Rubystars

Default Exotic fruits

Apples and oranges are extremely boring.

I want to try exotic fruits and vegetables, like black sapote, taro, durian,
and lychees.

Does anyone have a good idea where I might be able to order some? I'd talk
to the produce guy at my local HEB but he doesnt' understand English very
well.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
> Apples and oranges are extremely boring.
>
> I want to try exotic fruits and vegetables, like black sapote, taro, durian,
> and lychees.

Taro is a tuber, not a fruit; it grows into a plant like elephant ears.
You can get it at HEB or Fiesta. You'll find oranges much more exciting,
imo. When cooked into poi, it's pretty bland and starchy. Mmm...
http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/poi.jpg

Black sapote (sapote negro) is like a persimmon. You can find them at
Mexican markets, but you'll probably face the same problem you're having
at HEB. Lychees are usually available fresh (and always available canned
in syrup) at Asian markets; I've only seen them once at HEB. You can
sometimes get them at Mexican markets. Same with durians. I often see
both at Asian supermarkets if I pay attention.

> Does anyone have a good idea where I might be able to order some? I'd talk
> to the produce guy at my local HEB but he doesnt' understand English very
> well.

Try printing out pictures and say, "Yo deseo éstos, por favor" ("I want
these, please"). Or find another employee who speaks English.

Donna Schakelaar

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:34:57 GMT, usual suspect > wrote:

> Rubystars wrote:
>> Apples and oranges are extremely boring.
>>
>> I want to try exotic fruits and vegetables, like black sapote, taro,
>> durian,
>> and lychees.

> Taro is a tuber, not a fruit; it grows into a plant like elephant ears.
> You can get it at HEB or Fiesta. You'll find oranges much more exciting,
> imo. When cooked into poi, it's pretty bland and starchy. Mmm...
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/poi.jpg

While I can't comment on where to find taro etc in your area [although if
you are ever in my neck of the woods, these exotic fruit and vegetables are
the norm], I suggest checking out the local Cypriot population. For some
reason they use quite a bit of taro.

> Black sapote (sapote negro) is like a persimmon. You can find them at
> Mexican markets, but you'll probably face the same problem you're having
> at HEB. Lychees are usually available fresh (and always available canned
> in syrup) at Asian markets; I've only seen them once at HEB. You can
> sometimes get them at Mexican markets. Same with durians. I often see
> both at Asian supermarkets if I pay attention.

Black sapote icecream! One of my favourites!

>> Does anyone have a good idea where I might be able to order some? I'd
>> talk
>> to the produce guy at my local HEB but he doesnt' understand English
>> very
>> well.

> Try printing out pictures and say, "Yo deseo éstos, por favor" ("I want
> these, please"). Or find another employee who speaks English.

usual suspect

Donna Schakelaar wrote:
>>> Apples and oranges are extremely boring.
>>>
>>> I want to try exotic fruits and vegetables, like black sapote, taro,
>>> durian,
>>> and lychees.

>> Taro is a tuber, not a fruit; it grows into a plant like elephant
>> ears. You can get it at HEB or Fiesta. You'll find oranges much more
>> exciting, imo. When cooked into poi, it's pretty bland and starchy.
>> Mmm...
>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/poi.jpg

> While I can't comment on where to find taro etc in your area [although
> if you are ever in my neck of the woods, these exotic fruit and
> vegetables are the norm], I suggest checking out the local Cypriot
> population. For some reason they use quite a bit of taro.

Houston has a Cypriot population, but Rubystars lives way out on the
outskirts of town. I didn't know they used much taro. I know Mexicans
and Central Americans do, which is why I listed Fiesta and suggested
Mexican markets below.

>> Black sapote (sapote negro) is like a persimmon. You can find them at
>> Mexican markets, but you'll probably face the same problem you're
>> having at HEB. Lychees are usually available fresh (and always
>> available canned in syrup) at Asian markets; I've only seen them once
>> at HEB. You can sometimes get them at Mexican markets. Same with
>> durians. I often see both at Asian supermarkets if I pay attention.

> Black sapote icecream! One of my favourites!

That's lovely. It's also commonly used as a filling for Mexican
pastries, with lots of cinnamon blended into the pulp, and in smoothies
(again, with cinnamon). The Guatemalans ferment it and make a liqueur.

<...>

rick etter

Just a note. What keeps these exotic fruits in the realm of 'vegan' when
they have to be imported from all around the world?
seems the contributions of supporting the petro-chemical industry would be
kinda against the whole idea behind vegaism of causing the least amount of
harm as possible. But then, vegans here on usenet can't be accused of
really caring *that* much about their impact on animals and the environment,
right?

news
wrote:

> > Rubystars wrote:
> >> Apples and oranges are extremely boring.
> >>
> >> I want to try exotic fruits and vegetables, like black sapote, taro,
> >> durian,
> >> and lychees.

