a measure of] non-violence at the
back of it. [Cf. Gandhi, MM-348]

No general ever won a victory by following the principle of 'being
vigilant so long as he could'. [Gandhi, T-2-365]

No one should compel a satyagrahi to give evidence against a person
who had confessed to him. [Cf. Gandhi, T-7-190]

No sophistry can explain away the evidence that the skeletons in many
villages present. [Cf. Gandhi, T-2-99]

No stone should be left unturned to bring home to the family members
that untouchability is a sin and a blot on Hinduism. [Gandhi, T-4-158]

Non-co-operation [may] pave the way to real honourable and voluntary
co-operation based on mutual respect and trust. [With Gandhi, XX-162]

Non-co-operation is a measure of discipline and sacrifice, and it
demands respect for the opposite views. [Gandhi, T-2-12]

Non-co-operation means refusal both to help the sinner in his sin and
to accept any help or gift from him till he has repented. [Gandhi,
XX-34]

Non-violence is . . . to be practised by everybody in all the affairs
of life. [Gandhi, MM-24]

Non-violence is one of the world's great principles which no power on
earth can wipe out. [Gandhi, MM-147]

Nonviolence is the virtue of the manly. The coward is innocent of it.
[Gandhi, XXV-138]

Nonviolent non-co-operation was the only alternative to anarchy and
worse. [Gandhi, T-2-149]

Nonviolent non-co-operation, I am convinced, is sacred duty at times.
[Gandhi, T-2-149]

Nonviolent non-co-operators can only succeed when they have succeeded
in attaining control over the hooligans of India. [Gandhi, T-2-83]

Of all the superstitions that affect India, none is so great as that a
knowledge of the English language is necessary for imbibing ideas of
liberty and developing accuracy of thought. [Gandhi, EWE-10]

On earth, never relinquish truth with as much non-violence as can be
had*.

Once truly awakened, the nation will not be satisfied with reform only
in one department of life. [Gandhi, T-2-227]

One rupee can purchase for us poison or nectar, but knowledge or
devotion cannot buy us either salvation or bondage. [Gandhi, T-2-309]

Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth, and the soul
requires inward restfulness to attain its full height. [Gandhi,
TIG-61]

People must learn the art of civil or voluntary obedience. [Gandhi,
T-4-10]

Performance of duty and observance of morality are convertible terms.
[Gandhi, X-37]

Persistent questioning and healthy inquisitiveness are the first
requisite for acquiring learning of any kind. [Gandhi, MM-377]

Prayer is a confession of one's unworthiness and weakness. [Gandhi,
TIG-48]

Proper self-confidence [shradda, or faith] means faith in God. [Cf.
Gandhi, XXV-88]

Purity of life is the highest and truest art. [Gandhi, MM-57]

Real non-co-operation is non-co-operation with evil and not with the
evildoer. [Gandhi, T-2-200]

Real socialism had been handed down to us by our ancestors who taught:
'All land belongs to Gopal, where then is boundary line?' [Gandhi,
T-4-114]

Refrain as far as is humanly possible from violence. [Gandhi, T-7-61]

Religions are meant to bind men. [With Gandhi, MM-68]

Remember constructive satyagraha. [Cf. Gandhi, T-7-148]

Salvation is being well in every way. [With Gandhi, TIG-116]

Salvation of the Gita is perfect peace. [Gandhi, TIG-100]

Satan mostly employs the language of ethics to give his aims an air of
respectability. [With Gandhi, T-2-17]

Satyagraha as conceived by me is a science in the making. [Gandhi,
MM-168]

Satyagraha depends in part on a wholesome public opinion shorn of all
bitterness. [Mod. Gandhi, T-5-54]

Satyagraha includes a determination to search truth. [Mod. Gandhi,
XXVI-273]

Satyagraha is also a determination to search truth. [With Gandhi,
XXVI-273]

Scientific knowledge does not exclude probing into the why and
wherefore of every little process that you perform. [With Gandhi,
T-7-36]

Seek ye first the spinning-wheel and its concomitants and everything
else will be added unto you. [Gandhi, T-2-263]

Self-defence . . . is the only honourable course where there is
unreadiness for self-immolation. [Gandhi, MM-145]

Since God resides in every atom, He resides in an idol. [Gandhi,
T-3-219]

So far as I can see, the atomic bomb has deadened finest feeling that
has sustained mankind for ages. TIG-1]

Something constructed non-violently must be able to withstand attacks
from without and within. [Cf. Gandhi, T-6-27]

Sons of millionaires, who are of age and yet inherit their parents'
wealth, are losers for the very inheritance. [Gandhi, T-4-175]

Swadeshi can be ridden of death if it is made a fetish. [With Gandhi,
MM-415]

Swaraj means a state such that we can maintain our separate existence
without the presence of English. [Gandhi, T-2-19]

Terrorism and deception are weapons not of the strong but of the weak.
[Gandhi, T-2-20]

Terrorism must be held to be wrong in every case. [Gandhi, XXV-442]

