Lorraine

Default Potato Pancakes

from Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook by George Burke

Potato Pancakes
2 c. Potatoes, peeled and put in cold water to prevent discoloration
1/2 c. Unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp. Sea salt
1/4 c. Cashew or Soy Milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. Non-dairy margarine, melted
1/2 tsp. Dill weed
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper

Stir together the flour, salt, milk, melted margarine, dill weed, and
pepper. Pat one of the potatoes dry and grate it coarsely into a sieve or
colander. Press the grated potato firmly down into the sieve with the back
of a large spoon to remove its moisture, then immediately stir the gratings
into the flour and milk mixture. Repeat this process with each potato until
all have been grated and stirred into the milk and flour. Heat a heavy
skillet that has been lightly oiled. (After this initial oiling, the
margarine in the pancake mixture will be sufficient for frying.) For each
pancake drop about 1/3 cup of mixture into the skillet. Let it fry for
about a minute until a skin forms on the bottom. Then turn over and press
flat - not before. Cook 3 or 4 pancakes at a time, leaving enough space
between them so that they can spread into 3 1/2 to 4-inch cakes. Fry them
about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crisp
around the edges. Transfer the finished pancakes to a heated plate and
cover them with foil to keep them warm while the rest are being cooked. Add
more margarine whenever you need it.

Tastes good with Soy/Tofu Sour Cream or your favorite gravy.

Sabine Blochberger

"Lorraine" > wrote in message
> from Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook by George Burke
>
> Potato Pancakes
> 2 c. Potatoes, peeled and put in cold water to prevent discoloration
> 1/2 c. Unbleached white flour
> 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
> 1/4 c. Cashew or Soy Milk
> 1 1/2 Tbsp. Non-dairy margarine, melted
> 1/2 tsp. Dill weed
> 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
>
> Stir together the flour, salt, milk, melted margarine, dill weed, and
> pepper. Pat one of the potatoes dry and grate it coarsely into a sieve or
> colander. Press the grated potato firmly down into the sieve with the

back
> of a large spoon to remove its moisture, then immediately stir the

gratings
> into the flour and milk mixture. Repeat this process with each potato

until
> all have been grated and stirred into the milk and flour. Heat a heavy
> skillet that has been lightly oiled. (After this initial oiling, the
> margarine in the pancake mixture will be sufficient for frying.) For each
> pancake drop about 1/3 cup of mixture into the skillet. Let it fry for
> about a minute until a skin forms on the bottom. Then turn over and press
> flat - not before. Cook 3 or 4 pancakes at a time, leaving enough space
> between them so that they can spread into 3 1/2 to 4-inch cakes. Fry them
> about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crisp
> around the edges. Transfer the finished pancakes to a heated plate and
> cover them with foil to keep them warm while the rest are being cooked.

Add
> more margarine whenever you need it.
>
> Tastes good with Soy/Tofu Sour Cream or your favorite gravy.

That does sound tasty!

Have you tried using gram flour (made of chick-peas)? It tastes really good
IMO

Cheers,
--
Sabine

Lorraine

"Sabine Blochberger" > wrote in message
> "Lorraine" > wrote in message
> > from Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook by George Burke
> >
> > Potato Pancakes
> > 2 c. Potatoes, peeled and put in cold water to prevent discoloration
> > 1/2 c. Unbleached white flour
> > 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
> > 1/4 c. Cashew or Soy Milk
> > 1 1/2 Tbsp. Non-dairy margarine, melted
> > 1/2 tsp. Dill weed
> > 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
> >
> > Stir together the flour, salt, milk, melted margarine, dill weed, and
> > pepper. Pat one of the potatoes dry and grate it coarsely into a sieve

or
> > colander. Press the grated potato firmly down into the sieve with the

> back
> > of a large spoon to remove its moisture, then immediately stir the

> gratings
> > into the flour and milk mixture. Repeat this process with each potato

> until
> > all have been grated and stirred into the milk and flour. Heat a heavy
> > skillet that has been lightly oiled. (After this initial oiling, the
> > margarine in the pancake mixture will be sufficient for frying.) For

each
> > pancake drop about 1/3 cup of mixture into the skillet. Let it fry for
> > about a minute until a skin forms on the bottom. Then turn over and

press
> > flat - not before. Cook 3 or 4 pancakes at a time, leaving enough space
> > between them so that they can spread into 3 1/2 to 4-inch cakes. Fry

them
> > about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crisp
> > around the edges. Transfer the finished pancakes to a heated plate and
> > cover them with foil to keep them warm while the rest are being cooked.

> Add
> > more margarine whenever you need it.
> >
> > Tastes good with Soy/Tofu Sour Cream or your favorite gravy.
> >

> That does sound tasty!
>
> Have you tried using gram flour (made of chick-peas)? It tastes really

good
> IMO
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Sabine

Hmm... I never thought of that. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks )

Lorraine

katie

thanks for posting that! i was looking for a good potato pancake recipe.
looks awesome () !

"Lorraine" > wrote in message
> from Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook by George Burke
>
> Potato Pancakes
> 2 c. Potatoes, peeled and put in cold water to prevent discoloration
> 1/2 c. Unbleached white flour
> 1/2 tsp. Sea salt
> 1/4 c. Cashew or Soy Milk
> 1 1/2 Tbsp. Non-dairy margarine, melted
> 1/2 tsp. Dill weed
> 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
>
> Stir together the flour, salt, milk, melted margarine, dill weed, and
> pepper. Pat one of the potatoes dry and grate it coarsely into a sieve or
> colander. Press the grated potato firmly down into the sieve with the

back
> of a large spoon to remove its moisture, then immediately stir the

gratings
> into the flour and milk mixture. Repeat this process with each potato

until
> all have been grated and stirred into the milk and flour. Heat a heavy
> skillet that has been lightly oiled. (After this initial oiling, the
> margarine in the pancake mixture will be sufficient for frying.) For each
> pancake drop about 1/3 cup of mixture into the skillet. Let it fry for
> about a minute until a skin forms on the bottom. Then turn over and press
> flat - not before. Cook 3 or 4 pancakes at a time, leaving enough space
> between them so that they can spread into 3 1/2 to 4-inch cakes. Fry them
> about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crisp
> around the edges. Transfer the finished pancakes to a heated plate and
> cover them with foil to keep them warm while the rest are being cooked.

Add
> more margarine whenever you need it.
>
> Tastes good with Soy/Tofu Sour Cream or your favorite gravy.

Potato Pancakes Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 4 06-12-2007 04:00 AM
Potato Pancakes jmcquown General Cooking 29 14-10-2007 05:51 AM
Potato pancakes Ken Knecht General Cooking 18 11-08-2006 02:49 AM
Potato Pancakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:19 PM
Low Fat Potato Pancakes Barry Kimelman Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 03:01 AM