> > Taro is a tuber, not a fruit; it grows into a plant like elephant ears.
> > You can get it at HEB or Fiesta. You'll find oranges much more exciting,
> > imo. When cooked into poi, it's pretty bland and starchy. Mmm...
> > http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/poi.jpg

> While I can't comment on where to find taro etc in your area [although if
> you are ever in my neck of the woods, these exotic fruit and vegetables

are
> the norm], I suggest checking out the local Cypriot population. For some
> reason they use quite a bit of taro.
> >
> > Black sapote (sapote negro) is like a persimmon. You can find them at
> > Mexican markets, but you'll probably face the same problem you're having
> > at HEB. Lychees are usually available fresh (and always available canned
> > in syrup) at Asian markets; I've only seen them once at HEB. You can
> > sometimes get them at Mexican markets. Same with durians. I often see
> > both at Asian supermarkets if I pay attention.

> Black sapote icecream! One of my favourites!
> >
> >> Does anyone have a good idea where I might be able to order some? I'd
> >> talk
> >> to the produce guy at my local HEB but he doesnt' understand English
> >> very
> >> well.

> > Try printing out pictures and say, "Yo deseo éstos, por favor" ("I want
> > these, please"). Or find another employee who speaks English.

Rubystars

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Rubystars wrote:
> > Apples and oranges are extremely boring.
> >
> > I want to try exotic fruits and vegetables, like black sapote, taro,

durian,
> > and lychees.

> Taro is a tuber, not a fruit; it grows into a plant like elephant ears.
> You can get it at HEB or Fiesta. You'll find oranges much more exciting,
> imo. When cooked into poi, it's pretty bland and starchy. Mmm...
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/poi.jpg
>
> Black sapote (sapote negro) is like a persimmon. You can find them at
> Mexican markets, but you'll probably face the same problem you're having
> at HEB. Lychees are usually available fresh (and always available canned
> in syrup) at Asian markets; I've only seen them once at HEB. You can
> sometimes get them at Mexican markets. Same with durians. I often see
> both at Asian supermarkets if I pay attention.
>
> > Does anyone have a good idea where I might be able to order some? I'd

talk
> > to the produce guy at my local HEB but he doesnt' understand English

very
> > well.

> Try printing out pictures and say, "Yo deseo éstos, por favor" ("I want
> these, please"). Or find another employee who speaks English.

Thanks for the info.

-Rubystars

Katherine Wolfe

In article >, ps
says...

> Taro is a tuber, not a fruit; it grows into a plant like elephant ears.
> You can get it at HEB or Fiesta. You'll find oranges much more exciting,
> imo. When cooked into poi, it's pretty bland and starchy. Mmm...

http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/poi.jpg

I've cut taro into little shoestrings and fried them like french fries -
those are pretty good. Another option is to cut the taro into cubes,
and simmer slowly in coconut milk, with sugar. In Hawaii it's cooked
that way for children, and can end up being a bit like pudding. I've
also seen taro roots boiled whole and then cooled, cubed, and dressed
with a fruity vinegary dressing, like an alternative potato salad. You
can also blanch and dress the tops like collards, though they have a
tarter taste.

I've had all of these, and liked them, but I have to say that poi is
just nasty. So if you don't like poi either you might one of the
alternate ways of cooking taro.

Katherine
usual suspect

Katherine Wolfe wrote:
>>Taro is a tuber, not a fruit; it grows into a plant like elephant ears.
>>You can get it at HEB or Fiesta. You'll find oranges much more exciting,
>>imo. When cooked into poi, it's pretty bland and starchy. Mmm...
>>http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/poi.jpg

> I've cut taro into little shoestrings and fried them like french fries -
> those are pretty good.

Yes, they can also be sliced thin and fried like potato chips (crisps).
Some stores carry taro chips, not to mention other roots like yuca (or
cassava).

http://www.terrachips.com/products/tc_taro.html
http://www.chifles-chips.com/

> Another option is to cut the taro into cubes,
> and simmer slowly in coconut milk, with sugar. In Hawaii it's cooked
> that way for children, and can end up being a bit like pudding. I've
> also seen taro roots boiled whole and then cooled, cubed, and dressed
> with a fruity vinegary dressing, like an alternative potato salad. You
> can also blanch and dress the tops like collards, though they have a
> tarter taste.

Actually, the flavor varies a lot: those taken from shady areas are a
little milder, imo, and that's probably due to having a little less
chlorophyll. I like the leaves in callaloo (a soup), but they're okay
steamed on their own. I had a couple taro roots shoot off sprouts a few
years ago, so I planted them. Now I have elephant ears all around the
house; can't eat them because of all the chemicals on the lawns up-hill
from me.

> I've had all of these, and liked them, but I have to say that poi is
> just nasty.

Poi is an acquired taste. Or lack of taste.

> So if you don't like poi either you might one of the
> alternate ways of cooking taro.

Another thing is to search for recipes for dasheen (it's Caribbean and
Atlantic Island name). It can also be substituted for potatoes in
curries and other dishes.

Here are more ideas. Some of these are not veg-n, but could be adapted:

Dasheen gnocchi:
http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._21213,00.html

Recipes for dasheen salad, scalloped dasheen, dasheen croquettes,
dasheen relish, and dasheen puffs:
http://www.dexiaexport.com/recipesall.htm

Recipe for callaloo (sub soymilk or whatever for milk):
http://recipes.caribseek.com/Trinida...callaloo.shtml