That I want to destroy the British imperialism is another matter, but
I want to do so by converting those who are associated with it.
[Gandhi, T-4-93]

The acme of satyagraha for us would be to lay down our lives for the .
.. . just cause. [Gandhi, T-7-194]

The art of producing good music from a cultivated voice can be
achieved by many, but the art of producing that music from the harmony
of a pure life is achieved very rarely. [Gandhi, TIG-109]

The best way of losing a cause is to abuse your opponent and to trade
upon his weakness. [Gandhi, T-51]

The body cannot exist without blood, and the soul needs strength of
faith. [With Gandhi, TIG-112]

The call of the spinning wheel is . . . the call of love. And love is
Swaraj. [Gandhi, T-2-63]

The central fact of Hinduism is cow protection. [Gandhi, MM-388]

The Divine Radio is always singing if we could only make ourselves
ready to listen to it, but it is impossible to listen without silence.
[Gandhi, TIG-60]

The English language is so elastic that you can find another word to
say the same thing. [Gandhi, T-5-150]

The fullest application of non-violence does make life impossible.
[Gandhi, XXVI-335]

The future depends in part on what we do in the present. [With Gandhi]

The Germans were defeated not because they were necessarily in the
wrong, but because the allied powers were found to possess greater
brute strength. [Gandhi, T-2-20]

The meaning of prayer is that . . . without it I should have been a
lunatic long ago. [Gandhi, T-5-147; T-3-110 (Hum)]

The newspapers had become more important to the average man than the
scriptures. [Gandhi, T-7-375]

The nonviolence I teach is active nonviolence of the strongest. But
the weakest can partake in it without becoming weaker. [Gandhi,
XXVI-140]

The only real and reliable guarantee for khadi would be the honesty,
truthfulness and sincerity of khadi workers. [Gandhi, T-7-20]

The pilgrimage to Swaraj is a painful climb. [Gandhi, MM-320]

The principle of non-violence is hurt by every evil thought, by undue
haste, by lying, by hatred, by wishing ill to anybody. [Gandhi,
TIG-36]

The religion of our conception, thus imperfect, is always subject to a
process of evolution and re-interpretation. [Gandhi, TIG-65]

The restoration of spinning to its central place in India's peaceful
campaign for deliverance from the imperial yoke gives her women a
special status. [Gandhi, T-5-206]

The restoration of spinning to its central place in India's peaceful
campaign for deliverance from the imperial yoke gives her women a
special status. [Gandhi, T-5-206]

The rich can hardly accumulate wealth without the co-operation of the
poor in society. [Mod. Gandhi, MM-271]

The right way to spread vegetarianism is to reason out its beauties,
which should be exhibited in lives. [Mod Gandhi, T-8-175]

The schools and colleges are really a factory for turning out clerks
for Government. [Gandhi, T-2-13]

The sky may be overcast today with clouds, but . . . [With Gandhi,
T-4-29]

The socialistic conception of the West was born in an environment
reeking with violence. [Gandhi, MM-251]

The spinning wheel to me a decisive sign of nonviolence. [Gandhi,
T-5-277]

The spirit of democracy cannot be established in the midst of
terrorism, whether governmental or popular. [Gandhi, MM-347]

The sword is too much in evidence among the Mussalmans. It must be
sheathed if Islam is to be what it means: peace. [Gandhi, T-2-237]

The sword of passive resistance does not require a scabbard. [Gandhi,
X-51]

The temples are for the sinners, not for the saints. [Gandhi, T-3-271]

The truest test of civilization, culture and dignity is character and
not clothing. [Gandhi, XXVI-258]

The yajna . . . for us is the spinning wheel. [Gandhi, T-2-247]

There is always the fear of self-righteousness possessing us, the fear
of arrogating to ourselves a superiority that we do not possess.
[Gandhi, T-5-243]

There is no occasion for women to consider themselves subordinate or
inferior to men. [Gandhi, MM-297]

There is no time limit for a satyagrahi. [Gandhi, XXVI-159]

This belief in the necessity of English training has enslaved us. It
has unfitted us for true national service. [Gandhi, EWE-8]

This canker of untouchability has travelled far beyond its prescribed
limits and has sapped the very foundations of the whole nation.
[Gandhi, T-3-182]

Though God may be Love, God is Truth above all. [Gandhi, T-3-144]

Through the deliverance of India, I seek to deliver the so-called
weaker races of the earth from the crushing heels of Western
exploitation in which England is the greatest partner. [Gandhi,
T-2-327]

Time is wealth, and the Gita says the Great Annihilator annihilates
those who waste time. [Gandhi, T-2-274]

To answer brutality with brutality can only start a vicious circle.
[With Gandhi, MM-146]

To get rid of the infatuation for English is one of the essentials of
Swaraj. [Gandhi, EWE-46]

To me God is Truth and Love. [Gandhi, TIG-10]

To safeguard democracy the people must have a keen sense of
independence, self-respect and their oneness. [Gandhi, MM-339]

True education must correspond to the surrounding circumstances or it
is not a healthy growth. [Gandhi, XXVI-275]

True non-violence should mean a complete freedom from ill-will and
anger and hate and an overflowing love for all. [Gandhi, T-2-318]

True non-violence should wear a smile even on deathbed . . . [Gandhi,
T-5-243]

Trusting can never mean trusting with the lip and mistrusting in the
heart. [Mod Gandhi, XXV-436]

Truth and nonviolence are no cloistered virtues but are applicable as
much in the forum and the legislatures as in the market-place.
[Gandhi, T-4-161]

Truth and nonviolence are no cloistered virtues but are applicable as
much in the forum and the legislatures as in the marketplace. [Gandhi,
T-4-161]

Truth is my God. nonviolence is [a step in the] means of realising
Him. [Mod. Gandhi, XXV-558]

Truth is superior to many a man's wisdom. [Mod Gandhi, T-2-143]

Truth is the law of our being. [Gandhi, MM-444]

Truth requires a calm and meditative atmosphere for its percolation.
[With Gandhi, T-3-269]

Two of the sins in the world: Pleasure without conscience, politics
without principle. [Gandhi]

Untouchability is a blot on Hinduism. It is a canker eating into its
vitals. [Gandhi, T-3-223]

Vacation is the period when the students' minds, free from the routine
work, are left free for self-help and original development. [With
Gandhi, T-2-373]

Vaccination is a bit harmful in the long run, just like eating beef.
[With Gandhi, T-3-4]

Vice pays homage to virtue at times. [Cf. Gandhi, T-3-3]

Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is
momentary. [Gandhi, 'Satyagraha Leaflet No. 13,' May 3, 1919]

We can try to canalize economic trends, we can't run against them in a
head-on collision. [Gandhi, T-7-185]

We ought to understand our national institution. [Gandhi, MM-310]

We see the fatigue overcoming the Western nations. [Gandhi, T-2-199]

What crimes, for which we condemn the Government as satanic, have we
not been guilty of towards our own untouchable brethren? [Gandhi,
T-2-36]

What I have been striving and pining for these thirty years, is
self-realization. [Gandhi, T-2-217]

What I object to is the craze for machinery, not machinery as such.
[Gandhi, T-2-161]

What is impossible with man is child's play with God. [Gandhi,
T-3-137]

What is really needed to make democracy function is not knowledge of
facts, but right education. [Gandhi, T-7-209]

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it. [Gandhi]

Where there is love, there is life. [Gandhi, MM-417]

Why should I need an artist to explain a work of art to me? Why should
it not speak out to me itself? [Gandhi, T-4-93]

Without devotion, action and knowledge are cold and dry, and may even
become shackles. [Gandhi, MOG-26]

Woman is not designed to organize on a large scale. [With Gandhi,
XXV-153]

Work achieved through aggressive picketing will be of doubtful worth.
[Gandhi, T-3-63]

Yajna is service to be rendered throughout the day. [Mod Gandhi,
MM-2298]

You assist an administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
[Gandhi, T-3-26]

You cannot build nonviolence on a factory civilization, but it can be
built on self-contained villages. [Gandhi, MM-369]

Literature
MM: Mind of Mahatma Gandhi (Ed. Prabhu & Rao), 3rd ed,
Ahmedabad: Navajivan Publishing House, 1968
T: (Followed by Vol. No.) Mahatma (D.G. Tendulkar) Vols. 1-8;
2nd ed. 1960, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and
Broadcasting, Government of India
I to XXVI: The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Publications
Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of
India
TIG: Truth is God, Ed. R. K. Prabhu. Ahmedabad: Navajivan
Publishing House, 1955
EWE: Evil Wrought by the English Medium, R. K. Prabhu.
Ahmedabad: Navajivan Publishing House, 1958.
MOG: The Message of the Gita, R. K. Prabhu. Ahmedabad: Navajivan
Publishing House, 1959.
MGCG: Mahatma Gandhi: Correspondence with the Government.
Ahmedabad: Navajivan Publishing House, 1959.
Bunch: A Bunch of Old Letters, J. Nehru. Asia, 1958.

Collected Works of Gandhi On-line: [Link]

Also, most of these citations, and many others, are arranged
thematically he [Link].

To find references of other Gandhi works, search on the page you get
to by clicking on 'Literature' below.

USER'S GUIDE to abbreviations, the site's bibliography, letter
codes, dictionaries, site design and navigation, tips for searching
the site and page referrals. [LINK]
DISCLAIMER: [LINK]
© 2005€“2008, Tormod Kinnes. All rights reserved. [E-MAIL]

Viactiv: calcium supplement. What the...? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 27 20-05-2009 02:36 AM
Why Modern People Need GTF Supplement? Syahin Diabetic 0 21-09-2008 04:12 AM
DIABETIC SUPPLEMENT josie Diabetic 0 10-06-2008 06:15 AM
FT supplement wine investments John T Wine 1 11-06-2007 01:33 PM
Best natural gas grills (to supplement my WSM) [email protected] Barbecue 2 07-04-2006 01:57 AM